Post #41

QUOTE (Fossil001 @ Aug 21 2013, 03:58 PM) *
Cannonball Fairlaine
cannonball 2 toner entrant

Draven
Post #42

QUOTE (Fossil001 @ Aug 21 2013, 04:58 PM) *
Cannonball Fairlaine

Thats not a Fairlane, looks more like a Falcon...

.Tim.
Post #43

QUOTE (Draven @ Aug 21 2013, 09:09 PM) *
Thats not a Fairlane, looks more like a Falcon...

When you're not being condescending c**t, you're being a know-it-all c**t.

Indicators are clearly ZF Fairlane, google searching will also confirm... ermahgerd... zf fairlane.

Draven
Post #44

QUOTE (.Tim. @ Aug 21 2013, 10:37 PM) *
When you're not being condescending c**t, you're being a know-it-all c**t.

Indicators are clearly ZF Fairlane, google searching will also confirm... ermahgerd... zf fairlane.

And Google XA Falcon... and with it have IXA-834, makes me also think its an XA Falcon... Same blinkers etc... It is hard to tell exactly what it is with aftermarket head lights and grill...

So instead of flying ff the handle like a spoilt child have a good look sweetheart smile.gif

One another note... What was the Tonner running? was the second axle a lazy one... guessing it would have been...

vk134
Post #45

QUOTE (Draven @ Aug 21 2013, 09:53 PM) *
And Google XA Falcon... and with it have IXA-834, makes me also think its an XA Falcon... Same blinkers etc... It is hard to tell exactly what it is with aftermarket head lights and grill...

So instead of flying ff the handle like a spoilt child have a good look sweetheart smile.gif

One another note... What was the Tonner running? was the second axle a lazy one... guessing it would have been...

could be just coincidence IXA -834 can be a vic reg vehicle from 1974 to 1977, I would take a stab at around late 76 as I wrecked out a vic reg Torana that was IXJ prefix.

I would be pretty certain that was a lazy axle, I've never seen a live axle 6 wheeler.

I would say Fairlane for a long distance race, they were the weapon of choice for most graziers etc, longer wheelbase made them a bit more stable when hauling along.

Draven
Post #46

QUOTE (vk134 @ Aug 21 2013, 11:25 PM) *
could be just coincidence IXA -834 can be a vic reg vehicle from 1974 to 1977, I would take a stab at around late 76 as I wrecked out a vic reg Torana that was IXJ prefix.

I would be pretty certain that was a lazy axle, I've never seen a live axle 6 wheeler.

I would say Fairlane for a long distance race, they were the weapon of choice for most graziers etc, longer wheelbase made them a bit more stable when hauling along.

Yeah true, but like i said with the modified grill, headlights and grainy pic its very hard to tell as they do look similar from that angle... just saying what i think, if some people don't like tuff shit lol

Yeah thats why i thought it would be a lazy axle as well but hey anything is possible right??? lol

wolfman101
Post #47

I feel a bit bad that Drave is copping such a serve, so I thought I'd poke my head in just so SOMEONE gets butt-raped harder than him. EVERYONE hates me, amirite??

Mcleod
Post #48

It's been interesting reading a spirited debate without too much name calling tongue.gif

Draven
Post #49

Its simple Wolfman, just say what you think, a lot of people don't like it when others speak out about something...

wolfman101
Post #50

hmmm....ummm....I...I don't like cars with manual transmissions!!

Draven
Post #51

nah you just rather paddles provoke.gif

Flash635
Post #52

That's an XA. The indicator and the shape and width of the top of the guard.

Shuffs
Post #53

As I stated before,there are videos of this car on You Tube,but whether it is a problem with Boost or You Tube they will not post up on this site.
If you go to You tube,and type in GENUINE 1984 CANNONBALL RUN RACE CAR,then click on the top video (Draven you will love the sound)
it shows the car sitting idling with the bonnet up for a few seconds before he drives it,so maybe this will settle this argument.
The video below it,is just the car idling,showing the blower (which I think Fearless managed to post,but only appears on the mobile site)
This makes me think the posting problem is with Boost.

vk134
Post #54

QUOTE (wolfman101 @ Aug 21 2013, 10:45 PM) *
hmmm....ummm....I...I don't like cars with manual transmissions!!

Lol, ok i'll bite, "two pedals are for paddleboats".........

My everyday cars, whatever that is at the time, will always be auto, ecobox, safety and functionality, my 4x4 choice will always be turbo diesel auto as 95% of it's offroad use is on the beach. I would never own a commodore v6 auto, they are the worst auto I have ever driven, the development team must have never test driven one in an overtaking test.

My performance car choice has always been a manual as my budget does not stretch to DSG and other high tech autos. The flappy paddle thing is addictive when doing a nice stretch like Mt Glorious or Mt Nebo, but I shudder to think of the repair costs in future for these cars.

There are some very shit manuals, t56 anyone? and I have driven some brilliant manual valve bodied autos, so I don't really give a toss either way, but a faceplate shifting hollinger would be nice thumbsup.gif

vk134
Post #55

QUOTE (Draven @ Aug 21 2013, 10:30 PM) *
Yeah true, but like i said with the modified grill, headlights and grainy pic its very hard to tell as they do look similar from that angle... just saying what i think, if some people don't like tuff shit lol

Yeah thats why i thought it would be a lazy axle as well but hey anything is possible right??? lol

Just saw the vid, I'm guessing Fairlane/LTD as the bonnet has the ugly front protrusion, headlight XE ESP as they would have been the shit at the time, the rest of the grille abortion I have NFI.

The other giveaways are LTD/Landau mirrors, chrome with internal adjustments, but cannot see the quarter panels to see if ZF/G Fairlane or P5 LTD, just my observations, I haven't had much to do with Fords, maybe you can see other things.

Those lazy axle 6 wheelers were all the rage with the tradies in the 80's, FN pos used to get stuck on steep driveways as the drive wheels lifted off the ground. They needed to be like the euro tucks, the extra wheels are raised when unladed for fuel economy and wear and tear reasons.

Shuffs
Post #56

QUOTE (vk134 @ Aug 22 2013, 10:22 AM) *
Just saw the vid, I'm guessing Fairlane/LTD as the bonnet has the ugly front protrusion, headlight XE ESP as they would have been the shit at the time, the rest of the grille abortion I have NFI.

Good,I knew if anyone would take the time to actually go looking for it,it would be you thumbsup.gif
Did it seem to you that it had an auto box,or was it just clunky?I was just trying to imagine what sort of fuel
consumption it would've had with that big,blown hammer and an auto box.Fuel stops would've been frequent.
Hopefully Mcleod will be able to fix the video problem soon for all the lazy pricks

Shuffs
Post #57

OK,now sort your arguments out hsdance.gif

fearlesss
Post #58

QUOTE (wolfman101 @ Aug 21 2013, 10:32 PM) *
I feel a bit bad that Drave is copping such a serve, so I thought I'd poke my head in just so SOMEONE gets butt-raped harder than him. EVERYONE hates me, amirite??

If he wasn't such a jackass to the OP who is obviously newish to the site and shares a great passion for cars. Everyone would have left him alone. Or at least said sorry. But I guess not everyone can admit when they are wrong. But hell its just the internet no ones really getting upset tongue.gif

Everyone doesn't hate you woldman ! Just non of us have as much money or the same taste tongue.gif

fearlesss
Post #59

Shuffs those are same videos I posted on the first page. I don't think that's the same car as the one pictured in the first thread ?

Shuffs
Post #60

QUOTE (fearlesss @ Aug 22 2013, 11:22 AM) *
Shuffs those are same videos I posted on the first page. I don't think that's the same car as the one pictured in the first thread ?

Anyone who wasn't on the mobile site could not see your video posts,as there was a problem with Boost(that you even acknowledged) ,which has now been fixed.Yep,sorry my bad,just checked,and now that it's fixed your vids are showing.The one we have both posted of the blower and the one I posted of it driving
have been put on You Tube by the same person,if you check the spiel and username on YT.

fearlesss
Post #61

Lol sorry I wasn't having a go at you for reposting them smile.gif Do you think they are the same car though ?

The bonnet is different, the grill is different, there's a lot of things that are different on it . Is that what these guys are arguing about ? I'll be honest I don't know anything about old fords and holdens

vk134
Post #62

QUOTE (fearlesss @ Aug 22 2013, 11:02 AM) *
Lol sorry I wasn't having a go at you for reposting them smile.gif

Do you think they are the same car though ?

The bonnet is different, the grill is different, there's a lot of things that are different on it . Is that what these guys are arguing about ?

I'll be honest I don't know anything about old fords and holdens

same rego (check blower vid ) and ultra shit styling, I'd say it had the poxy alloy roo bar for the run.

by the other vid it appears to be a pretty sluggish old auto, by the revs, running 2.7 or 3.9 gears and with a rough as guts blower setup and clunky old holleys, probably the 25/30l per 100kmh at 250kmh, not sure why the need for a blower, maybe mad max fanatasies. I had a run with a phase 3 GTHO and we were both running 3.0 gears, we could both sit on 220-230kmh even up long uphill sections and we both maxed out at around 245kmh on the dead flat, the GTHO was getting very floaty at that speed, so from my experience, 250 kmh is about the limit for an road legal Australian built sedan.

The XA's felt much better at speed, LWB Fairlane would be better, I had a shitty XA GT and it sat ok, but it could only pull 220 at the most, I had a bit of a play with that XA phase 4 when Robb Mann owned it before Bowdens got it; from a rolling 60kmh start, both cars were dead even, every gear, the noise was awesome, but it was a short road, so only hit 220kmh, still both pulling hard, before we had to drop back and act sensible due to other traffic.

Fossil001
Post #63

Here is interior shot from the video that I cant seem to post.... Clearly ZF . Also photo of competitors car park

Shuffs
Post #64

QUOTE (fearlesss @ Aug 22 2013, 12:02 PM) *
Lol sorry I wasn't having a go at you for reposting them smile.gif

Do you think they are the same car though ?

The bonnet is different, the grill is different, there's a lot of things that are different on it . Is that what these guys are arguing about ?

I'll be honest I don't know anything about old fords and holdens

Mate if you were two years old when this happened,then I was older than you are now,when it happened,so I don't know many computer tricks.
If you watch the short blower vid I posted,and pause it at 24 seconds,then slide down to that picture,you can see it is the same vehicle right down to the
number plate.He has relocated the spot lights and added a bull bar,but it is the same vehicle in both videos which were both done in mid 2010
26 years after the event,so it's not going to be in the same condition as Fossils screen capture.
Edit:Another problem with being an old fart....very slow one finger typing as you can see.

Fossil001
Post #65

QUOTE (vk134 @ Aug 22 2013, 11:40 AM) *
same rego (check blower vid ) and ultra shit styling, I'd say it had the poxy alloy roo bar for the run.

by the other vid it appears to be a pretty sluggish old auto, by the revs, running 2.7 or 3.9 gears and with a rough as guts blower setup and clunky old holleys, probably the 25/30l per 100kmh at 250kmh, not sure why the need for a blower, maybe mad max fanatasies.

I had a run with a phase 3 GTHO and we were both running 3.0 gears, we could both sit on 220-230kmh even up long uphill sections and we both maxed out at around 245kmh on the dead flat, the GTHO was getting very floaty at that speed, so from my experience, 250 kmh is about the limit for an road legal Australian built sedan.

The XA's felt much better at speed, LWB Fairlane would be better, I had a shitty XA GT and it sat ok, but it could only pull 220 at the most, I had a bit of a play with that XA phase 4 when Robb Mann owned it before Bowdens got it; from a rolling 60kmh start, both cars were dead even, every gear, the noise was awesome, but it was a short road, so only hit 220kmh, still both pulling hard, before we had to drop back and act sensible due to other traffic.

Just a little note: From what I was told, the Fairlaine only made it to Castlemaine and was towed the rest of the way

eXo
Post #66

so Fossil001 - about the prize money, did you ever follow it up? where did it all end up?

Shuffs
Post #67

QUOTE (Fossil001 @ Aug 22 2013, 01:24 PM) *
Just a little note: From what I was told, the Fairlaine only made it to Castlemaine and was towed the rest of the way

So it managed to do roughly 100klms out of a 3,500klm trip,and was then towed the remaining 3,400klms....why?

vk134
Post #68

QUOTE (Fossil001 @ Aug 22 2013, 11:50 AM) *
Here is interior shot from the video that I cant seem to post.... Clearly ZF . Also photo of competitors car park

could that top photo be from something else?, body colour on door and pillar look beige, you can see the chrome belt moulding though, AFAIK Fairlanes had chrome trim, door frames and B pillars.

Is the green car in the lower pic a 356 porsche?, I can see the dirty old XT's they were worthless by 85, the VH sle would have been quiet new, the HX panno would have been getting long in the tooth as well, the black on in front of the VH looks like a HQ, interesting mix

Shuffs
Post #69

Funny,I was thinking Jag,but now you've said that,I agree with you.Would be great to see the actual video.

Fossil001
Post #70

QUOTE (eXo @ Aug 22 2013, 12:49 PM) *
so Fossil001 - about the prize money, did you ever follow it up? where did it all end up?
Mongrel declared bankruptsy ... No one got paid.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x