Mod Plates For P Platers - stupid qld transport cant make its mind up !  

Page 2 of 4
Jump to page
mark1414
Post #36

QUOTE (truffles @ Mar 1 2011, 09:29 PM) *
To my knowledge, and this is 100% technically in-depth. The N-VCT Rb25de was not offered (or existed) when it was optioned on the R32. Subsequently, a later rb25 is not offered on that chassis. No one would give a rats about that, but following everything to the letter of the law then it's true.

As far as I know its a grey area, similar to the 4age 20v in the ae82 etc. Its the same block but a different head, so is it not a engine conversion and just a head conversion?

TwinCam16
Post #37

QUOTE (truffles @ Mar 1 2011, 09:29 PM) *
To my knowledge, and this is 100% technically in-depth. The N-VCT Rb25de was not offered (or existed) when it was optioned on the R32. Subsequently, a later rb25 is not offered on that chassis. No one would give a rats about that, but following everything to the letter of the law then it's true.

It states engine, not variant.

truffles
Post #38

QUOTE (TwinCam16 @ Mar 1 2011, 09:33 PM) *
It states engine, not varient.

Balls.

chris2far
Post #39

iPods amazing arent they

minirobbie
Post #40

QUOTE (xxxxgold @ Mar 1 2011, 05:45 PM) *
Yes it will legal for her to drive but I have to ask the question why? I know 3/8 of bugger all about Soarers but surely the more economical option would be to sell the turbo Soarer and buy a N/A one?

And no (in QLD anyway), it won't require a mod plate assuming the 2jzge was a factory option (I told you I know nothing about them!).

if its already mod plated for the other motor it will need another for the conversion back , and no matter if its a factory option or not it still needs a mod plate , it just doesnt need prior approval for a mod plate

TwinCam16
Post #41

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 09:46 PM) *
if its already mod plated for the other motor it will need another for the conversion back , and no matter if its a factory option or not it still needs a mod plate , it just doesnt need prior approval for a mod plate

Errr

Prior approval?

No such thing.

minirobbie
Post #42

QUOTE (TwinCam16 @ Mar 1 2011, 09:48 PM) *
Errr

Prior approval?

No such thing.

i suggest you read the site again , as there are some mods that require prior approval before you can do them
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-s...ifications.aspx

The Motor vehicle modifications booklet (PDF, 546.6 KB) provides legal and safety guidelines for people wishing to modify vehicles with a gross mass up to and including 4.5 tonnes from the manufacturer's original specifications. The guidelines also include motorbikes.

Modifications can be approved in three ways:

1.Minor modifications
Many minor modifications can be carried out without obtaining written approval. Details of these modifications are outlined in section one of the booklet.

2.Complex modifications
Complex modifications such as engine, gearbox and rear axle, steering and brake replacements require approval from an Approved Person. Details of these modifications and the Approved Person Scheme are outlined in section two of the booklet.

The Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles (PDF, 3.4 MB) contains detailed standards for a wide range complex modifications commonly performed on light vehicles. Only Approved Persons, with the appropriate Code accreditation, or Authorised Officers can approve modifications that comply with the Code of Practice.

The document is available in sections to make it easier to download:
◦Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles - Part 1 (PDF, 391.3 KB)
◦Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles - Part 2 (PDF, 309.4 KB)
◦Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles - Part 3 (PDF, 431.8 KB)
◦Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles - Part 4 (PDF, 396.6 KB)
◦Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles - Part 5 (PDF, 392 KB)
◦Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles - Part 6 (PDF, 381.2 KB)
◦Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles - Part 7 (PDF, 366 KB)
◦Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles - Part 8 (PDF, 394.2 KB)
◦Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles - Part 9 (PDF, 444.1 KB)

The Code of Practice is based on accepted vehicle engineering practices and the requirements of the Australian Design Rules for Motor Vehicle Safety. It is intended to supplement the recommendations of the original vehicle manufacturer in relation to vehicle modification techniques or standards. It is important to note that the Australian Design Rules and the original manufacturer’s modification guidelines take precedence over the Code of Practice.

A hard copy of the Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles can be purchased from Goprint at www.goprint.qld.gov.au.

Note: A National Code of Practice Light Vehicle Construction and Modification will soon replace the Queensland Code of Practice: Light Motor Vehicles. The Department of Transport and Main Roads supports the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board in finalising the national code. The department will implement the national code in respective Queensland legislation as soon as possible following final approval.

3.Specific modifications
Some owners require approval for modifications which may be outside the scope of the Approved Person Scheme. Details of how to apply for these modifications are outlined in section three of the booklet.

The Motor Vehicle Modification Application form (F1854) is used when applying to the Department of Transport and Main Roads for specific modification. A fee is payable for the evaluation of plans. Before commencing any specific modifications please send submissions to:

Vehicle Standards and Regulation
PO Box 673
Fortitude Valley, QLD 4006

Applicants should supply as much vehicle and engineering detail as possible to avoid delays in processing of submissions.
For further advice regarding vehicle modifications, call the Modification Help Desk on (07) 3253 4851

so prior approvals .. there is such a thing .

TwinCam16
Post #43

I stand by my statement.

In respect to the level of modification we are talking about here, there is no such thing a prior approval.

You don't get prior approval for doing an engine conversion.

minirobbie
Post #44

all engine swaps require a mod plate weather its manufacturers original option or not. ^^^^^ that is all direct from the tmr website. and i have the complete modifications handbook, i can scan the page if you prefer, but if you go to te website and download the specific sections it tells you everything, secion 1 and 2 are mostly about engines etc

TwinCam16
Post #45

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:00 PM) *
all engine swaps require a mod plate weather its manufacturers original option or not. ^^^^^ that is all direct from the tmr website. and i have the complete modifications handbook, i can scan the page if you prefer, but if you go to te website and download the specific sections it tells you everything, secion 1 and 2 are mostly about engines etc

I think you might need to read the information yourself mate.

Not all engine swaps require a mod plate.

None of the instances / level of modification require PRIOR approval either.

minirobbie
Post #46

i didnt say you had to get prior approvals for all engine swaps , unless it is out of the ordinary and classified as a complex modification then you do need prior approval
i have just done it to get a mod plate for a sr 20 into a 72 triumph. had to outline all the mods propesed to suspension brakes etc and any structural changes and now have approval to procceed with the project. and to get the mod plate. it all depends on wat you are putting the motor in and what you are changing

minirobbie
Post #47

in respect to fitting of turbo engines into non turbo cars you do. even if it was a manufactures option or not

TwinCam16
Post #48

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:03 PM) *
i didnt say you had to get prior approvals for engine swaps , unless it is out of the ordinary and classified as a complex modification then you do need prior approval
i have just done it to get a mod plate for a sr 20 into a 72 triumph. had to outline all the mods propesed to suspension brakes etc and any structural changes and now have approval to procceed with the project. and to get the mod plate. it all depends on wat you are putting the motor in and what you are changing

I was referring to your incorrect statement that all engine swaps require a mod plate, which is false.

Factory conversions are permitted without approval.

Go read sonny.

As for the prior approval, I'm stumped as to why you even mentioned it to start with.

xxxxgold
Post #49

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:00 PM) *

I'll save you the trouble...

Manufacturers Optional Engines

No approval is required for the fitting of an engine which is offered by the manufacturer as an option for a particular vehicle providing the engine is installed in accordance with the manufacturers specifications.

Taken from the Code of Practice - Light Vehicles (page 12).

TwinCam16
Post #50

QUOTE (xxxxgold @ Mar 1 2011, 10:07 PM) *
I'll save you the trouble...

Manufacturers Optional Engines

No approval is required for the fitting of an engine which is offered by the manufacturer as an option for a particular vehicle providing the engine is installed in accordance with the manufacturers specifications.

Taken from the Code of Practice - Light Vehicles (page 12).

Thank you.

Pulling up PDF docs via 3g internet is painfull.

minirobbie
Post #51

QUOTE (TwinCam16 @ Mar 1 2011, 10:09 PM) *
Thank you.

Pulling up PDF docs via 3g internet is painfull.

that says no approval is needed but it doesnt say that no mod plate is needed. the only engines that can be fitted without a mod plate is if it is a manufactures equivilent engine not a turbo or supercharged motor going into a naturaly aspirated car. all turbo instalations into n/a cars need a mod plate its in the book

have done it several times

TwinCam16
Post #52

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:13 PM) *
that says no approval is needed but it doesnt say that no mod plate is needed. the only engines that can be fitted without a mod plate is if it is a manufactures equivilent engine not a turbo or supercharged motor going into a naturaly aspirated car. all turbo instalations into n/a cars need a mod plate its in the book

have done it several times

You realize approval IS the mod plate right?

Show me where it's listed in this magical book then.

minirobbie
Post #53

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/34bd158d...ctionspart1.pdf
go there and look at page 15

TwinCam16
Post #54

Cut and paste?

minirobbie
Post #55

also look at page 12 , if the replacement engine has a output of 10 % or greater then it also needs a mod plate and due to the required up grading o braking systems they also need a mod plate for them too. even fitting a turbo to a rb 30 in a commodore needs a mod plate , just done 2 due to them being defected by transport for not having them , so id be very careful and check with transport

xxxxgold
Post #56

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:15 PM) *

All page 15 has is a list of acceptable non equivalent engineswhich has absolutely nothing to do with your argument whatsoever.

And As TwinCam said, the mod plate IS the approval. Take my advice, the time for backpedalling is nigh...

minirobbie
Post #57

it wont let me cut and paste from a pdf sorry been trying

minirobbie
Post #58

it means you dont need approval from a person who holds la1 to do te conversion as it is allowed under the scheme. you just need to go get te mod plate

xxxxgold
Post #59

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:18 PM) *
also look at page 12 , if the replacement engine has a output of 10 % or greater then it also needs a mod plate

That's a replacement engine, not an optional engine. Both have entirely different definitions under the Code.

minirobbie
Post #60

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:15 PM) *

my mistake it was page 6

TwinCam16
Post #61

also look at page 12 , if the replacement engine has a output of 10 % or greater then it also needs a mod plate and due to the required up grading o braking systems they also need a mod plate for them too. even fitting a turbo to a rb 30 in a commodore needs a mod plate , just done 2 due to them being defected by transport for not having them , so id be very careful and check with transport

You are digging yourself deeper into a hole here mate.

And yes I was waiting for you to make refernce to the 10% rule.

Being that it's not 10% higher than the optional motor fitted to the chassis, this again is irrelevant.

Braking systems do NOT require a mod plate IF avail from the factory.

I find it funny (lie?) that you had two RB30ET VL commodores defected by DOT in QLD when its rare that they even defect people to begin with, let alone two of them, both being known to you.

xxxxgold
Post #62

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:20 PM) *
it means you dont need approval from a person who holds la1 to do te conversion as it is allowed under the scheme. you just need to go get te mod plate

If I understand your garbled post correctly I am assuming you are still on the 'mod plates and approvals are different' train.

I'll say it again, the mod plate (and accompanying certificate) ARE the approval, they are the same thing!

xxxxgold
Post #63

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:22 PM) *
my mistake it was page 6

If the replacement (not optional remember....) is equivalent to the engine which it replaces then no approval is necessary.

Once again I fail to see your point, all this illustrates is that in certain circumstances, even if the engine was not available as an option, no approval is required.

minirobbie
Post #64

well then i guess that the rb 25 det into rb25 de skyline we did recnently didnt need one either, altough qld transport maryborough said it did.

minirobbie
Post #65

oh and when it comes to imported vehicles the rules are different as there is no equivilent motor to any motor that was available in australia

xxxxgold
Post #66

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:28 PM) *
altough qld transport maryborough said it did.

They were wrong, always take ANYTHING Queensland Transport say with a grain of salt. They are wrong wore times than they are right in regards to vehicle modifications.

xxxxgold
Post #67

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 1 2011, 10:29 PM) *
oh and when it comes to imported vehicles the rules are different as there is no equivilent motor to any motor that was available in australia

:headwall:

I give up, I'm going to bed.

02GZM
Post #68

You aren't understanding the code of practice properly. Which is understandable with the QCOP since it's as old as the dead sea scrolls. If the engine is a factory option for a particular model of car then it doesn't require a mod plate (e.g. RB30ET swap in a VL). But turbo'ing a naturally aspirated engine (RB30E+T) does require the mod plate.

minirobbie
Post #69

well i was talking to them today about other stuff and asked about it and they said it did need a plate and that was from the modifications head office in fortitude valley

minirobbie
Post #70

oh and we r probably arguing about nothing because the qld modifictions scheme is about to be replaced by a national scheme so everything will no doubt change anyways

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 4
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x