Sr20det In A Pulsar N14  

Page 3 of 3
Jump to page
iamhappy46
Post #71

I designed the 5 stud conversion myself, the adaptors and getting the brakes working correctly is the hardest part.

Altima parts are hard to source, as the VQ35 swaps are common in the B15 Sentra in the USA. I have sourced my motors through one contact I have, they are not cheap but less than 30,000Km's on the motors makes them a good base to start with smile.gif

Contrary to popular belief, the engine fits nicely in the engine bay with the only requirement being the below 'tag' of metal on the timing cover being removed to as the brake master cylinder sits roughly where this metal tags sits.

As you can see from the back of the motor, its not really much bigger than an SR20DE engine, it also sits lower in the engine bay and weighs as much as an SR20 motor.

Reece_911
Post #72

i bet it looks a fuckload sexier than a sr20 too. wow thats not a problem at all 2 minutes with a grinder and its done. so tell me about your supposedly better V6 conversion into a pulsar?

iamhappy46
Post #73

It is 'better' in that the motor weighs as much as an SR20, has heaps more power, more torque and a much smoother with its power delivery(well, in stock form atleast) but it is not a simple swap. This is the fourth VQ swap I have done and also the most complex since I am using a 6 speed box.

It is possible to use the Australian delivered VQ30DE engine and 5 speed gearbox from a Maxima, which would make it a LOT simpler and more importantly, fit with modifed factory engine mounts wink.gif

Reece_911
Post #74

so is the vq30de out of the maxima? love the wiring haha. 3 litres is alright but i really would like the extra half a litre more. what would you say is the most time consuming or expensive part of the vq35de conversion?

chall136
Post #75

Does anyone knowbif I have change the loom for an sr20 from a ga16.. I have an n15.. And the sr is out of an n13 pulsar Q..

iamhappy46
Post #76

QUOTE (Reece_911 @ Aug 1 2010, 07:30 PM) *
so is the vq30de out of the maxima? love the wiring haha. 3 litres is alright but i really would like the extra half a litre more. what would you say is the most time consuming or expensive part of the vq35de conversion?

The wiring loom actualy ends up with less than 40 wires in total for the entire engine and gearbox loom, which since the stock SR20 uses 33 is quite easy to add in a few extra wires smile.gif

Time consuming part: Removing the cylinder head to get the head machined to move the intake cam sensor to the exhaust cam, then get the exhaust cam notched to match the ECU cam signal

Add the cost of Headbolts

RB25 Camshaft Tone wheel:

VQ30 Tone Wheel:

Expensive part: Sourcing a good engine, having a custom radiator made, custom extractors, modifying the stock wiring loom... oh and TIME.

As for engine bay looks:

This sits on top of the stock motor, tidies up the engine bay nicely by hiding the wiring loom/injectors/coilpacks etc smile.gif

The engine cover also hides the 6 port dry nitrous system that I am fitting at the moment to the stock VQ35 inlet manifold smile.gif

Reece_911
Post #77

ahh okay so are you gonna tape em up? wow thattone wheel on the vq35 looks very different to the RB25 one. whys that? so would most good mechanics know how to do this conversion? cos its obvious i wouldnt be able to do it myself. nitrous aye? man you are my hero. i can only dream of doing these things to my pulsar. but i have extremely high hopes for it. so is there any point in maybe getting a FMIC now? just so i can start modifying the front bar to suit it. also would the vq35 engine interfere with a front strut brace?

iamhappy46
Post #78

QUOTE (chall136 @ Aug 1 2010, 11:06 PM) *
Does anyone knowbif I have change the loom for an sr20 from a ga16.. I have an n15.. And the sr is out of an n13 pulsar Q..

Yes, you need to use an N14 or N15 SR20 wiring loom in an N15.
N13 never came from the factory with an SR20. If your car is an N14 Q with an SR20, then yes you can swap over the entire loom. If the N13 has had an engine transplant, then no doubt the wiring loom will be butchered.

QUOTE (Reece_911 @ Aug 2 2010, 10:35 PM) *
ahh okay so are you gonna tape em up? wow thattone wheel on the vq35 looks very different to the RB25 one. whys that? so would most good mechanics know how to do this conversion? cos its obvious i wouldnt be able to do it myself. nitrous aye? man you are my hero. i can only dream of doing these things to my pulsar. but i have extremely high hopes for it. so is there any point in maybe getting a FMIC now? just so i can start modifying the front bar to suit it. also would the vq35 engine interfere with a front strut brace?

Wires are already taped up wink.gif

The VQ tone wheel is a VQ30 one, not VQ35. Means I can chip the VQ30 ECU to suit the modifications. You cant actually use the tone wheels either, you need to 'recreate' them on the end of the camshaft so the stock VQ35 sensor knows when to fire each cylinder etc. It is truly a pain in the ass swap wink.gif
I doubt anyone else in Australia would be willing to try this swap, I know I wont be doing one again any time soon...

Nitrous is a little way off, no need for it yet with its current power output but finding those holes in the stock manifold will come in handy one day soon.

No point getting a FMIC yet, will just attract police attention

Yep, VQ35 hits on the stock N14 FWD strut brace... GTiR strut brace fits though wink.gif

Reece_911
Post #79

yeah that really does sound like a pain in the ass. so how do you "recreate" them? well you never know. some plucky young fella with a white n14 pulsar that goes on boostcruising might try it tongue.gif ahh now that is good information to have. no point buying a n14 fwd strut brace then.

iamhappy46
Post #80

Recreating the cam signal is the primary reason it most likely wont be done in australia again for quite a long time wink.gif I spent 2 months getting it right smile.gif

Buy a GTiR Strut brace, same price and they fit normal SR20 engines, as well as the SR20VE and GA16 smile.gif

Reece_911
Post #81

haha too easy. i got new 17" rims for my car today. many proud of them. so have you done any dyno runs/ 1/4 mile times yet?

iSpool
Post #82

I know this is a little late haha but does anyone know if i can run an s13 loom in my n14? i just have purchased everything to go from Dizzy to CAS except the engine loom. does anyone know any tricks to help me or can tell me if im on the right track?

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 3 of 3
Jump to page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x