Katherine Residents Help Required  

Rupax
  • Rupax
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 37,195
Post #1 post 7th April 2006 - 03:43 PM
Im sure you have all seen what has happened in Katherine. As a business owner in Katherine and an avid street machiner i am organising a fund raiser for all the hundereds of people who have been effected by this dissaster.

What can you do ? I will be speaking with the HEAT crew and asking their assistance in organizing a cruise to Katherine in a couple of weeks. I propose a cruise leaving Saturday lunch time and a charity night at my business in Katherine, Diggers Den Tavern. All of your help would be great at this traumatic time.

PLease post yout thoughts here and i will update soon. Times like this the aussie spirit will shine !

Nigel

Diggers Den Tavern Katherine.
KaOTiK
Post #2

Anything I can do to help mate. My parents own the Terrace Cafe. Whilst it wasn't affected that badly, alot of the ppl who work for them weren't quite as lucky. Let me know if there's anything ya need. thumbsup.gif

Axecent
Post #3

i'm willing to be there i used to go down 2 a months with my foks before 1998 and never could thinking how much water would need to be to flood that pack, Katherine its a great place. i hope everyone is ok. smile.gif

Becky
Post #4

id love to go but unfortunately i cant make it...working 24/7 at the mo...

if theres anything i can do (organising/cash sponsor of some sort....anything) gimme a yell!

Brett gts-4
Post #5

im in!... only driven through there once in my whole life, but im still in, its for a good cause smile.gif

Gassdup
Post #6

QUOTE(Rupax @ Apr 7 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]6092984[/snapback]

Im sure you have all seen what has happened in Katherine. As a business owner in Katherine and an avid street machiner i am organising a fund raiser for all the hundereds of people who have been effected by this dissaster.

What can you do ? I will be speaking with the HEAT crew and asking their assistance in organizing a cruise to Katherine in a couple of weeks. I propose a cruise leaving Saturday lunch time and a charity night at my business in Katherine, Diggers Den Tavern. All of your help would be great at this traumatic time.

PLease post yout thoughts here and i will update soon. Times like this the aussie spirit will shine !

Nigel

Diggers Den Tavern Katherine.

you know me mate im in biggrin.gif

Post #7

I have friends in Katherine and it is a territory town so I want to be in this for sure.

Havealine
Post #8

Count me in on this one. Lets do what ever we can to help.

Captain Avatar
Post #9

I'm interested. As I also work 24/7 with full time Uni, I'll need a date with a bit of notice so I can get everything done, but I'm certainly interested. Is there somewhere the non Katherine people can stay for the night?

TEMPTRS
Post #10

Pending fuel money - I'm in

get a life
Post #11

the falcon is an absolute fuel destroyer in the suburbs with the new mods. should be awesome on the hiway though. count me in. ill bring a hundred pairs of gum boots smile.gif all depends on if im called in to work though unfortunatly.

Rupax
Post #12

Thanks for the response guys & girls, i am organising some free accomodation at one of the back packers too. The more the merrier so let as many people know as you can, i will post a date shortly.

Thanks again.

rolloke70_89
Post #13

i have also posted this thread on rollaclub to see if any of those guys would like to come down, but its not only bout the darwin guys we have to also get all the katherine guys togother it may not seem like it but there are a few of us

edspaged2
Post #14

I'll get in contact with some of my mates in Katherine. A few of them you may know. They will be interested. Im from Katherine myself but currently here in Darwin for uni.

Calais_Man
Post #15

If the dates good i should be able to make it out for sure

ELLA
Post #16

somone PM droopz he lives there i think he could help and would prolly want to be involved.

Ill def be in for coming down for the day but i will no doubt have work on the sat night so will have to go home in the PM to get ready for work.

i will ask for the night off tho if im lucky illl get it, definately a worthy cause smile.gif

edspaged2
Post #17

Yeah droopz is one of my mates. I'll give him a call today and as well as someothers in Kath.

RBNT
Post #18

Ill do my best to make it, do we have some dates yet?

Cheers,
Ken

Becky
Post #19

just a word of warning....rumour has it flooding is due again very shortly...some rain is forecast over the next few days so maybe a cruise sooner rather than later isnt advisable....last thing u want is darwin-ites stranded in Katherine....

just a thought

TEMPTRS
Post #20

Droopz has lost everything. He is more active on another forum and this was his post:

Town got it fucking easy!

Just got back into town and thought id jump on for a sec.

Just so you all know the Camaro survived. I managed to drive it throught over a foot of water in the early stages, onto a mates block who has an old cattle loading ramp that he let me park it on. We also got mums mini up there.

But we've lost everything else. Ive had about 6 foot of water through my place and with the current knocking everything high over, nothing really survived.

The shed, with all our tools and gear went 7 foot under, with the bug, impala, EK and a mates combi.

We had no warning and no time, it just came too fast. We had been cut off from town for a day already so we had no way to get stuff out anyway. The police assured us (when we rang them with water to our slab) that "it would only come up another 500mm". Bullsh!t.

Once the house had 1 meter through it, we swam all the kennel dogs and our dogs up to a high block and waited. It came up to that block so we moved them all to a higher block with a high level house, and have spent 5 days with 20 loud, scared hungry animals. We air lifted my mum and GF out and the old man and i stayed to do the things that had to be done. Our area (Gorge Road) went under first, the most and we got NO support. Those of us who stayed back spent most of our time rescuing people and animals.

Apart from the camaro and my computer tower, my GF and i lost everything so its gonna be a hard slog for a while. We cant even pick through the mud for stuff untill the insurance guys look at it all.

After spending 5 days in water and mud the 2 shorts and 2 shirts and one pair of shoes i had are destroyed and ive lost my wallet, phone, passports birth cert etc, so im waiting for the bank to open so i can get some money to buy a shirt and thongs. Ive got over 27 lacerations and open blisters on my feet and legs so god-knows how many diseases ive picked up :S

Ill sign off now since the bank should be open now. If my computer starts up ok and the place we're staying all jump on a bit later and put up some pics.

Having a cruise wont be a good idea in the next month - 6 weeks just due to the reason that people are busy cleaning up and trying to get back things they have lost. They don't need a group of "kids" (as they will see us) coming through making a lot of noise.

KaOTiK
Post #21

Ah well. I'll be going down in the next couple weeks anywayz to see the olds. Shall see what i can see...

4g15
Post #22

Well tell us when yo uwork out the exact dates./

TEMPTRS
Post #23

update from droopz:

Thanks everyone.

We've been out to the block a few times now. We couldnt really take anything still, waiting for the insurance assessor to go out. We towed the mates Combie out and spent a few hours walking up fence-lines picking up any photos and CDs that survived.

I tryed to start the Camaro again yesterday. I didnt spend much time on it as we have other priorities, but it wouldnt fire. She got a decent gut-full of water when i was driving it out and up the ramp. But like a few have said, im not bothered. Its just a car.

We just got a call from the dad at the block, mine and Petas property WILL NOT be covered under their insurance like we hoped. The guy said we could apply at Centerlink for up to $5000 so it looks like we'll ahve to do that instead.

S@#$. Well im off to take peta to darwin. We need to get clothes and shoes and S@#$.

Thanks again everyone. Ill jump on again when i can.

Cheers.

TEMPTRS
Post #24

new update:

Well the assessor went through and did his thing this morning. Like i mentioned since Peta and I were in a different dweling, our gear didnt come under my parents contents coverage which is a bit of a blow. I guess it not too bad, since we're both young and didnt have TOO much stuff.

My biggest losses were mostly electrics obvioulsy, but its not untill you go to replace them, that you realise how much your clothes, and misc shit is really worth. Then when I started factoring in tools, equipment and parts that ive lost in the sheds, the scope of the work ahead really starts to take focus.

The bug needs a new motor or a full rebuild which is a pain. I just got the frigging thing ready for rego. The interior and electrics were very basic to begine with so not too much work there. The impala got hit prity hard. The 350 was on a stand and went under. Water and mud in every port so replace or rebuild. The interior is rooted alot of the pannel work we had just done was still exposed so might get a little rusty and bog we didt know about has started to pop off.

Even without our stuff added, mum and dad were about 50% under insured for their contents. Fortunatly TIO is not enforcing that bullsh!t where if your 50% under insured, you only get 50% of your total amount. So mum and dad should get enough to put them back on their feet and replace all the stuf that needs replacing.

The buildings themselves, both the main house and our flat will be bulldozed. Dad will then basicly rebuild the exact same buildings 2.7m up in the air. So we're looking at a 4-6 month rebuild there. They just bought a 2nd hand caravan to live in so they can stay on the block during the rebuild. Peta and I have been staying at her dads house in town.

Figuring out our priorities buying everything is hard now that we're up in darwin with a limited amount of cash. We got some clothes and shoes and stuff and I got a few bits for my computer to get it up and running again, so at least i can make sure all my photos and videos are ok. Apart from that we're just keen to get back down there and 'get into it' as they say.

Ive got to go back to the doc's soon to get all my injuries looked at. Apparently walking/swimming through chest deep water and mud with no shoes and shirt for 5 days isnt that good for you. Ive got a lot of cuts and blisters and shit on my feet and legs that are a little tender, some bad sun burn on my back and a bloody cold that i cant shake.

Well that about all she wrote for now. All things considered we're actually in fairly high spirits. Its only stuff, plently of time and opertunity to get more. Thanks again for everyones support and comments.

Stay safe and stay dry everyone tongue.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x