Vehicle Modifications - The Basic Handbook for Modifiers  

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
clutch-monkey
Post #36

QUOTE (oatmeal @ Jan 14 2010, 05:03 PM) *
does anyone know the exact details if your aloud a roll cage or not ? or who best to ask ? pm me cheeers

what kind of cage? on a road registered car?
bolt in cage is legal for street cars, iirc have to remove side intrusion bars when on the road.

02GZM
Post #37

QUOTE (GTRwilson @ Dec 25 2009, 12:09 AM) *
Another question for those 'in the know'. When building a custom autometer dash say like the one pictured below, what lights are needed? e.g. this one only has 2 for indicators, but legally what warning lights are required such as hand brake, high beam ect?

I did some looking into this. Here's the ADR that relates to instrumentation.
3.1. Overview of the ADR
The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify requirements for the
instrument panel to reduce its injury potential to occupants on impact.

So I'm assuming that as long as it contains all the required gauges/notification devices and meets the ADR (Which means being tested to the SAE J921 standard - "Instrument Panel Laboratory Impact Test Procedure”) it may possibly be legal.
Meeting that standard basically means you've gotta give one of the instrument panels over to be crash tested. And don't expect to get it back.

Don't quote me on this though. There's obviously a little bit more involved that I cbf looking up atm.

baconson
Post #38

all 100% carbon fibre panels are illegal, you can have carbon firbre wrapped fibreglass etc, but your not allow to have straight carbon fibre, due to its impressive ability to shatter into a billion sharp shards on any impact

Manic 180
Post #39

QUOTE (baconson @ Feb 20 2010, 03:29 PM) *
all 100% carbon fibre panels are illegal, you can have carbon firbre wrapped fibreglass etc, but your not allow to have straight carbon fibre, due to its impressive ability to shatter into a billion sharp shards on any impact

Not true, its just very few cf are crash tested properly.
There is a mob getting around with ADR approved carbon products. Also many top end cars use carbon body parts :rolleyes:

khubner
Post #40

in qld according to my local cop shop all external lighting apart from those that serve as headlamps indicators etc are NOT permitted. i would assume this to inlcude undercar glow washer leds etc

Twist
Post #41

Why the hell would you want washer leds ? Gayer then aids.

baconson
Post #42

QUOTE (Manic 180 @ Feb 20 2010, 04:39 PM) *
Not true, its just very few cf are crash tested properly.
There is a mob getting around with ADR approved carbon products. Also many top end cars use carbon body parts :)

there fibreglass or kevlar impregnated carbon fibre panels on high end cars

daveytrackels
Post #43

thx you have been really helpfull

nz crimz
Post #44

Wanting a little help, I have a Toyota Hilux and im thinking about putting a holden 202 into It. What dramas will i have with the law? I understand it needs certing for the modification. But is there anything else I need to know before i go ahead.

aerosport
Post #45

Hey just a question about horns. I've been told that airhorns are illegal but electric horns are fine. Can anyone confirm this for correct it?The reason im asking is that I got an electric horn for xmas and i dont want to get defected for it

Alex1500
Post #46

i need some advice, i have a 1981 Toyota Hilux and i'm not shore what engine to put in it, i was thinking a SR20 or a newer injected Hilux engine, any advice would be appreciated, thank you

TwinCam16
Post #47

QUOTE (Alex1500 @ May 4 2010, 04:05 PM) *
i need some advice, i have a 1981 Toyota Hilux and i'm not shore what engine to put in it, i was thinking a SR20 or a newer injected Hilux engine, any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Try making a new topic then.

Bozza_12
Post #48

Good summary for all newbies. I'm sure you'll add more things onto in the future.

Python08
Post #49

Could you tell me if it is legal to have a battery in the boot of your car? Will I need to get it engineered? (there's nothing about batteries in that mod handbook).

khubner
Post #50

you can have the batery in the boot it's quite comon you will need to put the batery insaide a sealed box that vents to the exterior of the vehicle. im unsure about compliancing/modplating etc

aerosport
Post #51

QUOTE (aerosport @ Apr 6 2010, 07:13 PM) *
Hey just a question about horns. I've been told that airhorns are illegal but electric horns are fine. Can anyone confirm this for correct it?The reason im asking is that I got an electric horn for xmas and i dont want to get defected for it

still curious...

khubner
Post #52

as long as it works and works consitently and instantly upon pressing the horn button should be ok i would think.

old man installed an airhorn into a merc sprinter van. (you press the horn button which spun up a air pump which directly vented through the horns) was quite unreliable and was quiter than the stock one so he removed it. it used to fail at the mention of moisture

MJG
Post #53

QUOTE (aerosport @ Apr 6 2010, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE (aerosport @ May 11 2010, 02:17 PM) *
still curious...

Dual air or electrical horns are acceptable but must be of a single note. Also, the 'switch' must be within reach of the driver (not an issue if using steering wheel hub).

i.e. You can use air / electric horns, as long as they only make one note. So, no 'novelty' horns... ;)

k_diz7
Post #54

hey im from new zealand hoping to move to aussie soon. wots the deal on rotaries in queensland? I hear you are only allow to put a 12a in a old car if not factory? coming from a country where you can put any engine in any car as long as you can get a certification.

Kai
Post #55

QUOTE (k_diz7 @ May 19 2010, 11:46 AM) *
hey im from new zealand hoping to move to aussie soon. wots the deal on rotaries in queensland? I hear you are only allow to put a 12a in a old car if not factory? coming from a country where you can put any engine in any car as long as you can get a certification.

If you know the right people you can get a 13bt into them.

I have a mod plate on mine.

mikejoel
Post #56

This is a cool list! Thanks for sharing :mamoru:

k_diz7
Post #57

QUOTE (Kai @ May 24 2010, 09:43 AM) *
If you know the right people you can get a 13bt into them.

I have a mod plate on mine.

aww yea sik ill find out more closer to time.

aza's OVX308
Post #58

Hi,

I have recently just purchases a VZ and I am wanting to know a few things to make it run a bit quicker and get a bit more power out of it. Is it worth just doing the exhaust & SS induction? Or should I be looking at other things.

cheers

vomit
Post #59

QUOTE (arpianna11 @ Jun 23 2010, 08:42 PM) *
Its a simple as this, with any after market performance mods you require a ecu and a good tune.

Really depends on what you consider a "performance mod", but i would have to disagree with you.

Not really the right place to argue anyway.
OT Great write up.

nismo-fatroll
Post #60

wat are the laws on airbag suspension? will insurance rape me?

cregmark
Post #61

Nice work.

Rookie ROX
Post #62

QUOTE (nismo-fatroll @ Jul 8 2010, 06:19 PM) *
wat are the laws on airbag suspension? will insurance rape me?

The only way to get airbags legally passed in Queensland will result in it being of absolutely no use for the purpose I know you want it for. And yes, your insurance company would quite happily void your policy when they found out.

Anyway, I'm closing this thread to cut down on the number of spambots hitting it regularly. The majority of questions will have been previously answered, so if it's not in here, use the Search feature. No, it's not Google, so don't be surprised when 'can i lower my car to 13mm' doesn't return results. Search broadly and narrow down accordingly.

ROCK ON
R~R

xxxxgold
Post #63

After numerous complaints, QT have 'graciously' decided to make the (full) QLD Code of Practice for light vehicles available online. There are of course no links to the document on their website, and you wouldn't know it was there unless you knew exactly where to look, but it is there which i guess is a start.

QLD Code of Practice - Light Vehicles

2quick4ya
Post #64

I am looking into buying a cc lancer and it has 3 big holes of the mitsubishi sign on it cut out on the bonnet with mesh under it is this illegal?
Cheers 2quick4ya

Chris_Rogers_01
Post #65

Hey guys i got a 2004 Mitsubishi VRX Magna that comes standard with 4 air bags drivers passenger and 2 side ones im thinking of getting rid of my current seats and getting different ones would this be illegal as it didn't state this in the topic and to do that and replace a steering wheel fitted with a airbag be a big fine? as im aware allot of people do replace thier current steering wheel on several cars including skylines and commodores that come fitted with airbags allot of my friends do this as well and when they get pulled over for a inspection on the coast they have been defected but never for the steering wheel are the cops very picky about this as i have only heard of people getting defected for the size not the actual airbag

MAR705
Post #66

i no this thread is old but quick question do you no much about insurance modification ? long story short i had a accident my fault i have minimal damage but i have to pay my excess but i have a full exhaust on my car when the assessor comes out can they void my claim/insurance because i have not informed them about a modification or only void the insurance on that modification ?

mitch-10-02
Post #67

QUOTE (MAR705 @ Apr 26 2011, 10:06 PM) *
i no this thread is old but quick question do you no much about insurance modification ? long story short i had a accident my fault i have minimal damage but i have to pay my excess but i have a full exhaust on my car when the assessor comes out can they void my claim/insurance because i have not informed them about a modification or only void the insurance on that modification ?

thats bwteen you and your insurance company. not the modification laws. insure with JustCar if your shit insurance company wont cover mods (thats why i changed)

MAR705
Post #68

QUOTE (mitch-10-02 @ Apr 26 2011, 10:20 PM) *
thats bwteen you and your insurance company. not the modification laws. insure with JustCar if your shit insurance company wont cover mods (thats why i changed)

hey man i am with just car but i didnt declare my exhaust head_wall.gif

skywarp
Post #69

QUOTE (caraudiotech.au @ Apr 29 2011, 06:50 PM) *
Great Job Rookie, but would have enjoyed more if you would have discussed little bit on Car audios, Car Videos or other Car Accessories. You have discussed each point with proper detailing, which is simply incredible. Would love to see more of your such posts.

nice write up!

Rookie ROX
Post #70

QUOTE (Chocko Louie @ Jun 4 2011, 06:00 PM) *
So people can take off their catalytic convertor if they have a VK commodore made in 84-85?

No. That's not how it works. If it came with it, it must stay.

If your vehicle didn't come from the factory with one, then there would be no requirement to install one. However if it does, you must retain it as the standard emissions control equipment.

ROCK ON
R~R

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x