Jump to page
Mounfield Racing
  • Mounfield Racing
  • Ralph Mounfield
  • Contributing Member!
  • Member No.: 58,261
Post #1 post 4th August 2010 - 06:05 PM
Just wondering !!!!!!

I was recently accused of exceeding the speed limit after being tagged by an Officer on Camera Duty while working in conjunction with an RBT operation.

As I was driving down a hill in a line of traffic (not heavy but continuous) approaching the RBT (which was clearly visible from around 500 metres due to High Vis Vest and witches hats etc etc) I noticed the camera operator walking forward and across the road to the median/centre line strip simultaneously pointing the camera on the line of traffic.

To my surprise (driving the Bright Green Boss 290 ute towing a race car on trailer) I was chosen as a prime candidate and as soon as I approached the RBT line was pulled aside and told by the camera operator that after i had been tested to pull to the side and wait for him to write me a ticket for doing 77 kph. He also asked if I was aware how fast I was driving when he clocked me at 77, which in his defense was shown on the radar gun. As a response, i said I had no idea how fast I was driving as I have no idea where or when you apparently clocked a car doing 77 in this 60 zone, but Common sense told me that I could not have been driving faster than the car in front and obviously no slower than the vehicle behind me.

Naturally he was hell bent on falsely booking me and I now have a $200 fine and possible loss of 3 points.

Is there any advice on how you can fight a false booking given nether the car before me or the one behind me were also targeted. Is it not possible the 77 reading on his equipment was in fact a previous speed locked in from a previous booking. I understand it is not law that they clock your actual speed just that they can show you were speeding. How can you possibly not hit the car in front if you're allegedly traveling 17 km faster than their speed. In addition the trailer has over-ride brakes which in fact slow the tow car when the coupling is loaded on a decline NOT make the tow car accelerate. To rub salt into the wound, the Officer asked me if my 10 month old performance car was in-fact roadworthy. Impolite to write my response to that line of questioning.
Sharpy
Post #2

I'm sorry I can't help, but once you have an answer I would love to hear your impolite response to that line of questioning lol

EAT26
Post #3

QUOTE (Sharpy @ Aug 4 2010, 06:09 PM) *
I'm sorry I can't help, but once you have an answer I would love to hear your impolite response to that line of questioning lol

+1 lol

alpharx7
Post #4

you had no idea what speed you were travelling at, however you were travelling at the same speed as all the other motorists around you. guess that means you were all speeding. its not a defence to say well why weren't all the other people booked etc. take it on the chin and don't be a knob.

fudge1987
Post #5

same shit happened to me. i was apparently doing 101 in a 60 zone, but the cop was in his red task force car. the zone i was in was actually 80, and there was a car in front and behind me too, and we were all travelling downwards towards a dip. he chased me up about 2 ks later to book me. on the ticket should be an address for the traffic infringement centre. i wrote a 7 page report with video footage burnt onto a disk i had recorded, of no sign saying 60, i also took footage of the massive downward angle of the road and the visiblity of seeing through the trees over the hill. i said in the report as the police officer had taken so long to get to me, i would like video footage of him not driving out onto some highway to get 101 then getting back to me. i also requested the last calibration of his detecor, and also mentioned the actual car speed of a commodore sedan at an ellegid 100kph.

the fine was waived but i did get request for a road worthy cert in the mail some days later.

the fact that this douche was walking while gunning you is a variable. im pretty sure it states in some legislation somewhere you have to be stationary with a handheld detector. and also the targeted has to be a certain distance from other cars. AND that downward slope would def have something to do with it. oh and you have to be travelling at the same speed for 3 complete seconds for them to get you on it... so if you think about it, if the car in front of you is going 60, and your doing 17kph faster than it, for 3 seconds, surely you would smash into him. theres a few things that id put in my report... good luck with it smile.gif

Mounfield Racing
Post #6

QUOTE (alpharx7 @ Aug 4 2010, 06:56 PM) *
you had no idea what speed you were travelling at, however you were travelling at the same speed as all the other motorists around you. guess that means you were all speeding. its not a defence to say well why weren't all the other people booked etc. take it on the chin and don't be a knob.

No, the officer clearly believed the other motorist were not speeding it's not my position to comment on that situation.

I was in-fact asked what speed I was doing prior to him locking in 77. What i was stating was the fact I could not give an accurate statement on what speed I was doing at the time the Officer clocked who ever it was that was doing 77 when he locked the gun at 77, as I had no idea where that happened or when. But given we were in a 60 zone and i had not collided with the car in front its surely was not me that he got the 77 reading on. Normally you check your speed on a change of speed sign or at intervals, rarely in a line of traffic approaching an RBT and speed camera unless you consciously believe you are speeding. If I had been doing 77 as suggested, it would necessitate a nose dive from the tow vehicle and the tyres on the braked axle of the trailer would have been belching tyre smoke as I slewed into the RBT. That would have attracted another fine, but at least it could be proven without doubt that it was my vehicle.

tuff33
Post #7

take it to court if ur not guilty

DAN-O
Post #8

Sadly your last name is going to get you hung every time and you would be presumed guilty even if you were walking..

Say hi to Phil for me.

Mounfield Racing
Post #9

QUOTE (DAN-O @ Aug 4 2010, 07:48 PM) *
Sadly your last name is going to get you hung every time and you would be presumed guilty even if you were walking..

Say hi to Phil for me.

LOL Totally agree, but who can tell, maybe having a Mounfield surname will work for me when i challenge this false claim. To be honest we always cop tickets on the chin, unless its absolute nonsense. Must say it was gold the look on the officers face when he approached the window and realized he had in-fact not tagged a "YOUNG HOON" in a performance car that was easily intimidated.

nodrog
Post #10

Ralph

I believe, and am happy to be corrected, that the operating instructions for the radar units used in Qld require the operator to be stationary, and preferably using a static object as a resting point.

When questioned about your speed you response should have been along the line of less than the speed limit and that you were not prepared to look at the speedo in the circumstances where the RBT, flashing lights etc could result in the preceding car braking excessively causing you to run into the back of it.

If I were you I would take the matter to court and explain the situation to the Magistrate, and try your luck, or otherwise just cop the fine and points.

Mounfield Racing
Post #11

QUOTE (nodrog @ Aug 4 2010, 08:10 PM) *
Ralph

I believe, and am happy to be corrected, that the operating instructions for the radar units used in Qld require the operator to be stationary, and preferably using a static object as a resting point.

When questioned about your speed you response should have been along the line of less than the speed limit and that you were not prepared to look at the speedo in the circumstances where the RBT, flashing lights etc could result in the preceding car braking excessively causing you to run into the back of it.

If I were you I would take the matter to court and explain the situation to the Magistrate, and try your luck, or otherwise just cop the fine and points.

Had I been asked what speed I was doing down the hill i more than likely would have said that i was within the limits of 58 - 62 given the trailer brakes were operating as a result of the decline there is a margin of variation in speed. However I was not asked that question I was simply told to proceed through the RBT and await a speeding ticket while he targeted other vehicles. Therefore denying the right to defend my case. Its not about the money or the demerit points, the fact is if I pay the fine it's an admission of guilt, and that's purging myself.

khubner
Post #12

i thought you could'nt be tagged on the decline of a slope or for 100m after the decline of a slope

Mounfield Racing
Post #13

QUOTE (khubner @ Aug 4 2010, 11:59 PM) *
i thought you could'nt be tagged on the decline of a slope or for 100m after the decline of a slope

I thought you could not be falsely accused if you were or within the limit regardless of decline, traffic congestion, type of vehicle or age of driver but it appears I was mistaken. In addition, upon an inspection of my car while awaiting the officer to return and issue a ticket, I was unable to identify a paint ball marking or any other form of identifying marks which could be used to reassure the officer he was in-fact targeting the correct vehicle. I am not suggesting there is any such directive issued to Officers, but it seems to me there is an assumption by some, that Performance Cars cannot be driven in a responsible manner and drivers of such cars should be discouraged from driving them at any cost.

khubner
Post #14

i would have thought the stand out like dogs nuts colour and big ass trailor on the back would be identifing enough. speed guns are scoped with a digital hud to target a car they need to be steadily fixed upon the vehicle as stated above for a period of time during this time the hud shows the targeted vehicle with a red box or similar i doubt you could argue they got the wrong car since they would have been looking at your quite distinctive car for a period of time

Mounfield Racing
Post #15

QUOTE (alpharx7 @ Aug 4 2010, 06:56 PM) *

I understand fully that history repeatedly shows he who lies the best, has the best result in a court when it comes to traffic offenses. Given this fact I will surely loose in court as a the Police Officers word will be considered above and beyond that of me as the accused driver. However taking it on the chin is an admission of guilt and I would be purging if I paid the fine so I'd rather be a knob.

Mounfield Racing
Post #16

QUOTE (tuff33 @ Aug 4 2010, 07:48 PM) *
take it to court if ur not guilty

That is without a doubt my plan, but once the ticket is issued you are deemed guilty as charged and there is little hope of having it waved. For 35 + years of driving on a never suspended HC License I believed if you behaved on the road you could not be penalized. Not any more, you are now guilty until proven innocent which is unlikely unless a priest or a magistrate was riding with you as passenger at the time.

nodrog
Post #17

Ralph

I still think that if you honestly believe you could not possibly have been speeding, and that the policeman got it wrong take it to Court. It is your legal right to defend yourself, and you are not guilty until such time as you pay the fine or the Magistrate says so.

There are these things called Stat Decs that are taken under oath that have some sway with the Police management. It might be a chance for you to do a stat dec and present a letter to the Police Comm before the Court date, and have the fine waived.

As a JP I am happy to help if necessary.

Gordon

12dat
Post #18

a similar thing happened to me, travelling down gympie road in a modified car in a pack of 8 odd cars all travelling the same speed at the speed limit and i was singled out and being the 3rd car back there was no way they could have got the radar on my car for long enough and besides the point we all were not speeding, the officer insisted i was speeding 12kph over to be exact, i was polite in saying there was no way i could have been speeding and the radar must be incorrect,never the less i got a ticket.....
i was rather angry with the out come so i wrote a 3 page letter the next day stating the situation, everything that happened and what was said between the officer and myself and pled my innocence and got it all signed by a JP. then i sent it to the head officer at the station the ticket was issued from.
i got a letter in the mail saying my case was being investigated and not to pay the fine till further notice.
about 3 weeks later another letter saying the fine has been cleared and the officer that issued the ticket is being dealt with about this matter..
Good Luck hope ur problem gets fixed !!

Mr bEn
Post #19

QUOTE (Mounfield Racing @ Aug 5 2010, 10:27 AM) *
I would be purging if I paid the fine

Purging yourself of what?

ps: this thread is full of loss

jon giessler
Post #20

If I was you I would look at this site

http://www.speedingfineconsultants.com/

and have a chat to Scott Cooper.
I think he should be able to help you

Mounfield Racing
Post #21

QUOTE (jon giessler @ Aug 5 2010, 08:13 PM) *
If I was you I would look at this site

http://www.speedingfineconsultants.com/

and have a chat to Scott Cooper.
I think he should be able to help you

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I actually know Scott personally, but think there is sufficient basis to have a magistrate question the validity of my fine without engaging a 3rd party. I base this on the fact the officer acknowledged the motorist I was following, and the one behind me were within the legal speed limit and the fact the Officers eyes were very glazed while issuing the ticket (Flu like symptoms) which would without doubt impair his vision and make it difficult to ascertain accurately where he was actually pointing the camera and give clarity as to why the incorrect birth date taken off my license has been put on the ticket he issued along with the incorrect street name, which he had to change and then initial at the scene.

Parag0n
Post #22

As soon as you said you had no idea it looks bad.

If you really plan on fighting a speeding charge admit nothing, when they say you were doing xx speed in xx zone you don't have to respond.

I'm not saying you shouldn't co-operate, but you don't have to give the cops as many libertys as they deserve

Mounfield Racing
Post #23

I understand and accept that Hand Held Radar Guns are accurate to a tee, if used in an appropriate manner in an appropriate environment.
Can any one tell me how it is proven without doubt that the reading came from a specific vehicle in a multiple carriage way where more than a few vehicles are in the probable line of site. Unlike Camera operations where there is evidence by way of a photo, or the patrol car actually followed you with lights ablaze and clearly visible in your mirror to allay 99% of the doubt as to who was actually targeted for exceeding the speed limit. Mobile units have no signs to allay doubt, no bar code or paint ball mark is left on the specific vehicle and therefore cannot be proven with any degree of accuracy.

Comments Please.

rot8me
Post #24

i have wondered about this but they will just deny any claims that you were in the right.

khubner
Post #25

so you'd rather the cop fire a paint ball at you car and deface your vehicle to prove you were the one they want. no thanks i do think they should have a sort of digital camera built in speed locked tempory photo of vehicle.

you forget that the police are not under any obbligation to even show you the gun with your accused speed.

Mounfield Racing
Post #26

QUOTE (khubner @ Aug 12 2010, 10:26 AM) *
so you'd rather the cop fire a paint ball at you car and deface your vehicle to prove you were the one they want. no thanks i do think they should have a sort of digital camera built in speed locked tempory photo of vehicle.

you forget that the police are not under any obbligation to even show you the gun with your accused speed.

Not saying id like a paint ball fired at my car, but at least in that case I could make a claim against my insurance to have it repaired. I would not be penalized by my insurance because I took the easy way out and paid the money and sacrificed demerit points for an bogus and unsubstantiated traffic fine.

warney
Post #27

are you fucking retarded, hope you get done doing 150 in a 60 zone, now you have to prove that you werent !

I gotta do more work, back soon to give more abuse!

70NKY
Post #28

The QPS use two models of the LTI 20-20 lidar unit; the UL and UX models. It uses laser light and it is not like radar.

Basically in the scope, there is a red sighting dot, much like you would find in any sort of scope. The operator targets your vehicle with the red dot and it's you're car they are getting a reading from.

How they know they are targeting your cat when the red dot is on your car; tests are conducted at the start and end of shift to ensure that the fired beams of light are aligned with the red dot in scope. That way the car the red dot is on, is the car whose speed is being recorded.

The lidar unit sends or a very narrow beam of light. The UX unit has a range of 1000 metres, and at 1000m, the beam is 3 metres wide, the same as the width of a road lane. So that's how they know which car they are targetting.

rot8me
Post #29

QUOTE (70NKY @ Aug 12 2010, 12:21 PM) *
How they know they are targeting your cat when the red dot is on your car; tests are conducted at the start and end of shift to ensure that the fired beams of light are aligned with the red dot in scope. That way the car the red dot is on, is the car whose speed is being recorded.

I HIGHLY doubt they conduct such test they dont give a shit, they say they do but they wouldnt.
thats like you telling me that you check you revs every time you change gear.

But the red dot thing seem right.

khubner
Post #30

Not saying id like a paint ball fired at my car, but at least in that case I could make a claim against my insurance to have it repaired. I would not be penalized by my insurance because I took the easy way out and paid the money and sacrificed demerit points for an bogus and unsubstantiated traffic fine.

ok what if it hits the windscreen and obstructs your veiw (it's not done for safety reasons)

hope you get done doing 150 in a 60 zone, now you have to prove that you werent !

my car is quite distinctive there a code of conduct and ethics commssion inplace for this very reason. that and im not that fucking stupid been driving 6 years now and have a 100% perfect driving record no offences recorded. which is more than i can say for some.

thanks 70nky what people dont realise is when they use these guns they are looking at your car the entire time they are getting a reading. it's not like they firing blindly from the hip. while i know theres cops out there i should trust as far as i can throw them all my previous experiences have been quite pleasant. bar maybe one occurance which involves them knocking on my door and acusing me of being a hoon earlier that day when the car i was supposedly driving hadn't even moved that day or that week for that matter.

70NKY
Post #31

QUOTE (rot8me @ Aug 12 2010, 12:38 PM) *
I HIGHLY doubt they conduct such test they dont give a shit, they say they do but they wouldnt.
thats like you telling me that you check you revs every time you change gear.

But the red dot thing seem right.

The red dot thing IS right smile.gif

Police are required to use these devices in accordance with Australian Standards. The AS REQUIRE these tests to be conducted prior to using the lidar unit to ensure it is working properly. The Australian Standards outline 5 tests, the QPS use 6.

Mounfield Racing
Post #32

QUOTE (70NKY @ Aug 12 2010, 01:13 PM) *
The red dot thing IS right smile.gif

Police are required to use these devices in accordance with Australian Standards. The AS REQUIRE these tests to be conducted prior to using the lidar unit to ensure it is working properly. The Australian Standards outline 5 tests, the QPS use 6.

Points taken from all above. As for the goose that's been driving for 6 years, I have had a HC Class license for 38 years which has never been suspended. I have also more than likely driven more kilometers than you have done pisses.Thanks for your wealth of knowledge and experience you clown. As for testing prior to operation, I dont doubt that instruction is followed prior to every change of shift. Guess it was operator error in a questionable environment in this case.

clutch-monkey
Post #33

what.

Mounfield Racing
Post #34

QUOTE (clutch-monkey @ Aug 12 2010, 01:49 PM) *
what.

It's a brand new Boss 290 ute (Police attention seeker "Hoons Car" in their eyes) but easily replaced within 2 - 3 days at any dealership, points on the other hand take 3 years to recover.

clutch-monkey
Post #35

QUOTE (Mounfield Racing @ Aug 12 2010, 02:08 PM) *
It's a brand new Boss 290 ute (Police attention seeker "Hoons Car" in their eyes) but easily replaced within 2 - 3 days at any dealership, points on the other hand take 3 years to recover.

no i mean what. as in where the fuck did that shit about paintball marking come from

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 3
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x