Cool Cars For P Platers - A list of cool car P Platers can drive  

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
Boredstiff
Post #36

W00t, Levin made it... btw u can call it an "AE101 Levin GT Apex" or AE111 for bt model wink.gif

clutch-monkey
Post #37

any older porsche 911, or 944/964/924/914

"80XYA" WRX
Post #38

Lol dont even mention the vz-r Pulsars....
You say it like they are common....These pulsars are fucking rare as.
And to find an engine half cut is even more unlikely..
Id have a guess that there are maybe no more than 5 max vz-r's getting around in Aus.... ive never seen one.

3SGE
Post #39

Oh yeah got the celica, and my god do they handle 10 times better than a commo or a falcon, so much more responsive at high speeds and around tight twisty roads. My suspension if fucked and I still beat my bother in his VS. But he starts to slowly catch on the strights. . . damn 6 against 4 lol, I can still keep up with him on launch and up to 80 KM/PH but after that. . T-VIS runs out. .

jashneilk
Post #40

nice list man thumbsup.gif

QUOTE(Mundi @ Sep 18 2008, 10:21 PM) [snapback]1282895414[/snapback]

Toyota Lexcen.
Just kidding smile.gif .

how come holden apollo didnt make the list laugh.gif

02GZM
Post #41

QUOTE(DR1FTER @ Sep 18 2008, 10:38 PM) [snapback]1282895504[/snapback]

N/A EG civics, they are cheap and decent.

i love my skylines , but im almost half way with the Ls and my rents are hating liners so it seems that a good 'ol VTEC shoebox is the way to go.....

Good luck finding an EG6 for sale in aus though. Unless you mean little vti's with d16y8's...

QUOTE(s2krazy @ Sep 18 2008, 09:58 PM) [snapback]1282895280[/snapback]

is it black, with white TE37 wheels?

70RUN? I thought that was for sale.

rotor_head_83
Post #42

"a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications"

a 12a has exactly 1146cc --- does that mean you can drive one?

a great addition therefore would be a series 1 rx7 with the 12a

Street Tuned
Post #43

QUOTE(rotor_head_83 @ Sep 18 2008, 11:46 PM) [snapback]1282895740[/snapback]

"a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications"

a 12a has exactly 1146cc --- does that mean you can drive one?

a great addition therefore would be a series 1 rx7 with the 12a

That I dont know, would definatly be on the list if i knew if they were legal or not,

12as go hard as

can anyone shed some light on the subject of 12a's?

mark1414
Post #44

Pretty sure you can have 12a's on your Ps just.

Nick_RA40
Post #45

12A Rotaries.

lil_foy
Post #46

QUOTE(turbomarch @ Sep 18 2008, 09:49 PM) [snapback]1282895227[/snapback]

amazed no one has mentioned the jdm nissan pulsar vz-r (jn15) these thing's are fuckin weapons with the sr16ve motor, 140kw stock out of the factory is a pretty good effort, considering the new golf gti is somewhere around 147kw stock... along with a bunch of other jap turbo cars which are around the same power.. the vz-r would make a pretty quick p plater car imo

Tbh I wasnt really impressed by the times they ran stock.
I guess a set of cams will open up the vvl feature tho.

+1 for dohc vtecs.
Good on fuel, preety fast, not to bad on insurance.
And there is alot of bolt on parts avaliable.

s2krazy
Post #47

QUOTE(02GZM @ Sep 18 2008, 11:45 PM) [snapback]1282895737[/snapback]

Good luck finding an EG6 for sale in aus though. Unless you mean little vti's with d16y8's...
70RUN? I thought that was for sale.

Yer Matyi's car. He sold it on the weekend and said it was heading north. This guys mate actually bought it.

Granthem
Post #48

Yeh 70RUN is the S2000 I am talking about. We are having abit of a cruise this weekend so Ill be sure to snap some pics smile.gif

micko1212
Post #49

Autech S15.

A few of them going around now.

clutch-monkey
Post #50

nice to see it found a good home smile.gif

matchboi
Post #51

Toyota Sprinter AE86 (don't personally like the look of them but still P plate friendly in stock form)
Nissan NX Coupe(slightly biased i used to own one)
Subaru Impreza\Liberty\Forester's non-turbo

Can all look good with some nice wheels and lowered.

Stuit
Post #52

what about Subaru Impreza RX/RS/GX etc? they go ok and the 01+ models look good.

allblaqk
Post #53

QUOTE(Street Tuned @ Sep 18 2008, 08:57 PM) [snapback]1282894879[/snapback]

Toyota MR2 - Older models look like Ferraris - How could that be a bad car, newer ones look a little like Porches but dont pull it off so well. Again make sure you buy NON Turbo.
Mazda 3 SP23 or SP20 - Good looking cars that go pretty well, both the newer and older models have really nice interiors but again it is in the border line pile with Mitsubishi Lancers as whither it is cool or not.

MR2- my boy has an older mr2 (87) & its fantastic. its non-supercharged but its still really fast. which probably not good for a 1st time driver. and its mid engine so i read that its harder to control. its his 2nd car tho so its all good, hes had his practice smile.gif

SP20- thumbsup.gif a guy i know, worst driver in the world, has one of these and i dont feel unsafe when he drives me.

QUOTE(FunkyMonk @ Sep 18 2008, 09:24 PM) [snapback]1282895072[/snapback]

Ha fuck man, since when do P platers have a spare 30 grand? I've got a Prelude, it goes decent.

x2.
i seriously think that P-Platers inc myself, should have a crappy runaround car for there Ps then once they know how to drive and are one their opens they can upgrade. i have a 93 Lancer & its perfect. apart from being FWD tongue.gif

micko1212
Post #54

QUOTE(lil_foy @ Sep 19 2008, 02:00 AM) [snapback]1282895977[/snapback]

+1 for dohc vtecs.

And also make them illegal for a P plater to drive??

DAL32
Post #55

QUOTE(micko1212 @ Sep 19 2008, 02:32 PM) [snapback]1282897383[/snapback]

You don't have to mod plate cams. So they're P plate Legal. Fuck yeah.

In fact, you don't have to mod plate most N/A engine mods. As the engine from the outside remains untouched, it's not like a turbo car where usually modified ones stick out like dogs balls with chrome pipes and hectic valves everywhere.

TMZ_535is
Post #56

BMW E34 535i - you get power, build quality, luxury and looks all in one, for under 10gs

micko1212
Post #57

QUOTE(DAL32 @ Sep 19 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]1282899514[/snapback]

In fact, you don't have to mod plate most N/A engine mods. As the engine from the outside remains untouched, it's not like a turbo car where usually modified ones stick out like dogs balls with chrome pipes and hectic valves everywhere.

I thought anything that changed the emissions of the vehicle was illegal.........?

s2krazy
Post #58

QUOTE(DAL32 @ Sep 19 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]1282899514[/snapback]

Copper is going to see the cams / sleeving / port & polished / retainer valves / springs inside the engine either..

isn't*

02GZM
Post #59

If you're going to go to all the work in doing cams you would want to get a decent set which is going to most likely alter the engine sound so a copper will pick up on that pretty easy and send it to the pits to be emissions tested.

hiluxboi_chrisso
Post #60

im on my L's and i got a vs statesman sittin on 20"s wit a sound system and its only cost me round $14000 all up, looks heaps good but handles like shit...

lil_foy
Post #61

QUOTE(micko1212 @ Sep 19 2008, 02:32 PM) [snapback]1282897383[/snapback]

Where did I say anything about putting cams in a sr16ve for p platers?

I was talking in general, commenting on their lack of performance down the strip from the factory.

dwvr
Post #62

my first car: mercedes 190E (`84)

can get em cheapish, parts arnt as hard to find as people think.

if u manage to get one with a sunroof like mine, then its the perfect cruising car. lil 4cyl means its not too bad on fuel either but looks almost the same as the bigger mercs to the untrained eye.

kung-fu panda
Post #63

QUOTE(someblackguy @ Sep 18 2008, 10:06 PM) [snapback]1282895328[/snapback]

i dont know why all the sickie wannabe hektik drifta p-platers are crying about, plenty of good non-turbo/v8+ cars to have.

its not the end of the world, most 17-20 year olds (p plater age group) dont have enough money or know how to get a highly modified turbo car anyway. and generally when they do most only have stock turbo pigs (s13,180, r32 gtst, series1-5 rx7 etc) that could be beaten by a lot of the p plater friendly cars on that list.
and dignity

yeah but it has made it less affordable and its hard to find its hard to find a decent done up car when you cant even drive a gemini with webbers

turbomarch
Post #64

QUOTE(lil_foy @ Sep 19 2008, 02:00 AM) [snapback]1282895977[/snapback]

+1 for dohc vtecs.

a set of cams to open up the vvl feature? wtf, even the poverty vz-r model runs 280' duration cams standard. that's pretty fuckin huge cam specs imo, for a stocko 1.6L.. have to agree thou, there's fuck all available in the way of aftermarket parts for the ve engines.

spanku690
Post #65

ae86,civic,eg,type r,integra type r..F8&@ all that nissan n13 and all that rubbish

yey! tongue.gif

DAL32
Post #66

Damn, that Civic looks sweet as. Even though I never thought wheels that only work on cars like AE86 would work on that shape of Civic.

rotmanozzie
Post #67

HQ Premier sedan, 202, 3 on the tree, stock wheels and rear venetian blind. smile.gif Tough enough for any P plater who is most likely going to hit and ding several, if not all the panels. You'll be the coolest kid in your group.

lil_foy
Post #68

QUOTE(turbomarch @ Sep 20 2008, 10:20 PM) [snapback]1282902363[/snapback]

a set of cams to open up the vvl feature? wtf, even the poverty vz-r model runs 280' duration cams standard. that's pretty fuckin huge cam specs imo, for a stocko 1.6L.. have to agree thou, there's fuck all available in the way of aftermarket parts for the ve engines.

Thats on the high cam.
SR16VE

Intake cam
Low Intake Duration: 200
Low Intake Lift: 7.1
Low Intake Center Angle: 100

Low Lobe Center Angle: 111
Low Overlap: 0

High Intake Duration: 280
High Intake Lift: 11.1
High Intake Center Angle: 100

High Lobe Center Angle: 105
High Overlap: 70

Exhaust cam
Low Exhaust Duration: 244
Low Exhaust Lift: 7.95
Low Exhaust Center Angle:122

High Exhaust Duration: 280
High Exhaust Lift: 11.1
High Exhaust Center Angle:110

The low cam is small as fuck.
I cant remember when it changes onto vvl but having 80degree duration and 4mm more of lift (intake) would dip the power badly unless it was already revving fairly hard, basicly making vvl useless because if you're only on it for 2grand "example" then I dont see the point.

Which is why I said get some cams. You could set the vvl earlier optimising the powerband of the larger cam.

ITS2EZ
Post #69

didnt read all posts but nissa ceffy is another. the rb20de. also the toyota ke70 rollas.work on them suspension and body wise for 3 yrs and then chuck an sr / 4agte and ull b set
biggrin.gif stokers prob wud b around $500-any budget i guess

DAL32
Post #70

QUOTE(lil_foy @ Sep 22 2008, 02:22 PM) [snapback]1282908212[/snapback]

Thats on the high cam.
SR16VE

Intake cam
Low Intake Duration: 200
Low Intake Lift: 7.1
Low Intake Center Angle: 100

Low Lobe Center Angle: 111
Low Overlap: 0

High Intake Duration: 280
High Intake Lift: 11.1
High Intake Center Angle: 100

High Lobe Center Angle: 105
High Overlap: 70

Exhaust cam
Low Exhaust Duration: 244
Low Exhaust Lift: 7.95
Low Exhaust Center Angle:122

High Exhaust Duration: 280
High Exhaust Lift: 11.1
High Exhaust Center Angle:110

The low cam is small as fuck.
I cant remember when it changes onto vvl but having 80degree duration and 4mm more of lift (intake) would dip the power badly unless it was already revving fairly hard, basicly making vvl useless because if you're only on it for 2grand "example" then I dont see the point.

Which is why I said get some cams. You could set the vvl earlier optimising the powerband of the larger cam.

You know, you could make a fast car by just fucking off the VVL altogether and running 280deg cams! I'm sure the Nissan engineers know what they are doing... a Honda VTEC kicks in (yo) at 5800, redline usually maybe 8200 or 8500 in stock form (?). So if the VVL kicks in at around the same RPM then it would have the same driveability as the Honda. Increasing the duration of the low cam will just make the car slightly faster and adjust the low end powerband. Obviously the 200deg low cam is a good duration for making max power before the cams switch over, which is why changing the "kick in" point is a dumb idea unless you've built the engine to a certain spec with certain cams.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x