Show that we are not out to do anything stupid
dont want to course any trouble
Just out for a enjoyable day mixing with people that
enjoy the same interests in cars as we do

I think that is a good way to go about it

tripharn
Post #42

Sounds like a good idea.

I personally don't want my face on TV, nor take my car anywhere near one of these things... which is generally why I don't go on the 'big' cruises. I haven't had any trouble with the police either, so I suppose it doesn't effect as much either.

I wish you guys the best of luck.

Jaryd
Post #43

good idea bro.

nice to see some effort on behalf of everyone

zorb_rules
Post #44

Alright Im from Melbourne and whiulst we experience the same sort of stuff over here from the police and public. YA have to remember for police and the governemnt most of this stuff is a money amiking exercise the only way to get the cops off ya backs is to basically walk up to parliment say we're gonna pay and extra 200 bucks a year in taxes so you wont need to ping us for dodgey shit in order to make money.

The governement,public and law need to udnerstand its our hobby and its what we do...there's 2 ways to stop it either co-operate with us..or drive us all off the road (at this stage this seems to be the better option for them).

Also with the random checks etc.. etc..if the government and local law has such a big issue with things like BOV's, POD Filters, Neons etc.. ect... why dont the just restrict the import of them and sale of them either to people who race (have CAMS licenses) or stop sales of them at all.....its cause its all about money if they stop selling em... companies stop paying the government import taxes,GST and what not and if people stop buying them the governemnt can't make any money off defecting us or dicking us for every lil thing cause we'll no longer have it.

45SET
Post #45

Good to see you’re doing something about the problem KOTCJ. About a place to hold it...... BWCP sounds like a plan... that or spit on Sunday. I personally have never been to BWCP on a Saturday night so am unsure of what it’s like.... but I went to the spit last week. I was quite amazed that not one car did anything stupid. A torana got pulled over and defect.... not sure one what grounds.... but it looked like the driver was out with his family. So my opinion would be BWCP on a Saturday night or the Spit on a Sunday afternoon. If BWCP was to be used, you could ask for a police presence. Such as having a police car on both the entry/exits and just have a few cops walking around. This will either scare the HOONS away as the cops are sitting by the entry, or if they do anything stupid the police could do something about it ASAP.

Just my views and opinions

Keep up the good work man thumbsup.gif

supreme
Post #46

i just have to say well done kotcj, youre doing a good thing.

as for my i havent been out cruising in big numbers with anything to do with this site because of the police hassles you guys get. i much prefer going out on more private cruises and wallah theres no police presence whatsoever.
i mean honestly its trying to get blood out of a stone to get wankers to stop doing skids at bwcp/computer rd without full time presence. i still dont think ill head out to any hotspots for a long time

mkerr
Post #47

hmmm.
this might be interesting.
though i wonder if anything will occur? will ratings dictate, or a decent story?

Like most things, there's a bell curve. Seems that most reports focus on the bottom end of this curve. Whilst i've got no drama on these morons being exposed and reported on tv, i would have also expected the report to at least hint on the fact that these are the scum of car lovers. Seems that most reports like to sensationalise the car scene, showing the worst, and making it seem as it's the usual, everyday day in the life of joe average car lover.

I'd certainly like to see a report that further discriminated between the "hoons" and enthusiasts. Could even have a catch to it, "the war against hoons aided by enthusiasts" etc etc. It seems that we're possibly the most affected by these dimwits behavior (save, unfortunately, the families affected by any related tragedy). Perhaps running a story to show that there's more than black Vs white, average car users Vs hoons.

On the topic of a cruise thingy. What about hiring a school field or similar and having a fete style thingy? Might be a tad overboard and costly though. But it could make for a fun filled day with a purpose. I'd sure as hell rock up if i got fairy floss and a go on a jumping castle tongue.gif

Oh, and for the love of god, don't let that chick off today tonight go near this. She's Mike More incarnate, sans the obvious genitalia. Seriously, has her expression changed in the past few years? I'm sure she's a bundle of fun and laughs (with or without facial expression) in person, but she does come off a tad cold to say the least.

Either way, i'm amazed that you've got any form of recognition, and i hope for the best.

shawty_drifta
Post #48

good on u kotcj thumbsup.gif , i think its great what u've done so far, and i rekon u'll get the outcome ur lookin for smile.gif

ace spook
Post #49

Will support this one no probs! Should be at BWCP this saturday & happy to be one of "the OLDER cruisers" in anything organised to promote the car enthusiasts in a fairer light than previous Media disasters BYO walking stick? HaHa

ace spook
Post #50

hsdance.gif "On da road again!" smile.gif

20VGT
Post #51

I commend your efforts Rick.......you are the only one willing to put in the time required.

BUT: as we all know, Channel 7's history regarding "hoon" stories is not good. I am sure you and most of the other people that have been in the scene for 5+ years will recall......the efforts of "today tonight" were not exactly honest and forthcoming. The word "entrapment" just popped into my head for some strange reason.

All i am asking that you tread carefully in regards to the respresentatives of the media. The last thing we need is them to use random edited comments to make us look bad and then attach that to some OLD footage of "hoons" in years gone by.

Good Luck.

HQSS
Post #52

I am with 20VGT, we all know that channel 7 has done everything in their power to let the public know that we are all "HOONS" and I hate to say it but this whole topic has been done before. Reporters have told us before that they wanted to put our side of the story forward and then when it has appeared on the TV they have changed it all around and once again we are seen as hoons. Darren Curtis may want to put our side forward, go on him. Unfortunately he has no say in what the story actually gets edited into by the big wigs at the station and what actually gets to air in the end. That is where it all goes wrong!!!!!!

Firstly if it is going to be done you need people being interviewed that know what they are talking about, that can actually put a sentence together and someone that doesn't have a driving record that can be looked up in sheer conflict of what the person has said.

I remember some years back, a certain car club getting on the news saying we are good people not hoons, we do nothing wrong and then a week later making the news again doing skids out of BP at Yatala and a certain boostcruising member getting on and boasting about all the fines he has had, showing them all and then saying we are not hoons, what a frigging joke. No wonder the public has the views they do.

I agree the cops are a bunch of pricks and will do anything to raise funds but it is not like the car scene has given them any reason not to when we have so called leaders as mentioned above.

And I hate to tell you guys but it is not always the cars the cops are after, it is mostly the driving skills of the person behind the wheel. My car is not even close to legal and I have never been pulled over by the police and I have been heavily into the car scene for about 12 years now. Maybe it has something to do with the fact you drive like idiots.

Phat999
Post #53

congrats man hope they show somthing on tv

Mrs_LJ_GSRRVR
Post #54

U know i am behind you 100% rick wink.gif

BoostedS15
Post #55

Be interesting to see what happens. Congrats on getting this far. smile.gif

king of the concrete jungle
Post #56

Ok I've been thinking of this all night over and over again and these are some simple suggestions I have come up with;-

1.) A massive cruise to some location with all car clubs/forums uniting as one
2.) A charity organisation of some description setting up a lunch BBQ at the location we cruise to.
3.) We elect a few decent people that have common sense, intelligence, have legally modified cars and have contributed in a positive way to the car scene in S.E. Q.L.D.(like Erin and Kellie suggested) i.e these people;-

* PETE:- Owns CB, has a passion for cruising and the car scene with the forum and his own car
* Mcleod:- Same as Pete with BC. With nearly 17,000 members most of whom are in S.E. Q.L.D.
* Chic Torque:- Dedicated ladies car club & forum giving ladies a chance to get involved in a male dominated hobby. Not to mention nice cars like sillycargirls (Lisa's) Sheree's and heaps of others ladies out there in the car scene
* Some that are heavily involved in drifting and drags to show we do use off street locations (I don't know who best here I'd need recommendations)
OVL666:- Big boofhead I know but what would we be without his big ugly melon involved and he did run a tight ship once in the BWCP tongue.gif

Main thing is these people would be representing everyone, so they must be able to speak properly etc without having illegal cars or lost their licences in the past etc. I'm also thinking to get them to the BWCP to show them the trouble, as to the eplanade etc.

Anywho I'm off to work so please keep it clean and intelligent please smile.gif

Phoenix T
Post #57

sent pm to u rick

Phoenix T
Post #58

Hopefully this can all work out
and maybe then everyone can be happy

21-BJF
Post #59

Yeah Rick maybe you should bring up things like at the end of cruizetime over easter how the police set up a 'd' station on the exit road from queensland raceway. I thought that police were pushing to get all of the general 'hoon' population to keep racing off the street and attend these events, yet they then stop everone that has been doing the right thing and 'keeping it to the track' and issue defects for the most stupid things, like one of the drifters that got d'ed because when his car was full of his spare tyres from the weekend, he was done for being too low. You cant tell me that this is having anything but a negitage effect on the general population of enthusists like our selves.

If you need any more help from my self or my work rick, drop me a line.

cheers

b.

Heavy e
Post #60

My thoughts - an organised cruise just like any other that you've done but have the crew tag along from beginning to end to show them how it's organised with UHF radios, show ppl lifting their bonnets & checking each other's cars out WITH mod plates et al to prove legality

Organise a cruise to Wivenhoe dam or something & have a BBQ to show that it's just ppl getting together

Don't show stereos tho because loud noise is construed to be a nuisance

No 'special' events like xmas cruises or charity cruises because it looks forced; contrary to popular belief the average news watcher is quite intelligent & will interpret this as unnatural/forced/deliberately put on & call 'bull shit'.

MR_E
Post #61

Not sure there is a lot I can offer you Rick, except to say is good luck.
I have given up these days as far as cruzing, I use to love the BWCP on a Saturday Night and the Espy on a Sunday.
But driving an import seems to be an instant excuse to be pulled over and given a defect regardless of how pitiful, rip in seat, water bottle etc.
These days I spend my time just waiting to get out on track at our Driftdays, even then, the Police are there waiting at the end of the day to grab some poor bugger who may have ripped his front bar off etc.
The biggest problem in the whole scheme of things is not the genuine cruzer but the tosser who shows up in his stock car and pulls a skid etc. Not to mention the drinking etc.
The only way I can see the BWCP surviving is either with a huge police presence or a controlled situation, security on either ends with a few in the car park all in communications with each other and the police. This way the rouge element can be identified and removed.
Also maybe the police could work things with us and join in, by this I mean have a government sponsored car and join in, be in contact with nominated spokesman.
I am getting to the stage these days that when I see I am going to be hassled. I am tempted to bolt, when you look at the way some of us are treated and the size of the fines e.g. 3-4 point fines ( which have increased from 1-2 points ) over a 3 year period and only having 12 points. It aint hard to reach a stage where you start to think its better to get away then stop. It is sad but this is the way they are pushing it.

KylerKF
Post #62

I think there are advantages in both having a smaller gathering and a larger one.

Smaller: Viewers (if it makes tv) will be more inclined to beleive that what they are seeing (20-30 cars etc) is normal everyday behaviour for an enthusiest. Eg. Cruising out to a tranquil location and having a BBQ.

Larger: Viewers will get to see just how many enthusiests there are out there who only want to cruise in their cars and have a good time with mates. This will give a better indication of the amount of people who are in general, shitted off at being labelled hoons.

Either way, if something large happens... I'm there thumbsup.gif

WattsyLX
Post #63

In all honesty im not worried at all about how Ch7 has reported the hoon debate lately - the idiots at Nerang the other night, plus all the idiots that seem to be getting into the car scene lately have made all the bad attention from the media totally legitimate.
Ive been out cruising on the Gold Coast twice in the last 2 years. Before that i was out EVERY weekend without fail cruising the BWCP and Esplanade.
I didnt get sick of cruising - i still go for a cruise with mates occasionally away from the Coast - i just got sick of the uncontrollable amount of young tossers with no brains that got into the scene and turned it to shit.

However a story showing that most car nuts are genuine, law abiding hard working people who just want to enjoy their hobby without annoying the general public could be a positive thing, and hopefully the story will go ahead!
But as i said, no point in complaining about the bad publicity the street scene is getting lately - it is well warranted.

My only gripe - directed at Channel 7 - please stop referring to street racing and people like the idiots from the weekend story as Drag Racing and Drag Racers.
As i have said before, Drag Racing is a major motorsport, with alot of corporate sponsors involved, that is held on specially designed and prepared race tracks with stringent safety guidlines. Major meetings in Australia attract tens of thousands of fans, it has the highest entrant/participant rate of any other motorsport (about 200 cars can turn up every weekend for test n tunes at one track alone! - and the Winternats and other major meets has entrant numbers exceeding 500 cars.)

Street Racing is totally different and dangerous, and there should never be an association between the two in the media.

If Mr Curtis would like to check out:
http://www.dragster.com.au

and in particular these links in the forums:

http://www.dragster.com.au/modules/newbb/v...id=3156&forum=4
http://www.dragster.com.au/modules/newbb/v...id=3073&forum=4

he would quickly realise that drag racers and drag racing fans are sick of the media, and in particular Ch7 making this association between the legitimate sport of drag racing and illegal street racing!

Silvia_Xtreme
Post #64

Rick: if you need help, let me know... i have experience ( BCCCC `04 smile.gif ). Im also a mature and sensible person..... and i havent been on TV ripping up the GC streets or talking like a fool.

rakfint
Post #65

I'm no longer in SE queensland, however was enjoying the car scene at bwcp and the spit occasionally. Like many of us, I attended the Charity Cruise at the end of last year, I thought this was an awesome day for many reasons.

I'm not sure what option is best, a big event or a small cruise, I think KylerKF stated good pro's and cons' however, if going for something large you could;

- Raise money for a charity as last time.
- Invite local car suppliers / businesses along, allow them to setup small stalls selling thier products & 'special offers' (if no legal complications with that)
- Have the event advertised to gain large public attendance
- Any cars to be INSIDE the carpark are to be charged a fee (as to scare away HOONS)
- The important things, such as ice cream truck and maybe even the loyal BWCP food and drink man?

I'm sure there are many things you could organise given time, just depends how soon you're wanting this to be 'aired' to the public.

Silvia_Xtreme
Post #66

QUOTE(rakfint @ Apr 21 2005, 10:39 AM)
- Any cars to be INSIDE the carpark are to be charged a fee (as to scare away HOONS)
[right][snapback]5072062[/snapback][/right]

You cant stop a car entering the BWCP. we were told this many times on the day of the BCCCC `04... i spent the best part of half an hour talking to the Motorcycle cop, whom i think was the same bloke who was upping the tools on tv the other day, about what we were up to etc.. and he said the behaviour was excelent, as long as we didnt stop cars from entering the car park, he had no problem with us.

rakfint
Post #67

ok.. well I guess that makes sense.. I wasn't sure of how it was workng at BCCC but it did seem to work.. I think if the money turnover (like at bccc) happens for entry to the comp, it may turn away hoons as it may not seem so appealing to enter the carpark with PAYING people .. or they may just assume they have to pay.. i'm not sure.. i'll leave the planning upto the brains here.. that certainly isn't me tongue.gif

Good luck with it all!

SIN-666
Post #68

Well done. Im glad that someone might be willing to show our side of the story for once. Lets just hope that they wont turn it around somehow like they seem to have a knack for

WattsyLX
Post #69

By organising a big cruise with raising money for charity, having trader stalls, etc, you are making it look like a big tacky publicity stunt.

I would simply keep it on the quiet and get a group together of people who are known to act sensibly, and organise a low key, typical Sunday arvo run.
At the end of the day you want to show people what responsible car enthusiasts typically do - and having a big charity run isnt a typical Sunday arvo!
Say a typical cruise: meet at BWCP, cruise to Hinze Dam or Cooly for a BBQ, lunch at the pub. Then cruise back and hang a few laps of the Esplanade..... all the time showing that you are simple people who just want to enjoy a legal hobby without having the stigma of being a troublemaker attatched.
After all, isnt this the basic message you wish to convey to the general public who are staring at the idiot box?

15SUS
Post #70

Firstly, KOTCJ great work on the issue - your laudable efforts may be the saving grace in the shermozzle that is SE Qld's car scene of late.

However, I think you should definitely be aware that although you may have the support of a dedicated reporter, ultimately his views may not be endorsed by the chief editors/management of Channel 7. I'd be really dissapointed to see studio editing further discredit the apperance and intentions of genuine car enthusiasts. I think it would be worthwile having a fair amount of private footage of the event taken - this will be safe from the clutches of sensationalism. That said, I think Channel 7 has to be given the benfit of the doubt if a successful outcome is to be attainable.

More specific to the event(s), I think if BWCP is chosen as a central location a lot of consideration needs to be made. Its notoriety and the stigma unfairly attached to most who attend will allready impede positive efforts. However, it provides an oppurtunity to clean up its reputation and its strong association with the modified car scene will also be beneficial in a successful situation. I think for this to be a viable choice an impervious display of good behaviour is imperative...and don't know how possible that is?

I don't think a charity even will seem forced if it is similar to such past events. No extravaganza or over-the-top displays are needed....Past charity events will show that this scenario is not a facade fabricated by hoons...

I think a group of representatives is necessary but I also think that at least a moderate amount of regular car enthusiasts is also required. A small group of well-spoken and intelligent individuals will help represent the ideas and notions of the majority of the enthusiasts in a political and social context, BUT will not convince the public that this exemplifies the average enthusiast or their behaviour. For this reason I think you need to get some big shots of everyone out their, with their well-kept and pristine vehicles, having a good time acting like regular people. I think a big open space (park, etc) with facilities to accomodate a BBQ for the reqd amount of people and enough car spaces would be ideal.

No doubt my car will still be up on stands the time this actually happens head_wall.gif so I hope it all goes well thumbsup.gif

king of the concrete jungle
Post #71

I've just jumped on-line for a few minutes whilst having morning tea

Righto personally I don't think it would be a be a bad thing to have an idiot or two turn up because it would certainly show how against the stupidity we are. I wouldn't hesitate in handing that person his ass, as I'm sure everyone else wouldn't either. Gee I remember the night of my accident at Harry's when the entire crowd turned on that drunk lady so imagne how it would look if someone did act the f00l in front of the cameras. At least it would show we are sorting it out ourselves.

I'd let God decided whom he wanted representing BC, after it's his hard work that this site is here, same too with Pete & CB, as to Sheree and CT etc.

I'm ruling out a charity cruise, as I personally think it would look tacky. Just one massive cruise where we can all get together for lunch and have a great time like we always do in a large cruise. Not to mention the BWCP and esplanade etc too.

Thanks for the feedback/comments they are all great

Anywho time to get back to the grindstone smile.gif

chris davey
Post #72

Is it possible to have 2 events to be filmed? If so, I would do a smaller one with some intelligent people who own legally modified cars to interview and then a larger one that can show how many of us there really is.

Is this an option?

Mr Nissan Cima
Post #73

Count Me iN smile.gif

How about an undercover reporter to cruise around with the group or someone at the next QR Day.

Show the sport. not the crime.

Sir Holden
Post #74

QUOTE(WattsyLX @ Apr 21 2005, 11:15 AM)
By organising a big cruise with raising money for charity, having trader stalls, etc, you are making it look like a big tacky publicity stunt.

I would simply keep it on the quiet and get a group together of people who are known to act sensibly, and organise a low key, typical Sunday arvo run.
At the end of the day you want to show people what responsible car enthusiasts typically do - and having a big charity run isnt a typical Sunday arvo!
Say a typical cruise: meet at BWCP, cruise to Hinze Dam or Cooly for a BBQ, lunch at the pub. Then cruise back and hang a few laps of the Esplanade..... all the time showing that you are simple people who just want to enjoy a legal hobby without having the stigma of being a troublemaker attatched.

Somebody get this man a prize.

This isn't an occasion for charities and what not. Seriously, do you raise money when you head up to Mt Gravatt every Thursday night? Show the media and the public what a low-key cruise is like.

Silvia_Xtreme
Post #75

why not do another hinze dam BBQ... they always seem to be fun.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 4
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x