Logan City Council Are Absolute Muppets  

lewwy
  • lewwy
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 85,293
Post #1 post 5th April 2009 - 10:57 PM
Hi All,

I was driving through Beenleigh on saturday, when I saw this sucker as I was coming over the crest (attached). Not having enough time to slow down, I hit it doing about 40km/h. When I got home, I heard a loud hissing noise from the front right tyre.

Sure enough, it'd punched a hole right through my tyre and it went flat in a matter of minutes. I contacted the council and advised them of the hole in the road, and they fixed it later that day (thats pretty prompt, i'll admit, even though they missed one on the road running parallel that maeks you swerve into the oncoming lane to miss it).

So I ring them up at 8am on a saturday morning and get put through to the emergency department. After listing the location of the potholes to "Dickie" I then asked who foots the bill for a new tyre. She informed me, straight up, that the council will provide me with their insurance details to claim it against, and that I just had to ring back in normal business hours.

So I ring this afternoon and get put through to Suzanne in the finance area who informs me, AFTER i've spent the $120 on a new tyre, that no, they don't cover that sort of thing. After pressing her on the issue and her sputtering and stuttering more than my excel after it had been thrashed through mud puddles, she could only keep repeating herself on some act (public liabilities act) which abstained council from incidents and that she could take down my details and pass them through to the road repairers who would repair it (even though it's already been done).

I don't understand why I pay money for a traffic improvement fee when the road's arent being improved, much less why I pay rates. They've come along and chucked a bit of a tarmac down the hole, which'll probably just pop off the next time it rains.

tl;dr: Drove through a pothole, screwed my tyre, council doesnt want to cough up irrespective of it being their fault.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Is there anyone I can ring to take this higher, or do I have to just suck up the $120?

This post has been edited by lewwy: Apr 5 2009, 10:57 PM
HSV
Post #2

I busted a tyre on a pothole.

$350 later I have a new one.

Suck it up princess.

biggrin.gif

fusion88
Post #3

lol i just got big fucking nail though mine lol 30 dollar repair job

when we had all the floods up here in Queensland the council where lazy @#$!s and i remember having to dodge the same pot holes for a month

Street Tuned
Post #4

Nah I with lewwy on this you pay good money each year to have safe and usable roads.

It is their responsibility to provide it or stop asking for money.

it like if you pay someone to fit a body kit, they fit it and paint but do a shitty enough job the kit comes loose and goes under your car and wrecks your exhaust. Due to their negligence you now not only have a fucked front bumper but now a fucked exhaust. AND THEY ARE LIABLE.

it isnt too bad so sad. They are responsible for the road so long as you are paying rego. If your car was unregistered then it would be a different story.

keep at it until they pay out or take them to small claims court.

dobermann90
Post #5

they should have fixed it... but it looks like its still wet.. and the hole full of water. they cant fix it when it still wet. it wont work.

next time you should swerve around it.

When_in_doubt_powerout
Post #6

See if you bought the tyres i sell i would have given you a new one for free under our road hazard warranty policy...

dobermann90
Post #7

^^^ Nice Business plug tongue.gif

When_in_doubt_powerout
Post #8

QUOTE(dobermann90 @ Apr 6 2009, 06:38 PM) [snapback]1283858533[/snapback]

^^^ Nice Business plug tongue.gif

I thought so too.....tongue.gif

BOZZO
Post #9

isn't rego going up again soon. Who ever know compton rd the end part at calamvale the centre lane is pothole heaven and they've recently redone that part a year or 2 ago. Also King av round willawong heading to inala is pretty bad.

Cookie
Post #10

i think your shit outa luck dude, with all this rain theres no way they can keep on top of it, a main road here in redcliffe has a hole that size every 10m, but good luck

BOZZO
Post #11

why is it that as soon as rain falls our roads lift like shit. Can't they eever get it right.

666ALX
Post #12

if you wanna see pot-holes drive up the dagular highway, there everywhere! i have to drive up it every morning, keeps me on me toes at 6 AM tongue.gif

rxpress
Post #13

you won't get anywhere in court. council can't be paying for new tyres every time you supposedly bust one on a pothole. the best you can do is report the hole and have them fix it asap.

no matter what you say, council will just rebut that they have hundreds of pot holes to fill, and do not have the resources to locate them all and fix them immediately.

blacky83
Post #14

I remember reading somewhere that the only time the council can be liable if you report something hazardous, and then after a reasonable amount of time they still haven't fixed the problem, then it becomes negligent. If you suffer damage to property after this, then I think they are responsible.

They aren't liable through general wear and tear.

Rookie ROX
Post #15

QUOTE(blacky83 @ Apr 6 2009, 07:38 PM) [snapback]1283858961[/snapback]

I remember reading somewhere that the only time the council can be liable if you report something hazardous, and then after a reasonable amount of time they still haven't fixed the problem, then it becomes negligent. If you suffer damage to property after this, then I think they are responsible.

Basically.

They'll basically only cover it if it has been reported to them, and they haven't yet repaired it. Potholes happen when it rains, you can't expect them to repair something when they don't know about it.

It's only $120. Live and let learn.

ROCK ON
R~R

zorak
Post #16

Interesting, I claimed against Main Roads years back and got 2 new wheels/tires. Have also got two mates who have submitted paperwork for a wheel/tire each for a pothole out my way.

Keep you updated on progress

evaded
Post #17

I hit that exact same pothole. got out and got quite a shock. I think I have a small leak now will have to keep an eye on it sad.gif

Rookie ROX
Post #18

Oh let's also make it known you've got less of a chance getting money out of a local council than you are out of the State Government (ie. Logan CC vs Main Roads).

ROCK ON
R~R

lewwy
Post #19

i understand that its probably unreasonable for them to have to fix potholes straight away but i'm still annoyed because:

1. the lady on saturday told me a completely different story

2. the pothole on the road running parralel still isnt fixed. you have to swerve into the oncoming lane to get around it.

3. the council has come along and chucked a bit of tarmac down the hole to "fix" the issue. what happens when you plug a hole and pressure builds behind it? it pops straght back off! honestly our roads in beenleigh are more bandaid fixes than actual roads

i'd be interested in taking this further, i'm going to write a letter and see wha that does.

DAM0
Post #20

QUOTE(When_in_doubt_powerout @ Apr 6 2009, 06:32 PM) [snapback]1283858477[/snapback]

See if you bought the tyres i sell i would have given you a new one for free under our road hazard warranty policy...

Wooh I've got this biggrin.gif haha.

On topic: I remember reading a similar thread recently, in Brisbane City the deal was if the council knew about the hole, and hadn't repaired it yet, you got money out of them. If the hole had just appeared in the over night storm/other event and they didn't know about it yet, you could get anything out of them. Seemed like the perfect opportunity for them to inact the Three D's Policy, Deny Deny Deny.

*Just realise a few have said this already above :|

w0057663
Post #21

cant do anythin about it mate...its u against the government.....and the government always wins....jus gotta foot the bill and hope u dont score another one....and with one lady telling you one thing and another sayin it is completely different...thats what u get when u ring up any council...and even DOT/MAIN ROADS>>>>

RHI-SEE
Post #22

meh. all i no is jax quik fix actually told us that if you need a tire replaced due to unsafe roads then you can claim back against whoever maintains that particular road. dont qoute me on it but thats what he said after we raplced our 6th wheel in a month due to nails through the wheels.

jisadhasi
Post #23

isn't rego going up again soon. Who ever know compton rd the end part at calamvale the centre lane is pothole heaven and they've recently redone that part a year or 2 ago. Also King av round willawong heading to inala is pretty bad.

Azazel
Post #24

Wow what fantasy planet do you live on? Its your car, dodge the pothole or get a new tyre. Everyones always passing the buck on for there problems. What are you gonna say if you hit a kangaroo, shit Mr Kangaroo I pay my taxes, and now your gonna fix my car or maybe even my local council.

And if it happened in Beenleigh wouldn't you call Beenleigh council as it isnt in Logan's area. As technically Beenleigh is Gold Coast Shire

Suck it up sunshine

dobermann90
Post #25

^^^ well said. bowrofl.gif

EFO
Post #26

graffiti the road til they do something about it

allblaqk
Post #27

h2drive tongue.gif

MPS 3
Post #28

QUOTE(blacky83 @ Apr 6 2009, 07:38 PM) [snapback]1283858961[/snapback]

Close, Council will pay for repairs to your car if.......They have repaired the hole and it comes back and you hit it. Fresh holes don't count, sorry. I have a friend who claimed for a pothole (bad repair and it reappeared) He actually hammered the wheel so hard it was useless. Council paid for 4 new wheels because his wheels were no longer available to replace just the one. Check with council regarding repairs before you make a claim, so you can pick the pothole you want to claim off. Use it against them if you are desperate for a repair or buy rims and tyres with bigger sidewalls (or a 4x4).

allblaqk
Post #29

Woo. I know the exact pothole to use when I want new wheels, it resurfaces every few months.

lewwy
Post #30

QUOTE(Azazel @ Apr 7 2009, 09:50 PM) [snapback]1283867089[/snapback]

Wow what fantasy planet do you live on? Its your car, dodge the pothole or get a new tyre. Everyones always passing the buck on for there problems. What are you gonna say if you hit a kangaroo, shit Mr Kangaroo I pay my taxes, and now your gonna fix my car or maybe even my local council.

And if it happened in Beenleigh wouldn't you call Beenleigh council as it isnt in Logan's area. As technically Beenleigh is Gold Coast Shire

Suck it up sunshine

What fantasy planet? The one where I actually read threads properly before trying to shut down the OP. If you read the thread properly you'd notice that I was told on saturday that they would foot the bill, while that story changed on the following Monday. Also chucking a bit of tarmac down the hole isnt a lasting solution, it'll pop out the next time it rains. In any case misinformation sucks.

Also I don't pay a fee to keep kangaroos under control. I do pay a fee to keep our roads safe. Learn the difference.

eggman
Post #31

theyre giving you the shaft. A guy i work with, his son hit a pothole and blew a tyre and cracked the rim (20"). Council ponied up around $1000 for replacement. He was given a specific tyre place to go to and they had all the council insurance garbage there for him to sign.

Azazel
Post #32

QUOTE(lewwy @ Apr 8 2009, 11:28 AM) [snapback]1283869228[/snapback]

What fantasy planet? The one where I actually read threads properly before trying to shut down the OP. If you read the thread properly you'd notice that I was told on saturday that they would foot the bill, while that story changed on the following Monday. Also chucking a bit of tarmac down the hole isnt a lasting solution, it'll pop out the next time it rains. In any case misinformation sucks.

Also I don't pay a fee to keep kangaroos under control. I do pay a fee to keep our roads safe. Learn the difference.

O dear, fortunately i do read the posts clearly. Yeh for you to call up on the Saturday in the first place, is what im talking about.

Also chucking a bit of tarmac down the hole isnt a lasting solution, it'll pop out the next time it rains

I didn't argue this point? I also agree incorrect information does 'suck'.

Maybe you don't understand metaphors. I was saying that your still blaming somebody else for something out of there control. It's $120 have a bloddy cry. You alerted them of a problem, they fixed it timely. I can only say well done for acting so quickly so nobody else's car is damaged. Next time drive to the conditions

lewwy
Post #33

QUOTE(Azazel @ Apr 8 2009, 12:48 PM) [snapback]1283869656[/snapback]

O dear, fortunately i do read the posts clearly. Yeh for you to call up on the Saturday in the first place, is what im talking about.
Also chucking a bit of tarmac down the hole isnt a lasting solution, it'll pop out the next time it rains

I didn't argue this point? I also agree incorrect information does 'suck'.

Maybe you don't understand metaphors. I was saying that your still blaming somebody else for something out of there control. It's $120 have a bloddy cry. You alerted them of a problem, they fixed it timely. I can only say well done for acting so quickly so nobody else's car is damaged. Next time drive to the conditions

Lol yeah suppose you're right. Sorry for raging against you but it was a compounded issue. I suppose atleast I can afford the $120, lucky i'm not dead broke.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x