Wheel Selection - 180sx  

s1y180
  • s1y180
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 176,244
Post #1 post 7th June 2010 - 11:42 PM
Hi guys,

I have recently bought a 5-stud conversion (5 x 114.3) for my 180sx project car. With this conversion kit I have received R34 turbo front brakes, and R33 rear brakes.

In order to put this kit onto my car I need to get some wheels that will suit the brakes. I have been looking at getting 17 x 8s, however I am unsure of the offset I will require so that the rim does not hit the brake calipers dunno.gif .

Can anyone tell me what offset I will require to fit 17 x 8s to this conversion?

Cheers thumbsup.gif
pipster11
Post #2

you will have to modify the mounting brackets to take the r34 brakes as they use a 14mm bolt thread as opposed to nearly every other nissan that uses 12mm

i bought some 33 fronts thinking they were 34 ones (forgot to measure them when i picked them up, came with r34 disks tho) and they don't fit my car (stagea, one of the only other nissan that uses the 14mm bolts)

with wheels, the biggest thing is the amount of backspace clearance behind the spokes because the 4 pot callipers stock out further from the disk than normal brakes

offset doesn't really measure this, you just need to find some brakes that have been on an r32, r33 or r34 or anything else with 4 pot brakes really

you also need a 17 inch rim at least i think

if you'd be keen on swapping callipers send me a pm, or if you wanna know whats involved

35NIK
Post #3

17" is the smallest you can go on the front, if you want to run R34 breaks, It's more the spoke shape to the offset on what will fit.

I had a set of koya race tek 20x8.5 38+ on my R34 skyline, which is stock offset but the spoke was thicker then stock so it fouled on the caliper by 1mm so I shaved down the Nissan logo on it.

Any wheel shop in brisbane will do trial fitting to your car if they belive you got cash.

s1y180
Post #4

Thanks very much for the replies guys.
I had a feeling that it wasn't just the offset of the wheels that would help clear the brakes. I may just stick a set of stock R34 wheels on for the time being while I decide on a good set of wheels.
If you have any further suggestions please let me know.
Cheers thumbsup.gif

pipster11
Post #5

so i guess your gonna modify your mounting holes for the brakes then

your stock brake bolts will have a 12mm shaft which is the same as r33 brakes

the r34 ones you have are 14mm so you will either have to drill them out or use a full r33 front brake setup

35NIK
Post #6

If a full R33 break set up is used, trial fit aset of R34 GTT wheels before you buy, They may not fit.
I gave a friend aset of R34 wheels for his 180sx with the break converstion, He went to all the effort of fixing the gutter rash and re painted them.
He went to bolt them up and they did not clear the caliper, Even though they are a stock nissan wheel, He had to use spacers.

I was happy, I got my wheels back fixed up & painted for free. lol

s1y180
Post #7

QUOTE (pipster11 @ Jun 10 2010, 10:22 AM) *
so i guess your gonna modify your mounting holes for the brakes then

your stock brake bolts will have a 12mm shaft which is the same as r33 brakes

the r34 ones you have are 14mm so you will either have to drill them out or use a full r33 front brake setup

Thanks for the offer mate, but I'll give the R34 brakes a go. If I have any hassles and don't want the front brakes, I shall PM you.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

s1y180
Post #8

QUOTE (35NIK @ Jun 10 2010, 10:05 PM) *
If a full R33 break set up is used, trial fit aset of R34 GTT wheels before you buy, They may not fit.
I gave a friend aset of R34 wheels for his 180sx with the break converstion, He went to all the effort of fixing the gutter rash and re painted them.
He went to bolt them up and they did not clear the caliper, Even though they are a stock nissan wheel, He had to use spacers.

I was happy, I got my wheels back fixed up & painted for free. lol

Haha thats bad luck for him. Thanks for that advice, I shall definitely trial fit some different wheels before I buy. The last thing I want to do is put spacers on due to the wheels not clearing the caliper and get defected. Cheers thumbsup.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x