Toyota Engines - what about 'em?  

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
mz20_drifter
Post #41

Stop that everyone knows 7M's are shit though.

wat r u running?
i got a 7mgte in my mz20. they go hard. 1 of my mates 7m has 700+hp @the wheels. and also have a look @ some ma70 supras on cardomain i think theirs 1 wid ova 800hp.

also lets not forget the good ol 3tgte

FHA57
Post #42

any engine can b worked massivly like that but how much dollars does it take to make it that fast and uve gotta think wat does stock internals handle i know the 1jz and 2jz engines handle a reliable 600hp through stock internals

FHA57
Post #43

i question wat sort of car crimson owns and how old he is lol cos he acts like a little boy

The Pupat
Post #44

QUOTE(mz20_drifter @ Oct 5 2005, 10:04 PM)
wat r u running?
i got a 7mgte in my mz20. they go hard. 1 of my mates 7m has 700+hp @the wheels. and also have a look @ some ma70 supras on cardomain i think theirs 1 wid ova 800hp.

also lets not forget the good ol 3tgte
[right][snapback]5418935[/snapback][/right]

You need to learn to read everything mate. Ohh and an ability to judge when people are being sarcastic would help also.

You don't have to sell them to me. I actually reckon they are an awesome thing.

crimson
Post #45

QUOTE(psi999 @ Oct 5 2005, 10:03 PM)
Dude no one is talking about the car, or cost of running a 9 sec pass.... Let me remind you what you said.
Running 9 sec at 140mph with an $2000 engine would tell me that they would have to be a bloody good thing, sure stock they do have a few small issues but few easy steps and you have the potential to run reliable 9's at massive MPH for very small $'s..... that in my book makes it a very good engine, or are you still going to argue the point?.

But this will be my last post on this subject i've got better things to do and over the years on BC i've learnt never to argue with a fool, they tend to beat you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[right][snapback]5418931[/snapback][/right]

i wasnt disagreeing with you, just pointing out possible flaws in the arguments for the 7m. like i said, people will prove me wrong, i have no personal experience with the 7M-GTE, just numerous horror stories.

FHA57
Post #46

im not tryn to say 7mgtes are the worst motor in the worlsd ive seen sum impressive examples but u cannot compare them to a 1jzgte stock at all

Sciclone
Post #47

just a side note.... the main achilles heel of the 3S-GTE is the conrods, they are prone to breaking under higher than normal boost applications,

also #UZ v8's bottom ends are good for around 1000hp.

FHA57
Post #48

yer the 1uzfe are crazy good motors

crimson
Post #49

QUOTE(lo_rolla @ Oct 5 2005, 08:33 PM)
3SGE / GTE have extremely sturdy rods. The rods in a 3SGE are harder to bend then RB26DETT rods (I've tried)
[right][snapback]5418632[/snapback][/right]

QUOTE(Sciclone @ Oct 5 2005, 10:17 PM)
just a side note.... the main achilles heel of the 3S-GTE is the conrods, they are prone to breaking under higher than normal boost applications,
[right][snapback]5418970[/snapback][/right]

hmmm.....

dry.gif

hoges
Post #50

yeah nuthin wrong with 7Ms, my bro's MA70 supra pulled so hard! such a fun car to drive! well until it mysteriously blew up after having some work done at a well known workshop... so now it has either a blown ring or cracked piston, and he was tossing up whether to rebuild it or swap a 1J in there. i personally think he should rebuild, as there was a lot of work done on the engine, the pistons are hpc coated stockies, and the rods are stock, but it has a hks MHG, arp studs and bolts, balanced crank, 650cc injectors, fmic, rebuilt turbo, wolf and a bunch of other goodies. if he were to swap for a 1J he would have to start again with a basically stock motor, which would be a backwards step.
I rekon if he puts some JE or CP forgies in he should be able to get away with it for around $4k all said and done and have a pretty tough motor! It put down 213kw after the dodgy work was done, so with some more boost and built internals he should be looking at the high side of 250rwkw with no problems.
And remember kids, whats the thing that trucks need the most, thats right, torque! so dont go chucking those "truck motors" out just yet tongue.gif

hoges
Post #51

lol man there was like 10 posts in the time i wrote that!
craig, no way a 1G could compete with a 7M, i know which one id rather, talking mildly modded here, not bone stock too tongue.gif. that being said, id rather my 1J any day of the week, one of the best engines to come out of japan IMO

crimson
Post #52

QUOTE(hoges @ Oct 5 2005, 10:35 PM)
  that being said, id rather my 1J any day of the week, one of the best engines to come out of japan IMO
[right][snapback]5419009[/snapback][/right]

i agree, id much rather have it in a JZX100 chaser though....

The Pupat
Post #53

QUOTE(hoges @ Oct 5 2005, 10:29 PM)
yeah nuthin wrong with 7Ms, my bro's MA70 supra pulled so hard! such a fun car to drive!  well until it mysteriously blew up after having some work done at a well known workshop...  so now it has either a blown ring or cracked piston, and he was tossing up whether to rebuild it or swap a 1J in there.  i personally think he should rebuild, as there was a lot of work done on the engine, the pistons are hpc coated stockies, and the rods are stock, but it has a hks MHG, arp studs and bolts, balanced crank, 650cc injectors, fmic, rebuilt turbo, wolf and a bunch of other goodies.  if he were to swap for a 1J he would have to start again with a basically stock motor, which would be a backwards step. 
I rekon if he puts some JE or CP forgies in he should be able to get away with it for around $4k all said and done and have a pretty tough motor!  It put down 213kw after the dodgy work was done, so with some more boost and built internals he should be looking at the high side of 250rwkw with no problems. 
And remember kids, whats the thing that trucks need the most, thats right, torque! so dont go chucking those "truck motors" out just yet tongue.gif
[right][snapback]5419000[/snapback][/right]

That an easy solution. The TRP skyline was putting out 400rwkw's on optimax through a big stall C4 auto all with a truck motor with less internal mods than your brother will have.

GTRVspec95
Post #54

Holy fark that was a long read though informative smile.gif

Toyota does make insanely strong engines.

I'd put the 2JZ-GTE durability over an RB26dett anyday

*Looks at RB26dett "Don't worry I still love ya" *

smile.gif

CSX 16
Post #55

QUOTE(crimson @ Oct 5 2005, 07:26 PM)

7M-GTE

2954cc DOHC turbo/twin turbo(?) I6 - yes, similar in basic spec to the 2JZ, and yes they have potential... but i hope you like watching black smoke pour out from under your bonnet. these things love to eat head gaskets, among other things... all in all, they are about as reliable as john howard (having said that, lets plz not make this poltical...)

[right][snapback]5418345[/snapback][/right]

7M-GTE are single turbo, once you retorque the head bolts they are a mega reliable and very strong motor. As reliable as John Howard? Well you must like John Howard a lot to say that wink.gif.

QUOTE(crimson @ Oct 5 2005, 08:06 PM)
i cant find any official specs for rod millen's cars, but it is common knowledge that he does tune 3s-gte's to over 700kw (they are heavily modded though, ~2100cc etc) but dont forget that they are more reliable, not all out tune like a drag car because:

- it takes at least 10 minutes to get up pikes peak (rod millen holds the record in, guess what, yes his 3S-GTE powered celica...10:04.06 achieved in 1994!!!)

- the altitude difference is crazy, 14,000 feet above sea level... the air is much thinner at that height... by the top the cars might be running on only half the power they had at the bottom, especially when running insane levels of boost like RM.

-rally car's are generally built to be quite reliable due to the adverse conditions they constantly face
another tribute to the greatness of the 3s-gte is that most of the supras in the JGTC were running them for many years, instead of the great 2JZ!!!

here is a link relating to the 3s-GTE, but its not that great.

http://kaferjca0.tripod.com/3sgteinfo.htm

dunno.gif
[right][snapback]5418531[/snapback][/right]

You're on the right track there. The car that 3sgte is in was a hillclimb car which is very very different to a rally car. It wasn't a celica, it was a toyota Tacouma(sp) and if you watch the videos of the car you'll see that the car is about as far from standard as you can get. It has a massive aerodynamics package with huge wings to get the downforce he needs to send it sideways at close to 200km/h right next to the edge of sheer cliffs.

QUOTE(ej20t-vw @ Oct 5 2005, 08:59 PM)
Lol, just get an ae71 corolla, the last of the rear drive ones. Sprinters are just way too expensive to use as bush bashers now.
[right][snapback]5418741[/snapback][/right]

Personally I wouldn't use an ae71 corolla as a bush basher, replacement front end parts are a fucking mission to get for these cars now because they don't make any aftermarket front end parts so there are only 2nd hand ones to buy (and they are highly in demand).

FHA57
Post #56

yer jzx100's are sexual i guess im just biassed to the 1jz cos i have one sorry guys.

FHA57
Post #57

1jzgte and 2jzgte were supposed to b designed to kill the rb26dett but rb26 1jz and 2jz imo are the best motors in the world outta the 6cyl range

16OTU
Post #58

Well my 1ggte makes 410rwhp out of a stock bottom end with forgies thrown in. I am currently getting the head done and can't wait to see what hp it will make then.
Ron

FHA57
Post #59

yer but ur gemini is crazy much respect also.

Matyi
Post #60

man someone needs to clean up this thread....

4E-FTE
Specs: 1331cc EFI DOHC 16-valve 4cyl turbo
Power: 100kW @6400rpm
Torque: 157Nm @4800rpm
Gearboxes: FWD 5-speed, auto 4 speed
Cars: Toyota Starlet Turbo (EP82, EP91)
Will bolt into Paseo and Sera

This is a great little engine, makes 100kw bone stock from a 1.3litre! A lot of guys put a TD04 (WRX turbo) kit on it to make decent power. Very good for a light car.

Here is a link to other engine specs.

Jezboosted
Post #61

Man this started as a specs post and now you guys are trying to compare motors ? FFS everyone know the 1jz/2jz replaced the 7MGTE. Yes the 1jz a better designed engine... but in no way is the 7mgte a slouch.

PSI999 - I WANT THAT RED 7MGTE !!! NOW

speed racer
Post #62

I just blew up my mr2...so if anyone knows of a 3s for sale.....send them my way please smile.gif

smt_007
Post #63

QUOTE(speed racer @ Oct 6 2005, 10:03 AM)
I just blew up my mr2...so if anyone knows of a 3s for sale.....send them my way please smile.gif
[right][snapback]5419566[/snapback][/right]

try Toymods tongue.gif

speed racer
Post #64

already have

Jezboosted
Post #65

LMFAO at speed racers Avatar

i'll put it in your ass too !!

`nigno
Post #66

1UZ-FE
Specs: 3968cc EFI quad cam 32-valve V8
Power: 194kW @5400rpm
Torque: 353Nm @4600rpm
Gearboxes: RWD 4sp auto only
Vehicles: Lexus LS400 and SC400 coupe (Soarer UZ30 series)

speed racer
Post #67

QUOTE(Jezboosted @ Oct 6 2005, 10:50 AM)
LMFAO at speed racers Avatar

i'll put it in your ass too !!
[right][snapback]5419660[/snapback][/right]

like fucking hell you will

Mookie
Post #68

I was gunna say he missed the 1ggze the supercharged version of the 1ggte.
Considering my celica with a stock 1ggte will beat a slightly modded (upped boost and wolf) 7mgte and it has an extra litre on me i'd say thats pretty good.
i wouldn't say a 1ggte would go all that great in the car is came factory from but chuck em in a lighter car (celica) and they are to die for.

This site shows a few different specs and also shows how power improved thru the generations

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/997...ineEngines.html

MaDDoG
Post #69

QUOTE(VY18s @ Oct 5 2005, 07:32 PM)
The amazing thing is I only have limited knowledge about the 16s in the Supras and the Toyota V8s. lol
[right][snapback]5418369[/snapback][/right]

the first two are the supra/soarer motors wink.gif

Jezboosted
Post #70

Mookie: Power to weight mate - wins everytime

XPN53
Post #71

2JZ-GTE

2997cc DOHC twin turbo I6. solid cast iron construction = F'ING STRONG. basically unbreakable, and easy to get mountains of power from, as confirmed by www.to4r.com. later variations of this engine had the toyota vvt-i variable valve timing system.

2JZ is GOD

Killswitch
Post #72

Can someone shed some light on the 3S-GE motors for me? I've had a bit of ye-olde google and I've found out that there were 3 series of them? (correct me if I'm wrong...) and that they started out around 120kw(?) in the first series and in the last series found themselves close to 140kw(?)

I also dug up a different variation that appeared in the Altezza RS200's? A 3S-GE 'BEAMS' that comes backed with a 6 speed box and cranking 154kw?

How well do they respond to modifications, whats needed to get 200rwhp?

Cheers!

The Pupat
Post #73

Naturally Aspirated?

A lot.

Don't expect big gain over the 154kw to come cheap.

lo_rolla
Post #74

About the 3S GE cracking under boost pressure.

First off, I was trying to bend it while it was in a vice. It was harder to bend then RB26. It wasn't exactly high boost.

154KW is pretty much 230HP...

Just go basics with it. If that doesn't work.... ask some one else.

mz20_drifter
Post #75

Vehicles: Lexus LS400 and SC400 coupe (Soarer UZ30 series)

wat about da toyota crown's the 1989 model not sure on da name

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x