Legality Of Airbag Suspension In Qld? - Trying to find out facts dont know anything about it really  

jasonmark
  • jasonmark
  • Budding User
  • Member No.: 182,703
Post #1 post 17th February 2010 - 10:22 PM
Alright so ive had a search around here and the national code of practice motor blah blah for anthing on legality of airbag suspension in QLD?
Specifically if it is legal, if so, what happens if it has been done at home with no modplating or anything?what do i do to make it legal? how much for pricing? just in the rear of a two door ute btw.. sorry if this has been covered, couldnt find anything saying whether it is or isnt.
i only got a hk
Post #2

contact a site like down under truckin or livin low or someshit like that

jordinary
Post #3

hey man not legal in queensland because to bag the rear you need to notch the chassis and chassis modification are illegal

NISMOgemini
Post #4

QUOTE (jordinary @ Feb 18 2010, 04:42 PM) *
hey man not legal in queensland because to bag the rear you need to notch the chassis and chassis modification are illegal

u dont have to notch the chassis to bag a ute. the notch is just to get it lower than that factory chassis will alow

McGnarly
Post #5

not legal unless the car is factory fitted with airbag suspension, ie - toyotas like soarers etc.

if your ride come stock without bags, its not legal in qld to put bags in it

mick86VL
Post #6

dont listen to any of this shit these ppl are telling you...

i, and the mechanic at work, have recently had to study the guidlines for RWC cars in queensland to get a approved inspection station at work to do RWC's.

1. it's legal to have air bags in the rear of a ute, ONLY, if it's for towing purposes. so baggin it with no springs n shocks is not legal, having springs and shocks and bags is legal.

2. also i have a VS ute that was previously set up for towing, its got springs/shock/airbags and its all legal passed rwc last year when i got it rego'd.

done, the truth, not what i think, or my opinion, but QLD law.

Manic 180
Post #7

QUOTE (mick86VL @ Feb 18 2010, 06:21 PM) *

i, and the mechanic at work, have recently had to study the guidlines for RWC cars in queensland to get a approved inspection station at work to do RWC's.

1. it's legal to have air bags in the rear of a ute, ONLY, if it's for towing purposes. so baggin it with no springs n shocks is not legal, having springs and shocks and bags is legal.

2. also i have a VS ute that was previously set up for towing, its got springs/shock/airbags and its all legal passed rwc last year when i got it rego'd.

and of course youd like to add in that there is NO blanket approval in QLD, each request must be delt with separately with an application to modify, as well as being fitted with an auto levelling system....

mick86VL
Post #8

think he just means bags in the rear, not full airbag suspension

AGI78-VP
Post #9

QUOTE (mick86VL @ Feb 18 2010, 06:21 PM) *

1. it's legal to have air bags

in the rear of a ute, ONLY, if it's for towing purposes. so baggin it with no springs n shocks is not legal, having springs and shocks and bags is legal.

Wrong mate. you can have airbags all round without retaining original shocks and springs. but there is a shitload of requirements to meet and it is judged on an individual basis by QLD transport themself. an "Approved Person" (someone who is licensed to do modplates) is not sufficient to pass this.

this is a direct link to the relevant materiel

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf2ht...&images=yes

seeing this is old, this is from the modification handbook

Airbag or air pressurised shock absorber helper springs
may be fitted in addition to the original suspension.
However, replacing some or all of the suspension system
with an air or hydraulic suspension requires specific
approval.

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf2ht...&images=yes

wheelzie1989
Post #10

just cut the fucking springs.

nferno
Post #11

You can have them in QLD even if your car didn't come with them stock.

However the restrictions in place to have a legal system defeat the purpose of having air suspension e.g it cant any part of the car lower than 100mm at any point in time, it can only be adjusted from outside the vehicle when it is not in motion, you are only aloud to adjust 1/3 of your original suspension travel etc

It is pointless to engineer it in QLD.

NISMOgemini
Post #12

QUOTE (wheelzie1989 @ Feb 18 2010, 06:59 PM) *

what would "cutting" leaf springs achieve?

Buddo_007
Post #13

QUOTE (wheelzie1989 @ Feb 18 2010, 06:59 PM) *

head_wall.gif

unless it had bags from stock you can put bigger line's, bigger valve's, bigger tanks, a better compressor, etc
if it did not come with bags stock you can't get them engineered

you are allowed to get towing bags where the bag sits inside the stock spring and when you put a load on the tow ball the shock will go down, with the bags you will have 2 valve's and the rear of the car somewhere, and you can use a service station wheel pump to pump the bag's up so the car can sit level with a load on the back (trailer, camper, etc)

but as you have leaf suspension in your ute you wont be able to do it. You can but it would be pointless with leaf suspension as it wont go low and you will need a bit of pressure to raise it up

/thread

AGI78-VP
Post #14

QUOTE (Buddo_007 @ Feb 18 2010, 08:19 PM) *
head_wall.gif

unless it had bags from stock you can put bigger line's, bigger valve's, bigger tanks, a better compressor, etc

you are allowed to get towing bags where the bag sits inside the stock spring and when you put a load on the tow ball the shock will go down, with the bags you will have 2 valve's and the rear of the car somewhere, and you can use a service station wheel pump to pump the bag's up so the car can sit level with a load on the back (trailer, camper, etc)

but as you have leaf suspension in your ute you wont be able to do it. You can but it would be pointless with leaf suspension as it wont go low and you will need a bit of pressure to raise it up

/thread

YOUR WRONG. i have already posted relevant legislation. i have spoken to QT about this because i wanted to do it. you can fill out all the relevant paperwork before hand, get approval, do it, then get it completely engineered.

nferno
Post #15

QUOTE (Buddo_007 @ Feb 18 2010, 09:19 PM) *
head_wall.gif

/thread

You can also get legal load assist bags for leaf spring rear ends.
Sorry if you meant that, just i couldn't see that you wrote it.

02GZM
Post #16

L2google

Link

Modification Approval Process

Vehicle Standards Bulletin No.6 - Heavy Vehicle Modifications and the Code of Practice - Light Motor Vehicles do not allow an Approved Person
to approve suspension modifications to monocoque light vehicles. An individual application demonstrating compliance with all conditions
outlined in this document must be sent to Queensland Transport for evaluation.

Suspension modifications to light vehicles (under 4.5 t GVM) with a separate chassis are permitted under Vehicle Standards Bulletin No.6 -
Heavy Vehicle Modifications. Refer to section 1.0 Scope of the Code of Practice - Commercial Motor Vehicles. However, no deviation from the
VSB is permitted unless specifically authorised by Queensland Transport. Queensland Transport will not permit the fitting of replacement/additional
air bag or hydraulic suspension systems to vehicles that allow the driver to raise and lower all or some corners of the vehicle for show purposes.
Suspension replacements may be approved if they:
· Are a direct replacement or addition to the existing suspension;
· Do not alter the ride height of the vehicle by more than one-third of suspension travel specified by the vehicle manufacturer;
· Maintain regulated ground clearance requirements;
· Maintain control of ride height within strict requirements (No manual height control and maintain the ride height when parked).

There's heaps of other info in the link regarding chassis modification, brakes, ground clearance, height control, etc.
Read through it if you're planning on using airbags.

wheelzie1989
Post #17

GO INTO QLD TRANSPORT AND ASK!

Fucks sake, its just one big pissing contest in here....that wont come to a resolution.

PULS8R2444
Post #18

move to nsw problem solved!

Dann_m
Post #19

I dont think it's legal any way if you have to notch the chassy i say do it anyway and dont be a bitch drive it. smile.gif also what about body dropped cars? they dont notch the chassy do they?..

gagginforit
Post #20

I have a 02' Merc 200C and want bags, not side to side. Just up and down ,legality asside will i need to shitloads to it?? And is there places in qld that will fit a bag system?

stephen16
Post #21

what about these sort of bags?? i have some firestone bags which are pretty much identical that are used for loading up irs utes and for towing, they replace the spring though, are they legal or do they need any sort of cirtification ??

JERK.
Post #22

it is legal in NSW, get someone with NSW address, and rego your car in NSW.

thats what im doing.

JERK.
Post #23

you will need engineers cert from nsw. doesnt cost that much.

smile.gif

SK Group
Post #24

would a po pox in nsw work lol

jish
Post #25

QUOTE (JERK. @ Feb 26 2010, 12:10 PM) *

thats what im doing.

Yeah because that's a smart idea rolleyes.gif

"Look at my fully sick bags uleh!!!"

Buddo_007
Post #26

QUOTE (JERK. @ Feb 26 2010, 12:10 PM) *

thats what im doing.

also you get your sticker with the renewal notice but you still have to get the car checked and pay the rest

every year you will have to drive to tweed heads and get a pink slip ($30) and if there is anything wrong with it you have to fix it to pass the pink slip, pay your CTP insurance then pay your rego

but i think NSW might just have the 6 months rego now i'm not quiet sure before it was for 12 months and around 700 for rego each year

55yko
Post #27

I THINK the main issues in QLD with airbag suspension is:

1: Valves - any sort of manual control of the air suspension is illegal
2: Has to be controlled by an automatic fail safe system - so if the fail at 110km/h you dont cause a massive accident when the chassis rails hit the road in even pressure failure (have to retain standard bump stops)

JERK.
Post #28

QUOTE (55yko @ Feb 26 2010, 07:35 PM) *
I THINK the main issues in QLD with airbag suspension is:

1: Valves - any sort of manual control of the air suspension is illegal
2: Has to be controlled by an automatic fail safe system - so if the fail at 110km/h you dont cause a massive accident when the chassis rails hit the road in even pressure failure (have to retain standard bump stops)

that just takes the fun out of it...
can't layy rail with a 20foot rooster tail if you follow the rules !!!!

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x