Au Falcon Issues ! Help ! - Seatbelt icon on dash flashing/beeping  

Slydin-Cressy-Style
  • Slydin-Cressy-Style
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 30,712
Post #1 post 12th April 2011 - 05:05 AM
While driving my AU Series 3 Falcon today, the seabelt icon on my dash started to flash. Shortly after the flashing started, a beeping noise started. The beeping and flashing continued all the way home. What caused this beeping and flashing ?? It is a sign of an error somewhere in the car / engine ??

Thanks

Josh

--------------------
IPB Image

IPB Image
jebby88
Post #2

Probably just a loose wiring or maybe there's a fault in the computer. AU's are terribly cars. My mother and another relative both have AU's. The rear seatbelts don't retract in both and the indicator that tells you how many kilomoters left before you hit empty is always wrong. Probably just a loose wiring or maybe there's a fault in the computer.

E U R E K A M A D 9 4
Post #3

Check the earth on your seatbelt.

Slydin-Cressy-Style
Post #4

Thanks for the replys guys. I drove the car today as per normal and nothing happend ?? Is the flashing seatbelt icon representing an error code ??

rolla boi
Post #5

Its the switch inside your belt buckle which is basically a reminder that your seat belt isn't on. I wouldn't stress out but if it comes on more frequently I'd check the wiring off your belt buckle and maybe quite possibly your going to need to change the buckle.

iamhappy46
Post #6

It is the reminder to put your seat belt on of all things... pain in the butt. Try not putting the seat belt on and after a few minutes, it will do exactly as you described because the seatbelt buckle switch is not telling the car you have your seat belt on

Keep in mind, that if the car does not sense the belt buckle being latched correctly, it will not deploy airbags on those seats

rolla boi
Post #7

QUOTE (iamhappy46 @ Apr 15 2011, 11:18 PM) *
It is the reminder to put your seat belt on of all things... pain in the butt. Try not putting the seat belt on and after a few minutes, it will do exactly as you described because the seatbelt buckle switch is not telling the car you have your seat belt on

Keep in mind, that if the car does not sense the belt buckle being latched correctly, it will not deploy airbags on those seats

It deploys whether or not the seat belt is buckled

iamhappy46
Post #8

Not in an AU Series 2 onwards it doesnt. The SRS system RELIES on the seatbelt to slow movement which means that if the seatbelt is not functional, the SRS airbag cannot deploy correctly to prevent body damage

rolla boi
Post #9

True, well stupid design feature from ford then

iamhappy46
Post #10

Most late model cars have it, VY onwards Commodore has it as well for exact same reason... how can an airbag deploy safely if the car designer does not know where the occupant will be in a crash? In the case of the passenger seat, it also means that if there is only a driver in the car, what is the point of deploying the passenger airbag if it does nothing except cost more for the car to be repaired.

rolla boi
Post #11

QUOTE (iamhappy46 @ Apr 18 2011, 12:44 AM) *
Most late model cars have it, VY onwards Commodore has it as well for exact same reason... how can an airbag deploy safely if the car designer does not know where the occupant will be in a crash? In the case of the passenger seat, it also means that if there is only a driver in the car, what is the point of deploying the passenger airbag if it does nothing except cost more for the car to be repaired.

I just think its quite silly just for this reason. If the driver has a faulty seat belt sensor like this case I wouldn't like the airbag not to go off. In the drivers case a car is always going to have a driver and it's a law to wear your seatbelt whilst driving(so its the drivers fault for not wearing one in the case where it may deploy regardless). I know alot of euro cars still deploy whether or not the buckle is secured on both passenger and driver. In the event of an accident I think the the cost of replacing a so called not needed airbag would be the last worry compared to the other costs(airbag control units, sensors, body repairs etc etc).

iamhappy46
Post #12

Might want to look at a few cars at Pickles Auctions then... it was VAG(VW and Audi group) who first started doing it in the late 90's wink.gif

Also look at how many countries it is LAW to wear a seatbelt smile.gif

rolla boi
Post #13

QUOTE (iamhappy46 @ Apr 19 2011, 01:09 AM) *
Might want to look at a few cars at Pickles Auctions then... it was VAG(VW and Audi group) who first started doing it in the late 90's wink.gif

Well times have changed and they don't go in that direction anymore.

Also look at how many countries it is LAW to wear a seatbelt smile.gif

At the end of the day, this is my opinion and I'm obviously guessing yours. I know the safety hazards that are caused by them deploying when driver not restrained but at least its trying to save them opposed to them going through the screen or hitting the steering wheel. Pretty much if they don't deploy and your not restrained your pretty much dead

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x