Page 1 of 24
Jump to page
matt mead
  • matt mead
  • Budding User
  • Member No.: 107,495
Post #1 post 25th March 2008 - 05:07 AM
hello all,

Ive had my DSLR for around 3 months now and really getting into Motorsport Photography

i use a canon 350d with 18-55mm kit lense and 55-250mm is lense.

here are some images:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

enjoy!!!

Im in the process of completing my website/blog which can be found at www.matthewmead.net and will be completed in the next few weeks and will see regulary updates.

more of my work can be found on my Flickr portfolio at http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewmead/

i hope you can spare some time to check them out.

thank you

Matthew Mead

--------------------
www.matthewmead.com.au Photography Site
Nick_
Post #2

Ahh I have wondered if that hot4's guy ever bothered to rebuild go180. Looks good.

Nice pics, plenty of nice pics in your gallery, so much so it got boring because they were all decent tongue.gif. Nice low shutter speed getting the feel of moving, blurred wheels etc, nice shots of the smoke and the fezza. Good work.

matt mead
Post #3

hahah thanks mate...you think there are alot of pictures in my gallery u should see my hard drive..

thanks for your kind words wink.gif

Zeeute
Post #4

Great pictures champ smile.gif Keep up the good work!

matt mead
Post #5

thanks mate wink.gif

Nick_
Post #6

You should keep the exif data in your shots so I can read it and learn.

matt mead
Post #7

That’s weird i do!! i got nothing to hide smile.gif and plus thats how i learn as well.... i use this program to look at exif data: http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html.

Also if you dont want to do that, you can look in my flickr. You just click on an image and on the bottom right hand side where it states what camera i use, you can click on a heading called "more properties" and it will have all the information in there aswell wink.gif let me know if you have any issues wink.gif

Also I have updates my website, just need to update the “contact” page and “about” page.

You can find the link here www.matthewmead.net

And please let me know what you think!!!! cheers

matt mead
Post #8

any comments??

chris_F
Post #9

nice website mate.

It goes to show that the photographer not the equipment makes the photo. You've got some professional looking shots and panning skills are great.

Keep it up smile.gif

matt mead
Post #10

thanks mate wink.gif ive seen some of your work on dieselstation smile.gif no wonder your shoot for hpi... amazing stuff smile.gif

matt mead
Post #11

Some of my photography has been featured on an online blog...which im really excited about.

here is a screen shot:
IPB Image

And the full article can be found here:

http://kultivate.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/australian-180sx/

mz20_drifter
Post #12

awesome pics mate

Nick_
Post #13

Nice work!

Read the blog and watched the video, this guy as really quick, you're lucky you can pan with him and still focused photos!

matt mead
Post #14

thanks guys im pretty sure some more of my photos will be featured on there in the next couple of days..

im going to a state motorkhana round 2morrow so i s hould have some more pics then aswell

Ghetto Panda
Post #15

Well the last two shots you posted are extremely good, great angles and shutter but all your photos seem very blue i don't know if it's a editing thing but yeah.

Lance
Post #16

I am guessing white balance.

Ghetto Panda
Post #17

Thats what i thought but he has Auto WB and i would think that the camera would'nt be so blue.

matt mead
Post #18

yeah i have noticed this aswell... i think its due to using to much contrast..in pp and alittle bit of wb aswell... its something i have to work on smile.gif

matt mead
Post #19

Nsw state motorkhana..

I was actually competeing in this event in my own car.. but i thought i would take out the camera anyway and see what i could capture.. i ended up taking 160 odd photos lol.

ill keep it down to only a few images tongue.gif...but these where taken using canon 350d with 55-250is lense..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

rest of the images can be found here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewmead/s...57604410534983/

hope you like and let me know what you think!!

Lance
Post #20

Only thing I can see wrong with those pics is a lack of a polariser, the panning is great, focus is spot on. Nice work.

#8 is a killer shot.

matt mead
Post #21

thanks lance wink.gif much appreciated... could u briefly explain the effects of a polariser and the benefits of it for this situation smile.gif still kinda new to all this ..

cheers mate

Zeeute
Post #22

QUOTE(matt mead @ Apr 7 2008, 10:25 PM) [snapback]1282157690[/snapback]

thanks lance wink.gif much appreciated... could u briefly explain the effects of a polariser and the benefits of it for this situation smile.gif still kinda new to all this ..

cheers mate

For out door shots, your going to end up having the sun bugging you for some reason or another... There are lens filters which go over the top of your existing UV Filter or the like. You can buy them from pretty much any camera shop, but if I were you, id buy them from ebay... You just put it over the top and the twist it for more or less polarize smile.gif

Let me know if you need any help finding one thumbsup.gif

Danzig
Post #23

Great shots mate smile.gif

matt mead
Post #24

QUOTE(Zeeute @ Apr 7 2008, 10:38 PM) [snapback]1282157804[/snapback]

For out door shots, your going to end up having the sun bugging you for some reason or another... There are lens filters which go over the top of your existing UV Filter or the like. You can buy them from pretty much any camera shop, but if I were you, id buy them from ebay... You just put it over the top and the twist it for more or less polarize smile.gif

Let me know if you need any help finding one thumbsup.gif

oh ok but what real effect do they have?? stop the sun fro washing out the colour in the background??

i never really take consideration of where the sun is in my pictures...i now know it washes out the background...so i think i need to take it in to consideration...maybe ill get a polarize when im forced to shoot into the sun..

Nick_
Post #25

Yeah they basically kill reflections and glare like sunnies so most of those photos would be clearer and you'd have a blue sky, not a white, burnt-out sky. I guess they're really a must for this type of photography as they'd probably make your shots a lot better.

Circular polarizers are the best I've been told, and I too agree with the eBay type, they can get pretty expensive when you are buying 2 or 3 to suit your different lens diameters. I too am yet to buy them for my new lenses. I believe a quick work around is shooting a stop under-exposed and bringing it back with raw saves some colour, yet to see if that's true or not, just something I've been told.

I think your shiz it tops, I'd be stoked if the only thing I had to improve on was something as simple as getting a polarizer.

matt mead
Post #26

Oh ok thanks for all your help guys...im going to sus it out and see...might buy one this week to test out this weekend at a skid pan day...

trust me nick i still have heaps to learn smile.gif but thanks for your kind words wink.gif

Lance
Post #27

I use a Cokin 77mm Cir-Polariser, Cost me $113 but worth every cent. Although, I think I might be getting a B+W Cir-Polariser, and some ND filters for my landscape work.

My advice is buy Cokin or Hoya. Worth the money.

TD 06
Post #28

hoya all the way

matt mead
Post #29

Was bored so went out for a 6pm panning practise session... used high ISO and low shutter..so there is abit of noise.. not the best of conditions... going to go to the same spot on saturday during th day i think..

IPB Image
Camera: Canon EOS 350D Digital
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 123 mm
ISO Speed: 800

IPB Image
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 154 mm
ISO Speed: 400

IPB Image
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/5
Focal Length: 131 mm
ISO Speed: 800

ronald_r32
Post #30

handheld or using a mono pod? The one of the van turned out real well.

Ghetto Panda
Post #31

Last pan is extremely good for 1/30th.

Zeeute
Post #32

Picture of the van turned out really well mate!!!
Rear of BMW bit blurred, Mazda and Berina turned out okay too smile.gif

Ill be very interested if you pulled the shot of the van without a tripod/monopod smile.gif

matt mead
Post #33

thanks guys...all handheld smile.gif i was actually testing out my new battery grip...and the extra weight makes it easy to get good pans happening..

ive never actually used a monopod.. i think it will just get in my way..

the cars where going along a highway with an 80km/h speed limit...its a perfect spot to practice panning...im going back on saturday to try in the day...

also note... that out of the 250 shots that i took... only about 50 where worth keeping...but that was mostly due to the poor lighting... i think ill be more successful during the day

matt mead
Post #34

Abit more practice of panning today...i have a big weekend coming up, time attack event at oran park on saturday and historics at eastern creek on sunday...cant wait smile.gif

anyway, success rate was alot better today id say 80% came out good, all handheld..

IPB Image

Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 70 mm

IPB Image

Aperture: f/14
Focal Length: 146 mm

this one turned out funky lol

IPB Image

Aperture: f/20
Focal Length: 179 mm

Matyi
Post #35

Some awesome photos there mate. Nice work!

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 24
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x