For All The Pt's Out There - I have a question for you  

the_random_hero
  • the_random_hero
  • IT'S RAINING SIDEWAYS!
  • Contributing Member!
  • Member No.: 113,268
Post #1 post 27th July 2010 - 04:39 PM
Hey guys, want to look into getting some PT certification. Since I've taken training up it's something I've really enjoyed (a lot more than I thought I would), and I really enjoy helping other people work towards their goals.
For those of you that have some sort of PT certification, who did you go through? There seems to be a dickload of training places out there, but I have no idea which are 'real' courses and which are just shit that places such as Fitness First would put you through that have no real benefits.
It's something I would have to do part time as I can't really afford to go back to working part time.
Cheers.
gsmall
Post #2

Alright...

Your are corect in saying there a millions of course providers - which means..... there are plenty of different standards...

If you want to help someone properly/safely/and well educated you need to study and practice what you will preach in my mind - no less than a 2 year course.

I feel disgusted to work in both Australia and the UK where people can obtain 'Certification' and i use the word loosely a qualification in 3/4months, I personally dont hire any one who has done training at any of those types of 'education' providers.

Human Movement, Sports science, Nutrition, Biomechanics, Postural assesment, are all subjects or courses that weigh heighly in my books - not only the facts and the ability to deciefer what is actually happening in someones body will allow you to gauge what your client needs but you'll also be able to put in into practice....

Before i get the billions of response saying i've done a YMCA course or fitnation or any other corresponding courses these are the facts - you cant learn properly how to deal with anyone in 4months - Cert III and IV that are offered through a TAFE or college like a TAFE seem to have a better course outline - I should know, I help put it together.... rolleyes.gif

I'm a very strong believer in continued education and the CEC or REPS scheme that both AUS and UK employ - but for a basis of knowledge and business management in the health sector - I would invest the time properly and get the proper and more well recognised qual...

Feel free to shoot any questions..

mkerr
Post #3

QUOTE (gsmall @ Jul 27 2010, 08:45 PM) *
Alright...

Your are corect in saying there a millions of course providers - which means..... there are plenty of different standards...

If you want to help someone properly/safely/and well educated you need to study and practice what you will preach in my mind - no less than a 2 year course.

I feel disgusted to work in both Australia and the UK where people can obtain 'Certification' and i use the word loosely a qualification in 3/4months, I personally dont hire any one who has done training at any of those types of 'education' providers.

Human Movement, Sports science, Nutrition, Biomechanics, Postural assesment, are all subjects or courses that weigh heighly in my books - not only the facts and the ability to deciefer what is actually happening in someones body will allow you to gauge what your client needs but you'll also be able to put in into practice....

Before i get the billions of response saying i've done a YMCA course or fitnation or any other corresponding courses these are the facts - you cant learn properly how to deal with anyone in 4months - Cert III and IV that are offered through a TAFE or college like a TAFE seem to have a better course outline - I should know, I help put it together.... rolleyes.gif

I'm a very strong believer in continued education and the CEC or REPS scheme that both AUS and UK employ - but for a basis of knowledge and business management in the health sector - I would invest the time properly and get the proper and more well recognised qual...

out of interest, what's the job opportunities like out there?
pay decent?
hours?
etc.

gsmall
Post #4

Job opportunities in UK?
I run a clinic that has multi modalities working under the company name of the HPU - osteo's,physio's,sports docs,performance coaches, nutrionalist and pre and post natal..

If you work in mainstream gym - they run very similar to a fitness first scheme. so your given 40hrs at about £5/6 and hour and you have to create your own market/business - then generally the franchise will sell your personal training sessions and you'll recieve about £15-25 an hour.... hence much better going at it alone..

hours starting hours will be varied on a roster basis... if you align yourself with a smaller studio much better pay and working conditions...

wolfman101
Post #5

Do NOT
go through the AIF (Australian Institute of Fitness).
What a joke.

truffles
Post #6

gsmall is entirely correct. I am digusted with the level of education given to 'certified' personal trainers currently in Australia. I've heard all kinds of storiesabout these so called "education" providers and I've come to the conclusion that some of the poorest examples teach students the names and functions of gym equipment and how to write a generic training program and send them on their way. Funnily enough, I've heard of students not completing half the work and still passing.

I'm currently studying my undergraduate degree in exercise physiology. I feel a lot of what I study should be compulsory in certification for fitness. I wouldn't mind working as a personal trainer, although since I intend to undertake postgraduate and masters degree study, it would most certainly be overkill.

the_random_hero
Post #7

QUOTE (gsmall @ Jul 27 2010, 08:45 PM) *
Alright...

Thanks HEAPS for the reply, exactly the sort of information I was after smile.gif I was looking at getting a Cert. IV to begin with (not the 3 week courses, fuck that), I already have a few people who are interested in doing some 1hr sessions for cash so that could possibly tie me over if I went back to part-time work. I have a few friends that are currently completing/have completed uni-level degrees so if it's something I want to continue with, that would be my goal.
I have a lot of interest in nutrition as much as I do in the fitness side of things, so that's also another path I could take in the future.

wolfman101
Post #8

QUOTE (the_random_hero @ Jul 27 2010, 04:39 PM) *
Hey guys, want to look into getting some PT certification. Since I've taken training up it's something I've really enjoyed (a lot more than I thought I would), and I really enjoy helping other people work towards their goals.
For those of you that have some sort of PT certification, who did you go through? There seems to be a dickload of training places out there, but I have no idea which are 'real' courses and which are just shit that places such as Fitness First would put you through that have no real benefits.
It's something I would have to do part time as I can't really afford to go back to working part time.
Cheers.

Where do you train people?
It is usually strictly against a gym's legal and safety policies to let unlicensed people accept money to train on their premises.

QUOTE (gsmall @ Jul 27 2010, 11:27 PM) *
Job opportunities in UK?
I run a clinic that has multi modalities working under the company name of the HPU - osteo's,physio's,sports docs,performance coaches, nutrionalist and pre and post natal..

If you work in mainstream gym - they run very similar to a fitness first scheme. so your given 40hrs at about £5/6 and hour and you have to create your own market/business - then generally the franchise will sell your personal training sessions and you'll recieve about £15-25 an hour.... hence much better going at it alone..

hours starting hours will be varied on a roster basis... if you align yourself with a smaller studio much better pay and working conditions...

Not correct at all.
Fitness First don't "send" you anywhere. They accept you after you have got your qualifications at the institution of your choosing.
You are also wrong on the pay structure. A FF trainer receives NO salary after the first 3 months (build-up/green-shirt period), and in fact pays around $1200 a month to the gym. They can work as many hours as they want, at whatever times they want.

El Freako
Post #9

I'm going to agree with a few points already made here...

There are a shiteload of course providers of varying quality. TAFE offers what is probably the best and most extensive but it is also the longest and most expensive. Do not go to AIF. We had a few PTs come to us from there who didn't even know how to write the most basic program, however the PT who excelled the most at sales came through them. They are all about selling PT, but give you little in regards to basic exercise and physiology knowledge. To be honest I learnt more in my first 3 months of working as a PT than I did in doing the actual certification.

Wolfman is correct in his description of the FF pay structure, it is very much the same at Goodlife also (since Goodlife was started by ex-FF employees) but they charge the PT less in rent. FF are fuckwits to work for, its all about the buck for them. If you score a job at a smaller PT studio you will be treated better and have to spend less time on sales as they feed the clients to you. Running your own solo business is a possibility to but costs you a bit in start-up and you have to put a lot of effort into client maintenance and promotion.

There is also now a Diploma of Fitness available which is the next step up from the Cert IV. This is tertiary certified so you can then use it to get into a Human Movement or Exercise Science degree if you wish to go further.

neil_se
Post #10

You can do a short course and become 'certified', yet I've got a Bach. of Exercise Science and a Bach. of Physiotherapy and I'm not 'certified'. How crazy is that.

gsmall
Post #11

Are you not put on a base salary for your first 3 months and then month 4 they drop your 'gym supervison' hours?

I know for a fact that in the UK - Virgin active, David Lloyd and Fitness first work on a drop down scaling system - month 1 40paid gym supervision hours, month 2 35paid gym supervision hours and your expected to pick up 5hrs pt.. and so on until you are a 40hr pt????

I was under the impression that Australia fitness firsts ran a similar procedure - and yes remember you pay rent... or do they work it such that first 3months are rent free and then the percentage of rent you pay increases until you hit their max rent rate

wolfman101
Post #12

Correct.
First month rent free, but you have to do X number of hours free for the gym, month 2 less hours but some rent, month 3 less hours again but almost full rent, then full rent and no hours.

the_random_hero
Post #13

QUOTE (wolfman101 @ Jul 28 2010, 09:40 AM) *
Where do you train people?
It is usually strictly against a gym's legal and safety policies to let unlicensed people accept money to train on their premises.

Training myself, not other people. I have been helping a few people out with some stuff (running, some basic lifting technique, holding pads, etc) which I would never ask money for.

B Unit
Post #14

QUOTE (neil_se @ Jul 28 2010, 01:30 PM) *
You can do a short course and become 'certified', yet I've got a Bach. of Exercise Science and a Bach. of Physiotherapy and I'm not 'certified'. How crazy is that.

It's because someone like AIF has screwed money out of you yet, it's compulsory mamoru.gif

Check out the Tafe courses dude, Southbank and the one at Yeronga both run them from memory. I used to know Jason Sugars who was running the whole program at Yeronga Tafe. Not sure if he is still there or not. They are longer to do, but more comprehensive and you will learn more than just how to talk people into becoming your customer.

the_random_hero
Post #15

QUOTE (B Unit @ Jul 28 2010, 09:20 PM) *
It's because someone like AIF has screwed money out of you yet, it's compulsory mamoru.gif

Check out the Tafe courses dude, Southbank and the one at Yeronga both run them from memory. I used to know Jason Sugars who was running the whole program at Yeronga Tafe. Not sure if he is still there or not. They are longer to do, but more comprehensive and you will learn more than just how to talk people into becoming your customer.

I actually used to do Elec. Engineering @ Yeronga, played soccer with and was mates with a few of the guys who were doing the main personal training there. Should try and get into contact when them again, I'll give the TAFE a call tomorrow.
My gym has some sort of advertising deal going with FIT, anybody heard/had experience with them?

benrok
Post #16

did my cert 3 and 4 through tafe.....got a new pt in at work a few weeks ago...asked me how to do skinfolds.... head_wall.gif

gsmall
Post #17

^^ do you happen to know if Glenn Chipperfield is still with TAFE QLD??

benrok
Post #18

yea he was at southbank when i was there and just heard he aint there currently....pretty cool bloke, apparently he started up the healthworks gym chain....

gsmall
Post #19

yeah couldn't agree more had the chance to work with him for about a year - amazingly inspirational and very business savy... knows how to get people what they want...

r33_chik
Post #20

i did my cert iv through the AIF and thought i new what i was doing until i went to uni and did sports science....i have worked at a few different places and at the moment i work at fitness first (not as a pt, im changing directions)..i was impressed with the support that the trainers get when they come to FF, they get taught alot by the more experienced guys about postural analysis and advanced techniques and programing...i really wanted to go sit in on what they were being shown but as i said im in a different role and had n right

supra35
Post #21

Fitness Institute of Australia(not to be confused with AIF) seems to have a pretty good reputation.

http://www.fia.com.au/

ando23
Post #22

HPC is the best GT is the teacher there he has been MR australia 5 yrs in a row kylie works their has been miss aus and ryan is olympic swimmer. the titans boys such as anthony, scotty prince etc have been threw HPC and recomend it so go to Human Performance Center also go to any gym and ask what personal trainers from what colleges know the most any good gym such as world gym will tell you HPC student

truffles
Post #23

QUOTE (ando23 @ Aug 3 2010, 03:49 PM) *
HPC is the best GT is the teacher there he has been MR australia 5 yrs in a row kylie works their has been miss aus and ryan is olympic swimmer. the titans boys such as anthony, scotty prince etc have been threw HPC and recomend it so go to Human Performance Center also go to any gym and ask what personal trainers from what colleges know the most any good gym such as world gym will tell you HPC student

Engrish?

the_random_hero
Post #24

Just got an email back from FIT, seems like the normal sorta spiel that I was hoping I wouldn't hear.
TAFE it is.

truffles
Post #25

QUOTE (the_random_hero @ Aug 4 2010, 04:51 PM) *
Just got an email back from FIT, seems like the normal sorta spiel that I was hoping I wouldn't hear.
TAFE it is.

Good choice. I'd invite you to come study exercise science and physiology with me but you know.

neil_se
Post #26

Where at truffles, I did my exercise science/physiotherapy at Griffith Gold Coast. Those were the days...

B Unit
Post #27

I still remember doing my Fitness Leader Course at Southbank Tafe about 14 years ago. One of the girls was super pretty but dumb as dog shit, so she just slept with the teacher to get a pass, keep that in mind laugh.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x