Hot Chilli - if you cant handle the heat stay out of the chilli patch  

Page 1 of 4
Jump to page
toomanytoys
  • toomanytoys
  • Budding User
  • Member No.: 177,092
Post #1 post 31st May 2012 - 08:23 PM
Ok so i know there's hot chilli fans on here. I searched but couldn't find a thread.

Iv'e been growing both red and yellow habs for a while now and well, Fresh they are fairly warm. Iv'e been trying to get my hands on some fresh Ghost or butch t's but haven't had much luck.
I did however get hold of some oven dried ones. Question is can i still grow from the seeds ? I'm trying anyway and ill let ya's know how it go's, in the mean time if any one has a supply let me know , I'd really love some to cultivate.

As for heat well i ate the Butch t Trinidad scorpion whole (dried). yes they're bloody hot, also had it in a steak bol. Also bloody hot. Iv'e just finished dinner which was spag bol with ghost chilli, and yep also very warm . . Feel free to leave experiences both good and bad smile.gif

I recently ate the pizza capers Inferno. definatley not for the light hearted, and strangely enough as i don't normally have any issue, it burnt my ring like a bastard the next day . .

Thankyou smile.gif

This post has been edited by toomanytoys: May 31 2012, 08:55 PM

--------------------
errr no im not blaming age im sayyin im stupid ... dnt hav an education buht if i wanted to waste time typeing everything perfect i wud
Manic 180
Post #2

Hi, I grow Bhut Jolokia's (Ghost chilli) I germinated them in rock wool from seeds as well as Habanaros (white and red)
I have some Butch t Trinidad scorpion seeds but haven't got around to growing them yet.

If your in Brisbane id be happy to hook you up with fresh Ghosts/

The ghosts still knock my socks off every time.

Had some pure capsicum extract a few months ago. That was good fun.

I buy all my seeds from here http://www.wildfirechilli.com.au/ and have had a 80% success rate on germination.

Nothingman
Post #3

Thats pretty awesome I didn't know there was a site dedicated to chilli growing.

I have some birds eyes and a few jalapinos which I've had for a few years now. Never bought seeds in the past just used a few chillies that had past their used date.

Worm water every now and again and regular water every night, easy as to grow and keep going.

toomanytoys
Post #4

[quote name='Manic 180' date='May 31 2012, 09:04 PM' post='1288373458']

Yes I'm in brissy and yes i'd loooove some fresh ghost's please, I'm more than happy to pay for them.
I recently candied a heap of habs, they are awsome. sweet but still bite very hard. I'm going to make the syrup into toffee as it retains a LOT of the heat but very little of the flavour.
Do the white habs have the same flavour, I like the heat but the taste becomes very overpowering, (worst part about megadeath sauce imo). ?

and cheers for the move.

Aarie
Post #5

Friends and I did a challenge at Hells Pizza in Brisbane (somewhere) Was eye wateringly hot. the four of us had to finish a whole pizza that was covered in chillis and the oily stuff the chillis were stored in (way hotter than the chillis themselves) with no drinks until the whole thing was done. I cried.

They do a Pizza routlette where once peice is really really really hot and the unlucky person gets it.

the shadow
Post #6

Hey manic, any decent chilli spos around brissy like your mob there from WA?
As a good mate of mine is a chilly freak, and was wanting to get im a ghost plant or hotter to grow, but the wildfire won't ship plants outside of WA sad.gif

WattsyLX
Post #7

I have nothing....

I find Nacho Cheese Doritos too hot! When it comes to spicy food, my bland Aussie guts just can't handle it! sad.gif

(mr2)
Post #8

A mate of mine has a website for growing chilli's

http://growingchillies.net/

gutless
Post #9

QUOTE (Manic 180 @ May 31 2012, 09:04 PM) *
Hi, I grow Bhut Jolokia's (Ghost chilli) I germinated them in rock wool from seeds as well as Habanaros (white and red)
I have some Butch t Trinidad scorpion seeds but haven't got around to growing them yet.

If your in Brisbane id be happy to hook you up with fresh Ghosts/

The ghosts still knock my socks off every time.

Had some pure capsicum extract a few months ago. That was good fun.

I buy all my seeds from here http://www.wildfirechilli.com.au/ and have had a 80% success rate on germination.

Sounds sooooo much like spam tongue.gif
starts with Hi,talks about stuff and ends with a ink laugh.gif

Twat In The Hat
Post #10

QUOTE (gutless @ Jun 1 2012, 01:02 AM) *
Sounds sooooo much like spam tongue.gif
starts with Hi,talks about stuff and ends with a ink laugh.gif

I want to look at your chilli but I can't because I work offshore so someone will come look at it on my behalf.

happycamper
Post #11

Last night I was like "funk it... imma get the medium heat old el Paso taco sauce."

Now that is reckless.

HSV
Post #12

Ghost Chilli- Con Carne = win!

fingerbanger
Post #13

I got Butch T seeds from the site that Manic mentioned.
Cheap and delivered pretty quickly. I can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit so i can plant them.
I also have 5 Habanero plants that fruit like they're on roids. Although they're a bit quiet at the moment with the colder weather.

I make my own sauce from the habs and a Thai dried chilli that i have and i can't wait to make one with the Butch T's.

jo88
Post #14

pizza capers inferno is very yummy. but heat wise its got nothin on the megadeath burger

Catapult
Post #15

I use ultradeath sauce, i was told that was about the same scoville rating as ghosts, can anyone confirm this?

It's shattering we cant get anything even nearly as hot as ghosts down here in ballarat

Draven
Post #16

QUOTE (WattsyLX @ May 31 2012, 10:43 PM) *
I have nothing....

I find Nacho Cheese Doritos too hot! When it comes to spicy food, my bland Aussie guts just can't handle it! sad.gif

Im pretty much the same, cant handle anything with a bit of a kick...

jo88
Post #17

QUOTE (Catapult @ Jun 1 2012, 09:53 AM) *
I use ultradeath sauce, i was told that was about the same scoville rating as ghosts, can anyone confirm this?

It's shattering we cant get anything even nearly as hot as ghosts down here in ballarat

get ya hands on some of this from the interwebs link

Catapult
Post #18

QUOTE (jo88 @ Jun 1 2012, 03:16 PM) *
get ya hands on some of this from the interwebs link

Hahaha what a pissa of a write up, i need this in my life!

toomanytoys
Post #19

I have megadeath sauce and tried the ultra death but the flavor is just too overbearing, i like the heat but the taste just gets disgusting. That's why i like the ghost and scorpions the flavor isn't as intense, (I assume fresh they might be a little stronger). you can still taste the food and the heat level is nearly extreem, though after reading through manics site there is a hotter 1 so ill be looking to buy some seeds.

GTS192
Post #20

I have a bottle of Chilli Factory Scorpion Strike, its amusing to see grown men cry, hiccup & vomit when they think they can handle it.

Manic 180
Post #21

Toomanytoys as soon as I get some good looking fruit ill post in here /pm you. No cash necessary!

The best hot sauce Ive found so far is 'daves insanity sauce'. Nice kick to it and a really nice flavor. The flesh of a fresh Bhut Jolokia is still the hottest thing Ive ever had.

As for full plants I wouldn't know, Ive always grown mine from seeds. Its good fun; you get a cool little kick when they sprout.

Nothingman
Post #22

If anyone would be willing to post around a chilli let me know, I'll happily post you back one of each of my plants.

Manic 180
Post #23

QUOTE (toomanytoys @ May 31 2012, 09:16 PM) *
Yes I'm in brissy and yes i'd loooove some fresh ghost's please, I'm more than happy to pay for them.

Found three ready to go, they are all yours.

happycamper
Post #24

QUOTE (happycamper @ Jun 1 2012, 07:40 AM) *
Last night I was like "funk it... imma get the medium heat old el Paso taco sauce."

Now that is reckless.

OH GOD IT BURNS WHY DID I GET THE MEDIUM IF ONLY I COULD TURN BACK TIME

tih2ho
Post #25

I found this on the interweb - awesome sauce its hot, but with a load of flavours before it kicks, just don't get it in your eye, burns for freaking hours!

Dragons Slayer Extreme Naga Chilli Sauce - 100ml

Designed to be the next up from Dragons Blood it seems to have worked well. With our 12Mshu extract it has one hell of a kick. Other ingredients make this a deceptive experience. Prunes, cherries and blueberries are sweet and misleading. The idea for it popped into my head one day but it took a year or so to find the ingredients. It is of course still packed with Naga 'Ghost Pepper' Bhut Jolokia Chillies.

Attached File  dragon6.jpg ( 6.41K ) Number of downloads: 6

http://www.chillipepperpete.com/products/C...ce_-_100ml.html

I really want to try this stuff too, but I am having trouble justifying about $100 for a tiny 30ml bottle

The Source Hot Sauce Extract. This is the hottest extract on earth. You must treat this product with respect. Only use as a food additive! This is a must for every chile head's shelf. The Source is 7.1 million Scoville Units

Attached File  source.jpg ( 33.69K ) Number of downloads: 9

toomanytoys
Post #26

i like the look of the dragon slayer.
I have mixed hab seeds in with mango chutny, gives a kick without the strong hab flovor

synesthesia
Post #27

I once saw some Naga Jolokia plants for sale one Saturday at the Rocklea markets, being sold by the guy who sells lots of large citrus and palms opposite the flower stall and music stage, up the top of the market past the mini ferris wheel near the entrance. I'm kicking myself that I never bought one.

My three orange habanero plants came from a different stall at Rocklea markets, a guy down the bottom end of the market opposite the fruit stalls who sells a lot of potted herbs. Those three plants have given me massive harvest this year and been much hardier than my jalapeno, firecracker, caysan and capsicum plants.

On the subject of chillies, does anyone have a local source for Chipotoles? I haven't found them anywhere, tried Campbells and every other place I can think of besides ordering online.

the shadow
Post #28

QUOTE (tih2ho @ Jun 2 2012, 07:24 PM) *
Dragons Slayer Extreme Naga Chilli Sauce - 100ml

Designed to be the next up from Dragons Blood it seems to have worked well. With our 12Mshu extract it has one hell of a kick. Other ingredients make this a deceptive experience. Prunes, cherries and blueberries are sweet and misleading.

Yes the two things I really look for in a chilly sauce lol
Thats asking for one MEGA red ring at high velocity putting prunes into the mix

toomanytoys
Post #29

i have 3 orange habs and a red, Funny thing is the 3 orange are all different, diff leaves diff looking plants. 2 grow the same looking fruit and the 3rd grows a longer peach colored fruit, more of a capsicum flavor still has the heat .
if you really like ya chilli though, i do suggest candying some its pretty easy 2 cups water 2 cups sugar. heat untill syrup. (careful with the heat it is sugar) chuck ya chilli's in and simmer (still low heat) untill they go clear. then remove from syrup allow to drain. chuck them on some wax paper and into oven on very low (like 40-60 degrees, you may need oven door open) for about 20 minutes. . . hard boiled chilli's biggrin.gif sweet crunchy and blow your mind . . .

Manic 180
Post #30

Tih2ho, capsicum extract acctually has no flavor. Just heat. I suppose it depends what your after but for me heat with out the flavor is pointless.

synesthesia
Post #31

Interesting. I have made habanero brownies and habanero shortbread before. The first batch of shortbread had way too much butter in it and was sloppy when it came out of the oven so the mrs mixed it with rolled oats and pie apples, making a nice habanero apple crumble out of it.

I have a high tolerance to chilli taste-wise, but my sinuses run constantly while I eat hot stuff.

The last two nights we have been eating a chili con carne I made in the slow cooker. It had rump steak, onion, capsicum, carrot, corn, red kidney beans, black turtle beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and beef stock. Spiced with cumin, turmeric, coriander, hot paprika, a cinnamon quill, smokey chilli relish, habanero, firecracker and caysan chillies. Served on brown rice with a very small sprinkle of grated cheese. I'm annoyed that my Mucho Nacho jalapeno plant has taken a turn for the worst lately otherwise they would have been in there too,

Might try out this Pizza Caper's Inferno.

toomanytoys
Post #32

rolleyes.gif cleaners are fast around here. . . yeah inferno pizza isnt bad. be warned of the morning after though . . .

VTR
Post #33

Is it true or a myth that chilli's differ in their potency based on the colour/size?

Cool.

toomanytoys
Post #34

QUOTE (VTR @ Jun 3 2012, 12:22 PM) *
Is it true or a myth that chilli's differ in their potency based on the colour/size?

Cool.

That would depend on your interpretation. A ripe chilli will be hotter than an unripe one, but a red birdseye will not be hotter than an unripe ghost. The main factor would be breed of chilli. .

VTR
Post #35

Ah so breed of chilli is the factor more so.

Given I hate chilli's I've always just glossed over the whole chilli subject.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 4
Jump to page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x