Illegally Dark Tint - Void warranty?  

bustage
  • bustage
  • Revelation Machine
  • Member No.: 17,785
Post #1 post 14th September 2008 - 01:32 AM
I've heard lots of rumours about this but can anyone actually verify this?

I don't think a 35% tint is enough and want to get either 15-20% done. So has anyone actually had there insurance void their warranty because of this?

Do they check after the crash or something?

Cheers,

James

--------------------
In the streets with a heater under my dungarees
Dreams of me getting shaded under a money tree

rotor_head_83
Post #2

isnt 35% tint the legal maximum? it would depend on a few factors, namely ur insurance company and the situation of the crash (i.e. could poorer visibility due to tinted windows been a factor in the crash VS if someone crashed into your parked car when you werent in it)

ud really have to call the insurance company to find their policy on tinting

"Automotive tinting material which has a light
transmittance factor of not less than 35 per cent (T35)
may be used on any non-tinted side or rear window."

HEI57
Post #3

i kno someone who has their insurance voided cuz they had an aftermarket sound system with out letting the insurance company know...

MFC05
Post #4

QUOTE(HEI57 @ Sep 14 2008, 07:58 PM) [snapback]1282875165[/snapback]

i kno someone who has their insurance voided cuz they had an aftermarket sound system with out letting the insurance company know...

If you dont follow your insurance companies guidelines and down the track your inovled in a crash, the first thing the insurance companies is going to do is discover ways of not paying up, such as above. So make sure everyone read up on there policies and contents !

bustage
Post #5

QUOTE(rotor_head_83 @ Sep 14 2008, 07:44 PM) [snapback]1282875084[/snapback]

isnt 35% tint the legal maximum? it would depend on a few factors, namely ur insurance company and the situation of the crash (i.e. could poorer visibility due to tinted windows been a factor in the crash VS if someone crashed into your parked car when you werent in it)

ud really have to call the insurance company to find their policy on tinting

"Automotive tinting material which has a light
transmittance factor of not less than 35 per cent (T35)
may be used on any non-tinted side or rear window."

Yeh man i know about the 35% thing. Thats why i said 35% isn't enough. Tints then go down in percentage the darker they go

rotor_head_83
Post #6

yeah yeah

theyd have to do a test to really find out the transmittance factor, so as long as its not bullshit dark u shud be ok. then again its not really worth voiding ur insurance just to have a slightly darker tint :S

ExodusDesign
Post #7

Almost every insurance company will void your insurance due to illegal items attached to the car, if they choose to investigate it thoroughly.

its a risk you take.

best way......
in an accident.... get your car towed to your house or friends house etc.. which you are allowed to do
Once your insurance company has been notified, they want to see the vehicle
and then let the insurance ask for the car to be brought in for inspection etc or an inspector come and see it.

(meanwhile this is 4 days later and you have since removed the tint, and the massive sound system etc.)

WIN

Weekend Warrior
Post #8

Im pretty sure that unless the modification is found to be the sole factor in the accident then they can't refuse you cover, for example with old mate and the after market stereo. If he has a crash and needs a new bumper bar the insurance company can't deny him cover because the mod has nothing to do with the accident, but if his system fuck up and over loads the battery causing it to catch fire (lol) and burn a big hole in his car then he's not covered.

so basically, how good a driver are you? Because as long as your careful and don't merge onto some one etc then you should be right.

Zacyboy01
Post #9

exodus has it... atleast thats what i hope i can do if im ever involved in a crash. I got 5% tint lol all around. Its fucked at night but looks heaps sick ayyyyyyy

Rookie ROX
Post #10

QUOTE(ExodusDesign @ Sep 14 2008, 08:55 PM) [snapback]1282875568[/snapback]

Almost every insurance company will void your insurance due to illegal items attached to the car, if they choose to investigate it thoroughly.

QUOTE(Weekend Warrior @ Sep 14 2008, 08:57 PM) [snapback]1282875576[/snapback]

Im pretty sure that unless the modification is found to be the sole factor in the accident then they can't refuse you cover, for example with old mate and the after market stereo. If he has a crash and needs a new bumper bar the insurance company can't deny him cover because the mod has nothing to do with the accident, but if his system fuck up and over loads the battery causing it to catch fire (lol) and burn a big hole in his car then he's not covered.

so basically, how good a driver are you? Because as long as your careful and don't merge onto some one etc then you should be right.

Not quite.

A stereo is a terrible example, because few companies enforce policies to that extent. They're more inclined simply to deny payment for it if you haven't notified them of it - it's not illegal to have one.

If your car is a defectable state because it is fitted with illegal items or illegal modifications, it is not to the standard you agreed to when you signed your policy contract. You are therefore breaching your contract and they have every right to void your policy. They can do the same thing if you're in an incident in which you were breaking the law - such as speeding excessively, drink driving etc.

Insurance companies don't make money by accepting every claim they receive. If they don't have to pay out, they won't, and they'll find any means to void the policy if they can.

But ultimately to answer the question, yes, tint below the 35% legal tint will put you at risk of voiding your policy in the event of a crash. It's your decision whether you want to risk losing the cost of the policy and the cost of repairs, simply to have darker tint. You can try Exodus's suggestion, but there's no guarantee it will work.

ROCK ON
R~R

TD 06
Post #11

8% all round on mine, night time is definantly night time wacko.gif

exodus ftw

ExodusDesign
Post #12

yeh sorry rookie
was trying to say.. "not on original policy... or insurance wasnt notified about the modification.

didnt mean it as... illegal to physically have on your vehicle from a police view

Rookie ROX
Post #13

Haha actually I was meant to use that quote later on in my post and forgot it was up there tongue.gif

But if it's illegal from police perspective, it's more likely to void your policy than simply not notifying them of a change.

ROCK ON
R~R

sly32
Post #14

QUOTE(MFC05 @ Sep 14 2008, 08:09 PM) [snapback]1282875259[/snapback]

If you dont follow your insurance companies guidelines and down the track your inovled in a crash, the first thing the insurance companies is going to do is discover ways of not paying up, such as above. So make sure everyone read up on there policies and contents !

HAHAHA nar not true,. i crashed my 180sx, i hadnt listed alot of things (almost $10,000 in new mods) they asked me if i had modified the car further from what i had listed, i said yes and they then added that stuff to my insurance and up'd the value of the car, insurance companies are a rip but they dont try and just be ass holes all the times, my tint is dark as dno what it is but i like it, will get the front windows a tiny bit lighter for night time driving but i really dont think insurance will look at that to much,

JV

bustage
Post #15

Thanks for the info guys.

Samboi
Post #16

Just get t18. My mate crashed his forester with it (one step past darkest legal) and he got his 30k payout.

I purchased t18 for my car, the darlest legal looks shit.

(SIC)_ST8
Post #17

i am a tinter....most people go darker than legal, most of out customers go t20 just because t35 looks crap...just tell your insurance that you got t35 done. they cant tell the difference.

28DUB
Post #18

until they get the light meter on it then they will know!!

Ris00
Post #19

they will try to find anything not to pay.

bustage
Post #20

QUOTE((SIC)_ST8 @ Sep 15 2008, 01:04 PM) [snapback]1282877914[/snapback]

i am a tinter....most people go darker than legal, most of out customers go t20 just because t35 looks crap...just tell your insurance that you got t35 done. they cant tell the difference.

What do you charge?

dwvr
Post #21

kinda on topic/kinda stealing the thread...

to all the tint pros readn this, is it true that utes can get t5 on the rear window due to being classed as light commercial? if so, pm me a qoute smile.gif

Innocent_Commuter
Post #22

^^ill hijack it furthur and add to dwvr Question..

Anyone familar with a rule that you can have legal tint on the front windows of a 4door.. but due to the fact its regod'/modified to a 2 seater, Can have T5 on the rear windows/windscreen? similar to commercial?

Rookie ROX
Post #23

QUOTE((SIC)_ST8 @ Sep 15 2008, 01:04 PM) [snapback]1282877914[/snapback]

just tell your insurance that you got t35 done. they cant tell the difference.

I hope you don't tell your customers that.

QUOTE(dwvr @ Sep 15 2008, 05:31 PM) [snapback]1282879635[/snapback]

to all the tint pros readn this, is it true that utes can get t5 on the rear window due to being classed as light commercial? if so, pm me a qoute smile.gif

It would be dependent on the ute. Most 2x4 utes are classed as Light Commercial, in which yes you can block out the rear window. You can check the classification using Redbook.

QUOTE(Innocent_Commuter @ Sep 15 2008, 06:06 PM) [snapback]1282879895[/snapback]

Anyone familar with a rule that you can have legal tint on the front windows of a 4door.. but due to the fact its regod'/modified to a 2 seater, Can have T5 on the rear windows/windscreen? similar to commercial?

If it's not Light Commercial, T35 all round is your only legal option.

ROCK ON
R~R

fusion88
Post #24

the law is if the car is registered as a Commercial Currier they can have t20 on the windows

dwvr
Post #25

QUOTE(Rookie ROX @ Sep 15 2008, 07:12 PM) [snapback]1282880424[/snapback]

It would be dependent on the ute. Most 2x4 utes are classed as Light Commercial, in which yes you can block out the rear window. You can check the classification using Redbook.

ROCK ON
R~R

thanks rookie, but i looked on redbook and i cant find a vehical classification... am i looking in the right place?

http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars/detail...32%7c0&Cr=5

its a commodore ute...

3SGE
Post #26

I thought darkest legal was t25 ? my brother has t05. . . Limmo tint.

brosy87
Post #27

Also another little by law which is wierd if ur car is an import u can have darker than t35 on the back 3 windows but only legal on the front drop downs.... wierd but thats national law against state law lol

neil_se
Post #28

That's not quite true. It's legal IF your car comes from the factory with privacy glass (a coloration IN the glass, not a tint ON the glass), you can't just tint the back 3 darker.

The legal limit is 24.9 if i recall correctly, which is what a T35 film will measure on green glass.

spanku690
Post #29

i got 20% on my civic and i get pulled over quite often and when they ask i say it came like that and lets me go allgudz

darkest legal is 35%

NOTE if any1 wants 20% done pm me and ill hook u up!

hoeders
Post #30

QUOTE(ExodusDesign @ Sep 14 2008, 08:55 PM) [snapback]1282875568[/snapback]

its a risk you take.
best way......
in an accident.... get your car towed to your house or friends house etc.. which you are allowed to do
Once your insurance company has been notified, they want to see the vehicle
and then let the insurance ask for the car to be brought in for inspection etc or an inspector come and see it.

(meanwhile this is 4 days later and you have since removed the tint, and the massive sound system etc.)

WIN

yeah this is the way to go i know from passed experiences

Rookie ROX
Post #31

Now of course the assumption is that in the event of a crash, you actually have the ability to MAKE that call.

Throw a serious crash in the midst where you're being trucked off to hospital and you've got a problem.

ROCK ON
R~R

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x