6 Cylinder Hot Rod/rat Rods  

Page 2 of 4
Jump to page
Torrie_Man
Post #36

QUOTE (74QEE @ Aug 16 2011, 09:28 PM) *
I hope you arseholes step on a lego brick barefoot!

Kingswoods, GMC's and Chev trucks?

Go play your banjo redneck.

Big_Black_Pontiac
Post #37

If done right a rat rod isnt a condition its a style

74QEE
Post #38

How about you stop hating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG4pKmHQaRA

DeadSled
Post #39

QUOTE (spyder6052 @ Aug 16 2011, 09:32 PM) *
oh look deadsled discribing his own cars

None of my cars are like that? Well except my Kingswoods few rust bubbles that i'm gonna fix in the next week or two.

74QEE
Post #40

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Aug 16 2011, 09:44 PM) *
None of my cars are like that? Well except my Kingswoods few rust bubbles that i'm gonna fix in the next week or two.

This is actually whats going to happen.

harry76
Post #41

Sorta missed my point Deadsled, ok so youve got cool parts cheaply to make a cool looking rod, and as you said try doing that for that kind of money.... its getting harder and harder aint it? And especially hard to build one for that money that stands out huh?

So unless you want hotrodding to die out or become a hobby of the rich you should encourage change instead of knocking how many cylinders it has

Big_Black_Pontiac
Post #42

well this is a 4 cylinder rod made from a london taxi, I'de have it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33608333@N06/...in/photostream/

no more holdens
Post #43

Howly fuk,
Talk about a can of worms !!!

Theres a big difference between a $2500 pile of parts and a complete driving and finished item

To say it cant be done on the cheap

Rolling chassis, (complete with 5.11 ratio hilux diff)nothin
Straight six/auto box,extractors, electric fuel pump, nothin
EK radiator, thermo fans, trans cooler, nothin
Ol Fordson grill,nothin
Steel frame for rear flat top tray,nothin
Full wiring,nothin

Ive got everything here, except a body,have the steel for a frame out here , again nothin
Theres enuf panels and shit lying around,thats been marked up to use,again, nothin
Twin carbs,include manifold, a whopn $15 !!!

So my expenses to date,$15

The wheelbase from the donor is 90 ",which puts the harmonic balancer about 100 MM forward of the front axle line
(This is with a 50mm gap between engine block and flat firewall)
But i can unbolt the front end and move 300 odd MM forward,which would have the motor backward of the front axle centre line
So saying a six WONT fit, is total bullshit
Even at 90" wheelbase
A 1300mm long tray , a 1100mm body, 50mm between the block and a flat firewall,doesnt look to out of proportion
But 102" wheelbase mite look better ???
The radiator and thermo is a snug fit inside the grill

clutch-monkey
Post #44

i like this, i guess. not sure if genuine hotrod given the posts above

DeadSled
Post #45

That comes under a i suppose a well done rat rod (god i hate that term..) or a cartoonish proportions rod.

incubus
Post #46

god there are some dead shits on this forum.

'rat rods' are a term cooked up by seppo's to describe unfinished yet driveable rods. the got the title because wait for it....... they looked ratty. you can blame the media for that particular style car becoming mainstream.
who gives a rats arse if a rod looks like something from a cartoon? it was people like george and sam barris, boyd coddington, and many others that pushed the envelope with street/hot rodding back in the day and look at some of the cars they were building.

racerphill
Post #47

With all due respect to you Nick, because I like a lot of the stuff you do, but I think it's actually you who doesn't quite grasp the hot rodding idea.

Doing something countless other people have done is fine, but it's not the only way. Doing it the way they used to do it is fine, but its just one style. When the original guys did those things to their cars, they were not doing it to conform to a particular style. They were customizing their cars they way they wanted to and to be different and to stand out. By saying that only traditional style cars are real hot rods, that is actually against the whole idea of hot rodding.

Also, the reason those guys used flatheads and four bangers is because that's what was commonly found in the wrecking yards and paddocks etc at that time, not because they thought that was the way to build a real hotrod.

Also, dont get so hung up on terms. So what if something is called a rat rod, or whatever. If it's cool, and the person who owns it likes it, who cares what label some want to put on it?

I'm seriously thinking about using my spare '34 Chev chassis to do a 6 cylinder budget hotrod, because I have an engine, gearbox, diff, front end etc already laying around. My other project is gonna be a long way off, so why not build something cheap and fun to enjoy in the meantime. It'll be bare bones, nothing flash, but I'll be having fun and driving something cool.

Anchor
Post #48

So a hotrod in this day an age could be a VK commodore, junker LS1 from the wreckers, second hand chrome mags and a dodgy paintjob? Seeing as how its all period correct stuff..

Torrie_Man
Post #49

QUOTE (Anchor @ Aug 18 2011, 03:32 PM) *
So a hotrod in this day an age could be a VK commodore, junker LS1 from the wreckers, second hand chrome mags and a dodgy paintjob? Seeing as how its all period correct stuff..

I believe the term "Hot Rod" doe not apply to modern vehicles.

DeadSled
Post #50

The thing that annoys me is like the example Anchor gave Phil, and the americans do the same. They call anything with a worked engine and flash paint a Hot Rod.

According to the ASRF (and i sort of disagree with this even..) is that a Hot Rod is a pre '48 vehicle. To me, Hot Rods stop at '34 because a '35 onwards Ford for example started using fat fenders and a bigger body than that of previous models.

Now onto the point you made Phil.. while yes, they used what was simply there to use back in the day and that is now what we constitute as "traditional" i still don't believe that using the same train of thought for Hot Rods these days is the same deal.

See, the old traditional Hot Rods actually use parts that are from other models from the same brand. Like you know.. a Model A roadster, with a '32 chassis.. a '32 axle, '42 Merc flathead V8, a '39 box, a '39 diff, a '40 steering column and wheel, '39 brake assembly.. the list goes on.

Using a RHS chassis, with a Chevy cowl and doors, a home built shithouse looking pickup bed, a L300 van front end, with a jag rear, a 245 Hemi six and gearbox, a tailshaft from a gemini, brakes from a commodore, a grill from a tractor, steering rack from a torana thats sticking right out the front for the world to see.. windscreen posts made from pipe ect ect.. is not a fucking hot rod. Its a pile of parts that look like shit.

I'm a traditional Hot Rodder. Telling me that the above mentioned is a Hot Rod is like telling the pope god sucks dick.

no more holdens
Post #51

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Aug 18 2011, 06:17 PM) *
The thing that annoys me is like the example Anchor gave Phil, and the americans do the same. They call anything with a worked engine and flash paint a Hot Rod.

According to the ASRF (and i sort of disagree with this even..) is that a Hot Rod is a pre '48 vehicle. To me, Hot Rods stop at '34 because a '35 onwards Ford for example started using fat fenders and a bigger body than that of previous models.

Now onto the point you made Phil.. while yes, they used what was simply there to use back in the day and that is now what we constitute as "traditional" i still don't believe that using the same train of thought for Hot Rods these days is the same deal.

See, the old traditional Hot Rods actually use parts that are from other models from the same brand. Like you know.. a Model A roadster, with a '32 chassis.. a '32 axle, '42 Merc flathead V8, a '39 box, a '39 diff, a '40 steering column and wheel, '39 brake assembly.. the list goes on.

Using a RHS chassis, with a Chevy cowl and doors, a home built shithouse looking pickup bed, a L300 van front end, with a jag rear, a 245 Hemi six and gearbox, a tailshaft from a gemini, brakes from a commodore, a grill from a tractor, steering rack from a torana thats sticking right out the front for the world to see.. windscreen posts made from pipe ect ect.. is not a fucking hot rod. Its a pile of parts that look like shit.

I'm a traditional Hot Rodder. Telling me that the above mentioned is a Hot Rod is like telling the pope god sucks dick.

While i tend to agree, i dont
A duvall windscreen , tho some like , some just cant afford

Some tend to make their own, im looking into it
I sold all my 40 ford panels and chassis and make a very healthy profit
So why not decide rather than build something authentic and conform to the masses
I could build something that is against the grain , something im not scared to drive or enjoy
A bit like a genuine muscle car to a fake
Is it any different than someone wacking a 327/350/454 in a que and say
"This is what i enjoy"
No its not

Nick , IF you can post me links or info on a "I" beam front , complete thats not rooted for a coupla hundred
Let me know, cause id love to do a gasser as well
Oh hang on are they authentic ???

Whats a real hot rod ???
Is that the Question ???

Well i dunno, but read alot of 70s magazines, and boy theres alot of vintage fords/chevs with 6s

Is it any different that some bloke saying their original HQ GTS with the
350 chev/5 speed supra box/9 " ford diff is all original !!!

Im not saying what im building is to resemble a factory option

Is it really any different than someone doin a 2 door conversion on an FB/EK and still calling it a holden ???

Customising/rodding is what its all about
We all have different tastes

DeadSled
Post #52

As far as the beam axle thing goes, hell.. i've got 3 sets of front springs and a spare model a axle here that i'd of sold you but i want to use the axle as a wall hanger.

They are out there.. Model A stuff is easy to find. None of the rodders here want anything to do with it because their all soft cocks that would rather a disgusting jag front end than a beam axle. I got given a wishbone free for gods sake. Just go to swap meets, keep your eyes on ebay and you'll find it all. It comes up quite regulaly.

Hell, if you decide to do a model a buy the repro rails and a front crossmember and i'll build you a chassis in my jig.

Edit: I don't really understand your comparisons. A two doored EK is still an EK Holden, regardless of being turned into a two door.

Also of course vintage Chevs are going to have 6's in them, they came from factory with them! They all had the Blue Flame 6 up until i think the 49 Chevs where they called them a Stovebolt from then on.

I also think theres not much of a difference between two HQ GTS's one being all original and one having a 9" and a 5spd gearbox. They both appear to be the same car.

You get a traditional Model A and compare it to a hunk of parts thrown together "hot rod" with bits from everything, and its pretty obvious which one is a truer hot rod.

74QEE
Post #53

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Aug 18 2011, 06:17 PM) *

SHUT THE FUCK UP,IF YOU WERE A TRADITIONAL HOT RODDER YOU WOULD GET A FUCKING JOB SO YOU COULD SPEND MONEY ON YOUR FUCKING CARS YOU SLACK FUCK AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Until your "hot rod"is anymore than two pieces of rhs braced together,a diff,and a fuel tank,SHUT THE FUCK UP

SO MANY ANGERSSSSSS

74QEE
Post #54

STOP FUCKING JUDGING EVERYONE YOU FAT LITTLE HAIRY MAN

DeadSled
Post #55

QUOTE (74QEE @ Aug 18 2011, 06:40 PM) *
SHUT THE FUCK UP,IF YOU WERE A TRADITIONAL HOT RODDER YOU WOULD GET A FUCKING JOB SO YOU COULD SPEND MONEY ON YOUR FUCKING CARS YOU SLACK FUCK AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Until your "hot rod"is anymore than two pieces of rhs braced together,a diff,and a fuel tank,SHUT THE FUCK UP

SO MANY ANGERSSSSSS

Your angry because you can't have a stupid redneck truck.

I have a job now and am working fuckface, so stfu. Also moving the shop into a new shed and i'm taking my Model A in there because i'm not going to pass up a chance to use guillos folders bandsaw tig welder and all the other shit to build my roadster in no time at all. Give it a month or two and i'll have a rolling chassis done. Suck on that one you jealous @#$!. Maybe you could pull the cab off your Rodeo and put a Chevy cowl on it.

Oh wait.. You can't get a Hot Rod registered in QLD unless it has an original or reproduction chassis. Back luck.

Big_Black_Pontiac
Post #56

the trouble with "hot rods" 34 and older is they all look the same except oh that ones blue, oh thats red oh and theres a black one
that one has red steelies and that one has dragways. gimme "rat rods" any day i love em
except matt black vk wagons and the other shit with a bit of rust that people seem to think are rat rods

no more holdens
Post #57

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Aug 18 2011, 06:44 PM) *
Oh wait.. You can't get a Hot Rod registered in QLD unless it has an original or reproduction chassis. Back luck.

Reproduction chassis,
Is that AUTHENTIC ???

To me a pre 48 is it exactly that
PRE 48
Not a MO FO RHS chassis, or a REPRODUCTION chassis
The exact thing your AGAINST

Do a search from your glass house
There is rebodied hilux chassis with 1941 type willys bodies on them
Called rebodies, that must comply with the relevant chassis emisson and safety regs

74QEE
Post #58

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Aug 18 2011, 06:44 PM) *
Your angry because you can't have a stupid redneck truck.

I have a job now and am working fuckface, so stfu. Also moving the shop into a new shed and i'm taking my Model A in there because i'm not going to pass up a chance to use guillos folders bandsaw tig welder and all the other shit to build my roadster in no time at all. Give it a month or two and i'll have a rolling chassis done. Suck on that one you jealous @#$!. Maybe you could pull the cab off your Rodeo and put a Chevy cowl on it.

The only thing you have ever been committed to for long enough to finish is a 6 peice feed and large chips.

And there is only one thing im jelous of about you,your mum still makes your bed.

DeadSled
Post #59

I don't care for reproduction chassis, at least they look original. They are also authentic enough when they are an exact replicat, as opposed to a damn Hilux chasiss. My Model A is an ORIGINAL chassis for what its worth.

I'm aware of rebodied stuff, i don't care for it though.

wbtonner
Post #60

QUOTE (74QEE @ Aug 18 2011, 07:02 PM) *
The only thing you have ever been committed to for long enough to finish is a 6 peice feed and large chips.

And there is only one thing im jelous of about you,your mum still makes your bed.

She cooked me dinner once, it was great.

Lol, threads turned into shit fight. And I thought you could register a car if its legally engineered and road worthy but it was under the chassis name, not the actual body.
Don't care either way as I like big bodied cars with big tough engines. biggrin.gif

74QEE
Post #61

QUOTE (wbtonner @ Aug 18 2011, 07:07 PM) *
She cooked me dinner once, it was great.

Lol, threads turned into shit fight. And I thought you could register a car if its legally engineered and road worthy but it was under the chassis name, not the actual body.
Don't care either way as I like big bodied cars with big tough engines. biggrin.gif

You can, i looked at buying a 55 chevy pickup on a wb tonner chassis,was all enginered.Was classed as a Wb tonner with a major body mod

DeadSled
Post #62

Dont think you can do it on pre 48 vehicles though. Read up on it earlier.

incubus
Post #63

QUOTE (Big_Black_Pontiac @ Aug 18 2011, 06:22 PM) *
the trouble with "hot rods" 34 and older is they all look the same except oh that ones blue, oh thats red oh and theres a black one
that one has red steelies and that one has dragways. gimme "rat rods" any day i love em
except matt black vk wagons and the other shit with a bit of rust that people seem to think are rat rods

to the untrained eye yes they do all look the same but you'll find most post '34 rod have very subtle changes that just don't stand out.

im half tempted to link this shit fight on ozrodders so they can all have a laugh

74QEE
Post #64

here nick,SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DOLE BLUDGER

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/hotrod-ratrod-c...=item2a12b8fbd3

DeadSled
Post #65

Majority of Ozrodders cars are fucking shit anyway, they love L300 front ends and Jag rear ends.

DeadSled
Post #66

QUOTE (74QEE @ Aug 18 2011, 08:13 PM) *
here nick,SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DOLE BLUDGER

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/hotrod-ratrod-chev-pickup-collector-34-roadster-windsor-/180702739411?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2a12b8fbd3" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/hotrod-ratrod-c...=item2a12b8fbd3</a>

Lol, awesome Hot Rod.

74QEE
Post #67

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Aug 18 2011, 08:14 PM) *
Majority of Ozrodders cars are fucking shit anyway, they love L300 front ends and Jag rear ends.

Oh my fucking god there you go again

At least these guys have finished cars and dont sit around all day claiming benefits there not entitled too.

They are in there sheds making there L300 front ends and hilux diffs fit to there cars,

Until your fucking scrap metal collection forms somewhat of a car shape,shut the fuck up.

I hope the entire ozrodz forum has there way with you while you sleep.

incubus
Post #68

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Aug 18 2011, 07:44 PM) *

you really are a drop kick

Big_Black_Pontiac
Post #69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxzBeYNSLnc

this is a mates rat rod, international body, chevy engine,rusted body, no paint, home made tray, holden front(wb ute chassis) thames van grill, i guess this is shit as well right?

jebby88
Post #70

QUOTE (Big_Black_Pontiac @ Aug 18 2011, 08:30 PM) *
<a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxzBeYNSLnc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxzBeYNSLnc</a>

this is a mates rat rod, international body, chevy engine,rusted body, no paint, home made tray, holden front(wb ute chassis) thames van grill, i guess this is shit as well right?

Awesome, a family friend is doing the same ahs an old chev pick up, basicly fits straight on a hq chassis (some modification of course)

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 4
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x