Fitting Hydraulic Handbrake To My R31 Drifter. - How to do it, and is it the solution i need?  

lil_bobby_260
  • lil_bobby_260
  • Jesus loves you. I think your an ass.
  • Member No.: 125,208
Post #1 post 2nd June 2009 - 12:05 PM
Ok so legalities, aside, will it fix my problem? It is registered and street driven, but I typically trailer it to events if i know there will be a police presence.

The handbrake on my skyline is getting to be unpredictable, in that it wont always lock the rears as easily. Cable is obviously stretched, and will no doubt keep stretching due to the way the vehicle is being driven. I dont want to have to keep adjusting it etc, and want a more solid feel when engaging the handbrake.

From my understanding, a hydraulic handbrake uses a proper brake line with brake fluid to lock the rear calipers? Would give a much more accurate feel, and be much more consistent with when it locks the rears.

How do you fit one of these? Does it plumb into your existing rear brake lines? I dont understand how it wouldnt affect the front brakes, unless the proportioning valve will autmatically combat the pressure coming from the rear brake lines back up to interfere with the fronts...

--------------------
Helping smart-arses look like dumb-arses since August '85
Me on TripleJ and smashin it!
72 Ford Galaxie (557 stroker in build)
73 XB Falcon (351/toploader/9")
80 CM Chrysler (265/4spd)
94 XG Falcon Ute (4.0/5spd)
93 EB Fairmont (302/BTR)
WANTED: poor condition 2nd hand alloy wheels and tyres.
Want some alloys repaired and refinished? PM me
biskit
Post #2

pretty sure u tap in to existing rear brake lines

mongrel_cae71
Post #3

most of those hydraulic handbrakes you buy have a land rover style master cylinder on them, basically you cut the hydraulic line going to the rear and run it through the handbrakes master cyl. Re-bleed the brakes and away you go.
when the master cylinder is released(handbrake down) the fluid/pressure runs through the cylinder. when the hand brake is up, the mastercylinder blocks of the line and creates pressure in the rear half(lock the rear callipers), bonus is you can still feather the front brakes with the brake pedal, but it's a wierd feeling cos the pedal will be a lot firmer(not as spongy as normal).

just make sure you check the master cylinder adjustment every now and then(not that is should go out), if the push rod is a little to long it will stop your rear brakes from working normally.

lil_bobby_260
Post #4

Ok so the built in master cylinder has a one-way check valve sort of setup? That would make sense.... So realistically i will just need to find the brake line/s for the rears, and divert them so that they run into the cabin to the handbrake (using y-pieces if necessary to change it to a single line), feed it into the handbrake, then back out, another y-piece if needed to split it back into two lines, and back down to rejoin the original brake lines....?

whykickamoocow
Post #5

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?t...aulic_Handbrake

This is a guide i used to set one up on a mates, has pictures and it's pretty easy to do if you have mechanical experiance.

pipster11
Post #6

pretty sure the run down the tunnel and onto the the diff
shouldn't be hard tho
been a while since i was underneath mine tho sad.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x