Ford Vs Holden Drift - What are your thoughts?  

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
dj_brad_k
Post #36

for drifting to take of and grow into a motorsport the size of v8 supercars fords and holdens will be the major part of this happening.

look at the pro d1 class in japan they are using cars that are massed produced in their country, chasers, r34's, s15's, rx8s. look into the d1 class in america they are using american produced cars like vipers, mustangs and gto's. than look at the nzd1 class they are all using your older japs cars this being the reason new zeland does not have their own manufactures.

look back at australia our main domestic cars, being falcons and commodores. these cars are going to be the main cause of drifting taking off in australia although being a fan of imports i would hate to see them die out and i know they wont die out of this motorsport.

no mater what you drive drifting will always be a sport about fun, and real sportsmanship. a case of real sportsmanship was last year at one of the DA rounds where michael truscott lent james mardle a new gearbox when his died in qualifing, this is at a national round where it really counts and guys are still willing to do this for a fellow drifter.

there is only one way drift will go and that is get bigger and bigger, it will never go backwards

tyler

Raceflo
Post #37

I think you are right on the money, my thoughts exactly^^^^^

gumpy vl wagon
Post #38

QUOTE(dj_brad_k @ Apr 14 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]6109292[/snapback]

for drifting to take of and grow into a motorsport the size of v8 supercars fords and holdens will be the major part of this happening.

look at the pro d1 class in japan they are using cars that are massed produced in their country, chasers, r34's, s15's, rx8s. look into the d1 class in america they are using american produced cars like vipers, mustangs and gto's. than look at the nzd1 class they are all using your older japs cars this being the reason new zeland does not have their own manufactures.

look back at australia our main domestic cars, being falcons and commodores. these cars are going to be the main cause of drifting taking off in australia although being a fan of imports i would hate to see them die out and i know they wont die out of this motorsport.

no mater what you drive drifting will always be a sport about fun, and real sportsmanship. a case of real sportsmanship was last year at one of the DA rounds where michael truscott lent james mardle a new gearbox when his died in qualifing, this is at a national round where it really counts and guys are still willing to do this for a fellow drifter.

there is only one way drift will go and that is get bigger and bigger, it will never go backwards
tyler

the "gto" az thay call it is well from australia and is commonly known as a holden monaro the only difrences is a new frount end witch is fugen ugly and lefthand drive there made hear and exported

dj_brad_k
Post #39

yeh they may be made in australia and exported to the states, but they are sold domestically in the us, meaning people can see rhys millans gto ripping it up and can drive down the road and see a gto in a car dealership.

as we can see jeremy lake giving the hankook monaro all its got and drive home and pass a monaro on the highway, this of course is mainly aimed at people with very little knowledge on drifting as a sport.

tyler

madcow
Post #40

Do you even know the differnce between a powerslide and drifting?

Hehe, its you import boys that use the handbrake to initialize the drift.......Do you know the difference or do you just drive fast on gravel roads, slap on a HKS sticker and call it "Drifting"

vh-holden
Post #41

if anything is going to stop drifting being big, it's the fact that it is a judged and scored sport. watching the drift battles on SBS, you don't necessarily know who wins. the decision lies with the judge.

in other motorsport, it is clear who won.

in our house, we dont' really get into other judged sports like gymnastics or ice skating.

i reckon the average sport watcher wants to be able to see who won, not wait for some judge to decide.

tobes
Post #42

you only need to look at the vn drift car getting around......its got nothing to do with body shape, setup is the most important aspect of any race car

yoshimitsu9
Post #43

QUOTE(madcow @ Apr 14 2006, 07:30 PM) [snapback]6110379[/snapback]

Hehe, its you import boys that use the handbrake to initialize the drift.......Do you know the difference or do you just drive fast on gravel roads, slap on a HKS sticker and call it "Drifting"

have u watched the drift bible? keichii tsyuchia "drift king" shows u how to drift various model cars, almost all of them are fairly stock, he shows that u dont need the e brake to initialise a drift or hundreds of kw that u might think u need, IMO watching someone drift on wheel spin is fairly unskilled. i would like to see u or any one else drift a factory ae86, cos u couldnt do it so bagging imports is not the way to go

VLTurbro
Post #44

QUOTE(yoshimitsu9 @ May 9 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]6179162[/snapback]

have u watched the drift bible? keichii tsyuchia "drift king" shows u how to drift various model cars, almost all of them are fairly stock, he shows that u dont need the e brake to initialise a drift or hundreds of kw that u might think u need, IMO watching someone drift on wheel spin is fairly unskilled. i would like to see u or any one else drift a factory ae86, cos u couldnt do it so bagging imports is not the way to go

Is drifting a stock AE86, a hard task or something? dunno.gif

Boostin7
Post #45

QUOTE(Raceflo @ Apr 14 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]6109437[/snapback]

I think you are right on the money, my thoughts exactly^^^^^

No way.. Go the ford F6

20VGT
Post #46

I am all for the diversity of each and every model of vehicle, however i think a "holden vs Ford" specific comp may be a little rough on the import drivers......simply because yet another comp will take even more track time away from anyone without a ford or holden.

The current Q1 comp already chews up the fast track for 3/4 of most drift days.

Perhaps to get things started, try a ford and holden discounted entry event? This would entice these people to get out on the track and let them realise that the majority of drifters will happily accept them into the sport (Provided they have the correct atitude eg: don't do line locks and donuts constantly).

Once they realise how fun it is and how much more difficult it is to actually drift than just watch, they will come back again and again. Aussie vs import battles is exactly what australian drift should be about.

Imagine sitting on the lounge seeing an aussie car battling a Jap import.....i can hear the cheering already Go ford! go Holden! Go nissan! etc etc

HOON69
Post #47

IPB Image

Ford Performance Vehicles has today confirmed it will support the competitive debut of its DRIF6 concept car in the opening round of the Drift Australia national championship at South Australia’s Mallala circuit on May 27-28.

The DRIF6 concept car will make its official competition debut with one of Australia’s leading Drift drivers, 23-year-old Victorian Adam Newton.

“Ford Performance Vehicles stirred up a hornet’s nest when it revealed the DRIF6 concept car at the FPV Open Day earlier this year,” Newton said.

“It has generated a lot of interest and lifted the profile of the sport to unprecedented levels – and that was before it even hit the track.

“The car has all the right ingredients for success, and I am excited to have been given the opportunity to debut the FPV DRIF6 in the Drift Australia series.

“I will be giving it everything I have to put on a great show for the crowds, and we will see where we end up at the end of the weekend.”

Newton has been involved in Drifting in Australia for more than four years, both as a competitor and event organiser, and is credited as one of the driving forces in raising the profile and professionalism of the sport.

Drifting is a spectacular new form of motor racing with a knockout system of two-car battles in which drivers perform a routine of rally-style slides through a series of turns on a race track. Points are awarded for speed, the angle of the slide and the car’s ability to produce tyre smoke.

FPV’s DRIF6 was built by a team of dedicated engineers and technicians at FPV’s Campbellfield facility with the assistance and support of a number of key suppliers, including Prodrive, Castrol EDGE, Bilstein, Autotek, HIS Hoses, Robinson Racing Developments, Revolution Racegear and Dunlop.

At the heart of the DRIF6 project is an upgraded 4.0-litre turbo-charged in line six cylinder engine with modifications made to increase the efficiency of the turbo system and to boost power and torque. These include a significantly larger intercooler with a revised induction system that features a ram air box taking air from where the fog light is normally located on the production car, a hand made plenum manifold replacing the individual inlet runners, a unique engine management system calibration and three-inch straight through exhaust system with side outlet.

The transmission has an upgraded Tremec T-56 close-ratio six-speed gearbox and AP racing twin-plate clutch driving the rear wheels through a locked differential.

Bilstein, one of the world’s leading suspension manufacturers, will support the DRIF6 project with a hand-built suspension system including fully-adjustable coil over dampers and stiffer anti-roll bars.

The braking system includes the optional Brembo brakes available on the F6 Typhoon with 355mm front and 330mm rear cross-drilled and pillar ventilated rotors and six-piston monoblock front calliper and four-piston rear calliper. It has been modified especially for Drifting with high quality braided hoses, a brake proportioning valve and a WRC-style hydraulic handbrake.

The cockpit of DRIF6 has been stripped and replaced with world-class MOMO racing seats and racing harnesses, MOMO steering wheel, MOMO gearknob and a variety of ancillary gauges by VDO and Autron. These include a monster VDO tacho on the dash located in line with the twin-pod sport gauges that display oil temperature and turbo boost pressure, A-pillar mounted gauges to display volts and cabin temperature and Autron’s latest high-tech tyre-press monitoring system located at the base of the Interior Command Centre. The cockpit also has a racing-style roll cage.

For further information, please contact:
Andrew MacLean at Ford Performance Vehicles on
Ph: + 61 (0)3 9300 7260 or Fax: +61 (0)3 9300 7302
the man himself made the announcement

S.A HOLDEN Vs FORD
some body better get some piccies of drif6 in action

blowie
Post #48

holden ror sure bit of ausie rice

jozza87
Post #49

Ive always been a Holden suppourter but after attending a drift day and seeing videos and photos i can proudly say im a big fan, alot of the older V8 drivers though will never realise the excitment and fun of drifting (not just sliding around a corner) just because thats how alot of these types of v8 guys are, very stubborn and they dont have an open mind to other cars and that (this can be seen by many people who have been posting in this thread too!)

I love my commodores but i am able to respect any car which deserves it. and those drifters out there have talent!! But also alot of import drivers arent open minded towards holdens and fords (as also can be seen here in this thread too) but there is no reason why a car must be an import of turbo to drift. Look at tony and robbie etc, its all about having a well setup car, any rwd car has the capability of being able to drift to a degree and i would love to see more aussie cars get involved.

Also a day for like holden and fords mainly (but really open to anyone) where there arent big crowds and pro drifters out on the track would be good to help get new drifters the chance to get their confidence up but have people there such as tony and the good drifters out teaching them how to drift and giving them pointers etc to get them first involved so then they can have the confidence to go to the bigger drift days.

My opinion smile.gif

VLTurbro
Post #50

QUOTE(jozza87 @ May 28 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1279909470[/snapback]

I love my commodores but i am able to respect any car which deserves it. and those drifters out there have talent!! But also alot of import drivers arent open minded towards holdens and fords (as also can be seen here in this thread too) but there is no reason why a car must be an import of turbo to drift. Look at tony and robbie etc, its all about having a well setup car, any rwd car has the capability of being able to drift to a degree and i would love to see more aussie cars get involved.

I think it's because when people think Holden or Ford, they think barge ass.

I personally love seeing a Commo that weighs over 1500kg drift as good as a lighter Silvia/AE86/Skyline etc.

Considering that Commos arent design to have ball ripping handling from factory, they do pretty a bloody good job and handle better, then alot of people think.

gumpy vl wagon
Post #51

im a big holden nut (i owne a torana and a commodore " die ford die die die die die die die die die")

and as mutch as id like to see the commodore out there driffting thay are well not desined to do so my commie haz NEW lowerd SPORTS suspension and well its hard to keep it out side wayz the commodore is a very dificult car to drift in for a novise the commodore is basikly desined to be a strate line wepon and straten them selvs out pritty quick ( unless you spend a lot of cash to do so but if you do i woudent use it on the road agean)

yet my torana whith its STOCK (30 year old) suspension on the other hand isnt and well is a better ride then my commodore and is a lot eazyer to make go sideways

bilbo117
Post #52

I think this is a great idea... more aussie cars in the drift scene, nothing wrong with it! But specific Holden versus Ford drift comps? Come on.... thats horseshit.
Part of the appeal of drift to me, and im sure its the same with alot of people, is the diversity in the types of cars.

My interest started in this because of the jap cars, dont kill it with aussie only events.

VLTurbro
Post #53

QUOTE(bilbo117 @ May 29 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]1279911561[/snapback]

I think this is a great idea... more aussie cars in the drift scene, nothing wrong with it! But specific Holden versus Ford drift comps? Come on.... thats horseshit.
Part of the appeal of drift to me, and im sure its the same with alot of people, is the diversity in the types of cars.

My interest started in this because of the jap cars, dont kill it with aussie only events.

Well they could have different classes, that pits rival cars against eachother and a open class for a winner take all type thing.

It would be good to see a Holden vs Ford drift class, but then again it may ruin drifting as it would attract bogans to drift comps. wink.gif

krishin
Post #54

any car should be able to enter really

holden or ford just coz its aussie doenst mean it cant drift

the only reason imports r drifing and they see it as there own
is coz they started doing it in japan and it moved over here

anyones car can enter and drift i rkn!

nismosr
Post #55

arent holdens and fords family cars.. y don u ppl jus leave them where they belong lol.. jus my opinion

b4 u ppl start flaming,.. jus have a look at a DA round1 video on nissansilvia.com and u would know wat im talking abt

in regards to the fordsf6 drift.. all the car was doin was rolling on the track.. the driver must be a champ to actually take tht car sideways a bit..

clutch-monkey
Post #56

QUOTE(nismosr @ Jun 11 2006, 04:57 AM) [snapback]1279959135[/snapback]

arent holdens and fords family cars.. y don u ppl jus leave them where they belong lol.. jus my opinion

b4 u ppl start flaming,.. jus have a look at a DA round1 video on nissansilvia.com and u would know wat im talking abt

long wheelbase + V8 should actually be easier to drift, if you could lose the wieght iirc
i mean a monaro and a Viper won the national drift comp in the US, with a mustang wining some awards in there as well

roweysvn
Post #57

You're opinion is stupid. Isn't a cefiro the japanese commodore, long wheel base, 4 doors etc? Opinions like yours shit me, one track mind.

I think it will be good to get a bit of variety out on the track, but whether they will be able to keep up with the imports is another thing. Props to 50MAN and the Cappa ute for giving it a go, and they do a great job at it, but i think the drift scene will always be comprised of mainly imports.

sandman_350
Post #58

in regards to the fordsf6 drift.. all the car was doin was rolling on the track.. the driver must be a champ to actually take tht car sideways a bit..

by saying Holden and Ford i would presume you were implying Commodore and Falcon well yes they may be commonly used as Family cars by the general public ...... as to there ability to Drift take a look at Tony Harrison in his Commodore , that Guy is Dynamite in that car and weather he wins or losses every time he enters a corner the crowd are on there feet , now thats entertainment the only other cars that seem to draw as much attention would have to be the Boldger Monaro or Capa Ute , its not a coencident its just if you combine noise , speed and Smoke you have a winner , as for YOUR muched loved Silvia i must say i see them as an ecconomy shopping trolley and i think its a little dissapointing when you see a silvia enter a corner Fuk all tyre smoke and you can here the tyres screaching over the exhaust note ...... now thats dissapointing angry.gif

moe002
Post #59

how about that DRiFT BF Turbo?!?!?

ive have seen that many a times on downloaded drift vids, and it seems like it would make a damn good competitor!

and honestly, who said that only jap spec cars can drift?!?! im sure they would be used as family cars over in their birth home at one stage!!!

aussie cars have to start somewhere!!!

nismosr
Post #60

lol u would be surprised to know tht almost eveythin in those D1 cars have been changed.. nothin belongs to ford or holden in those lol

n yeah btw anythin with 1000 hp athe wheels will drift lol....

did u guys watch the Da footage.. other than robbie bolger in his monaro,, rest all were jus rolling

QUOTE(sandman_350 @ Jun 11 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]1279959459[/snapback]

by saying Holden and Ford i would presume you were implying Commodore and Falcon well yes they may be commonly used as Family cars by the general public ...... as to there ability to Drift take a look at Tony Harrison in his Commodore , that Guy is Dynamite in that car and weather he wins or losses every time he enters a corner the crowd are on there feet , now thats entertainment the only other cars that seem to draw as much attention would have to be the Boldger Monaro or Capa Ute , its not a coencident its just if you combine noise , speed and Smoke you have a winner , as for YOUR muched loved Silvia i must say i see them as an ecconomy shopping trolley and i think its a little dissapointing when you see a silvia enter a corner Fuk all tyre smoke and you can here the tyres screaching over the exhaust note ...... now thats dissapointing angry.gif

if u think its all about tyre smoke then ur whole view of drifting is wrong.. bigger cars like commodores and falcons cant maintain tht angle as they are jus not designed too.. i aint sayin it cant be done.. but yeah.. bolger, harrison are all top drifters.. but with some much horsepower anythin will drift...

VLTurbro
Post #61

Family car? yes. Does it matter? no.

If it's RWD and setup right, who cares? smile.gif

I think alot of people are starting to get threaten, because Holdens and Fords are coming up so fast in the drift scene. wink.gif

FCCOOL
Post #62

Not only family cars, but also dam taxi cabs and the most common fleet cars and yet they still give those wizz bang japanesse sports cars a run for their money, man japanese cars must be sinking back to were they were 30 years ago.
I think it should be a mix, I am a holden man and drive a ford daily but I hate competition with only holden and ford, remember the good old days off bathurst when everything was on the track.
But in fairness and good competition with utes and family sedans giving it their best we should categorize-
hilux, navara, bravo, triton vs holden and falcon ute.
avalon and magna vs falcon & commodore
both above categories in stock and modified.

ro7ang
Post #63

QUOTE(nismosr @ Jun 11 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]1279960628[/snapback]
bigger cars like commodores and falcons cant maintain tht angle as they are jus not designed too..

So you're saying Nissan designed Cefiros from the factory for drift? bowrofl.gif So long as you can screw around with the suspension you can drift most anything. And as was alluded to in another thread, the Commodore chassis isn't actually such a bad starting point for a drift car.

The whole family car argument is wrong and stupid, one of the big reasons that the Japanese drift their locally-made family cars is because they are LOCALLY-MADE FAMILY CARS, it doesn't have anything to do with some magical chassis superiority that nobody seems able to actually point out. rolleyes.gif

But back to the topic at hand, Holdens and Fords will become more plentiful as more people start getting into drifting, and vice versa. Since imported cars make up such a huge percentage of local drift cars I don't think you can really eliminate them from any competition, plus I think you'd get more people interested if you had the Aussies up against the Imports.

SrS13pig
Post #64

i turn the camera off when a ford or holden comes into the corner

242f tokyo drift is gonna wreck the drifting scene, so many ricers putting stockos on the rear for the drift look, yuck remove it ricers

ro7ang
Post #65

QUOTE(SrS13pig @ Jun 24 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]1279997931[/snapback]

i turn the camera off when a ford or holden comes into the corner

242f tokyo drift is gonna wreck the drifting scene, so many ricers putting stockos on the rear for the drift look, yuck remove it ricers

Drift look? Lol they're called skid rims for a reason

SrS13pig
Post #66

no commo dudes had em b4 this movie

dw i guess ricers dont notice it but this movie will/has changed the drifting scene

ro7ang
Post #67

You've never seen skid rims on a commodore before recently? You must have pretty shit eyesight.

antonio
Post #68

QUOTE(nismosr @ Jun 11 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]1279960628[/snapback]

lol u would be surprised to know tht almost eveythin in those D1 cars have been changed.. nothin belongs to ford or holden in those lol
n yeah btw anythin with 1000 hp athe wheels will drift lol....
but yeah.. bolger, harrison are all top drifters.. but with some much horsepower anythin will drift...

1 minded stooge, So your just saying because it has more power it can drift?
You say D1 so much, i think you must stop watching HPI dvd's and mayb get out to a track and see real cars..

Its interesting to see holden & ford out there, in a new sport that has been owned by Japaneses car's for a long time.

sandman_350
Post #69

QUOTE(antonio @ Jun 26 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]1280003100[/snapback]

1 minded stooge, So your just saying because it has more power it can drift?
You say D1 so much, i think you must stop watching HPI dvd's and mayb get out to a track and see real cars..

Its interesting to see holden & ford out there, in a new sport that has been owned by Japaneses car's for a long time.

: SPOT ON thumbsup.gif they need to get there heads out of the Mags and DVD's and into the real world for a change

25YKU
Post #70

I'm all for holdens and fords getting into drifting, but on average how strong is the aftermarket support for drift setups for these cars?
You would have to do a hell of a lot to make a vz ss or a ba falcon driftable wouldnt you?
I must also say i was disappointed by the ford at ipswich raceway yesterday i cant drift for shit but it just didnt look like it was setup right or anything?

Just my opinion no offence meant to anyone or any arguments started happy.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 3
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x