Page 1 of 13
Jump to page
BALSAK
  • BALSAK
  • Budding User
  • Contributing Member!
  • Member No.: 133,326
Post #1 post 27th November 2008 - 09:30 PM
Well I'm gonna ask the mods to keep this thread open, unless it gets spammed by idiots.

I want to use this thread for questions about my Corolla, seeing as I still have a long way to go, instead of opening a new thread or spamming the random thread.

So, the first question/problem is:

I got a new distributor, but the car still won't start rant2.gif .
I unplugged one of the spark plugs, and noticed that there's no spark. What could cause this to happen?

PS: I wouldn't mind to receiving answers/solutions via PM, just to keep the bullshit shitstirring out of this thread.

Thanks in advance.
JET_RB25
Post #2

Dude take the car to Dave. YOu will have it sorted within a day i reckon

BALSAK
Post #3

Took it there already, he told me to put the distributor in, and I did, I won't be able to take it there coz I won't be able to afford it right now, maybe next month, but I'd just like to play around and try figure out what the problem is, I'm trying to learn new things..... smile.gif

Darkness
Post #4

Well it's great you are trying to do things yourself, but well you haven't been having much luck of late.

Dave would be the best bet before things get worse.

However, stick with it, great to see you learning, unlike me, but then again I have a good excuse.

BALSAK
Post #5

Aw well I'll go talk to him and give him the bottle of scotch while I'm there.

Hopefully he can tell me what I should do, I can't even afford a towtruck to get the car there.

And next week I'll be broke, but at least I'll have a certain blue Corolla sitting in my yard by next week Friday.

vh-holden
Post #6

when you pulled the plug out, did you earth it? you need to earth the threaded bit so the circuit is closed.

BALSAK
Post #7

I'll give it a try tomorow when I wake up, can't be bothered putting clothes on this time of the night

Thanks

JET_RB25
Post #8

QUOTE(BALSAK @ Nov 27 2008, 09:42 PM) [snapback]1283213331[/snapback]

Took it there already, he told me to put the distributor in, and I did, I won't be able to take it there coz I won't be able to afford it right now, maybe next month, but I'd just like to play around and try figure out what the problem is, I'm trying to learn new things..... smile.gif

Yeah i know your trying to do it ya self but seems you are getting nowhere.

Only thing i am worried bout is the fact that you will make it worst by changing things that are not the prob. You not knowing fully what your doing you change them wrong and make it all worst.

Maybe try putting the stock computer in. That Microtech might not even be tuned for a 20 valve. That was never confirmed when i sold it to Stephen. Was told that is what its for but peeps will say anything to sell shit.

Darkness
Post #9

QUOTE(BALSAK @ Nov 27 2008, 09:18 PM) [snapback]1283213375[/snapback]

I'll give it a try tomorow when I wake up, can't be bothered putting clothes on this time of the night

Thanks

Do it in the nude, that's how I do everything. oopsie.gif

But yeah, also the gent with the possum gives good advice.

vh-holden
Post #10

QUOTE(Darkness @ Nov 27 2008, 09:20 PM) [snapback]1283213397[/snapback]

it is a wallaroo now.

instead of taking the plugs out, whack a screw driver up the lead and let it earth out on the engine. just watch out for sparks cos they hurt.

paddles7
Post #11

How did you test for spark exactly? Actually first, did you static time the distributor at all? You can't just slap the dizzy in - can cause big BIG problems if you start it with timing way out.

Assuming dizzy is timed (even mis-timed it will spark, but time it first) To check for spark:
- Take spark plug lead off any spark plug, leaving it connected at the dizzy cap.
- Look down the end of the lead, see the metal clip looking doohicky? Stick a metal object (ie. something electrically conductive) such as a screwdriver into that metal clip, not too hard, just enough to make a connection.
- Carefully rest the head of the screwdriver on the car body such that the metal shank of the screwdriver is within about 20 or 30mm of an EXPOSED metal part of the car. The metal part of the screwdriver must be near (But not touching!!) exposed metal so the spark has somewhere to go. Inlet manifold, head etc. are often a good earth to use. (remember, close but not touching)
- Get your hands away and watch for a spark between screwdriver and earth while your dad cranks the motor.

BALSAK
Post #12

QUOTE(JET_RB25 @ Nov 27 2008, 10:20 PM) [snapback]1283213395[/snapback]

Yeah i know your trying to do it ya self but seems you are getting nowhere.

Only thing i am worried bout is the fact that you will make it worst by changing things that are not the prob. You not knowing fully what your doing you change them wrong and make it all worst.

Maybe try putting the stock computer in. That Microtech might not even be tuned for a 20 valve. That was never confirmed when i sold it to Stephen. Was told that is what its for but peeps will say anything to sell shit.

Did you sell the ECU to Stephen, or the car? Coz if you sold him the car, you're the one that should be drinking beer with me trying to fukn fix it!!!!! tongue.gif

QUOTE(Darkness @ Nov 27 2008, 10:20 PM) [snapback]1283213397[/snapback]

I don't want to go outside naked right now, the neighbors are having a BBQ and they've got a HOT 16 year old daughter... don't want her to jump on me... I've had a long day.

QUOTE(vh-holden @ Nov 27 2008, 10:23 PM) [snapback]1283213415[/snapback]

it is a wallaroo now.
instead of taking the plugs out, whack a screw driver up the lead and let it earth out on the engine. just watch out for sparks cos they hurt.

Yea I'll see what I can do, otherwise I'll ask my dad for some money to take it to Dave, and if he refuses I'll block his oxygen pipe...

QUOTE(paddles7 @ Nov 27 2008, 10:25 PM) [snapback]1283213430[/snapback]

How did you test for spark exactly? Actually first, did you static time the distributor at all? You can't just slap the dizzy in - can cause big BIG problems if you start it with timing way out.

Assuming dizzy is timed (even mis-timed it will spark, but time it first) To check for spark:
- Take spark plug lead off any spark plug, leaving it connected at the dizzy cap.
- Look down the end of the lead, see the metal clip looking doohicky? Stick a metal object (ie. something electrically conductive) such as a screwdriver into that metal clip, not too hard, just enough to make a connection.
- Carefully rest the head of the screwdriver on the car body such that the metal shank of the screwdriver is within about 20 or 30mm of an EXPOSED metal part of the car. The metal part of the screwdriver must be near (But not touching!!) exposed metal so the spark has somewhere to go. Inlet manifold, head etc. are often a good earth to use. (remember, close but not touching)
- Get your hands away and watch for a spark between screwdriver and earth while your dad cranks the motor.

You sir, are a good teacher.

Thanks.

paddles7
Post #13

I'm more interested in the hot neighbour now. Jailbait, yeah!!! *High five*

Darkness
Post #14

QUOTE(BALSAK @ Nov 27 2008, 09:30 PM) [snapback]1283213461[/snapback]

Did you sell the ECU to Stephen, or the car? Coz if you sold him the car, you're the one that should be drinking beer with me trying to fukn fix it!!!!! tongue.gif
I don't want to go outside naked right now, the neighbors are having a BBQ and they've got a HOT 16 year old daughter... don't want her to jump on me... I've had a long day.
Yea I'll see what I can do, otherwise I'll ask my dad for some money to take it to Dave, and if he refuses I'll block his oxygen pipe...

Thanks.

See Alex is more than just a handsome guy biggrin.gif

So pics of said hot neighbours daughter? ph34r.gif

JET_RB25
Post #15

QUOTE(BALSAK @ Nov 27 2008, 10:00 PM) [snapback]1283213461[/snapback]

Thanks.

the ecu only

BALSAK
Post #16

Well seeing as this is my project thread, I'll post some pics.

The newest pic is about 2 weeks old, I've made some progress, but not much. Just want the car to start, then I'll start making it pretty.

NISSAN_PUBFINDER
Post #17

maybe the distributor has moved a tooth, do you know how to time it?

Stuned Mullet
Post #18

hey pubfinder im a brother of quintons, we will chech tht the sarvo whn we get home

JET_RB25
Post #19

than tell your brother to come inside and play playstation instead of fucking with the car. Then when he has saved money get it fixed properly.

Then he can do other simple stuff like the stereo alarm interior shit like that.

BALSAK
Post #20

QUOTE(Stuned Mullet @ Nov 28 2008, 02:30 PM) [snapback]1283215980[/snapback]

hey pubfinder im a brother of quintons, we will chech tht the sarvo whn we get home

Haha you're a noob, I'm not checkin anything when I get home, I'll leave it for dad, he wants to do it himself, then we'll probably send the car in Friday next week to HTT.

PS

You ate my fuckin pie in the fridge!!!!!
I'm gonna fuckin kill you!!!!!

QUOTE(JET_RB25 @ Nov 28 2008, 04:12 PM) [snapback]1283216589[/snapback]

than tell your brother to come inside and play playstation instead of fucking with the car. Then when he has saved money get it fixed properly.
Then he can do other simple stuff like the stereo alarm interior shit like that.

Can't use the playstation at all, my dad just got out of hospital and that's all he has to do till whenever he goes back to work.

That's why I'm spending more time on boost reading ancient threads, maybe I find something that might be usefull to me.

But I'm gonna let my brother check the car out if he's alowed to...

The point is:

The Corolla WILL be going to HTT, just not sure when, but when I can afford it, it WILL be there.

Post #21

good to see you are giving it a go yourself thumbsup.gif

turn the motor over by hand till cylinder no 1 has all valves closed and is at top dead centre.

put your distributer in so the rotor button is pointing at the spark lead no 1.

also buy a test light (the cheapest way to check for power) and make sure you got power to your coil.

its impossible to write everything you should be doing here.

a good old workshop manual will help. as will a "basic car mechanics" type of book.

above all...give it a go... thumbsup.gif

BALSAK
Post #22

QUOTE(4130 @ Nov 28 2008, 06:10 PM) [snapback]1283217264[/snapback]

good to see you are giving it a go yourself thumbsup.gif

turn the motor over by hand till cylinder no 1 has all valves closed and is at top dead centre.

put your distributer in so the rotor button is pointing at the spark lead no 1.

also buy a test light (the cheapest way to check for power) and make sure you got power to your coil.

its impossible to write everything you should be doing here.

a good old workshop manual will help. as will a "basic car mechanics" type of book.

above all...give it a go... thumbsup.gif

Thanks, I've got the test light. thing is.... I've got a MicroTech LT8 wired up, so it's got 4 coils, one going to each plug. I've been told to check the timing before doing anything, so I'm gonna do that first. Turning the motor over by hand might not be a good idea for me... maybe leave that for the pro's.

but any type of advise helps.

Thanks thumbsup.gif

Post #23

sorry mate.........i got a bit old-skool there biggrin.gif

im not sure why you would even need a distributer when your ECU directly tells your coils when to fire.... unsure.gif

but anyways..best off luck with it thumbsup.gif

incubus
Post #24

it actually acts as a CAS

Post #25

QUOTE(incubus @ Nov 28 2008, 06:22 PM) [snapback]1283217468[/snapback]

it actually acts as a CAS

i see said the blind man biggrin.gif

that is such a bad idea.....too many variables unsure.gif i would rather have one strait on the crank (a bit hard with an aftermarket set-up i spose)

anyways, thanks for the info incubus

incubus
Post #26

prety much the same as the vl set up

Post #27

QUOTE(incubus @ Nov 28 2008, 06:36 PM) [snapback]1283217543[/snapback]

prety much the same as the vl set up

i rest my case tongue.gif

JET_RB25
Post #28

QUOTE(4130 @ Nov 28 2008, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1283217346[/snapback]

sorry mate.........i got a bit old-skool there biggrin.gif

im not sure why you would even need a distributer when your ECU directly tells your coils when to fire.... unsure.gif

but anyways..best off luck with it thumbsup.gif

It shoud not be i dont think, The computer came with a Micritech x4 ignitor pack. Pretty sure you are meant to blank the dizzy off. Man take it to dave for the wire up and tune then do the rest on your own.

BALSAK
Post #29

Been sitting outside for a while and something came to mind.

I know this has been asked before, and I know that everyone said it's illegal.

I want to get tinted taillights, now I know I can't do it myself coz it's illegal, but where could I buy the ones that are manufactured, or is there a shop/workshop that does it professionaly/legally?

QUOTE(JET_RB25 @ Nov 28 2008, 07:50 PM) [snapback]1283217764[/snapback]

It shoud not be i dont think, The computer came with a Micritech x4 ignitor pack. Pretty sure you are meant to blank the dizzy off. Man take it to dave for the wire up and tune then do the rest on your own.

I'm waiting to get the money to get it there, in the meantime I just want to see if I can start it up so that I can at least drive it there, otherwise I'm gonna put it on a towtruck.

NISSAN_PUBFINDER
Post #30

just buy a can of nite shades n say you bought em off ebay if ya get done for it

BALSAK
Post #31

Yea thought about that a while ago, didn't think it would be legal though.

incubus
Post #32

don't do it dude.

defects are fuct

RalliSki
Post #33

does the engine crank over at all when you turn the key?

Zmit
Post #34

you think it could be a straight power fault?
because the starter isnt even going through the ECU is it?
so even if it cranks over, it still doesnt determine if the ECU has power... or if it has power LEAVING the ECU to the coils.

Q.... what was the result of test lighting the coils for power? anything?

Stuned Mullet
Post #35

the motor turns but there is NO ignition the folt is in the ignition chip/system, i dnt think that the ignition chip is maped, i belive its blank, i keep on tellin him but yea, no one realy listens to me head_wall.gif

and i dont think that the ECU is maped for a 20 valve, and he can no longer go and get eather proply maped coz he has given away the orignal ecu which has all the orignal basemaps on it, everything he seems to do makes the whole situation worse nuts.gif

maby one of u guys can drum it into his head to get it professionally done hyper.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 13
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x