New Boot Install! Help - SUBS  

Griffo
  • Griffo
  • Car Whore
  • Member No.: 5,205
Post #1 post 9th April 2004 - 04:31 PM
hey all, im planning on starting my new boot install today tunes.gif and i have no idea how to place my subs. I have 2 Pioneer VCCS subs at the moment i have them in a box with the magnet inside the box, some people tell me to do it this way, and some tell me to have the magnet sticking out of the box, wacko.gif what difference dose this make, better .. Worse? n e other tips would be great thanks.
Griffo thumbsup.gif
$mullet$
Post #2

i had to of them subs 2 10inc they go harder in a ported box upside down magnet up.

but my box was big so try that u can allways turn da other way if u need to

WAT size subs are they???

$MULLET$ thumbsup.gif

Griffo
Post #3

2 12" subs

*this writing will make this post reasonable*

TwinCam16
Post #4

you need to give a little more information....

ie what car... how much power they are getting etc etc etc

having the sub inverted or placed inside the box makes no difference what so ever to the actuall output or bass. its all bullshit.

BoostedS15
Post #5

if they are in a hatch have them facing the rear of the boot from the back seat, load them off the rear panel for much better SPL.

also depends on the sort of box your using.

Post #6

there is no audibal difference between inverted and normal mounting.

go the largest box you can(ported).. fire it into the hatch if its a hatchback.. itll make noise tongue.gif (pending on amp/s of course)

prophecy
Post #7

you wont tell at all, but if your box is a bit small, invert it, the box size in increase by the ammount of the sub cone x 2, like if you sit cardboard over your sub, theres a pocket of air in there, double that area, thats much increase in your box size, which IS enough to knock it out of wack when dealing with ports, just leave the magnet in the box like it belongs.

Griffo
Post #8

its in a ford fairmont, big boot

Vega_man
Post #9

For better Sound Quality I would fire them towards the front of the car, It will give more punch....Firing them rearward towards the tail lights will make them sound louder and give more Bass.... If you want more SPL out of them in a Sedan....Fire them towards the Bootlid....

Normal or Inverted It won't sound any Different....If they are Inverted I would recommend reversing the wiring....as it uasually puts the Sub out of Phase 180 degrees

Oh maybe a little bit bigger in Box size wouldn't hurt in such a big Sedan....

TwinCam16
Post #10

I mentioned this in a post a few days ago regarding sub into Falcodores... the only one that actually works is a v box.

subs firing TOWARDS the rear seats kinda hard to explain the design of the box, pm me if you wana know how to build em.

as for firing towards the boot lid... maybe in other sedans, but as soon as you close the boot lid, notice the bass disapears wacko.gif

Griffo
Post #11

just went to wire a amp, didnt work sad.gif open'd it up, big black burn mark, its dead, looking for an amp, ne body got one? PM ME if ya do thx

1jungtir
Post #12

twin cam 16 doesnt know shit facing your subs magnet out 1 to 3 db loss in output so "Magnet in". And ace them backwards as close to the back as possable to load them off the rear of the car resulting in a gain in db thumbsup.gif

QUOTE (1jungtir @ Apr 13 2004, 12:04 AM)
twin cam 16 doesnt know shit facing your subs magnet out 1 to 3 db loss in output so "Magnet in". And ace them backwards as close to the back as possable to load them off the rear of the car resulting in a gain in db thumbsup.gif

That's a pretty wrong call for a newbie to be posting!!

Welcome to boost anyhow thumbsup.gif

Got Milk?
Post #14

there is no difrence between the sound of external mounting and internal mounting, all a sub is is a big air pump, and as long as it has air to move it will work so inverted or normal its pretty much a looks sort of choice, some people swear by inverted some swear by the normal meathod, try both out, its not going to cost you anything to try both ways is it just a couple of screws, then make your decision.

73ESN
Post #15

hmmm...whos idea was it to invert the subs....oh wait it was mine thumbsup.gif

TRAV05M3
Post #16

i have to of the new pioneer woofer the carbon fibr looking things, they are 12"s when o bought them i made sure they are built to run in sealed enclosures, i bought to single 12" uni box's n faced the subs upwards in my hatch. all i can say is they are fucking loud hey n i have already recieved a warning from mr police officer! unsure.gif

BUT ISNT PIONEER THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!

all you alpine boys n girls dont cry its ganna be ok! thumbsup.gif laugh.gif

SPL_Pulsar
Post #17

like somone said alls inverting the sub does is create more box volume. In som cases you might gain 1 or 2 db but only becasue you should of had a bigger box to start with in the first place.

25YKU
Post #18

Are the subs free to air?? cos mine are and sounded heaps better with magnet inside the box

i've got a smaller boot so i dunno just try it out!

QUOTE (TRAV05M3 @ Apr 13 2004, 08:55 PM)
i have to of the new pioneer woofer the carbon fibr looking things, they are 12"s when o bought them i made sure they are built to run in sealed enclosures, i bought to single 12" uni box's n faced the subs upwards in my hatch. all i can say is they are fucking loud hey n i have already recieved a warning from mr police officer! unsure.gif

BUT ISNT PIONEER THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!

all you alpine boys n girls dont cry its ganna be ok! thumbsup.gif laugh.gif

man no offence but alpine shits all over pioneer, each to their own i guess, but i would always quality over quantity.......... biggrin.gif

ferdie
Post #20

could be wrong, but it should not matter 'free air' or not. from my experiance with the older serise both hade the same specs, just a different sticker on the magnet...

1jungtir, should not burn someone who does this stuff for a living, just makes u look stupid.

my opinion, single chamber BIG slot ported box for spl, 2 individual sealed 1-1.25cu/ft boxes for sq. play with loading positions till it sounds best 2 u. as already quoted sub magnet in/out changes box volume and looks of the system. if connected correctly will not change dynamics of the system. pm if u still looking for an amp, will be able 2 find u something 2 fit ur budget.

nathan

SPL_Pulsar
Post #21

Go Alpine thumbsup.gif

TwinCam16
Post #22

1jungtir, the only reason you might get a small db gain is because you are making a smaller enclosure by putting the magnet into the box. which might be enough to cause an spl increase.

now if you wana get into the nitty gritty, then yes it will cause a slight difference, only that of the volume of cone and magnet tho.

and as for this "loading" you are talking about, care to explain how you come to this conclusion. cause last time i checked SPL was sound presure level.. now if you have a boot that is sealed then how are you presurising (fuck the spelling) the cabin?

I am always open to be proven wrong, i mean hey no one is perfect, but comming out here blerting that i dont know shit is a pretty lame thing to do, especially considering how long i have been doing this for.

And as for free air and enclosure subs being the same, you are so wrong its not funny.

next time you get the chance, feel the stiffness of a free air sub (cone movement up and down) then go do the same to one designed for an eclosure... the only similarities are the looks, they are like chalk and cheese. dont be fooled by thinking the only difference is the T or C at the end of the model number (ie pioneerTSWXXXC or TSWXXXF)

SPL_Pulsar
Post #23

Twincam16. Since you sound like you know sooo much about stereos and sound can you explain free air subs? I don't understand how they work. cheers
rhys thumbsup.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x