1977 Chrysler Valiant - QLD: Brisbane  

Seanmc01
  • Seanmc01
  • Site Newbie
  • Member No.: 205,033
Post #1 post 1st September 2014 - 11:12 AM
Engine: Standard 245 HEMI & TorqueFlite 904

Exhaust: Hurricane extractors w/ 2 and a quarter inch system & high flow muffler

Suspension: Standard w/ custom sag for a semi-lowered look. Most components are reconditioned

Wheels: Standard steelies on tyres that are too thin

Modifications:
Exhaust system
Suspension & steering components mostly replaced
Brake system is brand new throughout the car

Stereo Audio / Visual:
Early 80's tape player and matching 6x9ish speakers - Using tape player to AUX adapter for use with phone smile.gif

Estimated Power:
Little! but even if it had some, the gearbox would blow before it could put it to the road.

So that's the car briefly in it's current state. It's actually very tidy except for some minor rust in the usual spots, and a slightly dodgey paint job from the late 80's has a little fade on the drivers side. Interior is mint, doesn't need a $ spent on the inside.

I bought the car from an older guy who had the car for over 25 years, he owned it for most of his retirement and used it for a weekly trip to the shops and back. He was also very meticulous, which showed when he handed me every receipt for every $ he had spent on the car while owning it (This wad of receipts was about 2 inches thick, and most of them dated back to before I was born). Because of how attentive he was to the car, it meant for me that it came with a few bonuses. A new radiator, mostly refurbished brakes, a boot full of spares (For just in case, like hoses, fuel lines, belts etc) and the car was also serviced fairly regularly. He was very fond of the car, and very sad to see it leave, said it had never broken down on him - and I believe him, this 37 year old car has not missed a beat for me since buying it 6 months ago.

Any way, that covers off the majority of the car's story. Now for the not so good points.
The engine, is very tired. With over 330,000kays I don't blame it. The gearbox also has badly worn clutches and doesn't always find reverse. 1-2 shift is extremely violent also if you don't baby it up to 20kmh - no burnouts for me sad.gif
Apart from that, the rust, a few windscreen chips and a flogged drivers door hinge - I'm all in all very happy with the car.

Every mechanic that has seen it since I've owned it has been very surprised with the state of the car mechanically given that it hasn't in any way been restored and is all original.

The Valiant really is a great car, not hard for me to see why my dad owned so many of them when he was my age - he was pleased to see that I brought this old CL home, and not some old Kingwood (No offence Holden fans!).

Now! the fun stuff. I have and will continue to be throwing some money at some mods for this car for the near future.
A fully rebuilt 245 with all new pistons, valves from a 265, porting, tougher valve springs, mild cam and all the other usual bits and pieces.
A new Holley 600 with vacuum secondaries on a new alloy manifold.
New ignition with a modern style coil and dizzy.
Rebuilt TorqueFlite with a TS1 shift kit and new after market clutches.
Also have a set of Chrysler sports steelies freshly powder coated which I'm hoping to install very soon.

Hoping to have a very fun & reliable old car in about 2 months time when all the mods should be finished.
Then I'll just have some minor rust left to attend to smile.gif

Time for the pictures

Thanks, Sean.

This post has been edited by Seanmc01: Sep 1 2014, 11:18 AM
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant
1977 Chrysler Valiant

--------------------
- Sean

'77 Chrysler Valiant 245 HEMI sedan - For sale, unfinished project, lots of $ spent - please check out the advert from my profile page
'68 Ford Galaxie 500 FE-390cci sedan
'99 Nissan Patrol 2.8 GU wagon - 3" exhaust, chip, 2" lift, 33" A/Ts

Comments

• Boost Network 1
  • kurtty&binda
    Post #2

Is nice!!

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
    • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x