Page 1 of 4
Jump to page
LXS-180
  • LXS-180
  • New User
  • Member No.: 110,990
Post #1 post 9th April 2008 - 09:09 AM
hey Guys n Girls...
After seeing the gathering at the spit on Sunday arvo i really wanted to join the club as im a local for the gold coast and just baught my new ride.

Its a 180sx (dont judge me yet!! tongue.gif) but i have plans for it...

1UZFE...

Thats right kiddies... a 4L, Quad Cam, 32 Valve V8 biggrin.gif

My mate has a Mazda MX5 with this motor currently in it, along with an RX7 (series 5) 5 Spd Manual in it, being managed by a Motec Computer... He wants to upgrade as he says the 4L isnt big enough, so he will probs be putting in a 6L LS2 or sumthing like that...

Hes going to sell me his motor, gearbox, and computer for $3.5K and help me install it for not too much more smile.gif

This wont be happening till around July as a few weeks ago, he got attacked by a widow maker (9" angle grinder) and completly severed all the tendons for his fingers on his right hand. And tendons dont have a blood flow, so they take a while to re-gain all their strength

Apart from the motor conversion, i dont want the car to be too over the top... thinking of doing some sort of light conversion for the head lights as i dont realy like the pop up lights...

Not sure about paint yet either...

Any suggestions will be warmly welcomed smile.gif

Hope to meet some of you soon !

Andy B

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Bullet whos soul ill be stealing!! MWUAHAHA

IPB Image

IPB Image

99v8Lux
Post #2

That would then make the MX5 a Bullet Roadster?
I had one of those motors in my last car. Awesome, and very revvy. Only ended up weighing 30kg more than the old 4 cylinder too! thumbsup.gif
I say, go for it. And if finances allow, a twin turbo setup would be the go!
Keep us all posted. Good luck.

Rookie ROX
Post #3

Wait wait wait.

You're mate is saying a Bullet Roadster isn't fast enough? huh.gif

ROCK ON
R~R

Nova
Post #4

Should be tough if you can squeeze it in lol.

Bet that would be a first.

Can't wait to see it finished.

LXS-180
Post #5

Actually it wont be a first, i have seen a few other s13's with the conversion done.. heres the pic that inspired me to do it... smile.gif

IPB Image

The only real major things i have tow orry about is moving the brake booster over towards the drivers side 20mm and changing the sump over so the bowl is at the front, so it dosnt foul on the steering rack...

Apart from that my mate who is helping put it in said everything else is not a problem (engine mounts/cross members etc etc)

EDIT*** I jsut noticed his brake booster is completly gone... where could it be?? As i really dont want to move the brake booster.. does anyoen know of any other options i have???

Cheers smile.gif

sedate looking
Post #6

Could go with a hot rod style remote booster mount... Plenty around, would assume a duel set up would be the go on something like that though... Vh40 and vh44 remote boosters are the go, can easily be rebuilt..Or get a complete aftermarket set up from hoppers stoppers.. Expect to pay though/..

99v8Lux
Post #7

QUOTE(LXS-180 @ Apr 9 2008, 10:30 AM) [snapback]1282164382[/snapback]

Actually it wont be a first, i have seen a few other s13's with the conversion done.. heres the pic that inspired me to do it... smile.gif

IPB Image

The only real major things i have tow orry about is moving the brake booster over towards the drivers side 20mm and changing the sump over so the bowl is at the front, so it dosnt foul on the steering rack...

Apart from that my mate who is helping put it in said everything else is not a problem (engine mounts/cross members etc etc)

EDIT*** I jsut noticed his brake booster is completly gone... where could it be?? As i really dont want to move the brake booster.. does anyoen know of any other options i have???

Cheers smile.gif

That seems to have a massive amount of room in that engine bay!
I had one in my hilux, and whilst it fit, there wasn't a great deal of room left. They are a very wide vee on the motor.
As for the front sump, use an engine out of a crown. They were front sump.

LXS-180
Post #8

Thanks mate, only prob is, i already have the motor, and it has a rear sump.. but not to worry, you can put a front bowl sump on these, and get a dipstick/pickup/oil filter bracket to suit.. so thats houldnt b a problem

99v8Lux
Post #9

Contact Tom or Greg, at Bullet Roadsters, Yatala. 0733820018
They will swap over sumps for you. But, it is a 3 peice unit. Bowl, pickup, and alloy sump.

Luke
Post #10

welcome.

all cars posted in this thread have been very nice, will read again.

ca_sil80
Post #11

hey mate. u mentioned u didnt like the pop up head lights. the only otha way u can get differents light is if u do a full silvia front conversion or get fixed head lights for ur 180. i got sil 80 looks the bomb

J-Rome
Post #12

Enough time to put up this post Bringkat but not enough time to send me my pics???
What's up with that?
Guess you know who your mates are.
OT: I seriously can't wait for you to do this hey, it's gonna be mad

09ONE
Post #13

QUOTE(99v8Lux @ Apr 9 2008, 09:20 AM) [snapback]1282164055[/snapback]

That would then make the MX5 a Bullet Roadster?
I had one of those motors in my last car. Awesome, and very revvy. Only ended up weighing 30kg more than the old 4 cylinder too! thumbsup.gif
I say, go for it. And if finances allow, a twin turbo setup would be the go!
Keep us all posted. Good luck.

I always thought they were called an MX8?

LXS-180
Post #14

QUOTE(09ONE @ Apr 9 2008, 07:12 PM) [snapback]1282167894[/snapback]

I always thought they were called an MX8?

I dont think they have ever been called an MX8?? Ive never heard of that one...

This MX5 was made b4 the Bullet roadster came out.... you could call this the concept car for Bullet Roadster... The man who built it, was the first to make an MX5 with the 1UZFE in it tongue.gif

ratta tat tat
Post #15

I don't know why you would spend all the time and money doing this swap. 1UZ-FE's have around 180HP atw in stock form and the only way to get impressive power is like 99V8Lux said, forced induction. A bloke on DUT just put an SR20DET in a dual cab hilux and posted his dyno sheet of 280rwkw. I know they are a "run of the mill" conversion, but it's way more bang for buck.

Have a peek at this..
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5308

JAM13
Post #16

just make sure you leave the body stock, love the ca front bar on 180s

LXS-180
Post #17

QUOTE(ratta tat tat @ Apr 12 2008, 11:51 PM) [snapback]1282183791[/snapback]

I don't know why you would spend all the time and money doing this swap. 1UZ-FE's have around 180HP atw in stock form and the only way to get impressive power is like 99V8Lux said, forced induction. A bloke on DUT just put an SR20DET in a dual cab hilux and posted his dyno sheet of 280rwkw. I know they are a "run of the mill" conversion, but it's way more bang for buck.

Have a peek at this..
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5308

Well you pretty much answered my side of the arguement in ur own post. Im sick of "run of the mill" cars... i want sumthign different... And the other reason why im doing this is because i have been for a drive in an MX5 which is a very simlar weighted car, and has the exact motor and gearbox that im getting, and all i can say is.. WOAH!! Its an absolute machine... Instant power rocks!!

One day down the track im going to get another 1uzfe, do it up slowly over time, ie interntals, head work etc etc and either put on ITB's or a Supercharger... depending on power to weight ratio restrictions i have to meet.. smile.gif

LXS-180
Post #18

UPDATE KIDDIES!

10/06/07

My Mates hand is finally better....

Motors are both out.... heres the transplant
IPB Image

A close up of the engine mounts made combined with some from an s13

IPB Image

The fucked up factory manifolds... ..MmmMmmMMMmmm More GRUNT

IPB Image

Current resting place between operations biggrin.gif
IPB Image

There is still quite alot to go even thou the engine is fitted...

A quick list off the top of my head/ones that we CURRENTLY know about:

1. Swar bar needs to be replaced or new one made (one from a ford or cefiro might fit :-\ ???)
2. Clute slave cylinder and pedal need to be installed along with new brake (replace the wide auto one)
3. Gearbox crossmember/mount
4. 180's tailshaft needs to be combined with the RX7 gearbox yolk
5. Fit radiator
6. Help manifold breathe/fit due to collision with steering column
7. Relocate battery so theres room for Air Filter
8. Do something about bonnet hitting on top of motor (only needs to be about a 10-15mm raise)
9. Swap Digital dash for Mechincal one

lil_foy
Post #19

lol@ the bullet not being fast enough.

The 180 is going to hook imo.

Nismoboi
Post #20

looks alright if u need to fix the boonet get and xr8 falcon bulge..and why not build ur own dash cluster imo the digital ones are heaps better

LXS-180
Post #21

id love to keep the digi dash, but cant have it hooked up to the Rx7 Box.. So yeah... im kinda stuck

Nismoboi
Post #22

get a good auto lecy das mate put a ls2 and a 6 speed in some weird sort of car qand got it wired to his digi dash have u had it runnin yet

LXS-180
Post #23

Nah motor isnt running yet, might be by the end of the week though...the guy that is helping me put it is an auto electrician ill have to ask him nicely if he can do sumthing...

memmis_celsior
Post #24

the 1uz-fe motor sounds quite lovely with a 2.5" exhaust system... they are a smooth engine as well..

but yes a 1uz in a 180 will be quite unique and should produce a fair bit of torque... would love to see and hear this thing in action once it is done and running...

lilslyda
Post #25

listen to steve from option 1's car same conversion done but in a silvia absolute machine

LSI80
Post #26

Nice conversion thumbsup.gif

I have some non pop ups for my 180. Got em off ebay Usa.

Here is a pic of my conversion biggrin.gif Need to pull finger out and get crackin on it again

ShooterMcGavin
Post #27

QUOTE(99v8Lux @ Apr 9 2008, 01:43 PM) [snapback]1282165356[/snapback]

That seems to have a massive amount of room in that engine bay!
I had one in my hilux, and whilst it fit, there wasn't a great deal of room left. They are a very wide vee on the motor.
As for the front sump, use an engine out of a crown. They were front sump.

I need a cigarette...

LXS-180
Post #28

A few items can be crossed off the 'to do' list.....

1. Swar bar needs to be replaced or new one made (one from a ford or cefiro might fit :-\ ???)
2. Clutch slave cylinder and pedal need to be installed along with new brake (replace the wide auto one)
3. Gearbox crossmember/mount COMPLETE
4. 180's tailshaft needs to be combined with the RX7 gearbox yolk COMPLETE
5. Fit radiatorCOMPLETE
6. Help manifold breathe/fit due to collision with steering column
7. Relocate battery so theres room for Air Filter
8. Do something about bonnet hitting on top of motor (only needs to be about a 10-15mm raise)
9. Swap Digital dash for Mechincal one

Today will be an attempt at mounting the clutch pedal and slave cylinder... hoping all goes well!!

DJC
Post #29

Nice !

I own a mx5 can't belive he wants more power. lol!

kiwiboy08
Post #30

very nice

scotty_222
Post #31

sounds exciting

LXS-180
Post #32

V8 is running!!!

Wasnt there to hear it... but hopefully by the end of the week ill have the 180 at my house, all major modifications complete!!

So beginning of July youll see me at the Spit!! biggrin.gif

lil_mike
Post #33

how dare he desecrate a bullet roadster ohmy.gif also, not sure he'll be able to get it regitered with the 6L in it........legally anyway tongue.gif

looking good though.

LXS-180
Post #34

hey Guys...

Im kinda stuck looking for mags, ive had a look in a few car shops and online... but im still undecided... I dont wann go much larger than 17... maybe 18's at the most....

Im not looking for BLING wheels, just sumthing nice... Currently my car is grey... but it will be getting painted a bit darker, like a charcol grey... almost black...

heres some mags that i like, but not sure :S

heres my car
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

If anyone has any pics of their own car that ISNT in the 180sx Pics Only Thread (yes ive been thru all 30 pages!!)

Or if you know sumone or somewhere i can get cheap wheels similar to these plz let me know...

Ive already been through http://www.stgeorgetyres.com.au/... they werent too bad

please post them! biggrin.gif

Thanx Guys!!

LXS-180
Post #35

i think ive found them... 18" with tyres (probs shitters) for $1200

IPB Image

What do you think??

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 4
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x