V8 Bonnet Gauges - True or False???  

SoLiD_CRoNiC
  • SoLiD_CRoNiC
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 10,605
Post #1 post 8th January 2005 - 06:49 AM
Im lookin to buy a VT, VX SS and want the the little bonnet gauges because I thinK they look kewl. Anyways I was in Repco the other day askin about them and the guy told me that they are not actually gauges and that they are all for show... Is that true or did he not know what he was talkin about. I only want them for look, But im sure I have seen functioning bonnet gauges. So are they just for Riceing?
CRoNiC..... dunno.gif

--------------------
Bro's B4 Hoe's
hi_lux
Post #2

Why are you asking someone who works at Repco?? It depends on the person. Some people have them there for show, and some have them there for function as well. They are illegal in QLD, as they are a hazard to pedestrains if you hit them.

Eggy
Post #3

i thought they were only illegal if they were a chrome cup??

ie: a distraction to drivers

Manic 180
Post #4

ahaha that guys a dick head

some people will tell you you dont need to know any thing the dash dosent tell you
others want to know what there car is acctualy doing eg oil pressure ect

id laugh very hard at a car with the pods for gauges minus the actual gauge

Smoky60Sleeka
Post #5

Where do you think the idea came from in the first place? I'm guessing that someone was fitting some aftermarket gauges in his car but didn't know where to put them. Then he noticed that there was a nice flat spot in the driver's field of view on the bonnet. Easier than mounting them on the dash and mucking around feeding cables through the firewall.

As these guys have said, the REPCO guy didn't have a clue about bonnet mounted gauges. They originally were functional, but ricers have started installing just the chrome covers on their bonnets to get the racer look.

Ahmad
Post #6

i hate bonnet gauges but thats just me... if u want them get them but as hi lux said they are illigle...

QUOTE (Smoky60Sleeka @ Jan 9 2005, 02:17 AM)
Where do you think the idea came from in the first place? I'm guessing that someone was fitting some aftermarket gauges in his car but didn't know where to put them. Then he noticed that there was a nice flat spot in the driver's field of view on the bonnet. Easier than mounting them on the dash and mucking around feeding cables through the firewall.

As these guys have said, the REPCO guy didn't have a clue about bonnet mounted gauges. They originally were functional, but ricers have started installing just the chrome covers on their bonnets to get the racer look.

Incorrect mate, it actually originates from drag racing. They used to put the guages outside the cockpit because they were mechanical guages, and in event of a line or guage failure didnt want to be covered in hot oil etc.

Also it's illegal to have mechanical guages inside a road reg car for the same reason.

QUOTE (hi_lux @ Jan 9 2005, 10:14 AM)

Incorrect mate, it actually originates from drag racing. They used to put the guages outside the cockpit because they were mechanical guages, and in event of a line or guage failure didnt want to be covered in hot oil etc.

Also it's illegal to have mechanical guages inside a road reg car for the same reason.

Exactly right.

Thats why i have my fuel and oil pressure gauges on the cowl - they are mechanical gauges and no fluid lines are allowed in the cockpit of the car.

SITH 1
Post #9

i would not have my gauges on the bonnet as people rip them off. i have a boost, oil psi gauges sitting on my a pillar.... and yes last year a had my oil psi gauge line split in the cockpit the oil is hot but not that hot, and it shit to get out of carpit.

3000GTCapri
Post #10

my 72 capri has oil pressure stock in the dash amd it is a mechanical gauge so if i get pulled ova and the cop see that the stock gauge is a mechanical gauge he can defect me for having a mechanical gauge in the cockpit????????

WattsyLX
Post #11

Is it a mechanical gauge, or an electronic gauge? Being stock, and mounted into a cars dash, i'd say it would have to be an electronic gauge..... but then again i don't know Capri's! tongue.gif

You can get either - but mechanical tends to be more accurate.

QUOTE (hi_lux @ Jan 9 2005, 10:14 AM)

Thanks for the correction. I'd heard that somewhere but I didn't really think about it when I wrote the post.

Does anyone know if mechanical temperature gauges are legal?

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x