Hq Ute Build Thread. - Another one!  

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
Be-Hating
Post #36

Eh, Each to their own imo. Depends on the body shape too.

OT:

Found out tonight some more about the ute, Before the guy I bought it off owned it a 15 year old kid owned it out in cecil plains. It did originally have a 253 with a 4 speed but it was changed to the current 179 and celica box.

The motor also has roller rockers as I found out tonight and also used to be running a 500 holley paired with a redline manifold.

Heres some pics of it's previous life:

And a better view of the quee front now on it:

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #37

so your painting the ute silver?

Be-Hating
Post #38

No white. The front end will be coming back off.

vk134
Post #39

QUOTE (Be-Hating @ Aug 5 2012, 07:23 PM) *
Haha I have no idea man, Hence why I'm changing it back.

I was thinking about this, Just sticker it up like the motor in the sedan but I also wouldn't mind dressing mine up like your's with the finned covers and what not. Still undecided.
I'm putting pursuits on or if I find a good set of convo et's cheap i'll slap those on.

P.s. I need you to order me wheel spacers and wheel nuts smile.gif

I saw that on ebay and can say I'm not really a fan, Maybe if it were a single light front and no visor haha. smile.gif

Won't need to change the hubs if I run spacers. Pursuit rims fit on the back fine, It's just the front.

Spacers are just illegal, not worth the hassle, 15 x7 pontiac GTS type rims look mint and in the HQ era. Single headlight, GTS rims with 235/65/15's would look spot on and be legal, but if you want to run pursuit rims, commodore hubs up front, and change rear diff to borg warner (banjo and cheesesticks be gone) and change stud pattern if can't get right axle length.

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #40

QUOTE (vk134 @ Aug 21 2012, 03:51 PM) *
Spacers are just illegal, not worth the hassle, 15 x7 pontiac GTS type rims look mint and in the HQ era. Single headlight, GTS rims with 235/65/15's would look spot on and be legal, but if you want to run pursuit rims, commodore hubs up front, and change rear diff to borg warner (banjo and cheesesticks be gone) and change stud pattern if can't get right axle length.

You do know the Pontiac rally rims or "GTS" as you cal them are basically exactly the same as the HQ GTS rims

vk134
Post #41

QUOTE (75 KINGSWOOD @ Aug 21 2012, 04:18 PM) *
You do know the Pontiac rally rims or "GTS" as you cal them are basically exactly the same as the HQ GTS rims

Yes, the centres are the same, different centre cap, but we only got the crappy 14x6 rims in australia, 2 different back spacings, HQ and the wider L34/A9X, you can get the 15x7 bands from ROH, we'll you used to be able to. I used to buy the gutter smacked rims and cut the centres out for this purpose, set them up on a wheel balacing machine to get them spot on before the final welding, then the long painting process........but they always looked great, 350 silver metallic and Charcoal grey blackouts.

Be-Hating
Post #42

QUOTE (vk134 @ Aug 21 2012, 02:51 PM) *

Eh, I'm not really a fan of the gts rims tbh. I'm leaning more towards running weld drag lites but finding a good set is hard. I want to look at my ute and get the tough impression from it and I don't think i'd get that from GTS rims haha. And running drag lites will also eliminate the whole running spacers thing.

CAM-327
Post #43

Centerline Autodrags, really low in the ass, 6cyl front springs, 90/10's in the front.

Instantly gives the tough impression.

joel you may have seen it, but theres a HQ ute getting around with PRO HQ on the plates. So tough.

Be-Hating
Post #44

Autodrags wouldn't be bad. And it doesn't look bad with them on too in the previous pictures ( well autodrag fakies anyway )

I have seen PRO HQ and it looks awesome. Love how much or the rear guard is filled but I don't think I'd run that stance with a 6 haha.

CAM-327
Post #45

Pfffft. I would. it'll look tough, and be p plate legal.

Be-Hating
Post #46

But that's you kent. sleep.gif

Anyway, After talking it over and photo chopping different things. This will be the end goal. Bit different from my first plans but eh.

nightcrawler
Post #47

Ah the old primer grey paint job , you will soon get sick of people asking you when your going to paint it lol

Be-Hating
Post #48

Haha won't be primer, It'll be silver. sh!t photo is sh!t.

hq statesman
Post #49

should get rid of the tourno cover and its hooks

Be-Hating
Post #50

Yeah ill be welding up the holes and just running no type of cover at all and also gts flutes in the guards.

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #51

QUOTE (Be-Hating @ Aug 22 2012, 11:26 AM) *
Yeah ill be welding up the holes and just running no type of cover at all and also gts flutes in the guards.

If your not putting a cover on it, definately get some "UPOL Raptor Liner", about $100-200 and your tray will look awesome

AZNPRIDE
Post #52

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Aug 5 2012, 08:22 PM) *
Find some original steelies you funking dero bitch.

Pursuit wheels look funking sh!t. They look sh!t as funk on your old mans statesman and they look sh!t as funk on anything else. Get some original steelies for funks sake, their not that hard to find and look a billion better.

And redwalls? The funk its not a funking XY Falcon. Get some damn whitewalls bitch.

Just go back to Neils and throw $40 in 10c coins at him and grab four HQ steelies. Jesus christ. Pursuit rims.. what the funk.

WOW!!! settle down speed racer, Pretty sure Joel is entitled to put what ever rims he wants on his car...

Considering you still owe me money for the steelies on your car, I'd shut your mouth.

BTW Joel, good progress pics....

CAM-327
Post #53

QUOTE (AZNPRIDE @ Aug 29 2012, 05:44 PM) *
WOW!!! settle down speed racer, Pretty sure Joel is entitled to put what ever rims he wants on his car...

Considering you still owe me money for the steelies on your car, I'd shut your mouth.

BTW Joel, good progress pics....

Oh burn. James you should know by now that Nick is tighter than a nuns box.

Be-Hating
Post #54

Hey all,

Bit of an update. I've since put lowering blocks in the rear and got some widened 8" stock rims for the rear and 5" for the front running 185's and 245's

How it currently sits with the new tyres:

Also, I went and bought another ute. This ones a rolling shell with a Prem front ( will be putting on a single headlight ) that I'll be using instead because it's rust free and paints fairly decent.

So now the plans are as follow's: Pull motor and box out of the blue ute, clean and paint it all and dump it in the white ute. Put my wheels on the white ute, change over the front springs and shocks and get all the little things worked out then get rego on it and drive it. Will do a resto on it when it actually needs it.

Be-Hating
Post #55

The utes home and wheels on!

CAM-327
Post #56

Neat.

Be-Hating
Post #57

Hey all,

Another update, Dad and I pulled the motor/ box and front springs/ shocks out of the blue ute last weekend and painted the motor and box.

Decided to paint the motor "Case paint" black and the manifold, extractors and alternator "Cast Iron" by VHT. I've also painted the rocker cover, thermostat housing, walking stick and a few other little things Wrinkle black. So this is how it sits now:

And this weekend so far I've pulled the head off and replaced it with a 186 High Compression YT head I picked up on friday and whilst swapping the heads I was confronted with some flat top pistons! I then measured the bores ( stock bore is 3.563 ) and they are currently at 3.645 so it's the tiniest bit just over a 186 ( .40 thou ) So that's pretty cool. Will be a tough little 179.

CAM-327
Post #58

Looks like i'm putting a bigger cam in mine now...

Gotta keep up somehow!

Be-Hating
Post #59

Haha James, Stop kidding yourself. I'd be lucky to keep up with you how it is now!

Anyway. Today was spent pulling out the old springs/shocks and replacing them with the springs/shocks out of the blue ute and also painted the chassis, Control arms, Stub axles, fire wall and surrounding areas. I was hoping for it to be satin black but it turned out being gloss black from some reason. sad.gif
But anyway, Here it is now. Motor/ box will be going in next week hopefully and the inner guards and radiator support will be painted during the week.

Front end off obviously.

After being degreased, hosed off and masked up it was ready to paint;

Painted, Springs/ shocks back in and back on wheels:

Shenanigans shot. Welcome to Ipswich.

Be-Hating
Post #60

Hey all.

Todays update;

Got the motor and box into the ute this weekend a got it running but was having problems with my 350 holley so I went and bought a 465 and redline manifold, Got that on and sorted it. Also have a few electrical problems but that's nothing major. I'll just drop it off at a sparkie when it's road worthy and get it sorted. And the only other problem is the tail shaft. Because the other ute had a banjo and this current ute has a 10 bolt the yokes wont fit, Obviously. So I'll have to get them changed if anyone knows decent place to get it done?

And here's a video of it running and some pics Enjoy! smile.gif

PIG208
Post #61

QUOTE (Be-Hating @ Aug 5 2012, 08:32 PM) *
HAHA funk off bitch. Finish a car and then you can have your opinion!

But yeah, No hq steelies. Every kingswood has kingswood steelies and it's funking boring. I like utes with pursuit rims so that's the go. If you find and buy me some convo et's I'll gladly put them on and burn the pursuits.

Are you running a commodore or HQ pattern diff?

Be-Hating
Post #62

Hq.

PIG208
Post #63

QUOTE (Be-Hating @ Oct 21 2012, 05:07 PM) *
Hq.

Be careful if running commodore rims, the difference in stud pcd has been known to snap studs

Be-Hating
Post #64

Pig: Yeah I know. If you look up previous posts in the thread it's all been discussed. smile.gif

Update: Haven't done much. Got the front end all back on it. I went and got my tailshaft re-sleeved, Rear yoke changed ( Because banjo yoke when I'm using a sal's diff ) new uni and etc but went to bolt it up and the uni caps don't fit. They're too big. So tomorrow I may be buying a Sal's LSD with 4.44 ratio that I'll put in and hopefully the uni caps will fit.

Today I welded up my exhaust. 2 1/4 through to muffler then I made my own dump tip then painted it all. How it is now it'll be dumped right before the diff. smile.gif

TwinCam16
Post #65

Well done on the work.

But i have to ask, you're worried about spacers being illegal yet you're happy to dump the exhaust in an illegal spot.

Be-Hating
Post #66

Thanks!

I was never worried about spacers being illegal. I'd run them If I were still going to run chaser rims. It's the others that made a fuss about it.

TwinCam16
Post #67

Ahh valid point.

Side question. Wouldn't the 650 have been WAY too big? We have a 600 / 650 on asias 308.

Be-Hating
Post #68

650? I'm running a 465. And it depends. If it's vac secondary it'd be fine because it's only using what it needs. But then again if the motor doesn't have the goods to support the carb even the primary's may flood it with out even using the secondarys.

TwinCam16
Post #69

Ahh ok, i thought i read earlier it was a 650.
All i know about carbs is NOT to lean over one while HSV is at the ignition and Asia has a can of start ya bastard in his hands.
I was looking for the injectors, crank angle sensor and computer...

PS - HI JAMES!

CAM-327
Post #70

Hi Shane!

All is looking good Joel, exhaust came up sweet. Can't wait to be cruising with ya!

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x