How To: Guard Flaring  

Page 2 of 2
Jump to page
DAN-O
Post #36

In the second pic it looks like the directional arrow on the side wall is facing the wrong way lol....good job overall tho guys, got the job done...

Zeeute
Post #37

nice little write up mate smile.gif looks good too! Well done

warney
Post #38

QUOTE(mooky @ Feb 10 2008, 10:39 PM) [snapback]1281914800[/snapback]

Show us yours ? Ohh thats right you aint done it before

man i woulndt be a smart ass when what you did is not a good way to do it ,,, it is what it is ,a really ruff way to do it if that is all you are wanting for you car then cut and silicone a way but you cant hide the fact ,that way is ruff

You mean in your opinion ???? What make me a smart ass ? because i dont agree with you ? I htink its a derent way and it has worked , most panel shops would do exactly the same thing. The silicon is prolly so you dont cut your hands. I think its good and thats what i think , you can think what you like

SHEEP2NV
Post #39

looks hot

NISMOgemini
Post #40

fark thats rough.. ill put money down to say it cracks/falls apart before santa come next... i own a gemini and even thats to dodgy for a me. iv done less rough glassing/bogging and its cracked in under 6 months...

NURVUS
Post #41

Have to agree.. it won't last very long unfortunately as described by the cracking.
Just another tip- fibre glass and bog don't take too well to paint. Sand it to bare metal, preferably using a course sanding disc, inturn giving the panel a course/rough feel to give the bog or glass something to bite to.

For a quick, cheap and easy short term fix though.. perfect! I've seen many car yards do far worse repairs than this.

mooky
Post #42

You mean in your opinion ????

if someone with a brand new m3 wanted their guards flared would you have done it the same way????????

i'd fuckin hope not,

51NAA
Post #43

came up rather nice smile.gif

to bad for the ones with fiberglass panels tongue.gif

LOW70Y
Post #44

QUOTE(warney @ Feb 11 2008, 08:50 PM) [snapback]1281917633[/snapback]

I htink its a derent way and it has worked , most panel shops would do exactly the same thing. The silicon is prolly so you dont cut your hands. I think its good and thats what i think

i hope the work on the rest of the car is better.

"most" panels shops wouldnt do that. the silicon was there to seal it up, at least they could of used sikaflex or do they like rust because it adds to the "coolness" rolleyes.gif of the shitbox in question.

largesuzy
Post #45

QUOTE(LOW70Y @ Mar 28 2008, 09:46 AM) [snapback]1282105693[/snapback]

"most" panels shops wouldnt do that. the silicon was there to seal it up, at least they could of used sikaflex or do they like rust because it adds to the "coolness" rolleyes.gif of the shitbox in question.

its a car thats main purpose is drift the first set of tires that he pops will destroy the gaurds no matter how he does them

LOW70Y
Post #46

a popped tyre will destroy that because there aint fuck all holdin it together

troyrotor
Post #47

QUOTE(LOW70Y @ Mar 28 2008, 09:46 AM) [snapback]1282105693[/snapback]

you got any idea wat sikaflex is???

LOW70Y
Post #48

yeah i do. it wont create rust on bare metal like normal silican will. it also stick alot better than the normal shit

5000BE
Post #49

turned out good, nice work.

nomcice
Post #50

fuck uleh thats mad shit, i loved the finish product, is that grinding some weight reduction on the sprint dog or wah? like thats just mad man. i cant wait till we see some drift damage and all the bog comes out and cracks and like fully sick

Robo_001
Post #51

hhaha mate you wouldnt know shit from clay ay.

been drifting it since this was done, qr plenty of times, guards still take a hit with a hammer, so yer u better take ur shithouse bent ass integra and get fucked hahaha vtec @#$!

modify_guy
Post #52

haha there are sum fuckin idiots gettin around in these forums... lol good job guys smile.gif this is great for those of us that love gettin our hands dirty and actually doing modifications to our cars ourselves smile.gif i'm actually half considering hacking into the subie tongue.gif lol don't worry about them other lads givin u shit, they've probs never changed a tyre lol good write-up!
Cheers, Tom

tatus
Post #53

How to: guard flaring, jesus wept! if you're happy with that mate that's all that counts but please don't tell people this is how we panelbeaters would do it cause that mate, is a fuggin lie!!!

haven't got a step by step set of instructions sorry but this is the LR flare on my SS hatch which I planished (think that's what you call "stretching the fuck out of") once the inner panel is hit out to meet the outer. A standard hatchback flare is almost straight down, I've planished mine out an inch and a half then reformed the original outer lip to keep the "standard" look. I can take the springs out and sit it on the bump stops and push the car back and forth and have about 3mm clearance from the tyre all the way up the sidewall (those hotwires are 14 x 9 1/4). and no cuts were made, or welds, or fibreglass and if the small amount of filler exceeds about 3mm anywhere, I'll stand rooting. and as far as how long it will last, this photo is fairly recent and I flared those guards about 18 years ago when I was just out of my panelbeating apprenticeship. Go you for havin a crack mate but just don't think your post belongs in the Boostcruising.com > Technical > Technical Articles / How-To / FAQ > How To: section.

70XIN
Post #54

tatus: let's start by saying, the bible is actually the 'three wise men's' joke book, i don't believe in jesus or anything similar.

i never ever said this is the way panelbeaters do it....

by planished, you mean you used various dolly's and a hammer? whoopie. welcome to the first week of a basic course on panelbeating...

a few of my "bogan" friends own an LX hatch, which i helped work on over the last few years (which your pic looks very much like one, forgive me if i'm wrong). we ended up with a result very similar to yours, using a heat gun when necessary, and using a range of dolly's and interestingly shaped hammers from a closing down hotrod panelbeaters

the wheels on THIS particular car were very very far out of the guards, were going to get bashed up drifting anyway, so we saw no reason to spend a week on them. in fact, we had two days prior to the drift day to start, finish, and semi-paint them. that included drying time for fibreglass, body filler, multiple coats of primer, and topcoat...

you're probably a panel-beater yourself, hence why you feel the need to "have a go" at a few teenagers to make yourself seem .. better?

i think this guide belongs here, as a pov way for drifters and the like to fit ridiculous wheels, and until you can make a guide shitload better to replace it, get fisted smile.gif your attitude sucks more dick than paris hilton

Driftlab
Post #55

QUOTE(70XIN @ Jul 21 2008, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1282634320[/snapback]

you're probably a panel-beater yourself, hence why you feel the need to "have a go" at a few teenagers to make yourself seem .. better?

i think this guide belongs here, as a pov way for drifters and the like to fit ridiculous wheels, and until you can make a guide shitload better to replace it, get fisted smile.gif your attitude sucks more dick than paris hilton

toxin that turned out clean as smile.gif me and a mate used some bolt on fibreglass flares but were werent happy with the bolts so we glassed over them thumbsup.gif they came out a treat

70XIN
Post #56

actually its one of those "good from afar, but far from good" things haha

ended up replacing them with origin fibreglass ones

but now that he's sick of those, we are welding on some sheetmetal and doing it the "proper" way smile.gif

tatus
Post #57

QUOTE(70XIN @ Jul 21 2008, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1282634320[/snapback]

tatus: let's start by saying, the bible is actually the 'three wise men's' joke book, i don't believe in jesus or anything similar.

i never ever said this is the way panelbeaters do it....

by planished, you mean you used various dolly's and a hammer? whoopie. welcome to the first week of a basic course on panelbeating...

a few of my "bogan" friends own an LX hatch, which i helped work on over the last few years (which your pic looks very much like one, forgive me if i'm wrong). we ended up with a result very similar to yours, using a heat gun when necessary, and using a range of dolly's and interestingly shaped hammers from a closing down hotrod panelbeaters

the wheels on THIS particular car were very very far out of the guards, were going to get bashed up drifting anyway, so we saw no reason to spend a week on them. in fact, we had two days prior to the drift day to start, finish, and semi-paint them. that included drying time for fibreglass, body filler, multiple coats of primer, and topcoat...

Yes mate I am a bogan panelbeater with an LX hatch and when it comes to panelbeating I'm not making myself seem better, I just am better. With a ticket and 25years experience to prove it. Sorry if my reply pissed you off mate but I just didn't want other boys with no idea to see this and think this was the only way to do it. And I actually have a pretty fucken good attitude towards improving cars, just not big on fuckin em.

pipster11
Post #58

thats not as bas as the clip on youtube of the asian drifter who gets a sign post pole and rolls it about in the guard by driving back and forth with it ontop of the wheel

jared_pulse
Post #59

id fuk up real bad doin that myself tongue.gif

Timmyp34
Post #60

thats an awsome way to do it. well on a drift pig.

did u guys weld/tac all the gaps up before boging it?

fulloc
Post #61

the easiest way to get a good inch or more from the standard guards is to heat them with a blowtorch then roll with a pipe or beat out with a mallet. that way you can remove the 10mm+ of lip and turn it into extra flare. i did mine with a mallet and only needed a very thin skim of bog to smooth. obviously not the proper way but easily finished in a day.

"until you can make a guide shitload better to replace it, get fisted your attitude sucks" X 2

nizpro
Post #62

interesting?

<<<<<<<

r32jet
Post #63

sht that turned out pretty good
nice work bro iz ur car rwd?
enjoy ur new flares

YOGI-CHILLN
Post #64

thats not the best way to do that, buy a welder !

Driftlab
Post #65

QUOTE (pipster11 @ Aug 11 2008, 08:00 AM) *
thats not as bas as the clip on youtube of the asian drifter who gets a sign post pole and rolls it about in the guard by driving back and forth with it ontop of the wheel

Are you fucking serious?

That crazy jap happens to know his shit.

35NIK
Post #66

I worked out how to make fiberglass dry really quick, Just add too much catalyst to the mix & watch it dry before you get it on the bodykit... hehehe it dried my paintbrush in the can I was mixing it in... & started smoking chemical out of the can too.

TeAm_SlidEWayZ
Post #67

welder would have been good but nice finish anyways

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 2
Jump to page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x