Hilux Vs Navara.  

rowan141
  • rowan141
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 209,662
Post #1 post 9th February 2011 - 01:16 AM
My parents are looking at buying a new(brand new) car. theyre tossing up between the hilux sr5 4x4 dual cab or the d22 navara stylside. the hilux has an extra 20k slapped on it but is the navara worth the compromise?

so, who owns one? previous experiences?

Cheers, all help appreciated.

(my Brother posted a topic regarding the same question but his account doesnt seem to be working so ill ask on mine)
mr Tonka
Post #2

go the lux love mine

xilli
Post #3

Honestly after having owned both of the vehicles you mentioned through the company over the last few years i can safely say the hilux is leagues ahead. There is absolutely nothing the Navara does as good as the hilux. The clutch burns out and can't handle towing, i replaced two during its warranty perioid. The interior is cheaper, the ride is worse, the visibility is worse, the turbo diesel powerband was nowhere near as effective and useable and i could go on with more petty things.

Do yourself a favor, buy the hilux, particularly if its an SR5 (that's what we have now, it's brilliant).

redman
Post #4

Tough Choice... My 2 mates both have Hilux's and they're always into me about how good the hilux is...
One guy has the SR5 petrol and has just done the Head on it and is due for a rebuild - He's done 180,000..
The other Hilux 3l T/D - His wheel bearings shat themselves on the beach and starter motor shat itself. Now he found both diffs have slight leaks. He is upto around the 160,000..

My 2005 3l T/D Navara, 220,000 and the only problem ive had is my genuine nissan suspension is starting to sag, so im due for new suspension but hey its done alot of km's... It goes wherever theirs does, quicker.. And tows 3 ton boat about with ease... Doesnt miss a beat, no leaking oils, no strange sounds...
Have driven all 3 cars on road/beach/bush and i must say i like driving the navara the best but probably cause i own it i guess?

There are lemons out there and there are people who dont know how to look after their vehicle, Do the right mods (Maybe not with new car warranty)...

I wouldnt say there is much between them except for the price tag.

Take both vehicles for a test drive, that usually tells me straight away if i like it or not... 20k is a lot of money n i know i wouldnt be prepared to fork out 20k for a very similiar vehicle...

PS: The new SR5's look mint!

quarkz
Post #5

Take it from someone who works in a mechanical workshop in a mining town, the Hilux is better hands down. Nothing stands up to abuse of mines like the Hilux's. Hardly any companies or fleets out here have Navaras and there's a reason.

rowan141
Post #6

Cheers fellas, i do believe we are going with the hilux

tuff33
Post #7

hilux for the win , reliable and worth every cent !! will out last another other in its catogory in the ute range

lm4215
Post #8

Can anyone out there tell me if i can slot the ca20 twin spark, fuel injected series from the 31 skyline into my 20l gutless navara, i dont know too much about the differences but i used to have a jap blubird 85 with a carby version, cams, flowed, exhaust when i got it and it used to slide third no worries.

I want the same result in my ute, It's a 95 d21, If so what will i be looking at fabrication wise.

the motors look identical, everythin seems to be in the same place except its missing another set of plugs haha, im on a budget and i know nisan's are usually pretty good with family swaps?

any other ideas would help, thanx

ride29er
Post #9

QUOTE (lm4215 @ Feb 10 2011, 06:17 PM) *
Can anyone out there tell me if i can slot the ca20 twin spark, fuel injected series from the 31 skyline into my 20l gutless navara, i dont know too much about the differences but i used to have a jap blubird 85 with a carby version, cams, flowed, exhaust when i got it and it used to slide third no worries.

I want the same result in my ute, It's a 95 d21, If so what will i be looking at fabrication wise.

the motors look identical, everythin seems to be in the same place except its missing another set of plugs haha, im on a budget and i know nisan's are usually pretty good with family swaps?

any other ideas would help, thanx

+200k members, whats this site coming to
:mamoru:

miick
Post #10

i brought a navara simply because i didnt have the extra 20 - 25k to spend on a new car,

Housey
Post #11

Our navara (06 ST-X turbodiesel I think) has been pretty shit.

Its done all of 20 minutes light offroading through some sand in its life so I can't comment on offroad ability but in only 100,000 kms the brakes must have all been changed 3 times, they still feel very spongey, suspension has been replaced and a bunch of other little things. Not to mention the interior is horrible as are the seats

rx3rotor20b
Post #12

ive got 2010 hilux 4x4 3L turbo diesel..is best ute ever owned ..
been thru bout 10+ so f4r till now
doesnt miss 4 be4t ..hilux for the win :o

ripv8s
Post #13

i have a bt50 dual cab turbo diesel and its the best thing ever
towing the car trailer hardly seems there and ive done nearly 30 000 kms and not a single drama hey, have spoken to alot of my mates who have tyhe others and when they drive mine there like should of bought one of these,
each to their own but

Silver Surfer
Post #14

I have no dramas with my 3L TD 2010 Colorado

blownhilux
Post #15

QUOTE (rx3rotor20b @ Feb 12 2011, 06:53 PM) *
ive got 2010 hilux 4x4 3L turbo diesel..is best ute ever owned ..
been thru bout 10+ so f4r till now
doesnt miss 4 be4t ..hilux for the win :o

low profile wheels on a four wheel drive = totally gay

mark1414
Post #16

Pretty sure those Narvaras had a really bad name. Mate had a brand new one in 07 and it needed a clutch after a few months + various other things. I wouldn't go near them, would rather get a lower spec Hilux if your on a budget.

Beannie
Post #17

if your on a budget, go the navara d22 :o try and steer away from the early model d40's as these have many gearbox/clutch/motor issues

if you have the money, sure go with the hilux, just be prepared to pay the extra coin - they are a better 4x4 sure, but for the price, the navara is great

i bought a new d22 (2.5L) in 2008 and its great, not one single problem and does everything that is required of it (towing boat, offroad, beach, daily driver to work) etc..
infact, going to condamine gorge tomorrow in it.

pzwart88
Post #18

just been away for the weekend in my 05 d22 3.3l petrol and it has never missed a beat and it gets up and boogies fairly well to. But having said that if i had an extra 20k a i would have probably gone with the hilux

boost bogan
Post #19

im gonna say this once and once only, iv driven an sr5 09 hilux, a 10' navara st-r and the mitsubishi glx-r 08' the current 2.5 navara is GUTLESS off boost, hilux is asking waaaay too much for the vehicle they are providing, if it were my money id buy the triton, currently i have a d22 and my next vehicle is going to be a GU patrol wagon but in that category the triton seems to have hit the nail on the head. P.s have a look under a D40 next time you see one, thier clearance sucks and the dodgey sheils are not going to stop 2 tonne of 4WD from hitting that rock

Take this for what you will but 4WD action had quite a good write up about 1.5 years ago, might be worth looking for

rx3rotor20b
Post #20

QUOTE (blownhilux @ Feb 12 2011, 09:53 PM) *
low profile wheels on a four wheel drive = totally gay

ive got 3 x sets of wheels for my hilux so your opinion is G4Y ... :ph34r:

other wheels ..33s on 15 x 11s centrelines & sr5 wheels with bigger 31s 4x4 tyres on them for the be4ch & c4mping trips :ph34r:

2wheeler837
Post #21

hilux for shaw, if i had the coin id go it , i went the mazda bt50 its great tows a work trailer thats heavy as shit still gets about 550 to a tank thats 2wd though , my old man has the 3L its amazing tows the drag car no problems, my sister has the glxr triton i found it very nice although more of a truck feel to drive

blownhilux
Post #22

my initial comment still stands, low profile wheels on a 4x4 are totally gay.

From experience go for the hilux, they are more expensive because they have better build quality and are overall a better vehicle

(mr2)
Post #23

What's everyone's views on the Isuzu Dmax then, these seem weel priced and from the little I have heard they go pretty good. Personally I would still go the toyota and have a Hilux but considering that Isuzu are only making Trucks/ 4WD's they must be doing something right then.

Paolo
Post #24

I have a bt50 and love it. I am on my second one and cant fault them. Best thing to do it get a auto though.

TysonBrock
Post #25

Mate I might be adding the same comments as everyone else,

I have owned by 2004 STR Navara 3.0L Diesel for over a year and half now and to be honest it is a pretty good 4WD for under $25K.

Dramas I have had recently:

Sagged front suspension and very low clearance
Alternator and battery went at the same time ($700 later :thumbsup: )
Starting to get a squeaking clutch

Off road it has gone well and through some deep water and steep mud, and honestly it handles and performs well. I wish it had a bit more grunt however it drives well on and off road.

I just re did the lift kit and new tyres and wheels, only wish I could lift it higher cheaper.

Personally if I had the extra $15K i would buy a Hilux, they look awesome, solid engines and good clearance. But you pay for it mate!

Test drive is the best idea and your budget ultimately decides mate. Have fun brother!

josh...ute...
Post #26

D22 are shit and cheap. If you go the nissan gota be a D40 but if you get the hulix just get an SR. the SR5 is a waste of money. the extra money you spend for the SR5 could be put towards some useful mods like a lift or a nice front bar rather than there fugly ass stockos.

sly supra
Post #27

or look at what the boys on top gear did to there lux, i recently pulled an 07 navara off the beach with my 95 lux, blew a cluch rattled like shithouse,definatlet go the lux

HighLuxBoi
Post #28

Mate, go with a Hilux ive owned a Hilux Duel cab 1993 sr5 since it came off the line *so basically b4 i was born hah!* and we have only just replaced the rear diff at 480 000ks! everything else on it is brilliant but meanwhile one of my friends has just purchased themselfs a nissan navara and already he's replaced a head gasket and his CVs are just gone...and he's owned it for....not even 2 months now....so go with the trsuty luxy i say xP

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x