How Best To Modify A Charade? - How best to modify a charade?  

VL_Sleeper
  • VL_Sleeper
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 5,119
Post #1 post 11th September 2004 - 12:05 AM
well i got myself a lil' 94 daihatsu charade
had to sell the vl...

anyways, just wonderin if anyone could give me some advice/ideas on modifying a 1L 3 cyl charade...

first what size exhaust would work best? i'd prefer a more low down to mid range torque curve coz i'm not going racing anytime soon, just prefer more poke round town and up the range...

second, any ideas on how to mount a pod filter to a carby? without big expensive custom sheet metal work or holes in the bonnet... haha

are there any short throw kits for the lil' 5 speed box?

and lastly... do they need much modification to fit 17" rims under the guards?

any info would be appreciated, and please don't tell me to buy a bigger car, i've just come from that and i'm lovin the fuel economy!!

cheers biggrin.gif

--------------------
'cooled VL Berlina running 15psi

HSV, I Just Beat One
IEATU
Post #2

all of those mods u just listed............................... dunno.gif is it worth doing dunno.gif

QUOTE (SUS07 @ Sep 11 2004, 12:07 AM)
all of those mods u just listed............................... dunno.gif is it worth doing dunno.gif

this car is like a go-kart, and i just want to make it a little bit more fun
so yes, it is worth it... for my own benefit as i cannot afford to enjoy the luxury of a bigger car

vn355
Post #4

i have a 91 charade shitta for a work car, its got 15 inch standard on it, cant see why you couldnt get 17s, mines fuel injection, so wouldnt know bout the pod filter on carby, i put two 10 inch subs in there and there loud as fudge! good boom car, wouldnt really mod a 1litre engine, maybe a 1.3 turbo transplant... good luck smile.gif

IEATU
Post #5

mate, i say just get a nice set of rims that suit the car, lower it, and keep standard exaust. you will get more respect with a car like that, than something with a fart tin on the back

avalonea
Post #6

find a cb turbo engine smile.gif

i know just jap did have one . * had a brocken dizzy * and swap the fucker in

`josh

bendertiger
Post #7

With an engine that small, the only way to go is turbo conversion, and a few surprised faces, I'm serious, you need a turbo in things that small, but failing that, a nice small BREATHABLE exhaust, so nothing too bloody big and farty, and maybe change the carbie over to a nice performance unit.

70XIN
Post #8

GRLPWR or whatever that charade is called has 18s smile.gif so i think 17s should be no problem at all

The only possible modifications you would need to do are to lip the guards (about $50 each i think) or modify the inside of the guards (dremel is your friend)

But then again it shouldn't be a problem if you aren't lowering it too drastically!

Tree Fitty Z
Post #9

would it be able to fit the Sireon GTVi engine? Not exactly a worth while mod though, but interesting to see

VL_Sleeper
Post #10

yeah, i got 2 12" rockfords on layby for it at the moment, in a ported box... was going to get 2 10's but this deal was too good to pass up
as for the exhaust, i was think hi-flo cat, 2" with a resonator at the end so its quiet... i don't want the big fart tip thing goin on, just the power gain and a nice muffled and quiet system

i'd love to do the turbo swap, but its not a priority eh, i'm surprised at how much the lil' carby motor pumps... i guess its small car gokart syndrome biggrin.gif

and yeah, suspension wise i want to lower it a touch and put stiffer shocks all round with sway bar at the front, know anywhere i can get that sorta gear?
i was thinking pedders or fulcrum...

anyways, just wonderin if anyone could give me some advice/ideas on modifying a 1L 3 cyl charade...

Fire Away

first what size exhaust would work best? i'd prefer a more low down to mid range torque curve coz i'm not going racing anytime soon, just prefer more poke round town and up the range...

If you're looking for low down to mid range torque I'd suggest leaving the factory exhaust in place since they come from the factory with drivability in mind, if you increased the size of the exhaust you'd only lose torque low down and (very) slightly increase top end.

are there any short throw kits for the lil' 5 speed box?

Yeah a Hacksaw biggrin.gif ... Seriously, On this car it's not worth spending a shitload, just go for cheap as mods and save your dosh for something better or a carton of beer.

any info would be appreciated, and please don't tell me to buy a bigger car, i've just come from that and i'm lovin the fuel economy!!

Yeah you gotta love the economy of a 1L 3cyl engine thumbsup.gif

Nvious
Post #12

yeh.. my bro use to have 96 model of it..

looked alright...

he just put charade f2 bodykit on it..

3inch tip.. with 2 inch piping

18inch AME rims..

and pod filter..

and spent literally thousands on the suspension.. KONI adjustable all around etc..

umm.. two 12inch kicker subs.. powered by kicker n crossfire amp.. with pioneer headunit.. (mp3 headunits didnt exist back in them days.. or was too expensive..)

oh them days of the downshift crew.. lol thumbsup.gif

well if u want power..
source up the detamaso engine. its got like much more power than the 1.3L efi engine.

Eels
Post #13

ive got 16" rims on my charade and there struggling to fit...but i havent got the guards rolled up or anything and my cars 3/4 of a coke can off the ground... i dont see it being an issue if u roll the guards up..actually i was thinking of putting 17" on mine...and putting a little cb80 turbo on it... i guess we'll see what happens smile.gif

QIK 993
Post #14

Hey...
I have a 96 F2 Charade that came out with the 1.5 injected engine and I must say that it wasnt too bad at all. The engine in your car is a 'CB23'. 3cyl Carby. These engines while being economical as all hell really arent that powerful and to be honest the exhaust and intake mods would be alot of money for little gain... relativley speaking. For example Swapped my 1.5 over to a 993cc twin cam turbo import engine "CB70/80". These engines have forged pistons as standard and teh rods etc are also strong as hell. Im running mine with a microtech LTX-8s computer and multi coils with standard gear box and driveshafts front mount, Pod filter, 2.5" exhaust. I run aorund 15 psi day to day and my dyno figure on 8psi was 115Hp at the wheels... 120 on 19psi. I know have a bigger turbo and custom manifold ready to go on and my cams will be reground and i am expecting 170Hp at the wheels. These engines are very rare and saught after however they are well worth the trouble... I got one of mine recently for $1100. I have got 17 x 7s on mine and its fine... one thing to check its that the lips under the rear guards have been folded back up and under otherwise the will cut into ur tyres sad.gif
I have a lot of friends who all have these engines.... PM me if you need any info.

Manic 180
Post #15

in fact its just under a 1 ltr 997cc or somthing

performance is gonna cost you a fortune
go for sound small cars make more efficent set ups

60def
Post #16

mate go a cb80 in ur car...u wont regret that!
fittin 17s wouldnt be much drama at all and make sure u slam it tho
keep us up to date with ur plans...i wana see it!
but yer im my opinion...get a cb80!

VL_Sleeper
Post #17

hey thanks everyone for the ideas, but i'm afraid i doubt i'll be able to afford the engine swap... but damn its eating at the back of my mind now!
haha, must stop the bug from biting...

spoke to autobarn cairns, they said that i can get a k&n filter to replace the standard one for around $130... i figure that will help
but CSX_16 - so you think there would be no benefit from a tight lil' exhaust package? nothin too free flowing...? and the carton of beer comment... i like your thinking hehehe

hey Manic_VN - i'm on my way to gettin a sound system together, already have a pioneer mp3 player and a set of mb quart 5.25" splits in the front... with a rocky fosgate amp and 2 rocky subs on their way by the end of the year hopefully... biggrin.gif

whats the tyre dimensions that fit on a set of 17 x 7's??

thanks guys!
Scotty.

VL_Sleeper
Post #18

another thing... if i put 17's on... that'll change the speedo reading... how do your correct this??

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x