Enclosed Pod Filters ? - ENCLOSED POD FILTERS ???  

Sir_lancerlot
  • Sir_lancerlot
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 21,798
Post #1 post 27th July 2005 - 07:35 PM
wink.gif Hey ppls, wink.gif

I got a question. I have an evo 3 bonnet on my 93' lancer and if ur familiar with em. They have an air vent situated just above the air box.

Now i heard that it's 'legal' to have a pod filter that's "enclosed" within a box. Does this mean that my bonnet can be considered as the 'lid' (when shut) for the enclosure or what?

I'm not too sure about it tho. So i'm asking u guys for similar scenarios or if it's 'legal' to do so.....

Thnx all thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
YGH05T
Post #2

i highly doubt it, but you never know. your vented bonnet would not come close in the books as "sealed" (because of the opening)
but i think heatshields are legal (in nsw anyway). but do some reaserch.

deva
Post #3

yes.

70YIN_180
Post #4

are u sure deva? I dont believe the bonnet counts as a sealed box. i believe it needs to be an enclosed box within the engine bay.. but yea please correct me if i am wrong..

deva
Post #5

QUOTE(70YIN_180 @ Jul 27 2005, 09:03 PM)
are u sure deva? I dont believe the bonnet counts as a sealed box. i believe it needs to be an enclosed box within the engine bay.. but yea please correct me if i am wrong..
[right][snapback]5257227[/snapback][/right]

if it is completly sealed... how is any air supposed to get in?

DR1F7
Post #6

POD filters ONLY need to be secured, I have asked many a DOT officer and traffic branch officer and get same reply everytime, just make sure its FIXED

mmmm gtst
Post #7

no the bonnet wont be good enough, isnt that the same as saying hey i have a bonnet do i need to enclose the pod... maybe i didnt read it carefully but meh... to enclose a pod isnt too expensive.....

Hellbender
Post #8

i was just defected for a pod filter at coffs harbour last weekend ,, no the bonnett wont make any diff , it wont matter if its fixed or not either . I f you dont have the engineers report for it , you will get defected . Simple as that . I have a queensland registered vehicle , with a qld modification plate afixed / with all the relevent codes , including the pod filter . The cops still wrote out the ticket , and now i still have to go to court to fight it . Which i will be doing!! So in answer to your question , i dont think it will make any diferance what you do , (even when you have a mod platye fitted) they will book you for it !

deva
Post #9

it has to be closed off from the rest of the engine bay, and the bonnet can form part of that enclosure,

TUN35
Post #10

QUOTE(DR1F7 @ Jul 27 2005, 09:29 PM)
POD filters ONLY need to be secured, I have asked many a DOT officer and traffic branch officer and get same reply everytime, just make sure its FIXED
[right][snapback]5257266[/snapback][/right]

This is all that needs to be done to my knowledge also smile.gif

TwinCam16
Post #11

if your in qld, ignore all the pod filters are illegal shit.

mrc25381
Post #12

well whats the point of havin a pod filter if it has to be enclosed? thats the whole purpose of them..

TwinCam16
Post #13

*sigh*

is it?

_Insane089_
Post #14

QUOTE(Hellbender @ Jul 27 2005, 09:37 PM)
i was just defected for a pod filter at coffs harbour last weekend ,, no the bonnett wont make any diff , it wont matter if its fixed or not either . I f you dont have the engineers report for it , you will get defected . Simple as that . I have a queensland registered vehicle , with a qld modification plate afixed / with all the relevent codes , including the pod filter . The cops still wrote out the ticket , and now i still have to go to court to fight it . Which i will be doing!! So in answer to your question , i dont think it will make any diferance what you do , (even when you have a mod platye fitted) they will book you for it !

ahh lost in logan is back biggrin.gif why the new name brett? tongue.gif

also, with fighting a ticket, do you have to pay to fight it?

Nvious
Post #15

EVO 3 bonnet is illegal on ur car unless it came stock with it.
Its aluminium......

But yeah.. nop pod filter has to be Enclosed.. boxed in.

Hellbender
Post #16

QUOTE(_Insane089_ @ Jul 27 2005, 10:51 PM)
ahh lost in logan is back biggrin.gif why the new name brett? tongue.gif

also, with fighting a ticket, do you have to pay to fight it?
[right][snapback]5257510[/snapback][/right]

wrong person sorry mate!! and yes i do , but have to make them pay court costs if i win , which i know i will And ccpl , i dont know where you got your info from , but pods are not illegal in nsw (full stop as you put it) Sure you need an actual report on the induction noise produced from the pod , which if it pases it is not illegal!!!!!! This was straight from the stupid cops moutyh that booked me for it , and in qld , if its not moded or enginered you can be done for it as well . I know someone will say im wrong , but look up qld mod line ,, why else would there be a mod code for pod filters??

Eclipse_Sound
Post #17

QUOTE(DR1F7 @ Jul 27 2005, 09:29 PM)
[right][snapback]5257266[/snapback][/right]

does fixed mean as in fixed to a hose? or do u mean with a bracket? cos mine is the one in the picture and i considered that fixed but maybe im wrong?

Zoombie
Post #18

so what about self enclosed pod filters like the ones that Simota make?

Eisbaer
Post #19

QUOTE(Eclipse_Sound @ Jul 28 2005, 01:33 AM)
does fixed mean as in fixed to a hose? or do u mean with a bracket? cos mine is the one in the picture and i considered that fixed but maybe im wrong?

[right][snapback]5257770[/snapback][/right]

needs a bracket

VLTurbro
Post #20

This is a pic of my Pod setup actually this is my old Pod I now have a smaller K & N Pod. biggrin.gif

DAT18T
Post #21

I spoke to a engineer and in NSW the bonnet can be used as a lid as long as it seals. Most people run a rubber strip accros the top of the box as the seal.

deva
Post #22

QUOTE(DAT18T @ Jul 28 2005, 02:44 PM)
I spoke to a engineer and in NSW the bonnet can be used as a lid as long as it seals. Most people run a rubber strip accros the top of the box as the seal.
[right][snapback]5258494[/snapback][/right]

like i said smile.gif

Sir_lancerlot
Post #23

QUOTE(DAT18T @ Jul 28 2005, 02:44 PM)
[right][snapback]5258494[/snapback][/right]

Ahhh that's what i thort! i was hoping i could get away with a rubber seal which "encloses" the pod from the heat source comin from the engine.

Cheerz

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x