Legality Of Not Having Spare Wheel  

Page 3 of 3
Jump to page
b.t.h
Post #71

QUOTE (johnjohnmulley @ Jun 21 2010, 10:09 PM) *
I kinda thought the same would go for a spare tyre, who cares if i get stranded in the middle of no where, thats my problem.

Thanks again smile.gif Can close this thread now.

I guess it'd be a safety issue, if you got stuck on the highway with a flat.. they would rather you change the tyre then have to call a towie. Sooner your off the side of the road, the better.

patrol1oz
Post #72

Thanks xxxxgold and patrol1oz
I'm the Original poster. I kinda really didn't expect to see 3 pages already, actually didnt expect to see any replies yet....
I really only wanted people to comment who actually knew what they were talking about (like you two) as now there are 3 pages of *info* and "friends friends got defected" bla bla.
Thanks a lot for the tips, and for the legislation link, I've been searching everywhere for something like that.

Also, on another note, I got defected for no muffler. Now I couldn't find anywhere in the other codes that it says "you must have a muffler" but I rang the inspection station and spoke to the guy who will be inspecting my car, or one of his colleages, and he said "mate its like walking, we don't tell you to put your left foot first then your right, its just common knowledge. So of course you need a muffler". I said what if the car is under the limit and thats what he replied with. I kinda thought the same would go for a spare tyre, who cares if i get stranded in the middle of no where, thats my problem.

did you have a pipe comming right to the rear of the car or was it cut off under the car?

khubner
Post #73

when it comes to exhaust i think the earliest exit point must be 100mm away from the rear windsheild

johnjohnmulley
Post #74

the rule is a certain mm behind the continuously welded section of floor pan. It's in the code posted above.
No my exhaust exited near the diff, but thats beside the point, I KNOW thats defective, but assume it exited behind the rear bar in a legal "area". Anyway check the other thread, I asked in there.

Cheers.

xxxxgold
Post #75

Also, on another note, I got defected for no muffler. Now I couldn't find anywhere in the other codes that it says "you must have a muffler" but I rang the inspection station and spoke to the guy who will be inspecting my car, or one of his colleages, and he said "mate its like walking, we don't tell you to put your left foot first then your right, its just common knowledge. So of course you need a muffler". I said what if the car is under the limit and thats what he replied with. I kinda thought the same would go for a spare tyre, who cares if i get stranded in the middle of no where, thats my problem.

No muffler is certainly a 'valid' defect. As per the above (linked) legislation -

A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must be fitted with a silencing device through which all the exhaust from the engine passes.

patrol1oz
Post #76

QUOTE (khubner @ Jun 21 2010, 10:16 PM) *
when it comes to exhaust i think the earliest exit point must be 100mm away from the rear windsheild

the exhaust out let must extend at least 40mm beyound the furthermost or rear most joint in the floor pan which is not sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passanger compartment.

mufflers need to be fitted if exhaust is too loud

as a ais i dont need to do a db reading but if i think its too loud i can fail it, you can go get a reading from a exhaust shop and bring it back if its under the limit i can pass it.

i cant see anywhere it says you need a muffler but i would say it would be too loud with out one.

patrol1oz
Post #77

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Regis...es_of_practice/

this is the current info from qt..

i think the other link posted earlia was a old copy

GHOSTY
Post #78

QUOTE (b.t.h @ Jun 21 2010, 10:14 PM) *
I guess it'd be a safety issue, if you got stuck on the highway with a flat.. they would rather you change the tyre then have to call a towie. Sooner your off the side of the road, the better.

That's the thing though, 50% of the population (women), can't change their own wheels anyway, so RACQ has to get called out regardless.

patrol1oz
Post #79

QUOTE (GHOSTY @ Jun 21 2010, 10:37 PM) *
That's the thing though, 50% of the population (women), can't change their own wheels anyway, so RACQ has to get called out regardless.

i think it sould be part of the driving test to be able to change a tyre. check the oil, water and put wind in the tyres.

GHOSTY
Post #80

QUOTE (patrol1oz @ Jun 21 2010, 10:45 PM) *
i think it sould be part of the driving test to be able to change a tyre. check the oil, water and put wind in the tyres.

I manage two unit complexes near the University of Queensland, majority of our tenants are uni students. The amount of which that CANNOT change a light bulb, look both ways before crossing the road, tie their shoelaces etc, is staggering.

blkluxy73
Post #81

bloody hell thats hard luck getting a defect for that...i had a mate years ago he drove without one always,if he got stuck hed ring someone he knew had same car and they would come help him out lol...good ol days!!!

stealthmatt
Post #82

QUOTE (patrol1oz @ Jun 21 2010, 10:32 PM) *
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Regis...es_of_practice/

this is the current info from qt..

i think the other link posted earlia was a old copy

The other link posted was the legislation for road safety etc. your link is specifically for inspection stations, so naturally people should look at both. The first is what will save you from cops though. Just go to www.legislation.qld.gov.au for everything.

Wraith
Post #83

I have been defected for not having a spare wheel. 100 bucks and 1 point later. The advice I got was if it was there in the first place it has to stay there.

xxxxgold
Post #84

It's quite ridiculous that so many people have been incorrectly defected/fined (in relation to spares). I certainly don't expect police officers to memorise every single regulation/act, but it's not like this is a complex matter, they really should know better.

At least it serves as an example that police officers quite often do get it wrong, if you feel like an error has been made, do some research and stand up for yourself otherwise nothing will change.

02GZM
Post #85

QUOTE (patrol1oz @ Jun 21 2010, 10:24 PM) *
i cant see anywhere it says you need a muffler but i would say it would be too loud with out one.

It's one of those fines that cops use when they want to fine you for something, but can't seem to find much to pin you for.

From the QLD Demerit Point Schedule:
Section 9(1) - Driving a motor vehicle with a modified silencing device that is ineffective. 1 point, $60 fine.
Section 9(2) - Modifying a silencing device fitted to a motor vehicle to reduce the effectiveness of device (without an excuse). 1 point, $60 fine.

And the referred to section of the VSS Regulation:
9 Modifying silencing devices
(1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle on a road if the vehicle’s silencing device has been modified so as to reduce, or be likely to reduce, the effectiveness of the device. Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) A person must not modify a motor vehicle’s silencing device if the modification reduces, or is likely to reduce, the effectiveness of the device. Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(3) However, a person does not contravene subsection (2) if the person reasonably believes the vehicle is not to be used on
road.

So basically if you don't have a stock exhaust they can book you for it. Even it it meets the required DB rating.

Link to QLD Demerit Point Schedule.
Link to TO(RUM-VSS) Reg99.

Granthem
Post #86

I havnt read the thread but I have been told a can of puncture goo also cuts it

lke91
Post #87

what about new BMW's and Audis that have no spare tyres
cause they come stock with run flats
unless your a tyre expert you cant tell a normal tyre to a runflat.
There for you clearly dont need to have one in your car!

khubner
Post #88

so according to that legislation anybody who's exhaust is louder than standard could be open to a 2 point and $120 fine.

because theoreticly a louder exhaust has modified the muffler by either changing or removing it there for changing the silencing devices effectivness.

02GZM
Post #89

l2read...

QUOTE (02GZM @ Jun 22 2010, 11:03 AM) *
It's one of those fines that cops use when they want to fine you for something, but can't seem to find much to pin you for.

And it's at the cops discretion. So basically if you've got a modified exhaust and being a smartass (read: typical p-plater) don't be surprised if you get that defect. Plus it's normally one or the other when it comes to those 2 fines, since they're kind of redundant.

warney
Post #90

QUOTE (khubner @ Jun 22 2010, 11:36 AM) *
so according to that legislation anybody who's exhaust is louder than standard could be open to a 2 point and $120 fine.

because theoreticly a louder exhaust has modified the muffler by either changing or removing it there for changing the silencing devices effectivness.

no. You cant modify and exhaust, period, stock unit only.But i wonder if you get it mod plated, is it ok then ???

IS there a code for a modded exhaust ???

Street Tuned
Post #91

If you have some of this you dont need a spare.

If you have a spare it needs to be of a road worthy standard.

xxxxgold
Post #92

QUOTE (khubner @ Jun 22 2010, 11:36 AM) *

It's actually quite a bit more complex than what it appears at face value.

You have to pay particular attention to the wording of any particular legislative passage, in this case -

A person must not modify a motor vehicle’s silencing device if the modification reduces, or is likely to reduce, the
effectiveness of the device.

It is important to note that the regulation does not prohibit modification of other exhaust components as long as any applicable standards are adhered to. On this basis, if you modify an exhaust component (headers/cats/piping) which subsequently leads to a louder exhaust 'note', this is legal assuming all other applicable standards are adhered to, including retention of the unmodified silencing device (muffler).

xxxxgold
Post #93

QUOTE (Street Tuned @ Jun 22 2010, 12:16 PM) *
If you have a spare it needs to be of a road worthy standard.

With due respect, if you can provide me legislative evidence to back up your statement, i will donate $500 to the charity of your choice.

There is absolutely no requirement for a spare tyre/wheel to be of a 'roadworthy standard'.

warney
Post #94

QUOTE (xxxxgold @ Jun 22 2010, 12:24 PM) *
With due respect, if you can provide me legislative evidence to back up your statement, i will donate $500 to the charity of your choice.

There is absolutely no requirement for a spare tyre/wheel to be of a 'roadworthy standard'.

yet you will only spend $6.95 on me !!!!!! Tight !

02GZM
Post #95

QUOTE (warney @ Jun 22 2010, 12:11 PM) *
IS there a code for a modded exhaust ???

Not exactly.

There's LT3 - Gaseous Emissions Compliance
And LT4 - Noise Emissions Compliance

Passing these 2 with an aftermarket exhaust (or some other mods for that matter) is generally difficult. Especially LT3 as even a stock car can fail. Hence why it's easier to revert the car to stock if you ever get sent to the pits for emissions testing so it automatically passes. Plus they can always argue that you modified the exhaust after the tests were done.

xxxxgold
Post #96

QUOTE (warney @ Jun 22 2010, 12:26 PM) *
yet you will only spend $6.95 on me !!!!!! Tight !

The difference is that i know i won't have to hand over $500, i don't make offers like that unless i know i am right tongue.gif

warney
Post #97

QUOTE (02GZM @ Jun 22 2010, 12:29 PM) *
Not exactly.

There's LT3 - Gaseous Emissions Compliance
And LT4 - Noise Emissions Compliance

Passing these 2 with an aftermarket exhaust (or some other mods for that matter) is generally difficult. Especially LT3 as even a stock car can fail. Hence why it's easier to revert the car to stock if you ever get sent to the pits for emissions testing so it automatically passes. Plus they can always argue that you modified the exhaust after the tests were done.

so ultimately, your fucked if the copper wants to be an arsehole! what if ya have an engine conversuion, obviously the body typically doesnt suit the engine/box, hence a aftermarket exhaust is supplied....

What a fucker...... Thanks

warney
Post #98

QUOTE (xxxxgold @ Jun 22 2010, 12:38 PM) *
The difference is that i know i won't have to hand over $500, i don't make offers like that unless i know i am right tongue.gif

dont matter to me, ya mde it .... We arent friends any more!

lucky85
Post #99

It would be stupid for them to issue a defect for a flat or bald spare tyre as you can just argue that it was on the vehicle,got a flat and now the spare is on the car?
Where do they expect you to put the fucked tyre while your taking it to be replaced? On the back seat?

clutch-monkey
Post #100

none of my cars come with a spare except the mini, so suck my dick. can of goo + compressor ftw.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 3 of 3
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x