New Engine?  

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
MUZ
  • MUZ
  • Sometimes.... whens its really cold. or even a bit cold... i put
  • Member No.: 39,973
Post #1 post 25th July 2006 - 10:44 PM
hey guys. just wondering what it would take to drop a new engine in my current car.
i have an RB20DE atm and would liek to drop in a turbo engine mabey. it wouldnt be for a while probably the end of next year but its just a thoght.

How much would the conversion cost and where could i get it done?
Also there are a few engines for sale that come with gearbox, clutch etc... but wtf is a "loom"

please tell me anything i would need to know. I dont really want "buy a turbo car" or "its not worth it" awnsers, just what to know what it owuld take to do, how much it would ocst and also some basic information.

thanks alot guys.

oh and no laughing at me cos i dont know shit about engine stuff! im trying to learn stuff thumbsup.gif

--------------------
1990 Nissan Skyline GTS -STOLEN
Yellow XF falcon Wagon 'BIG BIRD' - Dead and gone
1989 Toyota celica GT4 - Dead and gone
1990 Nissan Silvia - sold
YAMMAHA FZR 250 - sold
2000 VT commy filf
2006 Honda CBR1000

[/quote]muz either stop smoking so much weed or smoke more and write a book[/quote]
nova
Post #2

a loom is a wireing harness.. helps the car talk to the computers etc.. they usually come with

RBDRTY
Post #3

A loom is all the wires Muz.

Dont forget if you turbo it you'll also need to upgrade gearbox, diff, and possibly brakes depending on what you have already.

ottoS13
Post #4

haha i'll laugh anyway.
the loom is all the wiring from your engine to your ecu. i assume you'll need an rb20det loom, ecu and engine - gearbox would be the same as the rb20det? no idea on cost now, but when i was looking at half cuts end of last year rb20det half cuts were $2500 from justjap in sydney. should be able to get it cheaper if you look around. but then you have to pay to get it installed

RBDRTY
Post #5

Ive been looking around a bit for RB20DET's and they seem to usually go for about $1500 with box, loom and ECU these days.

MUZ
Post #6

yeah seen a few for round $1500 with that stuff...

but how much would it cost to put in etc?

nova
Post #7

dont know if you'd be game enough to do it yourself? getting it in is the easy part.. never done anything like a nissan. sorta more stuck to what i know..

MUZ
Post #8

hahaha myself... i think not!
i dont know shit really tongue.gif

just wondering what sort of palces u wood pay to do ti and roughly how much.

and what else i would have to change on my car to incorperate new engine.

Cheddle
Post #9

QUOTE(MUZ @ Jul 26 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]1280093399[/snapback]

hahaha myself... i think not!
i dont know shit really tongue.gif

just wondering what sort of palces u wood pay to do ti and roughly how much.

and what else i would have to change on my car to incorperate new engine.

sell u my engine, gear box, wiring, ecu and everything for around $2000 once i buy me an rb25 or 26 later this year, maybe next year...

nova
Post #10

maybe throw a bbq for some of the boys here (like mookie did) to give you a hand.. and invite someone like sonic drift, who's proably had a little experience in this area (the field of r32, also the only other person i can think of on the top of my head)

i might not personally know very much about the kw's at the fly or rear wheels.. or the model number to alot of forern motors.. but i can pull one down and build it back up.. given a day or two.. i'm sure theres people on here who could help wink.gif... good luck with it either way dude thumbsup.gif

Mookie
Post #11

haha most of those slack fuckers didn't do anything till the last hour or so and we didn't end up having a bbq.

I'll come lend a hand it should be fairly simple i'd assume*:
the motor would be a direct bolt in
most of the exhaust could be kept the same apart from the flange.
the gearbox should bolt straight up.
brakes etc should be fine.

*that means i'm guessing i don't know for a fact.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=176205

the bottom end in this rb20det is fucked but maybe u could use ur bottom end and save some cash ?

I have no idea about rb's i thought i'd just throw the idea out there

StreetSleeper
Post #12

Unless you're up for the project of dropping the engine in, in the end its probably cheaper to buy a new car with Turbo and sell the N/A as hard as it will be to part with. The cost of it all including the little bits like exhaust, the time or the cost of time for others/paying others, just adds up in the end.
But as I stated, if you want a project to fill in time, go for it.

nova
Post #13

people said to me about buying a new car after i took the motor out to "play with" ..i'm going to take a stab and say the muz is probably not to keen on selling it because of the story he posted in off topic about finding the car.. so long as i've got the weekend or the day off you wanted to do it.. i reakon i'd be willing to lend a hand

juddo_031
Post #14

Go Rb20det, gearbox WILL be fine as its the same gearbox as the 20det anyway, brakes are the same im sure. As far as a loom goes, it should be fairly easy thing to graft it into what it already once came out of. If your gonna pay someone to just drop the engine in and bolt it all up it shouldnt take more than a few hours, so probably budget $500 easily there. There should be someone on here who is good with auto elec's to get it all goin cheaply (I know Brenno 500 does), otherwise it should be around another $400 to get it wired in, allow $100 to get the exhaust modified to fit the dump. So, 1k for the engine in and going, on top of say $1500 to be safe for the engine and loom. It would be a good, quick project, but with that $2500 on top of your car (what r the non turbos worth 5-6K???) you should be able to get yourself a stocko R32 anyway??? Either way, its your choice, but you will come out with basically the same car regardless. - Juddo

ronald_r32
Post #15

Skylines Australia would be your best bet. You will have to change the brakes for sure and suspension upgrade.

RBDRTY
Post #16

QUOTE(ronald_r32 @ Jul 26 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]1280094548[/snapback]

You will have to change the brakes for sure and suspension upgrade.

What do the N/A R32's run Ben? Twin piston front, Single piston rear?

Suspension has absolutely nothing to do with what engine your running, but definitely worthwhile none the less.

ronald_r32
Post #17

i just remember when i was looking into what brakes mine had, that there was different ones , na, type m GTR etc...

And of course suspension matters, if your getting going to be upping the power so much he will want to put it to the ground properly.

MUZ
Post #18

i think the susp has already been upgraded....

timmy_o
Post #19

A mate of mine has just installed a $20K garage at his place with everything you will ever need, hoist, tools etc etc... Take it down there put on a sizzle sure all the mrs' will be happy to do that get the blokes to work tongue.gif

ottoS13
Post #20

QUOTE(ronald_r32 @ Jul 26 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]1280094692[/snapback]

i just remember when i was looking into what brakes mine had, that there was different ones , na, type m GTR etc...

And of course suspension matters, if your getting going to be upping the power so much he will want to put it to the ground properly.

and you have what kind of suspension ben? laugh.gif

brakes would have diff models for sure, na ones wouldnt be as good as turbo ones. gtr brakes are huge

think about the money you'll be pouring into this as you won't be getting any of it back, and if you really wanna do it and not regret it in 6 months go for it. i couldve owned a much newer and nicer car than what i own after my conversion but i'm super happy with it

StreetSleeper
Post #21

QUOTE(timmy_o @ Jul 26 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]1280095000[/snapback]

A mate of mine has just installed a $20K garage at his place with everything you will ever need, hoist, tools etc etc... Take it down there put on a sizzle sure all the mrs' will be happy to do that get the blokes to work tongue.gif

That's pretty awesome to have a hoist n all. My flatmate managers Caltex so we free hoistage and a few handy tools avaible for our own use on most weekends, its a blessing having this sort of stuff available.

phatroll
Post #22

I havent read the other posts but i say drop an RB25 in it. Why not if your going to replace the engine, it would be just as easy.

timmy_o
Post #23

That's pretty awesome to have a hoist n all. My flatmate managers Caltex so we free hoistage and a few handy tools avaible for our own use on most weekends, its a blessing having this sort of stuff available.

Which Caltex? Wouldn't be Lindisfarne by any chance would it?

StreetSleeper
Post #24

QUOTE(timmy_o @ Jul 26 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]1280095632[/snapback]

Which Caltex? Wouldn't be Lindisfarne by any chance would it?

Ahh, yeah it is actually! ? BennyG know's him and prolly a few others from here aswell?

timmy_o
Post #25

Ahh, yeah it is actually! ? BennyG know's him and prolly a few others from here aswell?

Were you in there yesterday or the day before in a Skyline by any chance?

juddo_031
Post #26

I thought you would have to check with the guy that owns the workshop, cause its run by cooper automotive

delazy
Post #27

muzzy muzzy muzzy....sell ur car for 7k...easy buy....save the money 3 - 4k ud spent puttin a new engine, brakes, diff in and buy urself a standard R32 GTST for 9 - 10k easy

Chooka
Post #28

i know where you can get a very cheap rb25 needs a bit of attention, (big end bearing) pm me for details dude.

juddo_031
Post #29

so its had the fuck boosted out of it then

AROGNT
Post #30

i'm with delazy... just buy a GTST like you should've done in the first place...

RBDRTY
Post #31

QUOTE(AROGNT @ Jul 26 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1280096621[/snapback]

i'm with delazy... just buy a GTST like you should've done in the first place...

Lol why hello Stu, where have ya been mate!?

Give the young bloke a break, he's done well to get any R32 on his L's after all!

AROGNT
Post #32

even if it is as quick as a standard civic hey aido wink.gif

RBDRTY
Post #33

QUOTE(AROGNT @ Jul 26 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]1280096696[/snapback]

even if it is as quick as a standard civic hey aido wink.gif

Yeah. But on the bright side, its not a Civic! laugh.gif

StreetSleeper
Post #34

QUOTE(timmy_o @ Jul 26 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]1280096067[/snapback]

Were you in there yesterday or the day before in a Skyline by any chance?

Nah my mate that manages the place has a Maroan R33 that's parked there most days. Last I was there was Saturday, in my ride tho. Anyway, better not screw this topic up.

QUOTE(juddo_031 @ Jul 26 2006, 07:08 PM) [snapback]1280096203[/snapback]

I thought you would have to check with the guy that owns the workshop, cause its run by cooper automotive

Yeh but when there is no car on the hoist its ok, I think. They lease it off Caltex so yeh, and the hoist was there long before it was ran by Cooper. Most of their gear is locked away out the back anyway, so we take our own tools along, and usually just use the hoist for a short while.

ASYLUM
Post #35

agreeing with the fellaz on this one Muz!

u may aswell just buy a stocko 32 GTST... it would be worth it in the long run. U may run into problems by puttin in another engine. just niggly bits here and there... nothing is ever perfect!

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x