How To: Guard Flaring  

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
70XIN
  • 70XIN
  • TOXIN TOXIN
  • Member No.: 9,849
Post #1 post 17th January 2008 - 06:42 AM
Got some big offset wheels? Guard roller can't get it done? Don't want ridiculous looking riveted-on guards? This is one of the few ways to get around it

I will start by saying, this isn't the hardest mod to do at all, but it takes time and is awfully brutal to do something that's nice. Since this wasn't my own car, and rob wanted to model his car around his wheels, then this was the go.

Brand new Work Equip 03's. 8.5" wide, with -22 offset. These are possibly one of the best wheels there is that could grace an 86.

IPB Image

Obviously, they will never ever ever fit under standard guards, even with the slightly stretched tyres as seen below.

IPB Image

So, guard flare time. First, get one of your minions to jack up the car

IPB Image

We're going to be cutting slits in the guard, allowing us to pull out significantly more metal than with a guard roller. It won't warp the area above the
guard either!

IPB Image

Yours truly cutting the shit out the guard. Would be a nightmare to any car owner seeing this happen .. but it only gets worse.

IPB Image

Now, you can pull out the outer lip by itself, or if you are requiring even more clearance, you can pull out the inner lip. You can vaguely see what i mean.

IPB Image

More of above

IPB Image

Now you can see where the outer lip finishes (white), and the inner lip has been pulled out (silvery-brown area). Looking terrible isn't it?

IPB Image

Now you can start to see how much the guard is coming out over stock. Where the masking tape is, the guard went straight down, now instead has come out on an angle well over an inch.

IPB Image

Test fitting the wheel, you can see that we're getting pretty close to the size we need to clear the wheel/tyre combo.

IPB Image

On the second furthest right cut, and the furthest left cut, you can see that the lip has been ground down a bit on an angle by the grinder to keep the shape of the guard a little.

IPB Image

Next step can be done by silicon, or by welding. I'd suggest the latter, but we didn't have the time, nor care for it. See below for more info.

IPB Image

We didn't show it, but the inner guard and outer guard were tack welded together, and were stopping additional flaring. We had to cut these tacks, and remove the offending pieces of inner guard. This now left a gap between the inner and outer. Unprotected metal + moisture = rust, which most ae86's will have enough of this to start with. So we sealed it up with silicon! Simple!

IPB Image

On with the fibreglass! Remember, wear gloves, and dont rub your eyes when you're handling the stuff. It hurts, trust jesus!

IPB Image

With the fibreglass on, and now sanded back, we started with the body filler. Sure, we put heaps on, and 90% of it is going to be sanded off anyway, but we didnt have time on our hands.

IPB Image

After a couple of layers of filler and sanding, we were getting fairly happy with the shape. Dremel with a cut-off blade was then used to neatly cut (lol) a better shape to the guard.

IPB Image

A few coats of primer-filler (primer, thats slightly thicker, so can fill in little scratches and dimples), a few dabs of nitro-cellulose(?) putty (to fill in bigger imperfections), now all we had to do was wait for the paint and such to dry overnight.

IPB Image

Next morning, sanded it back and put some more filler in places we werent happy with, and applied more primer filler.

IPB Image

Loads of little imperfections, scratches, or humps. Very very minor so they were just filled with putty.

IPB Image

One can of export's finest, and things were looking bettereerrerrer.

IPB Image

Not bad for a can job, at night, with the weather against us.

IPB Image

And the finished product. Sexy time.

IPB Image

Yum

IPB Image

We rushed this somewhat, as rob is an impatient kent, and it still took 2 'full' days. The main time burner is the drying of fibreglass, body filler, and paint ..

There will be problems with the spulling and,grammers,,,of this article. But leave that be, i'm tired. Thanks, Seamus
badkarma85
Post #2

Wow.

GT
Post #3

thats mad. nice work

Nick_RA40
Post #4

I got halfway through reading the process and I was like "oh my god this guy just killed a Hachi" skipped to the bottom photo and said to myself "that looks damn fine".

It's ghetto, there's no denying it. But it looks damn fine my friend.

70XIN
Post #5

"Fluked another one" i think is the correct term.

But thanks anyway tongue.gif thought it might give some people some pointers if they're out of luck trying to fit their wheels smile.gif

35NIK
Post #6

Thats some nice work. good thinking of taking pictures with step by step.

I would love flared guards, but I can't see me going at the R34 with a angle grinder just yet!

lil_rolla_boy
Post #7

awesome job mate

Nova
Post #8

Awesome work, looks great.

The watanabe's looked awesome on it anyway tho tongue.gif

Manic 180
Post #9

*looks at 180

ill move this to the tute section when i cbf'd

JD_Stazza_Brendan
Post #10

WOW,,, Must be a bit nervous when you make the first cut.

evaded
Post #11

Very nice work.

Did you just use a spray can to spray the side of the car or did you get a compressor?

SMiTHBRo
Post #12

nice job! i've seen people just take to their guards with vice grips and start bending :S a mates car was done by shoving a pipe wrench between the tyre & guard.

sedate looking
Post #13

Looks ok, sorry never been big on 60's style flares...

One thing you should of mentioned is that when using an angle grinder around a car you should COVER the rest of the car ... Each and every one of those pretty sparks is a piece of hot steel, which will melt it's way into your paint.. You will not even know you have done it till the next lot of rain, then they all go a nice rust colour....

My idiot brother did the hole in his bonnet with a grinder, he had rust specs from the Bonnett, all over the roof, and on the top edge of the tailgate a week later..... Be warned...

S13_RB26
Post #14

thats awesome!!! thumbsup.gif i like how you done all the pics step by step to show some people how its done

Nick
Post #15

That looks so damn hot! Well done and cheers for the guide!

Luke
Post #16

awesome work mate, looks pretty good smile.gif

DreamensioN
Post #17

hahaha... I was scrolling through the pic thinking it was gonna be a hacked backyard job. Then as I got towards the end I was really impressed.

Good work!!

Ahmad
Post #18

Looks good.

Thanks Seamus smile.gif

clutch-monkey
Post #19

good result! i'd be extremely wary of doing it to my car though unsure.gif

70XIN
Post #20

Yeah it was just touch-up paint spray cans smile.gif

Dori*mon
Post #21

that looks tops, great work!

MD0086
Post #22

thumbsup.gif good work dude
great little DIY article too
people should do this type of thing more often biggrin.gif

FI6
Post #23

That car is just sex.

warney
Post #24

QUOTE(JD_Stazza_Brendan @ Jan 18 2008, 07:32 AM) [snapback]1281825581[/snapback]

WOW,,, Must be a bit nervous when you make the first cut.

Na not when its someone elses car it dont matter tongue.gif

Looks good Tocko smile.gif Shame Rob got a white car as white cars suck tongue.gif

Enjoy your holiday and will chat once ya back smile.gif

LOW70Y
Post #25

WOW, thats rough.....

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

w0057663
Post #26

i was like...another DIY......backyard disaster......then i saw it and was like ouch ouch ouch for the cuts and the bending and the dodgy lookin bits...then got to the final pics and was like hell yeah that looks awesome......

well done mate!

Nova_Racer
Post #27

Looks a tad uneven and thin but it's pretty darn cool.

layinlow
Post #28

thats ruff dude

warney
Post #29

QUOTE(layinlow @ Feb 10 2008, 06:35 PM) [snapback]1281913495[/snapback]

thats ruff dude

Show us yours ? Ohh thats right you aint done it before smile.gif

series 5
Post #30

Lookin good toxin, I was reading that article while looking at the rear end of my car, except I have fuck all patience lol

Good work

mooky
Post #31

good work dude
great little DIY article too
people should do this type of thing more often

if i bought that car i would put two new quaters on it and do it properly ,,,i dont like the way you did that at all

warney
Post #32

QUOTE(mooky @ Feb 10 2008, 10:14 PM) [snapback]1281914682[/snapback]

if i bought that car i would put two new quaters on it and do it properly ,,,i dont like the way you did that at all

What if you cant get them ???? How do you think panel beaters do it ? They stretch the shit out of the guards......

mooky
Post #33

i would fab up some new flares in the same shape as the old one but a wider and a bigger arch and totally remove the old ones and weld on the new fabbed flares higher so it looks factory not hacked to shit and siliconed back up

warney
Post #34

QUOTE(mooky @ Feb 10 2008, 10:22 PM) [snapback]1281914723[/snapback]

i would fab up some new flares in the same shape as the old one but a wider and a bigger arch and totally remove the old ones and weld on the new fabbed flares higher so it looks factory not hacked to shit and siliconed back up

"This is one of the few ways to get around it"

Its a option , what if you couldnt make the flared guards ? His saying its another way out , and later on down the track flares could be an option ???

mooky
Post #35

QUOTE(layinlow @ Feb 10 2008, 06:35 PM)

thats ruff dude

Show us yours ? Ohh thats right you aint done it before

man i woulndt be a smart ass when what you did is not a good way to do it ,,, it is what it is ,a really ruff way to do it if that is all you are wanting for you car then cut and silicone a way but you cant hide the fact ,that way is ruff

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x