Opinion - Specific Amps  

MuTek
  • MuTek
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 8,692
Post #1 post 11th December 2004 - 07:18 PM
Hey guyz i want to get a 4 channel amp - 2 channels run front splits and the other 2 bridged to run a sub.

here are the ones that i have found in the right rms for $$$

JL Audio 300/4 $584 - this one really seems like a bargain but im unsure wut JL are like as amp makers.

stats: 75 W RMS x 4 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm - bridged 2x150 @ 4ohm with front and rear crossover

Eclipse 36401 $699

Precision DCX 300.4 (4x50W) $530

Alpine MRV-F450 $661

Also Alpine Type S sub is dual voicecoil? 4ohm + 4ohm?

if i bridge this across 2 channels on one of these amps will it be all good? (ive never dealt with dual voicecoil b4) - however atm i just have a single voicecoil 4ohm pioneer.

thx guyz all opinions welcome -except for the "just go to northfield" cause i have been there and im just looking at a cheaper place to do it. cheers.
james

--------------------
camcrew.com - new evolution of toyota forum <- toyota enthusiasts join now.
4X4 Monkey
Post #2

JL are a very good brand from wat i have read and seen

Eclipse yes

Alpine yes

www.caraudioaustralia.com

lo beema
Post #3

out of the all id personally go eclipse followed by JL

And for installation id go 2 complete car sound at enoggera

thumbsup.gif happy buyin

^BeCk^
Post #4

eclipse all the way eclise is da bomb thumbsup.gif

TUN35
Post #5

well if your looking to go cheaper go for the JL. But if you want the quality you won't go past the eclipse thumbsup.gif

As for the alpine sub. They come in both 2ohm DVC and 4ohm. Most of the stand one you buy will be 4ohm. 2ohms are usually specifically ordered in. But if your wanting to bridge two channel of the amp for this application you will be safer getting a 2ohm DVC so you can wire it in series and present the amp with a 4ohm load.

maccab36
Post #6

Eclipse & Alpine would be my fav choice, also look at ARC Audio, Rockford Fosgate & Boston Acoustics wink.gif

forbidden
Post #7

That Eclipse amp is old school, it is a great amp but it is also a 2001 model. That price is way to high for an amp that old. Any 4 channel amp is going to work for you provided this fact. 99% of them are only stable to 4 ohm mono. The choice of your sub is crucial here, it must be a single 4 ohm coil version or a dual 2 ohm version wired in series to a 4 ohm load. Then you are good to go. A better Eclipse amp is the PA5422 which is a current model, rated at 85w rms x 4 and sells for about $699.00 here in the Great White North. I think our dollar and your dollar are not too far off, have a look for this amp.

Another sneaky amp to consider is the staggered Lightning Audio Strike amplifiers, the S2.500.4 and the S2.800.4 Both of these amps are monsters in disguise. The staggered format allows you to give much more power to the sub. For example the S2.500.4 is rated at 40w x 2 on the rear and 100w x 2 on the front. Reverse the amp for front to rear and you have a 40w x 2 amp for the front and a 400w x 1 bridged amp to the sub.

www.eclipse-web.au ? or www.eclipse-web.com
www.lightningaudio.com

maccab36
Post #8

Eclipse Australia

With the Eclipse summer sale you you should be able to pick the PA5422 or the EA3422 very cheap (Go to love summer sales).

forbidden
Post #9

I miss summer, sad.gif someone in Australia needs to hire me so that I can come and enjoy summer once again. rolleyes.gif Not to mention the hot chicks with accents. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

neil_se
Post #10

I haven't owned any of them, but in the research i've done the Audison SRx3 keeps popping up, its specifically designed to run splits and a sub.

http://www.audison.it/prodotti.asp?idlinea...tto=49&lang=eng

MuTek
Post #11

ok i love eclipse speakers but i dont know what you look at for amplifer quality - i was just using name + features + rms/channel.

anything else?

i like the eclipse but i really dont want to spend too much on the amp.

also where is this summer sale? i couldnt see it on the internet eclipse site? you talking about northfield or somewhere?

cheers
james

MuTek
Post #12

ok seen

Audison LRX 4.300 - $648

Fusion - Powerplant - FP 1404 (4x100wrms @4 ohm or 2x190wrms @4ohm bridged) only $485 ???

will that be too much power though to chuck through some front splits? any way to wire it to one channel for front speakers one channel to back seat speakers and then 2 for sub? Wut is going to be the ohm rating if i connect 2 sets of speakers in series/parallel - btw im going to be doin install myself but i still need to know for when i buy the gear.

Fusion - Powerplant - FP 504 $364

once again i do not know wut is quality in an amplifer -- btw im after quality and clarity but with spl.

thx again

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x