Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
AlsCruising
  • AlsCruising
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 214,984
Post #1 post 2nd February 2012 - 03:53 AM
Hey Guys,

I have long since wanted to put a 1UZFE V8 into a Supra. I don't want dyno queen 1000hp. I want a driveable car. Not a laggy POS. I currently have a 95 RZ Supra that I'm selling http://www.boostclassifieds.com.au/advert/...z-for-Sale.html I love it to bits though it needs to go. Its time to start planing for when i can once again own another Supra though this time something abit different.

I'm Looking at getting the 5spd N/A
1UZFE front cut
Possibly a blower

I can only find old out of date links

Any info would be great

Cheers
smiley
Post #2

Buy a V8 soarer and swap all the bits into your supra...

rot8me
Post #3

i have wanted to do this for AGES !! with my n/a supra, im keen to swap my na for ur tt

boosted31
Post #4

try toymods.

the_random_hero
Post #5

QUOTE (AlsCruising @ Feb 2 2012, 09:53 PM) *
Hey Guys,

I have long since wanted to put a 1UZFE V8 into a Supra. I don't want dyno queen 1000hp. I want a driveable car. Not a laggy POS. I currently have a 95 RZ Supra that I'm selling http://www.boostclassifieds.com.au/advert/...z-for-Sale.html I love it to bits though it needs to go. Its time to start planing for when i can once again own another Supra though this time something abit different.

I'm Looking at getting the 5spd N/A
1UZFE front cut
Possibly a blower

I can only find old out of date links

Any info would be great

Cheers

www.toymods.com. Keep in mind that a completely factory 1UZ + 5 speed is rather dull in a big car like a Supra.

clutch-monkey
Post #6

^ i had a look at one and fuck me the factory exhaust looks restrictive as hell. surely wouldn't be too hard to give it some pep?

adamsvn
Post #7

can help you out with a 1uz pm me

AlsCruising
Post #8

QUOTE (smiley @ Feb 3 2012, 09:02 AM) *
Buy a V8 soarer and swap all the bits into your supra...

I will look into that, though i was quoted $1500 for a front cut. Saves me trying to sell the Soarer body after i take out the engine.

QUOTE (rot8me @ Feb 3 2012, 09:41 AM) *
i have wanted to do this for AGES !! with my n/a supra, im keen to swap my na for ur tt

Sorry mate, I would need at least $7000 cash my way for a swap. I'm looking at doing the V8 say 6mths from now at the earliest. Got bills to pay and then save, save, save so i can do it in one big hit not have it drag out for years

QUOTE (boosted31 @ Feb 3 2012, 12:55 PM) *
try toymods.

Cheers will hunt through there. Also found lexetreame where i found info i read yrs ago

QUOTE (the_random_hero @ Feb 3 2012, 06:24 PM) *
www.toymods.com. Keep in mind that a completely factory 1UZ + 5 speed is rather dull in a big car like a Supra.

Yeah and no. It wont be a factory 1UZFE, Dad and I will look at cams, port/polish etc while the engine is out and give a good going over. Looking at a Whipple/Eaton blower for it. It will get up and boogie. It will have plenty of torque which is want im after. Not for circle work, just to get off the mark quick and a few power slides here and there on a track ofcourse

QUOTE (adamsvn @ Feb 3 2012, 07:06 PM) *
can help you out with a 1uz pm me

Will pm you cheers

AlsCruising
Post #9

Really keen on contacts of people that have played with Soarer/Lexus V8's

The biggest obstacle will be mating up the 5spd to the engine as i will need a bell housing and flywheel etc

Does anyone know if another flywheel from the Toyota family fits?? Or could point me in the direction to get the bell housing

Cheers

lil_bobby_260
Post #10

Nothing stopping you from turbocharging the 1UZ?

Or... import a 1GZ-FE, as opposed to the 1UZ...???
Gotta remember, a 1UZ is only a litre more... a 2JZ turbo would annihilate it. Youd need to do more than just cams and port work. Yella terra did a supercharger kit for these i think? seen them in celsiors. other option is to run a capa or similar centrifugal supercharger. But realistically unless you really have money to burn, wouldnt the best power for $$ increase would just be to spend cash on the 2J...?

adamsvn
Post #11

5 speed conversion is easy, If you want a contact on 1uz's i'm willing to help.

T56 is the best tho and rush imports do the kits.

AlsCruising
Post #12

QUOTE (clutch-monkey @ Feb 3 2012, 06:45 PM) *
^ i had a look at one and fuck me the factory exhaust looks restrictive as hell. surely wouldn't be too hard to give it some pep?

It would definitely be getting a decent exhaust so it can breath.

AlsCruising
Post #13

QUOTE (lil_bobby_260 @ Feb 4 2012, 01:07 AM) *
Nothing stopping you from turbocharging the 1UZ?

Or... import a 1GZ-FE, as opposed to the 1UZ...???
Gotta remember, a 1UZ is only a litre more... a 2JZ turbo would annihilate it. Youd need to do more than just cams and port work. Yella terra did a supercharger kit for these i think? seen them in celsiors. other option is to run a capa or similar centrifugal supercharger. But realistically unless you really have money to burn, wouldnt the best power for $$ increase would just be to spend cash on the 2J...?

Maybe you need to read the OP. I am NOT after BIG HP. I fucking hate dyno queen cars and blokes that talk up all there bolt ons dropping brand names like they did the work themselves. While I have respect for the power they make they are just another jap import that more often then not the owner just throws money at for a mechanic to do the work. Seriously every man and his dog chases big hp. I'm after drivable hp. as in put my foot down and I'm off, not wait for a T88 to take 5mins mins to spool.

I have a 2JZGTE and while i love it to death I'm keen to do something that isn't really different as the idea has been around for a good 10yrs though it is different in the way you pretty much never see it actually done in person.
The litre more makes more torque. I said we would do cams, port/polish etc and a whipple/eaton blower, Im not going to list every mod.

I don't have money to burn though it will cost me at least $8000 to do a TO4Z single on my 95RZ which was going to get me 500hp which gave the engine longevity. I can buy a NA Supra for $10,000 to $13,000 + $3000 for a complete Soarer + Say $8000 for incidentals = $24,000 and I will have a car that is me not just another Supra with a TO4Z and Dad and i did the work ourselves.

So depending on how much i get for my RZ it will only cost me $2000 - $4000 to do the V8 conversion. Thats bloody cheap in my books. Even if Dad and i did nothing ourselves i would be looking at about the same.

Also i chose blower as its keeping in style with the V8 and for what i want it will suit better then a Turbo and be alot cheaper and less stuffing around

lil_bobby_260
Post #14

Good luck with your build. I look forward to seeing the finished car.

Wraith
Post #15

Should be an interesting build but to be honest your probably better off sticking with the turbo model. Better brakes, suspension. Not to mention P plate tax on N/A supras.

AlsCruising
Post #16

QUOTE (Wraith @ Feb 4 2012, 02:20 AM) *
Should be an interesting build but to be honest your probably better off sticking with the turbo model. Better brakes, suspension. Not to mention P plate tax on N/A supras.

Yeah that's a good point. My RZ only has 2pot/1pot even though its a late 95. They have stopped the car fine. The Bilstein suspension is nice in the RZ, never been in a SZ to feel what the base model Suspension is like. It couldn't be that bad. Worse case is i would replace all for corners. What is this P Plate tax you speak of?

smiley
Post #17

QUOTE (AlsCruising @ Feb 4 2012, 12:49 AM) *
I will look into that, though i was quoted $1500 for a front cut. Saves me trying to sell the Soarer body after i take out the engine.

You still need a diff though right? Supra and soarer diffs surely would be different ratios?

DVS13
Post #18

P-plate tax just mean that due to it being n/a you will be paying more for the car then it is actually worth due to the amount of p platers wanting them... Take the Silvia for an example, most turbo models sell for less then n/a ones these days because that's what they all want. One of the worst example of over inflation would have to be KE70, na and RWD.

the_random_hero
Post #19

QUOTE (clutch-monkey @ Feb 3 2012, 06:45 PM) *

I've seen figures of +40/50rwhp with just ECU, intake/exhaust manfiolds changed. Cams are quite restrictive too (as it was built to power luxo barges), they don't make much power above 6k. ITB's look hot, but I'd recommend a low boost twin turbo setup. Last one I did ran twin T28's and on 5psi made 310rwhp with a FUCKTONNE of torque just above idle. It's not -that- complicated, for a twin turbo setup, single turbo is a bit harder. As far as blowers go, not a fan of centrifugal/Roots blowers. I have talked a guy I know who works at Bullet, he said they have no plans of doing a 1UZ twinscrew kit, so that sucks.

T56 is your best bet for a manual box. Cheaper than a R154 and has plenty more strength if you decide to up the ante a bit in the future.

AlsCruising
Post #20

Will look into diffs, would like a torsen.

Oh ok the old supply and demand pretty much. Being a V8 P Players won't be buying then. I thought they would be between $7500 and $10,000 though most I have seen under $5000.

Definitely sticking to a blower. Time for something new. Also I don't want to be another bloke put twins on a V8 boring

smiley
Post #21

What Supra are you talking about?

AlsCruising
Post #22

QUOTE (smiley @ Feb 4 2012, 12:59 PM) *

MKIV Series 1

smiley
Post #23

QUOTE (AlsCruising @ Feb 4 2012, 01:18 PM) *
MKIV Series 1

For $5000?!

clutch-monkey
Post #24

QUOTE (smiley @ Feb 4 2012, 01:40 PM) *
For $5000?!

i'm guessing if he doesn't need the 2j they are cheaper with a blown motor?

smiley
Post #25

QUOTE (clutch-monkey @ Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM) *
i'm guessing if he doesn't need the 2j they are cheaper with a blown motor?

AH yeah... I forgot about that... head_wall.gif lol

lil_bobby_260
Post #26

And V8 soarers where the only thing still in good working order is the motor are pretty common too. theres always a few for sale for 2k or so with either panel damage or fucked interiors/electrics/suspension etc.

gutless
Post #27

+1 for 1GZ biggrin.gif

TwinCam16
Post #28

AlsCruising
Post #29

QUOTE (smiley @ Feb 4 2012, 12:59 PM) *

I answered MKIV Supra Series one as this is model Supra i want to put the V8 in

QUOTE (smiley @ Feb 4 2012, 01:40 PM) *
For $5000?!

The post you incorrectly quoted that from is talking about Soarers. If you looked half a sentence in front of the prices you can see my post was in response to the price of Soarers and that i thought they were worth more then they are and most SOARERS are under $5000

AlsCruising
Post #30

QUOTE (lil_bobby_260 @ Feb 4 2012, 03:22 PM) *
And V8 soarers where the only thing still in good working order is the motor are pretty common too. theres always a few for sale for 2k or so with either panel damage or fucked interiors/electrics/suspension etc.

Yeah i have quickly learnt how easily much they deteriorate for a 15-20yr old car

There have been some really helpful replies with a few things i haven't thought of cheers

B Unit
Post #31

There was a V8 Soarer on here for sale about 2 years ago, he wanted to swap for my Chaser. He had ITB's and a blower, and awesome power figures with heaps of low down torque. If you want to go for a blower over turbos, do some research and go for it. I for one love a good V8 with a blower, getting a bit over turbos.

lil_bobby_260
Post #32

QUOTE (AlsCruising @ Feb 4 2012, 08:20 PM) *
Yeah i have quickly learnt how easily much they deteriorate for a 15-20yr old car

There have been some really helpful replies with a few things i haven't thought of cheers

If you really want to do it, sell the supra you have and buy a cheap shitter daily unless you have another car, and just keep scouring auctions and boost and carsales etc to find a damaged soarer/celsior or lexus variant. Youll get one REALLY cheap, and once you pull what you need from it youll be able to part the rest of the vehicle out as well.
Best supra to find would honeslty be another RZ, but with a fucked motor. that way you get the brakes and suspension and any other perks that the turbo models have. Not going to be as easy or quick to find tho... But if you have something else to drive for a few months, its what id be doing.
You can then obviously sell the motor out of it as a rebuildable 2J turbo.
Last option would be to just get a non-turbo model then like you said. Can still pull the motor out and sell it for someone to put in their cressida (or put it in the soarer/celsior...?)

AlsCruising
Post #33

QUOTE (B Unit @ Feb 4 2012, 09:40 PM) *
There was a V8 Soarer on here for sale about 2 years ago, he wanted to swap for my Chaser. He had ITB's and a blower, and awesome power figures with heaps of low down torque. If you want to go for a blower over turbos, do some research and go for it. I for one love a good V8 with a blower, getting a bit over turbos.

Finally someone gets where im going. V8 are old school american muscle. They are either NA of Suprecharged. anything else to me isn't what they are about. TORQUE TORQUE TORQUE and drivable power. Being a 4L it clearly isn't going to be the same as a 7L Chev though i want to stay with Toyota as Dad and i have spoken about an Chev V8, Alloy, smaller and more power.

Just need to do plenty of thorough research. The 1UZ-FE is the most used though also thinking about 2UZ-FE, 1UR-FSE, 1UR-FE, 2UR-GSE, 2UR-FSE, 3UR-FE as options as they are bigger and more torque. There may be reasons why they haven't been used or simply overlooked.

QUOTE (lil_bobby_260 @ Feb 5 2012, 09:43 AM) *
If you really want to do it, sell the supra you have and buy a cheap shitter daily unless you have another car, and just keep scouring auctions and boost and carsales etc to find a damaged soarer/celsior or lexus variant. Youll get one REALLY cheap, and once you pull what you need from it youll be able to part the rest of the vehicle out as well.
Best supra to find would honeslty be another RZ, but with a fucked motor. that way you get the brakes and suspension and any other perks that the turbo models have. Not going to be as easy or quick to find tho... But if you have something else to drive for a few months, its what id be doing.
You can then obviously sell the motor out of it as a rebuildable 2J turbo.
Last option would be to just get a non-turbo model then like you said. Can still pull the motor out and sell it for someone to put in their cressida (or put it in the soarer/celsior...?)

Big brake and suspension would be nice. To be honest all the Supra's out there with factory suspension will need replacing soon. They are 14-19yrs old so to expect brand new performance is a bit much. It would be good to have Bilstiens to get redone though.
A getrag would be nice though the 5spd will suit quite well. Yeah after getting all the parts i need i can sell off the rest cheap and it makes the build cheaper for me and someone gets a bargain for the parts they need WIN/WIN smile.gif
I need to look at diff ratios to suit as a V8 can get away with taller gears and i want a good ratio for 5th or 6th so the engine can hum along on the highway.

350-400 good honest ponies that will give me longevity is much preferred over 500-600 ponies that i will need to work on here and there.

Most importantly i am in no rush to do this. Id rather take my time and get all my info sorted then rush and find out halfway ive wasted money on this or that and i need to get this etc
When i was first looking at doing this it would have cost $30,000 easily though now I'm looking at $20,000 max

Alot of people don't understand the old V8's and where they come from. Too many people only know Turbos and preach rubbish. How many of us actually know the workings of our engines and the ins and outs.

I for one have learnt plenty from Dad though some of his convo's with my uncle lose me in a heartbeat lol

Love Tappers
Post #34

QUOTE (AlsCruising @ Feb 5 2012, 01:14 PM) *
Alot of people don't understand the old V8's and where they come from. Too many people only know Turbos and preach rubbish. How many of us actually know the workings of our engines and the ins and outs.

I for one have learnt plenty from Dad though some of his convo's with my uncle lose me in a heartbeat lol

You do know that the first production car with a turbo was a old American v8 right?

On topic, Some one in a old HPI magazine put a 1uzfe in a supra and was saying that it went together so easy (lots of the plugs where the same etc). He thought that Toyota was thinking of releasing a 1uzfe Supra.

vvt20v
Post #35

sounds like a fun project!! the good thing these days is the amount of aftermarket bits and pieces that can be had at a 'reasonable' price. Plus the fact the work and research around manual swaps has been tried and tested.

have you had a read of the Zoom magazine a few years back with the LS1 supra?? I know you said chev isnt up your alley but it would probably be an interesting read none the less.

http://www.zoommagazine.com.au/content/zoom-152-0

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x