Vpsiiman's Holden - VP V6 Turbo  

Page 1 of 3
Jump to page
VPSIIMAN
  • VPSIIMAN
  • I have many leather bound books
  • Member No.: 33,618
Post #1 post 4th May 2009 - 07:00 PM

hey thought i'd show you guys my car, and the work i've done to it since i've had it

this is what it looked like when i purchased back in 2003

after a few years i did general cosmetic stuff

18" mags, calais spats, lip spoiler, lowered, bonnet buldge etc

with the 20's

late 07 i decided it needed a freshen up, it took about 10 months from organising the parts, to gettin the motor back in the car - heres the specs

the motor is fully rebuilt and dynamically balanced with an acl race series rebuild kit
has all crow valve and timing gear ( valve springs, retainers, lifters, 2mm longer pushrods, timing chain, valves)
tighe 1081 cam (nice and big they say)
new genuine crankshaft
ported heads and inlet
v8 throttle body
32lb fpv injectors
2 bar map sensor
msd coils
custom made 10mm topgun leads as coil packs are relocated
walbro gss341 pump
Haltech E6GMX
and some dress up stuff to make it good
Exhaust 3" high flow cat and 3" lukey with 1 muffer and 1 resonator

and its also turbocharged, turbo kit is stainles manifold, alloy intercooler piping, ebay turbo, turbosmart bov

and i converted it to manual
the manual conversion was purchased from the wreckers and then the box dropped off to gear torque for a full rebuild and to get the gears cryogenically treated.
tailshaft has been rebalanced and has all new centre bearing and uni's

here is a few pics of the change over

and the final result (coils moved, fuel reg installed and generally neated up since these pics)

july of 08 i trailered it down to get a run in tune, we went very conservative running just 5psi.

at 5PSI it made 240rwhp and 598Ftlb of torque

interior i've got saas racing seats and a saas sports wheel, sterio is below average but meh

i've also made a custom gauge pod under the radio

after driving it for a bit i realised i was going to need some better brakes, so i purchased and installed a upgrade taken the fronts from 290mm sinlge piston to 330mm twin's and the rear from 275mm single's to 315mm single piston. i alos rolled the gaurds and threw in a adjustable panhard bar as i was having scrubbing issues with it being on ultralow springs

and some pics with the mags actually finally fitted for good

january this year the car just started flooding with fuel and fouling the plugs, the car was off the road for 5 weeks and i spent 700 bucks tryin to figure out what was wrong with it at another shop, decided to take it to 101 motorsport and it took rob 5 minutes to diagnose the map sensor was dead.

dyno'd the car as it was and made 240, same as at other place.
rob then just actually fixed up the tune because timing had been set at 17 degress from 0-5100 (where they had the limiter)
that was fixed and limiter moved to 6000
re-dyno made 270hp on 5psi i was pretty happy with that
so i put my new spring in the wastegate that i thought was a 14psi, he started dynoing, got to 2500rpm and it was already at 18psi and making 175hp at the wheels, bit dangerous for the motor, so back in went the old spring and we decided to just bleed it off

ok. so re-dyno again
from 2600rpm to 4400rpm the car ran 10psi at which point it steadily decreased to 7.5psi at 6000rpm
exh housing building up to much pressure and the spring cant hold it :drool:
anyway the car ended up making 306.4rwhp which is damn good, considering it did that with about 8.5psi at that time

unfortunately my video camera was flat, and my phones camera is fked, so no video's guys :)

all i got is the dyno

after driving it like this for a couple of months the exedy HD clutch started slipping hard, so after a call to NPC and telling them i didnt want a button as its daily driven we settled on a 10.5inch flywheel with HD clutch modified from a BA MK1 XR6-T and a ripshift

i thought all was sweet and then i noticed it started blowing black smoke, hooray, the turbo has blown a seal, so i figured i might as well step it up and i now have in my possession

Garrett GT35 with 82 rear
Turbosmart ultra 38 wastegatee
Turbosmart 800hp fuel reg
3.45 diff gears

so the car has been down at 101 motorsport for the last few weeks getting the gt35r fitted, along with other goodies

was down watchin it get dyno'd 2/5/09 and it has ended with mixed results

bad stuff
fuel pump and injectors are now to small -
wastegate is to small -

so with a 7psi spring in the gate still crept up to 11psi and she made 352.9rwhp at 5200rpm before it was way to lean to continue
so rob has put in a boost cut at 8psi which kicks in around 3500rpm ;) until we upgrade everything else

heres the dyno

This post has been edited by AGI78-VP: Mar 8 2010, 05:37 PM
Vpsiiman's Holden

--------------------

Comments

• Boost Network 88
  • 45SET
    Post #2

That is a VERY nice build you have done. Definitely something you should be very proud of.

Good work, and keep us posted on updates.

Substate
    Post #3

That....is insane! Great thread mate, awesome to see the progression!

lukeRB30
    Post #4

wow looks awsome dude and impresive hp off a v6 great work

VPSIIMAN
    Post #5

lastest thing i have just pruchased is a set of 60lb injectors and i am going to try to run 2 walbro 550hp intank pumps, that should sort out the fuel issues im having, and to sort out the boost creeping up, im plaing on putting on a 2nd 38mm wastegate

heres a pic of the 35r fitted, only got that back on saturday

IPB Image

mark1414
    Post #6

Thats awesome, just shows these commodores can still look great if the effort is put in.

Nice buildup, good to see you put in the effort to write about it.

Awesome power too!

50HRD
    Post #7

thats mad with those rims

23ILU
    Post #8

very nice build mate, keep us posted :drool:

blown351
    Post #9

Looks killer mate uve done well..good horsepower to!

boostnpulsar
    Post #10

fuck yes man, that was a pleasure to read, great to see someone putting in the time and effort, only thing i disagree with was the e-bay turbo, but u have had that appointed! awsome man, great job, best of luck... should see 500ponies once your gremlins are sorted!!

NVS_084
    Post #11

Thats a fucking Awesome Vp dude, How much roughly has it cost you so far ?

SMiTHBRo
    Post #12

Normally I don't like VN/VP series commos, but yours is nicely built and looks fucking tough! Well done, I'm curious to see what it makes with some more boost :drool:

alex338
    Post #13

usually i hate V6 commodores... they're just shit, but this is really cool, cant wait to see what power it makes with more boost and the fuel problems fixed

good work

5000BE
    Post #14

nice transformation, done really well

LVNLOW
    Post #15

fuck yeah nice car dude loving it
    was it hard relocating the battery into the boot?

Cheers!

MrEVL
    Post #16

you really have done an excellent job mate very very impressed

ALSO TOP WORK ON THE POST VERY WELL EXPLAINED

helrzr925
    Post #17

awesome build mate, u should be proud of it, it makes great power for a six banger

and where did you get those head covers from mate?

PetieR32
    Post #18

hey mate that is sweet, very cool to see what it started out as and to what u have turned it into.
    lovin it even more because its looks are not over the top.
    Congrats on the build.

I3uddah
    Post #19

Very nice :drool: U have done well. Keep us posted with the new tunes.

VPSIIMAN
    Post #20

QUOTE(helrzr925 @ May 4 2009, 07:44 PM) [snapback]1284006290[/snapback]

awesome build mate, u should be proud of it, it makes great power for a six banger

and where did you get those head covers from mate?

valve covers are made by kilkenny castings, go for about $200 bucks through repco etc

Ryanzzz
    Post #21

love a good diy job, looks awesome :drool:

VPSIIMAN
    Post #22

QUOTE(LVNLOW @ May 4 2009, 07:39 PM) [snapback]1284006262[/snapback]

fuck yeah nice car dude loving it
    was it hard relocating the battery into the boot?

Cheers!

just ran a 1 gauge cable for the power to the battery in the boot, and joined that up to all the existing shit at the front.

and just grounded the negitive to the bolt that holds the rear seat in

SIK 31
    Post #23

nice post, great car :drool:

aldow_88
    Post #24

Nice work, will be insane with abit more boost!

88200sx
    Post #25

enjoyed reading this thread for a change, top effort on the build definitly something special. you have a fan :drool:

2jz_calais
    Post #26

nice.good work

VN-COM
    Post #27

good power figures for a V6, would be interesting to see how much more can be squeezed out of it with the probs sorted

psiwpn
    Post #28

that looks a million bucks. perfect in everyy way. i love it. goodwork.

GTIR_PIMP
    Post #29

great work champ ! looks sick

woodstock88
    Post #30

fuck yeh glad to see a v6 commo getting some serious engine work instead of a fucking ugly later model bodykit. 350hp is pretty ballsy. nice work

64MBL
    Post #31

thats is sexy mate loving the work :drool:

116hks
    Post #32

Looks good mate. I admitt i'm not a commodore fan but, thats off tap. Well done, good seeing something different for a change.

VPSIIMAN
    Post #33

unclepaulie
    Post #34

nice commodore mate, but your post is even better, pleasure to read, no stupid acronym things too

this is how VP/VN's should be done. if i see someone put a VE style kit on one ima slap em

modified ss front bar would set it off perfectly

DK777
    Post #35

AWSUM build man, great work... ur making great power! alot money poured in. good luck :drool:

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
    • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 3
    Jump to page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x