Mitsubishi 4g63's - Differences? - old n new  

wrench
  • wrench
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 86,801
Post #1 post 12th May 2010 - 06:56 PM
4G63 SOHC came out in the starions - RWD. 4G63 DOHC turbos that come out in Evos, GSR's ,RVR and the like - East west mount 4WD FWD etc.
Question is can you use the old RWD gearbox from the starions on the later model 4G63 DOHC turbo's? Are the two 4G63 blocks the same?
Also I have been told that the L300 van and ute also uses the old NA 4g63 SOHC, does this gearbox also bolt up?
Basically i'm trying to use a 4G63 DOHC in RWD only.
Also are boxes for 4G63 front drive compatable to the 4G61 front drive?

--------------------
XE falcon with 2JZGTE - Done and Done!
astronboy
Post #2

QUOTE (wrench @ May 12 2010, 06:56 PM) *
4G63 SOHC came out in the starions - RWD. 4G63 DOHC turbos that come out in Evos, GSR's ,RVR and the like - East west mount 4WD FWD etc.
Question is can you use the old RWD gearbox from the starions on the later model 4G63 DOHC turbo's? Are the two 4G63 blocks the same?
Also I have been told that the L300 van and ute also uses the old NA 4g63 SOHC, does this gearbox also bolt up?
Basically i'm trying to use a 4G63 DOHC in RWD only.
Also are boxes for 4G63 front drive compatable to the 4G61 front drive?

I can answer part of that question.
The 4G63 that was in the aussie Starion was a SOHC & what they called a WIDE block.
The 4G63 that was in the VR4's and the EVO's DOHC was a narrow block.
This means that you can't use a Starion gearbox and straight mount it to a DOHC 4G63.In fact their and a few options though...what a lot of people are doing is using a W58 or Mazda RX7 box and having the bellhousing adapted to bolt up.A cheaper option I have seen done is to mate the North /South mounted DOHC motor to a 2Lt Sigma box and it bolts up believe it or not(narrow bolt pattern)(and you'd just run a cable clutch)....I saw this in a Sigma turbo I almost bought a few years back

What a lot of people have done is swap their SOHC head for a DOHC one which, with other mods, run great in their Starions.

There is a 4G63 DOHC turbo Chrysler Galant for sale at the moment on Ebay or carsales or one of those .He only wants 7K.Cheers

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x