Defponys Chevrolet  

Page 2 of 2
Jump to page
Treay81
Post #36

This car is called a Perentti, Which is a kit car utilising an already existing chasis making it easier to register, this is one of many as you can find if you simply google for kit cars, it has been modified to look like the 71 vette from the movie " Corvette Summer" and not it was not an exact replica moulded from the original 71 vette, for example since when did a 71 vette have such a long wheel base and the quarter windows? no vette ever had quarter windows ! i guess you can call this an informed guess i may have had something to do with vettes here or there.... ( LOL ) I like the idea of a replica but who ever told you these details not only ripped you off with that laughable asking price he had but he also gave you the very wrong idea!. There has definatley been some work put into it so it deserves alot of credit but do your research on this vehicle and you'll find many an example. cheers dude.

P.S - not only replica's are fibreglass, all corvettes have been fibreglass since the 54 original, During testing of the original 54 vette the test pilot had a crash and wrote the vehicle off, Due to the impact absorbing nature of fibreglass the driver was left unharmed and chevrolet done a restructure and decided to go with fibreglass instead of steel bodies !! cheers

Tommo24
Post #37

Fuck me dead!

thats awesome!!

defpony
Post #38

Well it is a Perentti, it was made by the company, but very different from the normal Perentti. As far as i know its a one off, so i doubt you'll be finding others the same on google as you say. Be my guest and prove me wrong though.

According to the previous owner, the original corvette that starred in the movie was in Sydney in the 80's. Look at my car and then look at the pictures of the original corvette. The bonnet is pretty much the same, if they didnt get the moulds straight off it they did a pretty good job replicating it.

As far as value goes no one actually knows what I paid for it. But there is a Perentti for sale on carsales.com.au asking for more than what i will spend to get this car on the road. Now, does a normal Perentti/Corvette run 11's? No. Will Mine? Yes.

I think on resale i will easily get what I've spent.

Treay81
Post #39

You can purchase the flip front corvete summer hood kit from Hot Rods Super Store for only $525USD plus frieght.
Your car was not moulded off the original in Australia in the 80's, The original car has never left yankie soil. I have personally seen the original and i have seen a replica at the good guys show in 2002.

According to members of my club your car sold for $17,000 in August to an ebay Purchaser using the name fabio66bikes. Don't you find those sort of Dollars a high price to pay for a rebodied HQ 1 tonner ? which is the chassis your car uses not only that you still have to work on it to get it on the road when for those sort of dollars you could have just imported a real vette !

Your hood does not sit quiet as high as the original however it is a good replica but i'm sure the kits they sell in the states are pretty good to.
By the way there was more then a bonnet in the real car if you look at your nose cone its not quiet correct with the lower air dam not having a gap and your vehicle has a plastic grill in front
but anywhoo, Nice ride, Nice replica like i said previously it deserves credit as its had quiet some work done! Perhaps you will have it out at one of the QLD corvette club meets I think you'll find they accept perentti's and if you wanted any more info on joining you can call Brad Stumer on 0414 730 833 cheers dude happy motoring

Treay81
Post #40

By the way, if you ever need another hood you can contact Hot Rods Super Store at " [email protected] " or if you know the international numbers etc call them on 770-483-6321

P.S i was considering selling my rims if your interested would probably suit your ride nicely!

defpony
Post #41

Hey thx for the fiberglass info, I am thinking about supercharging it and cutting those hood intakes off at the same time. So would need a fiberglasser to do that, maybe one in Australia though.

Interesting about that hood for sale at the hot rod super store. Though looking at the pictures it does look like just a hood and not a whole front end, also looks a bit different.

Im not sure which ebay listing you're referring to but it seems like you've got the wrong car/wrong guy. I didn't pay $17000 for it. I first saw the car for sale at ebay link

And it is much more than just a HQ 1 tonner, not just talking about the body either. Adding up the costs of what parts are in the car it does equal out what I paid.

And unless your rims are 15" wide I dont think they'll fit the Mickey Thompson tyres on them ohmy.gif

Treay81
Post #42

First up i'll have to get back to you bout the ebay sale of your ride, a friend of mine has the link which shows it sold as per my previous statement, If you ring hot rods super store you'll find out they will supply the entire front clip if required or i also beleive you can get a similar set up from Ecklers and i beleive they to have a web site. As far as fibreglass work goes i beleive there are very veiw companies that produce a product like the original so if your looking for high quality i have been told to go no further then " Riverina Fibreglass " but i don't have a number for them, apparently they produced the perentti at some stage or another so they would be of service to you.
as far as vehicle value goes your car would be no different to a vette and that means its basically whatever figure you pull out of thin air is what you advertise it for, i seen the outlaw for sale at 95,000 clams and you can get a nice LHD 69 - 73 for about 20 to 35 thou, i have only ever seen a couple of perentti's for saleone was 7 grand unfinished project and i have seen one for $45,000 and that was back in the mid 90's but it was a full blown show car.

My rims are 18X10 and 18X8 and you wont be needing mickey thompson rubber as these come with 3 grand worth of yokohama V102 tyres which are brand new, the rims have a huge offset to so they should fill your guards i had to flare mine 2.5 inch either side. You can see my rims on my members car page in the listings.
cheers

killuminati
Post #43

its not a virgin

Justypower
Post #44

That is HOT Love it man. thumbsup.gif

squeek
Post #45

very nice..hows all the work going on it??

defpony
Post #46

I got my seats and the shifter in. Everything has arrived except the engine, which is due to arrive in Aus on December 12. Assuming it will take a while to get from the wharf to my place, expecting to have it on the road early January. Hopefully smile.gif

Ill make a new thread when its done and been put through its paces.

defpony
Post #47

QUOTE(Treay81 @ Oct 9 2005, 08:13 PM)
This car is called a Perentti, Which is a kit car utilising an already existing chasis making it easier to register, this is one of many as you can find if you simply google for kit cars, it has been modified to look like the 71 vette from the movie " Corvette Summer" and not it was not an exact replica moulded from the original 71 vette.

Your car was not moulded off the original in Australia in the 80's, The original car has never left yankie soil. I have personally seen the original and i have seen a replica at the good guys show in 2002
[right][snapback]5430157[/snapback][/right]

Hey Treay81, thought I'd set the record straight. Interesting what a bit of research can uncover.

I received this email from a guy in the US, after i contacted him, who is currently making fiberglass molds from the original mold.

I see you bought [previous owners] Perentti. Congratulations on your new purchase! I have had much correspondence with [previous owner], and he had a large impact on my ability to re-create an accurate replica. Before I get to that, I will tell you a brief history of the movie cars.

There were two cars made for the movie. I refer to them as a "primary" car and a "backup" car. After the movie was released, both cars went on a cross-country promotional tour. Once that was complete, both cars were purchased by private parties. The backup car remained in the United States, and is currently owned by Mid America Corvette in Effingham Illinois. The primary car was bought by a gentleman from Australia. It's history is best documented by Issue #7 of the Australian magazine Street & Strip. I highly suggest locating an issue. You may see them for sale on eBay from time to time, but they generally sell for a lot because it is an excellent documentation of the history of the primary movie car after it went to Australia, and people in the States have no other source for information. I bought the very first one offered on eBay, and I paid over $100.00US for it. After several bad restorations, the car was finally given a proper restoration by two men: Paul Kelly and Paul Bennett. Unfortunately though, the "restoration" changed many aspects of what made it an authentic movie car, and in most people's opinion, destroyed the value of what it actually was.

[previous owner] was a neighbor of one of the Paul's back in 1986/1987 when this restoration was being performed. He wanted to create a Pro Street Corvette Summer "replica", and was having a difficult time making the hood scoops. One day he asked Paul for his help, and Paul told him to look in the shed, and if there was anything he could use he could have it. [previous owner] found the splash mold of the hood scoop section, and used it to create a part for the car you now own. He did modify the scoop section and reduced the height, but your scoops are made from the mold that came from the primary movie car during its restoration.

I located [previous owner] about a year and a half ago, and I was very surprised to learn that he still had the mold in his possession. We negotiated a price, and [previous owner] shipped the mold to me from Australia to the States. From that mold I created a part, then made the slight modifications to bring it back to the original shape, then created a full-size pattern of the front clip, then created a large multi-section mold which allows me to made one-piece front clip body parts. I am grateful for [previous owner]'s help, because the hood scoops would have been extremely difficult to accurately replicate without having the mold.

So far I have sold 2 sets of the body kit, and those cars are being built right now. I am also building two cars. One of them will be with the red paint job, including right-hand-drive, and will look exactly like the primary car in the movie. The other car will remain left-hand-drive, and will have the gold-colored paint job. It will be the only gold-colored car in existence. I will also offer it for sale a few months after I am done with it because I am curious to know what the value will be. However, my red car is my priority, so the gold car will not be finished for at least another year. I would like to sell only a couple more sets...definitely no more than 6. Each set comes with a custom-made console data plate (near the shifter) which has each body number on it. I only made 10 of those data plates, so I only plan on selling 10 sets at the most.

Hope all this information helps.

So in summary, i was right. The only other car that looks like this in Australia is the original. Which is probably sitting in a garage in Sydney and never driven. And then of course there is the backup car in the US. And in the near future a few more from this guy who is making them in the US.

Im interested to know what car you saw when you say you have personally seen the original.

And I am currently putting my new engine in so it should be running by early January. Will post some new pics then.

Treay81
Post #48

I STAND CORRECTED.

cheers

ASTINAFEVA
Post #49

hey i saw this on ebay it isnt a real chevrolet as the man said it is a copy and apparently didnt come with seats either nothing this good and real would be on ebay

defpony
Post #50

Well, its been a long wait and car still not running. Theres a lot to learn about importing an engine from overseas for the first time. A lot of parts I've had to buy here that i wasn't planning on. Ordering one last part from Sydney this week and i should have everything to get it running smile.gif

Here is some more pics of putting the engine in anyway.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

smcleo02
Post #51

Can i say that is the most eye catching Vette i've EVER seen?!? my dream car is deffinately a 70's Vette and i can say that i wouldn't mind owning that! i'm only 20 years old but i WILL own a Vette someday!

defpony
Post #52

thx, and hey im only 18 tongue.gif

I too was planning on buying a vette in a few more years. But then i saw this for sale and just couldnt let it pass.

Bit of an update: have everything pretty much done except for electrical stuff. There is wires everywhere. So gonna get a auto electrician out this week and it shud be running!

And just found out that its got an $800 Barry Grant fuel pump installed that pumps 400 gallons per hour at 16-25psi! Says strictly perhibited for daily driven car sad.gif No wonder there is 1/2" fuel pipe ohmy.gif Gonna have to regulate that beast.

sveto
Post #53

how much did it cost?

AGI78
Post #54

SH*T KIT. WAY OVERBOARD! F*CKN UGLY. Stocko's sh*t all over that ugly piece of crap. Never mess with a classic...

defpony
Post #55

QUOTE(AGI78 @ Apr 12 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]6104363[/snapback]

SH*T KIT. WAY OVERBOARD! F*CKN UGLY. Stocko's sh*t all over that ugly piece of crap. Never mess with a classic...

heh...

Ill wait for you to buy your fully sic 1980 318i bmw before I give you a schooling on the track.

An original stringray may have its looks, but thats all its got over mine.

thebitch
Post #56

do u live in queensland? very different holdens 4 life

Treay81
Post #57

Have you had this on the dyno yet ?

i was looking at your heads in your engine shots .. are they cast ? cos they look like a set of heads of a TPI chevy from a camaro or something but i thought the tpi heads were alloy?

stevesteve
Post #58

HOLY SH@#

Anchor
Post #59

Mmm saw this thing on ebay a while back. Guess you're the dork who bought it aye. Nice buy, its different!!

TRELOS
Post #60

I have to say just WOW that is some crazy shit. I have always loved corvettes and im looking for one at the moment but i LOVE IT. It is different but who cares its still a NICE car.

chopcycles
Post #61

Chopcycles='defpony' date='Oct 3 2005, 08:15 AM' post='5412776'] Where did you get that Corvette I like it!
Cylinders : 8

Aspiration : Naturally Aspirated

Drivetrain : RWD

Exhaust : 4 Inch

Pod Air Filter : NO

Wheels : STOCK

Wheel Size : 15 Inch

Estimated Power : 350ish KW
Just thought id post what im working on in the garage. But do note, these pictures were taken by the previous owner of the car when it still had an engine in it. I bought it a couple of weeks ago with no engine, transmission or seats. And it is a custom, whole body is fiberglass and there is only 1 other in the world. Sitting in a museum in the US.
Tubbed Mickey Thompson wheels, 18.5" wide. Exhaust is just 4" side pipes straight off the headers. Holley-Annihilator ignition and timing Computer. Fuel cell. Ford 9" diff.
Im planning on importing a 450hp sbc 383 from the states, and a worked th350 transmission with 2500rpm stall converter and shift kit. Hopefully will be making these purchases this week as im set to sell my camaro tomorow.
Hopefully should be on the road within a couple of months, and ready for Summernats! Will post again when everything is done.
Oh, and dont comment on the Sony Xplods, ive ripped them out already.
For more pics and pics of the proposed engine, see http://www.defpony.com/corvette/
[/quote]

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 2
Jump to page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x