Mod Plates For P Platers - stupid qld transport cant make its mind up !  

Page 4 of 4
Jump to page
xxxxgold
Post #106

QUOTE (Set @ Mar 2 2011, 08:45 PM) *
Sorry for not having a decent look myself, but what is the ruling on transmission swaps? E.g, could I legally drive a VK that was originally a 3 spd auto, but is now a 5 spd manual on my P plates? Both transmissions were available from factory iirc.

A box that was available as a factory option does not require approval but even if it did, P platers could legally drive it as it is not an engine modification.

mark1414
Post #107

QUOTE (Set @ Mar 2 2011, 08:45 PM) *
Sorry for not having a decent look myself, but what is the ruling on transmission swaps? E.g, could I legally drive a VK that was originally a 3 spd auto, but is now a 5 spd manual on my P plates? Both transmissions were available from factory iirc.

You wouldn't even need to get that mod plated if you using all the stock manual gear from another VK.

HP Plod
Post #108

Didn't I stir a hornets nest?

I might catch a few to increase my daily's killerwasps.

Good to see a somewhat civilised discussion..

xxxxgold
Post #109

QUOTE (HP Plod @ Mar 2 2011, 09:01 PM) *
Didn't I stir a hornets nest?

I might catch a few to increase my daily's killerwasps.

Good to see a somewhat civilised discussion..

Did I see you at Burpengary today? :)

Set
Post #110

Cheers folks, feel more confident now in what I am searching for. :)

HP Plod
Post #111

QUOTE (xxxxgold @ Mar 2 2011, 09:04 PM) *
Did I see you at Burpengary today? :)

ok theres a story there?

176OES
Post #112

QUOTE (OLD GEEZER @ Mar 2 2011, 04:34 PM) *
All of that and more with nobody to teach me how

You're doing alright mate... dont worry about these young smartalec whippersnappers! :)

xxxxgold
Post #113

QUOTE (HP Plod @ Mar 2 2011, 09:12 PM) *
ok theres a story there?

Nah no story, blue HP vehicle had an older car pulled up northbound, I was heading southbound back from Caboolture. Was just wondering if it might have been you :) I ran into a Boost member earlier in the day and it just got me thinking.

HP Plod
Post #114

QUOTE (xxxxgold @ Mar 2 2011, 09:16 PM) *
Nah no story, blue HP vehicle had an older car pulled up northbound, I was heading southbound back from Caboolture. Was just wondering if it might have been you :) I ran into a Boost member earlier in the day and it just got me thinking.

XXXX, you be trolling for my location aren't you.. just like everyone else.... have you been stopped by me?

Oh got to love keeping you all guessing. no one has any clue where I'm at. Carton of XXXX for those who pick.

xxxxgold
Post #115

QUOTE (HP Plod @ Mar 2 2011, 09:28 PM) *
have you been stopped by me?

I haven't been stopped by police in many years, outside of the occasional RBT. Speed cameras on the other hand..... :)

TwinCam16
Post #116

Would you two like a room? :)

W1NT3R
Post #117

Im also a Cop...

Darkness
Post #118

QUOTE (TwinCam16 @ Mar 2 2011, 09:35 PM) *
Would you two like a room? :D

Yes, xxxxgold with his wig and HP Plod with his handcuffs. :)

TwinCam16
Post #119

QUOTE (Darkness @ Mar 2 2011, 10:10 PM) *
Yes, xxxxgold with his wig and HP Plod with his handcuffs. :)

That's just fucked up dude.

HLLYWD
Post #120

QUOTE (OLD GEEZER @ Mar 2 2011, 08:51 AM) *
Do I know you ?????????

LOL

QUOTE (W1NT3R @ Mar 2 2011, 10:08 PM) *
Im also a Cop...

Oh shiii- :(

HP Plod
Post #121

QUOTE (Darkness @ Mar 2 2011, 10:10 PM) *
Yes, xxxxgold with his wig and HP Plod with his handcuffs. :jerkit:

Something tells me he has had this fantasy before??? :ugh:

patrick_h_oz
Post #122

QUOTE (TwinCam16 @ Mar 1 2011, 09:10 PM) *
Couldn't agree more.

The p plate laws were rushed though quickly by politicians that have no idea about fixing an issue.

They just needed to be seen as doing something at the time.

Unfortunately, that is how aussie politicians work...

minirobbie
Post #123

ok after many phone calls and lengthy convos with transport in fortitude valley, it appears that you can fit an engine to a vehicle that was an option at the time of manufacture. ie a 202 vb commodore can have a 308 in it without a mod plate , BUT if you put a 304 efi v8 from a vl or later in it you DO need a mod plate. ie if it was available in the vehicles year of manufacture then it is ok without a mod plate , but if it is not from the same year then it does, an i have corrected the person who was doing the mod plates for me and they are now refunding me quite alot of money.

mark1414
Post #124

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 10 2011, 01:05 PM) *
ok after many phone calls and lengthy convos with transport in fortitude valley, it appears that you can fit an engine to a vehicle that was an option at the time of manufacture. ie a 202 vb commodore can have a 308 in it without a mod plate , BUT if you put a 304 efi v8 from a vl or later in it you DO need a mod plate. ie if it was available in the vehicles year of manufacture then it is ok without a mod plate , but if it is not from the same year then it does, an i have corrected the person who was doing the mod plates for me and they are now refunding me quite alot of money.

Thanks, we already knew this. :)

TwinCam16
Post #125

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 10 2011, 01:05 PM) *

Ummm I thought this was common knowledge?

minirobbie
Post #126

QUOTE (TwinCam16 @ Mar 10 2011, 01:30 PM) *
Ummm I thought this was common knowledge?

well when the person doing the plates localy tells you one thing and since they are an authorised officer , you tend to do what they say , as it is they are now under review by qld transport for possible breaches of the code
and by the looks of it will owe alot of people alot of money. me included to the tune of about 2k

mark1414
Post #127

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 10 2011, 02:44 PM) *
well when the person doing the plates localy tells you one thing and since they are an authorised officer , you tend to do what they say , as it is they are now under review by qld transport for possible breaches of the code
and by the looks of it will owe alot of people alot of money. me included to the tune of about 2k

What did you pay 2k to get mod plated? My plate was $150 or $200 for 2 codes?

minirobbie
Post #128

QUOTE (mark1414 @ Mar 10 2011, 02:51 PM) *
What did you pay 2k to get mod plated? My plate was $150 or $200 for 2 codes?

i have had about 15 plates done on cars for various reasons , mostly engine swaps that were uneccasary so yeah they are all under review now,

TwinCam16
Post #129

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 10 2011, 02:54 PM) *
i have had about 15 plates done on cars for various reasons , mostly engine swaps that were uneccasary so yeah they are all under review now,

Nice to see that we helped :)

Despite being told we had no idea :)

minirobbie
Post #130

QUOTE (TwinCam16 @ Mar 10 2011, 03:23 PM) *
Nice to see that we helped :)

Despite being told we had no idea :)

i was just going on what a person who is SUPPOSED to know had been telling me , my apologies yes you were right and i was wrong and will admit it.
i now have a very long wait to get my money back and several unhappy customers that have drilled holes in thier cars now for what it appears is no reason that will also bee seeking compensation, so yes it was your arguing that made me deterined to find out for myself !

thanks

TwinCam16
Post #131

So curiosity, is it DOT that is chasing it up or do you have to chase it yourself?

minirobbie
Post #132

QUOTE (TwinCam16 @ Mar 10 2011, 04:00 PM) *
So curiosity, is it DOT that is chasing it up or do you have to chase it yourself?

dot is investigating them , i have to wait till thats finished then i can start the recovery process for my money. so ill be waiting a while

mark1414
Post #133

QUOTE (minirobbie @ Mar 10 2011, 04:23 PM) *
dot is investigating them , i have to wait till thats finished then i can start the recovery process for my money. so ill be waiting a while

So we all learnt that instead of asking people that don't know: DOT, engineer, boost (not in this case!), you should just read the legislation for yourself. Its not the easiest stuff to get through but its not exactly beyond a regular persons capabilities either. Always amazing when people try and argue things like "ohh a cop told me it was legal", well its in black and white saying differently.

Not having a go at OP.

minirobbie
Post #134

^^ its cool . like i said i was wrong , but unlike some i am man enough to admit it, after reading and phoning appropriate places. now the person who is at fault is hopefully going to get what they deserve !

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 4 of 4
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x