Going From A 6 To An 8 In A Wb - what do i have to do  

wbkingo82
  • wbkingo82
  • Site Newbie
  • Member No.: 171,299
Post #1 post 10th June 2009 - 01:45 PM
ive got a wb kingswood styleside ute and it had a 202 in it ive removed it now and want to put an 8 in it most likely a 253 so its not too bad on fuel do i have to change the k frame or anything else in it also does anyone know where i can get a celica or supra 5 spd cheap ive got a 4spd but dont want it and what sort of shit do i need to do to get it registered do i need a mod plate

thanks for your help guys.
eh-buddy
Post #2

QUOTE (wbkingo82 @ Jun 10 2009, 01:45 PM) *
ive got a wb kingswood styleside ute and it had a 202 in it ive removed it now and want to put an 8 in it most likely a 253 so its not too bad on fuel do i have to change the k frame or anything else in it also does anyone know where i can get a celica or supra 5 spd cheap ive got a 4spd but dont want it and what sort of shit do i need to do to get it registered do i need a mod plate

thanks for your help guys.

to put a 253/308 in it you will need v8 engine mounts and a hq style sump as the chassis are the same

your wiring will need to be lengthend for your starter motor and you will need a wb v8 radiator as the 6 cylinder radiator has the out lets on the wrong sides for a 253

also your motor should be a "blue" motor to be easy on a mod plate if you need one but most inspection guys realy dont care

you may need v8 springs and your 4 speed needs to be out off a v8 or it will not fit as the input shaft is different

the diff will be strong enough even if its a borg warner style diff compared to the salisbury 10 bolt style

carlover333
Post #3

Hey mate.
Would you be able to tell me how this all goes as i have exactly the same car and will probably be doing the same thing soon.
thanks heaps, hope it goes well for you

PUL-518
Post #4

QUOTE (carlover333 @ Jun 10 2009, 08:59 PM) *
Hey mate.
Would you be able to tell me how this all goes as i have exactly the same car and will probably be doing the same thing soon.
thanks heaps, hope it goes well for you

Wouldn't bother with 253 go 308 or 350 u will regret 253 just my 2c

carlover333
Post #5

yea i was also thinking about stroking a 308.
i dunno, i might not do it to the ute, i might buy a sedan and do that.
thanks anyway

the_random_hero
Post #6

"The 253 is an amazing engine - it has the fuel consumption of a big 8, yet the power of a small six"

QFT.

racerphill
Post #7

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hehehehe mamoru.gif

VKGRP3
Post #8

QUOTE (eh-buddy @ Jun 10 2009, 04:20 PM) *
to put a 253/308 in it you will need v8 engine mounts and a hq style sump as the chassis are the same

your wiring will need to be lengthend for your starter motor and you will need a wb v8 radiator as the 6 cylinder radiator has the out lets on the wrong sides for a 253

also your motor should be a "blue" motor to be easy on a mod plate if you need one but most inspection guys realy dont care

you may need v8 springs and your 4 speed needs to be out off a v8 or it will not fit as the input shaft is different

the diff will be strong enough even if its a borg warner style diff compared to the salisbury 10 bolt style

Hit the nail on the head mate, but as far as i know you have to get the bigger brake booster aswell just about to do similar conversion

biggrin.gif

eh-buddy
Post #9

QUOTE (VKGRP3 @ Jul 11 2009, 11:16 AM) *
Hit the nail on the head mate, but as far as i know you have to get the bigger brake booster aswell just about to do similar conversion

biggrin.gif

the brake booster is the same in drum rear end theres no differance in 6 or v8 brake booster/master cylinder the only differance is a dual diapham brake booster for disk brake rear end

JayWA
Post #10

253's aren't that bad. Don't use much fuel. Depends on what it's being used for though. I have a 253 blue motor for sale. It's much easier to change k frame and all that at the same time aswel. That's what i do, cheers

Statham
Post #11

go a vn v6 s1
easy conversion
Can always bolt on a supercharger down the track if your on the hunt for a bit more poke
power or a 308 and much better economy
Cheap conversion too!

eh-buddy
Post #12

QUOTE (JayWA @ Jul 14 2009, 01:34 PM) *
253's aren't that bad. Don't use much fuel. Depends on what it's being used for though. I have a 253 blue motor for sale. It's much easier to change k frame and all that at the same time aswel. That's what i do, cheers

k frame???? hate to brake it you dude but hq/wb utes are full chassis cars and as for the conversion 6 cylinder and v8 chassis are the same its just the engine mounts and sump that are different

racerphill
Post #13

Maybe he uses a gas axe and welder to do an engine swap?? dunno.gif

JayWA
Post #14

I have only worked on VB, VC and VH's out of holdens so i didn't know much about WB's as the only one i've had was just to drive around did no work to it, cheers

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x