Qld Engine Conversion Laws- Power To Weight?  

ratta tat tat
  • ratta tat tat
  • Budding User
  • Member No.: 81,376
Post #1 post 23rd February 2011 - 10:28 PM
I tried searching because I 've read it on here before but i can't be using the right search words???
Can someone please give me the power-to-weight formula for engine conversions. And an example if that's not too much to ask
iamhappy46
Post #2

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh...1jan2011_v3.pdf

Table LA1 on page 10 or 11(depending what you use to count pages etc)

If car weighs less than 800Kg, max engine capacity for non turbo is 2.4L but turbo is 2L

800Kg to 1100Kg is up to a 4.4L engine(N/A) or 3025cc for turbo depending on vehicle weight

1100Kg and above means a 2000Kg car could have a 10L engine or a turbo 6L.

ratta tat tat
Post #3

Thanks!

skyline r31025
Post #4

i just thought if you had a mod plate you could put any engine in??...... well thats something new i learnt

iamhappy46
Post #5

QUOTE (skyline r31025 @ Feb 25 2011, 10:20 PM) *
i just thought if you had a mod plate you could put any engine in??...... well thats something new i learnt

Definitely has never been the case. Most common example is a 13B turbo into a R100 etc. Closest to the limit I have ever seen is the 800Kg 1974 LB Lancer with a 4G63B turbo engine...

NURVUS
Post #6

The national code is not used in QLD.
Page 31 - http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/b3ea8c53...sreductions.pdf

ratta tat tat
Post #7

QUOTE (NURVUS @ Feb 26 2011, 12:57 AM) *
The national code is not used in QLD.
Page 31 - http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/b3ea8c53...sreductions.pdf

What are you saying? That these rules don't apply?

I had been hoping to put a 2.7L hilux motor into a 750kg sedan. Is there ways around it? How do hot rodders get their cars mod plated for big V8's?

NURVUS
Post #8

Page 31 of that link is the QLD law. iamhappy46 has posted the national laws that QLD don't currently use.

Being a 750kg car, I assume the largest factory fitted engine was a 4 cylinder, so the largest non turbo engine you can legally fit is 2.25ltr. (750kg x 3). 

From memory hot rods have different laws, but a lot of the bigger V8s are not mod plated, or mod plated as smaller engines.

iamhappy46
Post #9

Hot Rodders 'used' to get away with it by classing the vehicle as an Individually Constructed Vehicle(ICV) but the loop hole has since closed

It is illegal to fit the 2.7L to any 750Kg(or sub 900Kg) car. Anyone doing a Mod Plate to certify your car legal would be risking his accreditation with Qld Transport, so unlikely you could register it.

the_random_hero
Post #10

NCOP is -apparently- coming out in June/July - then again they've been saying that for years though.

iamhappy46
Post #11

Ruling for a 750Kg car would still be the same though

ratta tat tat
Post #12

*Edit TARE is 800kg on rego cert. So if using schedule B 'safety upgrade' it's a maximum 2.4L NA or 2.0L turbo

gutless
Post #13

QUOTE (ratta tat tat @ Apr 3 2011, 02:30 AM) *
Where do the RTA get official vehicle weights from? Because different google searches give different figures.

from the actual information from the manufacturer, not a random google search :headwall:

iamhappy46
Post #14

The vehicle weight is not what it weighs on a set of scales with a full tank of fuel... it is the weight listed on the bottom of your RTA paperwork. ie my N14 Pulsar is 1100Kg which makes the VQ35 conversion legal

Googling or even carsales.com.au weight listings do not count.

ratta tat tat
Post #15

QUOTE (gutless @ Apr 3 2011, 04:33 AM) *
from the actual information from the manufacturer, not a random google search head_wall.gif

Are you stating that official manufacturer weights cannot be found with google? I beg to differ.

As kindly pointed out by iamhappy46, the weight to go by is on my rego cert, Thanks

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x