Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
urban_angel
  • urban_angel
  • Oops!
  • Contributing Member!
  • Member No.: 6,143
Post #1 post 20th March 2007 - 10:06 AM
Well... There's a tree above my driveway, and the flowers that fall off leave awful stains on my car....

I took it down to carlovers for a wash last night and it didn't help much with the stains...

Next step I guess would be a cut and polish.....

Is it hard to DIY? What's needed? or should I just book it in and get it done elsewhere?

Cheers,

Sal xx

--------------------
IF GOD MEANT FOR WOMEN TO BEND OVER, HE WOULD HAVE PUT DIAMONDS ON THE FLOOR

MINK RX8
QIK TX5
Post #2

well if you wanted it done properly then you will have to use a buffer and a light buffing compound , have you tryed just using polish?

levinGT
Post #3

all u need is some cut and polish.. a couple of old rags..
clean the car first... then park it undercover... shake the polish... apply to the paint but start with small areas... apply it, wait for it do dry a little, then wipe off with a clean rag.. repeat until car looks fresh..

DAL32
Post #4

Depends whether you'd rather just drop $100 or so to have your car detailed, or spend all afternoon doing it yourself really.

My cars paint needs a detail but I'm just far far too lazy to do it. hsdance.gif

^sims^
Post #5

You probably don't even need "cut and polish"

just plain polish would probably do the job... it got some mega stains off my (white) car.. and also took the sticky outline of a sticker that was stuck on one of the guards.

and a bit of elbow grease and "wax on, wax off" tongue.gif

mind you.. i was fucked after polishing only 2 guards tongue.gif

urban_angel
Post #6

QUOTE(QIK TX5 @ Mar 20 2007, 10:07 AM) [snapback]1280880501[/snapback]

well if you wanted it done properly then you will have to use a buffer and a light buffing compound , have you tryed just using polish?

I haven't tried just using polish, but i honestly dont think that that will get it out!! I mean usually anything that polishes out can be rubbed out with a latex sponge... these i just can't get off at all! sad.gif

QUOTE(^sims^ @ Mar 20 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]1280880580[/snapback]

You probably don't even need "cut and polish"

just plain polish would probably do the job... it got some mega stains off my (white) car.. and also took the sticky outline of a sticker that was stuck on one of the guards.

and a bit of elbow grease and "wax on, wax off" tongue.gif

mind you.. i was fucked after polishing only 2 guards tongue.gif

lol

Yeah I night give it a go... it's really only my boot that is stained! yeah my car is that ugly creamy slutvia colour! biggrin.gif

haha i'll see how I go...

51NGL
Post #7

QUOTE(urban_angel @ Mar 20 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]1280880586[/snapback]

yeah my car is that ugly creamy slutvia colour! biggrin.gif

i know your pain.... sad.gif

*sighs*

^sims^
Post #8

yeah, i had stains fron tree sap from when i lived at mums house..

big red looking outlined things. i thought the paint was fucked..

but polish got it out smile.gif

Manic 180
Post #9

there has been some greatr step by step atricles on here by rick

https://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index....showtopic=69890
https://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index....showtopic=69884

70XIN
Post #10

no no nooooooooo don't cut and polish .. yet ..

i have had the same problem with my car for 2 or so years. what you need to buy (from supercheap or autobarn) is a "clay bar" kit. basically, it comes with everything you need (quick detailer, and the clay).

you spray quick detailer where the stain is (also good for other stuff that's caked on), and rub the area with the clay .. hey presto, any crap will be gone smile.gif

cut and polish should only be used if your clear coat is on its way out smile.gif

Manic 180
Post #11

^^^^
https://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index....showtopic=69885

a how to of clay

urban_angel
Post #12

I just read about the clay bar's etc smile.gif Might stop by at lunch time and see what I can come up with! biggrin.gif

Cheers! biggrin.gif

BozzA
Post #13

QUOTE(Manic 180 @ Mar 20 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]1280880642[/snapback]

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=17 By some other guy, that he copied and pasted and didnt bother referencing.

I'd just try polishing it first, my car sits outside under a eucalyptus tree and gets stains on it, polish brings it up like new...depends on how long they've been on the paint i guess though.

urban_angel
Post #14

Yeah i'll head to supercheap or autobarn on the way home and maybe attempt this in the garage tonight smile.gif

70XIN
Post #15

And sally, wash your car after you clay bar. The clay has some abrasives in it that aren't too good to keep on your paint smile.gif

It will work a treat, i promise

[MZH-07T]
Post #16

cut and polish is easy as pie tongue.gif i c+p my car every time i wash it (i dont wash my car often anymore)
best stuff to get is maguires or polyglaze they will both bring it up really well smile.gif its not hard u can buy a buffer for about 70bux now from supercheap but its fine doing it without it although ur arm does get a lil sore but its worth it when u see the end result.

GTRVspec95
Post #17

' date='Mar 20 2007, 11:38 AM' post='1280880845']
cut and polish is easy as pie tongue.gif i c+p my car every time i wash it (i dont wash my car often anymore)
best stuff to get is maguires or polyglaze they will both bring it up really well smile.gif its not hard u can buy a buffer for about 70bux now from supercheap but its fine doing it without it although ur arm does get a lil sore but its worth it when u see the end result.

Probably best not to do that to often as your stripping away a bit of the clear coat everytime you do it ...

You'll be cutting into raw paint if your not to careful or if the abbrasives in your cut and polish are a bit on the harsh side

badkarma85
Post #18

+1 on using the claybar to get rid of contaminants especially from the likes of tree sap and bee crap (those bright yellow stains)

EVOLVE
Post #19

Just cheat and use 2000+ sandpaper, I always do this when ever i get another car.Takes out scratchs and all the other crap the clay bar will take off but only quicker.

But then again you'll need a machine and so on.

I suggest you go on www.detailparadise.com.au (i think), i've learnt alot from that site and alot of pro's on it aswell.

Also try do it with a machine, you'll polish the roof in 15min unlike doing it by hand for 1hr.

urban_angel
Post #20

I went last night to Supercheap/Repco and Autobarn and NOBODY has any cleaning clay..... sad.gif

any ideas where I might be able to find some?

EVOLVE
Post #21

logan autobarn has it or check out waxit.com.au

Rookie ROX
Post #22

QUOTE(urban_angel @ Mar 21 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]1280884384[/snapback]

I went last night to Supercheap/Repco and Autobarn and NOBODY has any cleaning clay..... sad.gif

any ideas where I might be able to find some?

Sure? huh.gif

I know Meguiars have a whole clay bar cleaning kit, it's pricey for what it is, but my local Supercheap, Repco and Aussie Auto have always had it.

ROCK ON
R~R

urban_angel
Post #23

everyone seems to be out of stock!@ sad.gif

70XIN
Post #24

see, the shit is so good they are sold out

me = win

i go to repco and supercheap at indro, always have it in stock

MJG87
Post #25

QUOTE(BozzA @ Mar 20 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]1280880693[/snapback]

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=17 By some other guy, that he copied and pasted and didnt bother referencing.

I'd just try polishing it first, my car sits outside under a eucalyptus tree and gets stains on it, polish brings it up like new...depends on how long they've been on the paint i guess though.

bowrofl.gif bowrofl.gif bowrofl.gif

Hahaha, OWNED! Nice find, BozzA!

Anyone know if the clay bar will remove overspray from a spray can? I was touching up an area on my car, and forgot to mask a section, and now theres a layer of paint on there. Or should I use C + P...

^sims^
Post #26

or how about caked on egg?

[MZH-07T]
Post #27

QUOTE(GTRVspec95 @ Mar 20 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]1280880896[/snapback]

Probably best not to do that to often as your stripping away a bit of the clear coat everytime you do it ...

You'll be cutting into raw paint if your not to careful or if the abbrasives in your cut and polish are a bit on the harsh side

like i sed i dont wash my car very often tongue.gif maybe once every 3 months ha ha ha
my car is getting resprayed soon anyway so it doesnt really bother me if it does damage the paint

Rotarded
Post #28

this might bring a tear to some peoples eye's but good old gumption(cleaning agent)has never ever failed to remove a stain on my car (white car) but i wouldn't recomend it on newish paint. but whenever i use it people comment on how bright my paint work is! just a thought..

70XIN
Post #29

QUOTE(^sims^ @ Mar 21 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]1280884864[/snapback]

or how about caked on egg?

eggs (or moreso eggshells) often make tiny cracks the paint .. leaving little tiny scratches that have dug down into the primer sad.gif

if it is JUST a stain though, i would again suggest clay-bar, if not, you (or someone else who has had practice) can attack it with an orbital buffer and compound/polish

Oh, and KOTCJ is just a rort, i'm glad someone else was able to notice he's just a copy + paste warrior

urban_angel
Post #30

QUOTE(70XIN @ Mar 21 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]1280884679[/snapback]

see, the shit is so good they are sold out
me = win

i go to repco and supercheap at indro, always have it in stock

Repco are sold out at indro... i didn't try supercheap

QUOTE(Rotarded @ Mar 21 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]1280884923[/snapback]

this might bring a tear to some peoples eye's but good old gumption(cleaning agent)has never ever failed to remove a stain on my car (white car) but i wouldn't recomend it on newish paint. but whenever i use it people comment on how bright my paint work is! just a thought..

mm I have some gumption in the cupboard at home.. biggrin.gif might have a go! hehe

DR1F7
Post #31

Gumption is an abrasive I thought?

Hilly
Post #32

What you want is a 'clay bar' from meguires, its is exactly, a bar of fine clay. You hose down the car, rub it over with the clay bar, and then hose it off and polish, will remove sap, tar, bugs, salt spray, oxidation, anything cut and polish wont.

96CamTRD
Post #33

The clay bar from meguiars works well. Yeah I know the stuff is expensive but hey, it works. With cut and polish, don't use a heavy cut on new paint.

^sims^
Post #34

QUOTE(70XIN @ Mar 21 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]1280884970[/snapback]

eggs (or moreso eggshells) often make tiny cracks the paint .. leaving little tiny scratches that have dug down into the primer sad.gif

if it is JUST a stain though, i would again suggest clay-bar, if not, you (or someone else who has had practice) can attack it with an orbital buffer and compound/polish

Yeah.. its left a semicircle of chips on my door but I didnt realised the car had been egged until about 1PM and it was summer at the time (last summer).. There is egg stuck on my side skirt.. and everytime I wash my car I try to get it off but it just doesnt budge.

QUOTE(70XIN @ Mar 21 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]1280884970[/snapback]

Oh, and KOTCJ is just a rort, i'm glad someone else was able to notice he's just a copy + paste warrior

laugh.gif where did that come from?

MJG87
Post #35

QUOTE(^sims^ @ Mar 22 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]1280888091[/snapback]

laugh.gif where did that come from?

Look further into it ^sims^, you'll be very surprised...

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x