Blown Head Gasket Repair Cost?  

IfTodayWasYourLastDay
  • IfTodayWasYourLastDay
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 169,832
Post #1 post 26th May 2011 - 05:22 AM
I would like to know how much it would cost to repair my 1991 Toyota Hilux Surf Turbo Diesel 2.4L? Am I looking decently big like 700-800 or will it be cheaper do you reckon? Thanks smile.gif
200sx_s13
Post #2

ranging from $500 to $2000 depending if damage has been done to the head

IfTodayWasYourLastDay
Post #3

I really don't know but basically, cars been running with a short leak in the radiator topped it off with some Stop Leak was going to send it away tomorrow morning to be fixed which was only $100 but then soon after Temperature hit the red line pulled over and bam pissing out brown water..

200sx_s13
Post #4

are you sure its even blown then? ive had that happen in my TD terrano, ended up being a fcked water pump, changed it over topped it up with coolant, never heated up again since an thats nearly 2yrs ago

IfTodayWasYourLastDay
Post #5

Well I really hope it's just a water pump. I'm not really smart with cars but I'll have a geezer in the morning and hope to god it isn't a head.

Just to let you's know car was still running, and still starts (not going to try) so I don't know if a car does or doesn't start if heads blown or not.

200sx_s13
Post #6

have you topped the radiator fluid back up? if so is it milky or bubbling when its running? or constabtly pressurising out? or can you see oil in the water?
Usually those are dead give aways for a blown head gasket or warped head etc.

IfTodayWasYourLastDay
Post #7

Really, all I can say is that I know yes, it was brown milky when it blew and from what I know it means it's fucked.

200sx_s13
Post #8

what about afterwards when you topped it back up and started it? or have you not got that far yet,
The brown an milkyish from when ut blew could just be the remaining crap left inside the radiator in an older vehicle,

IfTodayWasYourLastDay
Post #9

Uhhm it's actually sitting on the side of the road at the moment going to pick it up tomorrow morning so yeah :L But I'll try that sounds like a good plan to start from thanks smile.gif

iamhappy46
Post #10

Check the engine oil for milkiness as well, Water in the sump is a sure sign.

Get a pressure test done on the cooling system first wink.gif

blacky83
Post #11

On some cars, dunno about this one, water pumps can be harder to change than head gaskets. So not necessarily worth wishing for that.

200sx_s13
Post #12

yes waterpumps can be, it also depends on what you can do yourself. The Terrano waterpump alone was $300, however i did everything bar from fitting it, got a mobile mechanic 2 do that and charged me $50 as he just did 15mins work, i did the rest.
Shops quoted me $800 for supply and install though

IfTodayWasYourLastDay
Post #13

Well I just had my car running to warm, no sign of completely overheating just the casual leaking from the radiator. I had topped it off with 2l of water and gave it some revs and drove it around block couple of times. The water was clear.. But last night it seemed like it exploded from the Engine Coolant area so yeah?

DreamS13
Post #14

go pay like 60 bucks and get a co2 tester and be sure cause you dont wanna spend that much money for nothing... and if it comes up and a blown head gasket put some stop leaks in your radiator for blown head gaskets and should be alright depending on the damage

Stig53
Post #15

I blew the gasket on my VU commodore and its gonna cost me $80 so previded there's no other damage (it only blew out between the water jacket and the outside edge so no water in oil) it should be a fairly cheap fix. however if you've damaged the head it'll cost a fair bit more..

SMiTHBRo
Post #16

It's a Surf. The headgasket always blows on the 2.4L motors. Will be upwards of $1k to just repair your current motor. Best option is to can the 2L motor and install 3L/5L from later series diesel toyota.

BOZZO
Post #17

haha $80 to fix head hahahahahahahaha

tpan
Post #18

QUOTE (BOZZO @ May 27 2011, 04:00 PM) *
haha $80 to fix head hahahahahahahaha

This.

Even if the head itself is fine it's gonna cost you close to 4 figures. If the head is cracked or warped, budget $2000.

IfTodayWasYourLastDay
Post #19

If it's going to cost alot, I'm going to run it into a tree or something.. atleast insurance will cover me for ride off smile.gif

wbtonner
Post #20

Yeah....a ride off.....oopsie.gif

ayden m
Post #21

QUOTE (IfTodayWasYourLastDay @ May 27 2011, 11:21 PM) *
If it's going to cost alot, I'm going to run it into a tree or something.. atleast insurance will cover me for ride off smile.gif

Roll it over a couple of times that should do the job ph34r.gif

warney
Post #22

sure you dont have a cracked pipe or something ???

Initial D
Post #23

$1195

FCdrifter
Post #24

a mate was asked to fix one of these and when he pulled the head off the head was completely corroded and so was the top of 2 pistons and the top of the block was stuffed. had to just buy another engine from the wreckers.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x