250 Crossflow Crank In 202 - as above  

Wi1dvh
  • Wi1dvh
  • Budding User
  • Member No.: 184,750
Post #1 post 21st December 2010 - 06:02 AM
hey all i have heared that a 250 ford crossflow crank wil go into a 202 holden just wondering if anyone has done it or know who will do it or even how to do it and where can i get some specs
thanks all

oh yeah it is a 3.3ltr 202 blue motor

This post has been edited by Wi1dvh: Dec 23 2010, 03:36 AM
joe blo
Post #2

ive herd of this i think. google it

alpharx7
Post #3

i've heard of it being done as well, and if memory serves me right it strokes the motor out to 238 cubes.

dazzazoo
Post #4

i highly doubt it would be a straight fit ... the 250 crank is bigger than the 202 so some machining would be involved

OIM.666
Post #5

Red 186 motor with a modified ford 221 crank gives a 238 stroker.

fingerbanger
Post #6

You can use Hemi 6 cranks too i've heard.

bazdat
Post #7

yeah, best bet it 221 ford crank into 186. either way some machining of the journals would be needed.

trev084
Post #8

Also heard from a very experienced engine builder that you can put a 250 x flow head (backwards) on a Holden 6, was apparently done many times back in the day.

sleepercorty
Post #9

yes you can put a crossflow ford head on a holden six, and also 221 ford crank into holden six but is not just a bolt on job. it would be cheaper just to put a holden v8 in your car.

wbtonner
Post #10

Its a 221 crank, not a cheap or easy job either. Not cost effective. Also crossflow head modified and mounted back to front. Not cheap or easy and not cost effective.
Do believe something has to be cut and welded with the ford crank :D Imagine if it broke after all the cash you spent on it. Just buy the stroker knife edge kit off ebay. Cheaper, WILL WORK and is guaranteed performance!

If you PM I can put you onto a mate who has a 186 with 221 crank flat tops, decent rods etc. Just the bottom end minus cam.
Or i'll give you some Ideas on how to make quick easy hp from your 202 with basic cheapish mods.

Fingerbanger: I have heard a myth you can but have ben told you CANNOT by an engine builder I know.

Yes its being different etc, but you can't see the difference and hp gains are minimal and are outweighed by massive cost.

fingerbanger
Post #11

QUOTE (wbtonner @ Dec 22 2010, 10:45 PM) *
Its a 221 crank, not a cheap or easy job either. Not cost effective. Also crossflow head modified and mounted back to front. Not cheap or easy and not cost effective.
Do believe something has to be cut and welded with the ford crank :D Imagine if it broke after all the cash you spent on it. Just buy the stroker knife edge kit off ebay. Cheaper, WILL WORK and is guaranteed performance!

If you PM I can put you onto a mate who has a 186 with 221 crank flat tops, decent rods etc. Just the bottom end minus cam.
Or i'll give you some Ideas on how to make quick easy hp from your 202 with basic cheapish mods.

Fingerbanger: I have heard a myth you can but have ben told you CANNOT by an engine builder I know.

Yes its being different etc, but you can't see the difference and hp gains are minimal and are outweighed by massive cost.

I was told that by an old drunk once at a pub when we were discussing a few things and he over heard. I was also told you can use Hemi 6 pistons? Bloke told me him and his mates did it to there FJ's back in the day and showed me photos of lines they painted on the road that went for 50 metres or more.

wbtonner
Post #12

Like painted or actually painted? :thumbsup: LOL

LOL, i'd like to see a hemi piston fit in the old 138 motor haha.

I've heard many a story from old crazy people who tell me their hero stories. One in particular at A & B wreckers in Aranda st, a bloke changed the jets in his single barrel stromberg in his 186 powered 4 door lj and then beat a GTHO P3. Was like "Oooooo......ok." :blink:
Then thankfully Andrew came back with my part and I left rather quickly.

v8zuki
Post #13

ford 221 crank into red motor
step 1-cut front snout off both cranks then machine a spigot on the holden snout to press into the ford crank
2-cut the rear ends off bothcranks and repaet the process
3-machine main journals down to fit red motor
4- using blue rods braze or silver solder up the sides of the big end journals or wels a ridge on the big end areas of the crank rod method works better
5 have to grind clearance reliefs in block at the bottom of bores and the sides where the sump meets ,panelbeat sump to suit
6-grind reliefs in camshaft use abillet cam for more strength
as you can see there is a bit of machining to do not to bad for better torque but there are other ways to do it easier
hemi 6 pistons in grey and red motors used to be very common as the piston has a bigger offset on the gudgeon pin ie- its not straight above the crank this allows more time a tdc for better flame propogation
i have never done the ford head swap but was working with a guy who developed twin cam heads for holden red and blue and ford 6cyl motors
have done numerous crank conversions but its not worth thew agro these days

wbtonner
Post #14

TWIN CAM RED MOTOR :wavey:

You sound like you definetly know what your talking about, or copy paste :)

Gassed250
Post #15

QUOTE (v8zuki @ Dec 23 2010, 08:01 PM) *
i have never done the ford head swap but was working with a guy who developed twin cam heads for holden red and blue and ford 6cyl motors
have done numerous crank conversions but its not worth thew agro these days

That would be the krogdahl head

Done a 235 for a bloke many years ago, engine had a Phil Irving head and Mcgee mechanical injection

I did try the 250 crank in a red block and theres no chance it will fit with the cam in the block

Pic of a random Irving head

minirobbie
Post #16

jag 4.2l sixes use the same rings and bearings as holden 202 motors 202 holden pistons also fit jag 4.2 sixes they have the same pin heights but jag pistons have a dome on top to fit in the head so i dont know if you could use them or not , have been told that twin cam jag heads are similar in the bolt patterns too , but know very little about holden sixes so i cant say if thats a myth or not, did a v12 jag motor into a hq once tho ... used a turbo350 behind the jag motor and a bit of fiddling with mounts but they fit nicley and made the old hq smooth lol i have done a few wierd conversions for people ...

Gassed250
Post #18

QUOTE (wbtonner @ Dec 24 2010, 09:06 PM) *

yeah very similar to the Irving/Duggan heads

minirobbie was that jag V12 in a a panel van called ally cat ??

A few jags had the hydromatic boxes as oem hey, I dont know if they're the same bolt pattern as the chebby though

minirobbie
Post #19

QUOTE (Gassed250 @ Dec 24 2010, 08:29 PM) *
yeah very similar to the Irving/Duggan heads

minirobbie was that jag V12 in a a panel van called ally cat ??

A few jags had the hydromatic boxes as oem hey, I dont know if they're the same bolt pattern as the chebby though

nah it was in a wagon of all things , standard looking blue with a white roof , even had standard rims with hub caps ... and yeah they had either the turbo 350 or the turbo 400 , my xjs has a turbo 400 in it. and no definatly not the same bolt pattern lol jag motors have like 11 bolts in the bell housing ! but its amazing what is compatible between ford/holden and jag stuff ... airflow meters in a series 3 are the same as an xf ... most of the sensors on a v12 and a 6 are all holden , needed a coolant temp sensor for a 6 once from jaguar was 85.00 got same part for a vl in a standard box for 16.00 !!! had a 6 jag with triple webber throttle bodies a bit of headwork and some custom extractors made a shade under 350 hp at the wheels and you could still send the missus to the shop on sunday morning in it

v8zuki
Post #20

QUOTE (Gassed250 @ Dec 24 2010, 06:34 PM) *
That would be the krogdahl head

Done a 235 for a bloke many years ago, engine had a Phil Irving head and Mcgee mechanical injection

I did try the 250 crank in a red block and theres no chance it will fit with the cam in the block

Pic of a random Irving head

yes it was a krogdahl head he spent years working on it
and to wbtonner i have done the conversion many times so no copy paste :ugh:
and yes 250 crank dont fit we tried to machine it down but no joy couldnt get enough meat left to make it reliable
ended up going with a 3.3 blue block bmw conrods ross blower pistons stratos 3 turbo kit from repco very popular in the day and a to4 turbo with draw through carb 750dp and made 547hp at 7600rpm on engine dyno :) :bowdown: :ugh:
much easier to get power than the old stroker method took a lot of man hrs to make it work
dont know what ever happened to bob and his twin cam heads only made 10 from memory 1 was cut up for r and d 2 got sold 2 were development mules. bob even drove one in a red xd ute all the way to melbourne and back to townsville for a reliability run stopped at street machine to show them and they did a small feature on it.unfortunatly the ea falcon came out the next year and his design was left behind bit sad for the amount of work that went into it

fingerbanger
Post #21

QUOTE (wbtonner @ Dec 23 2010, 06:22 PM) *
Like painted or actually painted? B) LOL

LOL, i'd like to see a hemi piston fit in the old 138 motor haha.

I've heard many a story from old crazy people who tell me their hero stories. One in particular at A & B wreckers in Aranda st, a bloke changed the jets in his single barrel stromberg in his 186 powered 4 door lj and then beat a GTHO P3. Was like "Oooooo......ok." B)
Then thankfully Andrew came back with my part and I left rather quickly.

Hahahaha Painted as in "skids" Lol!! B)

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x