Screamer Pipe  

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
racer by night
  • racer by night
  • Senior User
  • Member No.: 3,325
Post #1 post 18th May 2005 - 12:18 AM
hey all, whats the fine / points if you get caught with a screamer pipe ?

--------------------
EFI Performance - 3801 8075
Hilly
Post #2

Venting exhuast before the last seal in your floor pan
Venting exhaust that hasnt past through you cat
Excessive noise!

4X4 Monkey
Post #3

and over the pits u go for a ass reaming

crazy_bunny
Post #4

ud get owned... really owned.. and if ur unlucky u wont pass emissions and then thats a REALLY big fine...

73RRA
Post #5

Same fine as having no cat, which IIRC is a big fine, have fun smile.gif

70XIN
Post #6

but think of how rad it would be at 7K revs going through a car-park

*bouces off walls* facesjump.gif

4X4 Monkey
Post #7

haha

[BOOF-88]
Post #8

hahahahaha

umm yea.. i suggest having like a attachment that you can take on and off man wink.gif screamer pipes sound SMIT in car parks.... and look cool when you let off and its not tuned that good biggrin.gif

FIRE haahaha FIRE

I AM CORNHOLIOOO!!!!

09ONE
Post #9

QUOTE([BOOF-88] @ May 18 2005, 06:52 PM)
hahahahaha

umm yea.. i suggest having like a attachment that you can take on and off man wink.gif screamer pipes sound SMIT in car parks.... and look cool when you let off and its not tuned that good biggrin.gif

FIRE haahaha FIRE

I AM CORNHOLIOOO!!!!
[right][snapback]5124834[/snapback][/right]

If you are suggesting that you will get flames out of a screamer pipe, I think you are wrong, the screamer will only vent when the turbo is on full boost (whatever PSI that may be) not when you back off the throttle like a BOV.

racer by night
Post #10

anyone else know how much the fine is or how many points gets takin off ya licence, i just hope its not a $10,000 fine like 73RRA said

[BOOF-88]
Post #11

QUOTE([BOOF-88)
,May 18 2005, 06:52 PM]hahahahaha

FIRE haahaha FIRE

I AM CORNHOLIOOO!!!!
[right][snapback]5124834[/snapback][/right]

i ment that the engine would run rich for that second and backfire throu the wastegate.... you only need to hit full boost (clutch in???) and let it vent...

used to do it in a mates old turbo gsr (old external wastegate)

Pie
Post #12

If you are suggesting that you will get flames out of a screamer pipe, I think you are wrong, the screamer will only vent when the turbo is on full boost (whatever PSI that may be) not when you back off the throttle like a BOV.

yes your correct but you will definitely get flames in most cases. check out all the drag movies.

crazy_bunny
Post #13

QUOTE(racer by night @ May 18 2005, 07:06 PM)
anyone else know how much the fine is or how many points gets takin off ya licence, i just hope its not a $10,000 fine like 73RRA said
[right][snapback]5124859[/snapback][/right]

yes if ur emissions are not legal... its upto 10 000fine or something like that

abusive
Post #14

What exactly is a screamer pipe? Never heard of one.

73RRA
Post #15

Yep $10 000 fine smile.gif, abusive a screamer pipe is an open pipe coming off the wastegate (internal and external) that vents to the atmo not back into the exhaust. Pointless in most street cars IMHO.

abusive
Post #16

So under full boost it is just 'wooshing' i take it? Anyone got a vid or audio on how it sounds? Just interested because im not sure if i have heard it.

[BOOF-88]
Post #17

QUOTE(73RRA @ May 18 2005, 09:23 PM)
Yep $10 000 fine smile.gif, abusive a screamer pipe is an open pipe coming off the wastegate (internal and external) that vents to the atmo not back into the exhaust. Pointless in most street cars IMHO.
[right][snapback]5125073[/snapback][/right]

pointless because of they are defectable and HIGHLY illegal

they are higher flowing than if it was plumbed back in im sure...

in theory anyway

73RRA
Post #18

Heres a 2 videos of a cyborg lancer with a screamer pipe.

http://www.widsm.org/cdw91gvr4/LIL%20EVO%20VS%204SFED.wmv 8.3mb

http://www.widsm.org/cdw91gvr4/LIL%20EVO%2...4SFED%20(2).wmv 4.3mb

abusive
Post #19

You could run a solenoid (similar to the MR GASKET exhaust one) that changes from exhaust to atmo.... heheh... flick of a switch.

The Pupat
Post #20

QUOTE(Pie @ May 18 2005, 07:17 PM)
yes your correct but you will definitely get flames in most cases. check out all the drag movies.
[right][snapback]5124876[/snapback][/right]

Not even close. Flames don't come out a wastegate on back off because the wastegate is shut (has to be). When drag cars shoot flames out a screamer pipe will be when they are staging and that has to do with the motor being rev limited by either the computer or the stall, plus timing and tune and a few other factors.

Ohh and it's high illegal to run a screamer pipe and mostly pointless on anything on the street. I've also heard in the order of 10,000 for the fine from the EPA but I haven't seen or can't remember the proof for it.

roweysvn
Post #21

So what does a screamer pipe actually do, i know some cars have them, but what are the gains?

IEATU
Post #22

QUOTE(roweysvn @ May 19 2005, 12:08 AM)
So what does a screamer pipe actually do, i know some cars have them, but what are the gains?

In internal gates, its fairy stupid, and sound fucked at idle, like a bad exaust leak. Unless vented back.

external gates, well if joined into exaust it can cause turbulence, and slow exaust gasses. you can also get gains if joined in correctly.( Length of the pipe where it joins back in ),

but its illegal to join back in, but sounds tuff us. plus it dosnt affect your exaust gasses at all.

drifterbynite
Post #23

i got one on S5 rx7 fuck it loud but i have got enough HP not to stop for the pigs fuck pigs catch me if they can

Sir Holden
Post #24

QUOTE(drifterbynite @ May 19 2005, 09:57 AM)
i got one on S5 rx7 fuck it loud but i have got enough HP not to stop for the pigs fuck pigs catch me  if they can
[right][snapback]5125420[/snapback][/right]

Damn, you really are cool.

Nessaja
Post #25

I can see screamers becomming the next generation blow off valves...

its a shame really considering there ARE street cars that do NEED them and its the little dickheads who dont need them but get them because they want that attention which is going to ruin it for the rest of us...

If you dont know what it is then dont worry about it, and if you do know what it is then you'll understand cars running big turbos as 20+ pound of boost are the only cars the really need them...

I urge anyone considering in getting a screamer not to get it, as its only going to make it harder for the cars with bigger hp to get away with them...

The Pupat
Post #26

QUOTE(IEATU @ May 19 2005, 12:50 AM)
In internal gates, its fairy stupid, and sound fucked at idle, like a bad exaust leak. Unless vented back.

external gates, well if joined into exaust it can cause turbulence, and slow exaust gasses. you can also get gains if joined in correctly.( Length of the pipe where it joins back in ),

but its illegal to join back in, but sounds tuff us. plus it dosnt affect your exaust gasses at all.
[right][snapback]5125289[/snapback][/right]

english mate.

A screamer pipe is a pipe that comes off wastegate and vents to atmosphere.

On a normal turbo car the wastegate is part of the turbo (internally gated) and the air is bypased past the turbine straight into the dump pipe.

When you run a big turbo and have to use an external wastegate (wastegate is no longer part of the turbo) to control the turbo you take exhaust gas from infront of the turbo and bypass it back into the exhaust after the turbo. A screamer pipe instead of sending this exhaust gas back into the rest of the exhaust system just vents it straight to atmosphere usually in or around the engine bay. It has the advantage in that if you are trying to flow very high amounts of exhaust gas (and hence power) you remove some exhaust trying to be pushed through the full exhaust system and hence you would get less back pressure and hence better boost control.

A screamer pipe gets its name from the sound it make, since there is no mufflers or silencers on the pipe it is very very loud when venting gas.

But they are highly illegal and are pointly unless you are going to push very big hp and boost.

QuicKSilveR
Post #27

True, They are noisy as all hell.....more so than a whoosing BOV. Love em though, but you can tell why they not legal - Would scare the shit out of some granny.

Also its not plumbed back through the CAT so your up for some big pollution fines.

70YIN_180
Post #28

QUOTE(The Pupat @ May 19 2005, 01:27 PM)
english mate.

A screamer pipe is a pipe that comes off wastegate and vents to atmosphere.

On a normal turbo car the wastegate is part of the turbo (internally gated) and the air is bypased past the turbine straight into the dump pipe.

[right][snapback]5125687[/snapback][/right]

not entirely true.. u can still have a separate dump for an internally gated turbo.. i have one! mine joins back into the exhaust before the cat, but there is no reason why you couldnt have a screamer pipe on in internally gated turbo.. however its obviously pretty pointless

wyze
Post #29

Just found this site with a handy page on screamer pipes
screamer pipes

They are not really practical - too loud for most tracks and illegal when caught with them on the road!

70XIN
Post #30

QUOTE(wyze @ Jun 28 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]1281196960[/snapback]

screamer pipes

They are not really practical - too loud for most tracks and illegal when caught with them on the road!

Seeing the only track within 100km of brisbane that's viable is QR .. and half the drift cars that go out have screamer pipes .. I must say that you're talking shit.

v8silvia
Post #31

true and some just go straight out of the bonnet

rotang
Post #32

Screamers are cool, but if you put one after your stock pea shooter turbo you are clearly a phag smile.gif

blacky05
Post #33

You will get a defect, excessive noise and not too much more because most cops wont even know what it is. But you could probably get done for a lot more than that if the cop knows what hes looking at (not a dig at cops).

Mr.B
Post #34

Way to recover a 2 year old thread...unsure.gif

HSV
Post #35

QUOTE(wyze @ Jun 28 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]1281196960[/snapback]

screamer pipes

Nice way to introduce yourself to Boost by dragging up a 2 year old thread wink.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x