Swapping Tray To Styleside. - mod plate needed?  

BravLow
  • BravLow
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 96,960
Post #1 post 24th May 2009 - 11:54 PM
is some sort of approval needed to swap from an alloy tray to a styleside tray of the same model?
iNfLuEnCe
Post #2

would also like to know tongue.gif

Dan_The_Man
Post #3

Would also like to know, and where the best place to get one would be? for a 2004 hilux dual cab 4x4

that_rodeo_guy
Post #4

That's a good question. I would also like to know haha.

Although I highly doubt it.

psiwpn
Post #5

i would also like to know hahaha. just thought id carr it on. i would like to do it but cant find a tub for my ute

BravLow
Post #6

jump on the bandwagon lol..... im gettin the parts guy at work to find one for me.. just need to know the legalities of it all.

luxxy101
Post #7

there shouldnt be legalities with it dosent say on the engine bay plates 2wd tray blah blah blah , so u should be alright but if u do change it make sure u ring up ur insurance 2 tell them ur car has changed as they will be like hang on ur car didnt have this on it before blah blah blah shit storm occurs

psiwpn
Post #8

would anyone know where to find a tub for a 1978 datsun 1500 ute?

lickme
Post #9

hey guys, well to help u out. there is nothin u have to change with the law/mod plates with puttin a tub on. the only thing that is hard and costs is callin everyone and lookin 4 a tub, once u find one drop her on and ur sweet to go. i myself am lookin 4 a 83-88 single cab tub.

iNfLuEnCe
Post #10

ive wanted to do this for awhile was thinkin an 08 cab chassis tub or just an 05 model

aybro
Post #11

that black datto ute is sick!!!

James.H_93
Post #12

interested in getting an 06' hilux tub.

wolverine89
Post #13

As lickme stated, no you don't have to get it mod plated. As it has nothing to do with the load rating, of passenger seating.
You just have to un-bolt your old tray There will most likely be 6 bolts that bolt to the chassie , fuel filler, and depending on the model, the wiring may be attached to the under side of the tray, not the chassie rain. Lift it off. ( You will need a few mates to give you a hand as there pretty heavy.lol ) Lift the tub on. line the holes up, the fuel filler. re-connect the wiring. Ans it should be sweet to drive.

PSIWPN, have a talk to Adam at Dr Datto Motorsports, as he is rebiulding one of those atm, and it looking for a tub to. Last time i spoke to him. He was in talks with a guy to get sum brand new ones imports over here. Along with 1200 utes panels, 720 and other stuff. His number is 0414854567. Or his business partner Tony 0413637915. Business number 1300 79 66 55.
http://www.drdatto.com/

heathy003
Post #14

would it be much harder to put a space cab style side on instead of a single cab longer style side on if you guys no what i mean

ModMasterPaul
Post #15

QUOTE (heathy003 @ Jun 1 2009, 08:50 PM) *
would it be much harder to put a space cab style side on instead of a single cab longer style side on if you guys no what i mean

wot, shorty or gappy?

on topic, wolverine89 is spot on with how to. there also shouldn't be any legalities involved however my id plate says toyota hilux rn25 c/c. assuming c/c means cab/chassis and asuming cab/chassis means factory trayback not tub then technically i would probably need some sort of certification saying i have "modified" my vehicle, sorta in the same manor an engine needs certification if it differs from the one on the id plate?
ps if u have access to an A frame and block n tackle then it's heaps easy to lift off n drive out smile.gif

heathy003
Post #16

QUOTE (ModMasterPaul @ Jun 1 2009, 10:06 PM) *
wot, shorty or gappy?

on topic, wolverine89 is spot on with how to. there also shouldn't be any legalities involved however my id plate says toyota hilux rn25 c/c. assuming c/c means cab/chassis and asuming cab/chassis means factory trayback not tub then technically i would probably need some sort of certification saying i have "modified" my vehicle, sorta in the same manor an engine needs certification if it differs from the one on the id plate?
ps if u have access to an A frame and block n tackle then it's heaps easy to lift off n drive out smile.gif

Like a shorty

ModMasterPaul
Post #17

yes a shorty would be MUCH harder than just swapping a tray unless you are adept at swinging the electric axe and applying the electric glue. n i think a shorty is only legal when the length is taken from behind the rear axle n not cut n shut to make a shorter wheelbase tho i could be wrong. pretty sure there was a topic somewhere on boost bout shorty.
--end hijack--

BravLow, chuck your tub on n keep your old tray so if you cop any grief that you can't prove your way out of you could simply change back n be a wiser person thereafter smile.gif

BravLow
Post #18

thanks for the helpful posts guys!

GCC91
Post #19

dont need to do anything with my ute conversion from tray to styleside, it was registered at utility which is same as it would be if it was styleside, only thing to do is change your insurance obviously hope this helps

Ryan Dean
Post #20

anyone know where i can get single cab styleside tray for 07 ranger?ive been lookin for ages now

BravLow
Post #21

ebay has heaps man

5EX4A1
Post #22

omg! people you do not need any sort of approval to change ure tray to a tub or visa versa... cab chassis is exactly what is says...has nothing to do with the rear, hence why it's all removable..

and if u wanna shorty goldcoast chassis lengthening i think can do it fairly cheap, thats rails shortened, brakelines, fuel lines, tailshaft and handbrake...

5EX4A1
Post #23

omg! people you do not need any sort of approval to change ure tray to a tub or visa versa... cab chassis is exactly what is says...has nothing to do with the rear, hence why it's all removable..

and if u wanna shorty goldcoast chassis lengthening i think can do it fairly cheap, thats rails shortened, brakelines, fuel lines, tailshaft and handbrake...

no_fear_609
Post #24

QUOTE (iNfLuEnCe @ May 26 2009, 06:56 PM) *
ive wanted to do this for awhile was thinkin an 08 cab chassis tub or just an 05 model

i think you should stay with from 97 i think it is till then end of your model, i think it would look much nicer.

bravo
Post #25

You don't need any mod plates full stop... And to answer your question Ryan Dean, Got to a Ford service department and they have got fuck loads of trays sitting out back that they are planning on turning to scrap. Offer to buy one off them

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x