Hq Sedan - Build type thread.  

Page 3 of 10
Jump to page
Be-Hating
Post #71

Picked up a sticker kit today for the engine and my shocks came today which is perfect. Got the exhaust and intake manifold painted. Ended up buying a 4L tin of thinners and GM-H Black for the chassis and other bits and pieces.

Removed the seat, steering column and master cylinder so that I can fit the booster. Also took one calliper to local brake shop to get it machined ( Bolt snapped ) And wire brushed all the shit off the exhaust + intake manifolds and the stub axles + bolts.

Note: The awesome driveway skids from the Q.

And also, I was asking in other threads + chat if you could fit disc brakes onto drum brake stub axles, Answer is no.

On the disc brake stub axle it has 2x bolting points ( on the left side of the axle ) where the calliper bolts to and on the drum brake does not.

AZNPRIDE
Post #72

Always good to see progress pics...

looks like it has belmont door cards?

Be-Hating
Post #73

QUOTE (AZNPRIDE @ Jan 4 2012, 08:35 PM) *
Always good to see progress pics...

looks like it has belmont door cards?

It does. They'll be changed.

Be-Hating
Post #74

Bought some New rotors to suit my girlock Alloy calipers and have also sanded my chassis rails and firewall for paint tomorrow.

I love my tool bench. tongue.gif

Monaro454
Post #75

were they alloy mate? well done.....I didn't even look at them. were the rotors undersize?

Be-Hating
Post #76

QUOTE (Monaro454 @ Jan 5 2012, 08:04 PM) *
were they alloy mate? well done.....I didn't even look at them. were the rotors undersize?

Yeah they were. The rotors were usable but they needed new bearings so I grabbed a new set of rotors, pads and bearings for good price.

And the callipers are away now getting new pistons and lines so should be good when it's all done. Dad was telling me about how you thought the stato was mine haha tongue.gif

mikejoel
Post #77

awesome progress mate.

Monaro454
Post #78

didn't know you were 16 champ!!

anyways, glad the brakes are getting dorted for you. they are getting there much quicker than mine!!!!!! I have to wait for stuff from America and that is sucking at Christmas time.

CAM-327
Post #79

Great to see another young kid on here!

Cruising will happen once i have my P's!

smile.gif

Be-Hating
Post #80

QUOTE (mikejoel @ Jan 6 2012, 12:34 PM) *
awesome progress mate.

Thanks bud.

QUOTE (Monaro454 @ Jan 6 2012, 02:04 PM) *
didn't know you were 16 champ!!

anyways, glad the brakes are getting dorted for you. they are getting there much quicker than mine!!!!!! I have to wait for stuff from America and that is sucking at Christmas time.

Not many do haha.

QUOTE (CAM-327 @ Jan 6 2012, 02:09 PM) *
Great to see another young kid on here!

Cruising will happen once i have my P's!

smile.gif

Defiantly man, Pretty close to my P's so will have to organise something, Hopefully all the work on this will be done by then.

And also some more progress. Chassis and firewall were painted today aswell as a few bits back on the motor.

Bonkerz
Post #81

Love your work at the moment, any thought into what you are going to do with the interior ( i have a pair of front buckets that i use to have in my van will try and get pics of them ). It is great to see us young guys still have some passion for the old cars.
I have done a rear disk conversion on my HQ panel van, and what a difference it has made. It now has disk all round.

Be-Hating
Post #82

QUOTE (Bonkerz @ Jan 6 2012, 11:02 PM) *
Love your work at the moment, any thought into what you are going to do with the interior ( i have a pair of front buckets that i use to have in my van will try and get pics of them ). It is great to see us young guys still have some passion for the old cars.
I have done a rear disk conversion on my HQ panel van, and what a difference it has made. It now has disk all round.

For the interior I'm just going to go back to stock with the original coloured bench seat and door cards. Besides that the only thing that needs replacing is the dash ( Has ripples ).

They defiantly need discs. Driving it around with drums was bad, If anyone pulled out in front of us, they were goners lol.

Dai.
Post #83

QUOTE (Be-Hating @ Jan 7 2012, 10:39 AM) *
For the interior I'm just going to go back to stock with the original coloured bench seat and door cards. Besides that the only thing that needs replacing is the dash ( Has ripples ).

They defiantly need discs. Driving it around with drums was bad, If anyone pulled out in front of us, they were goners lol.

At least you have the passion to pick up a older classic car instead of some jap crap. Always loved these sort of cars and imo it will look brilliant once your done with it.

B Unit
Post #84

QUOTE (Be-Hating @ Jan 7 2012, 10:39 AM) *

I did the disc brake front end in my HQ when I put a 308 into it, made such a difference. I also did power steering, so it was like a totally new car laugh.gif

Be-Hating
Post #85

QUOTE (Dai. @ Jan 7 2012, 12:07 PM) *
At least you have the passion to pick up a older classic car instead of some jap crap. Always loved these sort of cars and imo it will look brilliant once your done with it.

Thanks mate!

QUOTE (B Unit @ Jan 7 2012, 12:11 PM) *
I did the disc brake front end in my HQ when I put a 308 into it, made such a difference. I also did power steering, so it was like a totally new car laugh.gif

I'm contemplating power steering at the moment, And also aircon. tongue.gif

OT:

Didn't really do much today as I was out and about, bought a carby rebuild kit, Manifold gasket, Exhaust gasket and oil breather.

Took the carby apart and letting it sit in degreaser overnight also separated the guards/inner guards, nosecone and support panel. Started sanding back the support panel for paint.

CAM-327
Post #86

Im in two minds about power steering really, i have a complete - the lower pulley here for my 202.. but i haven't got around to putting it on yet.

My car won't be my daily driver so i don't HAVE to have it, however it would be a luxury..

Hmph.. Don't know yet.

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #87

I put power steering in mine, made such a difference for a couple minutes work its well worth it

racerphill
Post #88

Great to see the young blokes getting into the old cars!

...HOWEVER!

You DONT need power steering, air con, disc brakes etc etc. Nothing wrong with that stuff, but REALLY!!!!

My '70 Valiant is stock standard 225 slant six (can keep up with most mildly worked sixes no problems). Three on the tree manual. Four wheel drum brakes with no booster.
No power steering. No air con (besides the 4 window winders of course!). Not even a windscreen demister, although hoping to change that soon just for safety reasons.

It's my daily driver and I do a MINIMUM of 450km a week with no problems at all.

Like I said, nothing wrong with all that stuff, but in my opinion, if it aint there already, adding it is just adding more stuff that can go wrong. I admit disc brakes are easier to work on, but if they aint broke, dont fix 'em, and they are easier to fix than doing a disc brake conversion.

IF the car had a big, tough V8, then, then I'd recomend disc brakes, but if not spend your money on more important things.

racerphill
Post #89

QUOTE (75 KINGSWOOD @ Jan 8 2012, 10:40 AM) *
I put power steering in mine, made such a difference for a couple minutes work its well worth it

You did a power steering conversion in a couple of minutes?

DeadSled
Post #90

The only thing i hate about my Kingswood is that when its hot (sometimes even only warm..) you end up sticking to the damn seats. Although i find that its moreso on the original part of my seat as opposed to the newer material.

Guess i'll find out when i get it reupholstered soon..

CAM-327
Post #91

I don't have a problem with having no power steering, its just because im on my L's and every time i get in the car with my dad he tells me to pull my finger out and put the P/S on tongue.gif

Either way i don't care.. but the power steering would make it a breeze to drive around carparks etc..

DeadSled
Post #92

Power steering is glorious.

Be-Hating
Post #93

QUOTE (racerphill @ Jan 8 2012, 02:34 PM) *
Great to see the young blokes getting into the old cars!

...HOWEVER!

You DONT need power steering, air con, disc brakes etc etc. Nothing wrong with that stuff, but REALLY!!!!

My '70 Valiant is stock standard 225 slant six (can keep up with most mildly worked sixes no problems). Three on the tree manual. Four wheel drum brakes with no booster.
No power steering. No air con (besides the 4 window winders of course!). Not even a windscreen demister, although hoping to change that soon just for safety reasons.

It's my daily driver and I do a MINIMUM of 450km a week with no problems at all.

Like I said, nothing wrong with all that stuff, but in my opinion, if it aint there already, adding it is just adding more stuff that can go wrong. I admit disc brakes are easier to work on, but if they aint broke, dont fix 'em, and they are easier to fix than doing a disc brake conversion.

IF the car had a big, tough V8, then, then I'd recomend disc brakes, but if not spend your money on more important things.

I understand, But disc brakes are probably the only thing that I'll be changing because IMO, That's the main thing it needs. If I kept the drums I would have spent the same amount getting them rebuilt as I did buying the disc brakes.

OT: Painted various parts and Put the carby back together.

Stickers just sitting on there to give you the idea.

B Unit
Post #94

QUOTE (75 KINGSWOOD @ Jan 8 2012, 10:40 AM) *

They can all thank us later smile.gif

Monaro454
Post #95

what the hell is wrong with youngsters today???

go to the freaken gym or something.

it is called 'armstrong' power steering. means you have bloody strong arms and do it the way it was meant to be!!!!!

for crying out loud, they are only 202's in there. I had 7.6 litres of V8 in one without flamin power steer.

harden up peeps!!

air conditioning works via the winders on each door panel too while we are at it.

if you don't like it, buy a freaken commodore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

** edit** sorry, felt like a rant biggrin.gif

Slick Lad
Post #96

i think i prefer to drive without power steering

Be-Hating
Post #97

QUOTE (Monaro454 @ Jan 8 2012, 09:38 PM) *

it is called 'armstrong' power steering. means you have bloody strong arms and do it the way it was meant to be!!!!!

for crying out loud, they are only 202's in there. I had 7.6 litres of V8 in one without flamin power steer.

harden up peeps!!

air conditioning works via the winders on each door panel too while we are at it.

if you don't like it, buy a freaken commodore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't lower myself and buy a commodore. Again. ph34r.gif

She'll be left Non-power steering and No aircon! Da Daaa!

And what's with all this "Wind the window down for aircon etc etc" You's do know I have a 202 which is only capable of reaching speeds slower then a turtle . tongue.gif

racerphill
Post #98

harden up peeps!!

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Listen to this man youngans! He is wise and will teach you much about the ways of old skool cool!

Monaro454
Post #99

QUOTE (racerphill @ Jan 8 2012, 11:04 PM) *
AMEN BROTHER!!!

Listen to this man youngans! He is wise and will teach you much about the ways of old skool cool!

LOL!!

I am wise.... but not very cool. sad.gif

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #100

QUOTE (racerphill @ Jan 8 2012, 02:35 PM) *
You did a power steering conversion in a couple of minutes?

actually yes, pump was already on the engine, unbolted the steering box and on went the p/steering
OT: Joel the paint looks mint thumbsup.gif

74QEE
Post #101

Ive had both good air con and power steering setups, i sold the a/c a long time ago, because the windows work well enough (well not the front passenger one, thanks DeadShit) and even now with a 308 in there, i still dont think it needs power steering, its only hard to steer when your not moving, which you shouldnt be trying to steer then anyway! The only modern items i have in my car are the cd player and speakers, which i rarely listen to anymore due to the fact that i have a sweet sounding 308 smile.gif

Joel your car is coming along well!! Looks like you have been flat out!

O/T. I just painted a door and skulled 1.25L of Solo. I am all that is man.

wbtonner
Post #102

QUOTE (CAM-327 @ Jan 8 2012, 06:10 PM) *
I don't have a problem with having no power steering, its just because im on my L's and every time i get in the car with my dad he tells me to pull my finger out and put the P/S on tongue.gif

Either way i don't care.. but the power steering would make it a breeze to drive around carparks etc..

Power steering is good for parking and for drifting in the rain. On track of course.

wbtonner
Post #103

harden up peeps!!

Holy shit you just described me. ph34r.gif

P/S is honestly more fun in the wet when you just want to palm steer the shit every where tongue.gif
Though I cant compare them. wink.gif I either had p/s or the belt came off and basically had no steering LOL.

Remember that time at Harry's when I was reversing. hsnono.gif

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #104

QUOTE (wbtonner @ Jan 9 2012, 01:34 PM) *
Holy shit you just described me. ph34r.gif

P/S is honestly more fun in the wet when you just want to palm steer the shit every where tongue.gif
Though I cant compare them. wink.gif I either had p/s or the belt came off and basically had no steering LOL.

Remember that time at Harry's when I was reversing. hsnono.gif

yeah the belt came off the other week, replaced the pully and it was all sweet. Best thing i have done was buy your engine

Be-Hating
Post #105

Got my callipers back today. Bought a new booster as this one was screwed. And also my front end kit is away being put together so hopefully it'll all be on the car by next weekend.

Sticker kit all on:

Calipers:

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 3 of 10
Jump to page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x