What Are The Laws On Importing A Damaged Vehicle To Australia - from overseas.... like the USA..  

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
MoneyPower
  • MoneyPower
  • Senior User
  • Member No.: 151,739
Post #1 post 25th February 2009 - 09:17 PM
Curious to know....

Can you buy a US built car, thats damaged, with salvage title in the US, and import it into the country, repair it, convert to RHD and sell it?

Obviously the profit margin must be high to make profit here, but I'm just curious..

--------------------
QLD VTEC number plates for sale.
White on blue background.
Make an offer.

FKN-10W
Post #2

woulda thought theres an easier way to make some dosh laugh.gif

MoneyPower
Post #3

Im talking about spending $50K, fixing, and selling for $150K..

MR 3KGT
Post #4

QUOTE(MoneyPower @ Feb 26 2009, 04:32 PM) [snapback]1283646606[/snapback]

Im talking about spending $50K, fixing, and selling for $150K..

LOL Good luck mate.

Medic_01
Post #5

i was under the impression that damaged or rusted cars couldn't be imported

systemcrasher
Post #6

So you will buy, ship and fix the car with 50K and sell it for 150k???

it ain't gonna work like that mate..

It's like saying import crashed RX-7 from Japan for 10k, let's say, modify it with 40k and sell it for 150k....

90% of the cars still depreciate no matter what mods you chuck in.. and converting to RHD isn't exactly like opening a can of coke

QUOTE(Medic_01 @ Feb 26 2009, 05:52 PM) [snapback]1283646738[/snapback]

i was under the impression that damaged or rusted cars couldn't be imported

Can import parts only if the cars been damaged - you can from Japan at least... And if it was originally a race car, I am 90% positive you will need Cam license to import (even just the parts)

MoneyPower
Post #7

I'm not talking about a shitty RX7 with shitty RX7 mods thats worth $30K here.

And I said i was curious about our import policies, nothing more.

I'm curious to know if their salvage title still appears on our database when its imported on a car thats WORTH $150K+ in STOCK form....

mattyjoe
Post #8

why would you convert it to RHD i thought they were worth more kept original????

MoneyPower
Post #9

Its not a Mustang.

fullysickr31
Post #10

well wat da hell is it then dude

FKN-10W
Post #11

we wont steal ur idea....

trust me laugh.gif

systemcrasher
Post #12

i am having trouble to pick an american car that is worth 150k stock.... other than Mustangs.... Corvette Z06..... and that's about it...

And from who labels RX7 shitty, I don't expect to see much of an inventory either

fullysickr31
Post #13

hes probly a 15 year old makin bulll sh it storys up about hows hes goin get rich

^sims^
Post #14

I have an idea

How about.. if you know the answer to the question.. answer it.. if not, get the fuck out!

QUOTE(fullysickr31 @ Feb 26 2009, 05:39 PM) [snapback]1283647079[/snapback]

hes probly a 15 year old makin bulll sh it storys up about hows hes goin get rich

You're a fucking retard. You have no idea.

systemcrasher
Post #15

QUOTE(^sims^ @ Feb 26 2009, 06:58 PM) [snapback]1283647216[/snapback]

I have an idea

How about.. if you know the answer to the question.. answer it.. if not, get the fuck out!

Your post hardly answers his questions either... at this stage, I've given more relevant information than you have tongue.gif

MoneyPower
Post #16

QUOTE(systemcrasher @ Feb 26 2009, 05:39 PM) [snapback]1283647074[/snapback]

i am having trouble to pick an american car that is worth 150k stock.... other than Mustangs.... Corvette Z06..... and that's about it...

And from who labels RX7 shitty, I don't expect to see much of an inventory either

Yes, thats it... I'd spend $50K on a car, repair it, convert it to RHD, then sell it back to America! dunno.gif bowrofl.gif bowrofl.gif bowrofl.gif bowrofl.gif

You were close but. Its an 06 Viper SRT10 for $25K US. C6 Z06 Vettes are going for the same price too though.

I wouldnt do it, unless I *fully* looked into it, but this is just step 1 and I'd like to know the import rules around this.

Medic_01
Post #17

dude 25k US is about $38,584 AU

add another $50,000 AU for the "mods" you want.

that's almost $90 grand right there

this car better be worth it. actually, who the hell has that kind of disposable income ?? (and posts here on boostrcrusing...) ??

antonio
Post #18

QUOTE(Medic_01 @ Feb 26 2009, 08:17 PM) [snapback]1283647776[/snapback]
actually, who the hell has that kind of disposable income ?? (and posts here on boostrcrusing...) ??

*nods & winks*

Personally i dont think its going to fly, have you done the maths for the work to be done to the car? Like a RHD conversion is VERY expensive if the moulds are not popular, and if your aiming to make big profit then the car cant be that popular so there may not be moulds.. its not a swap rack/dash job theres ALOT of work and most of it comes in kits that cost ALOT of money.

best of luck tho!

Croma
Post #19

it would be cheaper to fly over to the USA repair it there (parts and labor would be cheaper ) then have it sent to Aus.. then convert it ..

stephen16
Post #20

and with the financial crisis who is gonna buy it anyway laugh.gif , no1 is buying cars at the moment

and since when were rx7's mentioned in the same sentence as shitty, obveiousily someone who likes rediculiously heavy american chunks of steel that arent fast due to thier lard asses

8OSANAC
Post #21

People are buying cars still just not pricey ones. Cousins been trying to sell his mustang for 60k and yeah no go. He doesn't need to sell it, just put it up to see if anythings biting. Only a few called in 4months.

N13DET
Post #22

http://raws.infrastructure.gov.au/

hope this helps

EUniqe
Post #23

i'd buy it.

QUOTE(stephen16 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:03 PM) [snapback]1283648647[/snapback]

and with the financial crisis who is gonna buy it anyway laugh.gif , no1 is buying cars at the moment

thats what they said about the new ferrari california. but hey look, they sold out within like a week. you'd be suprised who's bying what nowadays, i think.

N13DET
Post #24

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm viper

Beetle
Post #25

QUOTE(stephen16 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:33 PM) [snapback]1283648647[/snapback]

and since when were rx7's mentioned in the same sentence as shitty, obveiousily someone who likes rediculiously heavy american chunks of steel that arent fast due to thier lard asses

No, people aren't NOT buying cars at the moment. People aren't buying modified RX7s at the moment. Or skylines. Or supras. Or aristos. Or WRXs. Or any other dime a dozen import, for that matter. That is, unless they've just got their open license and want to put themselves in a mountain of debt because they HAVE to have a skyline, but they can totally afford it coz they've got an apprenticeship and shit, yo!

Cars like the mustangs, chargers, camaros, monaros etc are starting to spend longer and longer on the market because people are finally realising that they aren't worth $60,000, and yes......the financial "crisis" has everyone spooked.

The people with serious money, the kind of people that this SRT10 Viper would be aimed at, are still willing to spend that kind of money on the car that they want. They've got the disposable income, and if they are so inclined to spend it, they will.

EUniqe
Post #26

^ wel sed

20VGT
Post #27

www.dotars.gov.au

MoneyPower
Post #28

QUOTE(Medic_01 @ Feb 26 2009, 07:17 PM) [snapback]1283647776[/snapback]

dude 25k US is about $38,584 AU

add another $50,000 AU for the "mods" you want.

that's almost $90 grand right there

this car better be worth it. actually, who the hell has that kind of disposable income ?? (and posts here on boostrcrusing...) ??

yes $25K is about $39K but then you have to import it / customs / docks / boat / container / etc..... oh wait, thats nearly $50K! facesjump.gif

What mods? Its a SRT10 Viper. No one wants a modded 06 model Viper....

$koundral
Post #29

ur a dosh u u wont make any money or much if any to much money time and effort needed 2 do what u want.

and theres not many ppl that will spend 150 000 grand atm on a car like that

SiL8E
Post #30

not sure on the importing part but you can definetly make good money on it, u can pick 300C's & X5's up for less than 10k in the states, here they got for 40k + just to give an example.

systemcrasher
Post #31

found this on the net today

The cost to ship a car overseas varies based on the size of the car, operating condition and destination. Cars located closer to shipping terminals cost less.

Typical costs:

Transporting a standard-sized car from the US to Australia costs about $2,950.

What should be included:
Auto movers transport cars by ship from several locations including San Francisco and Los Angeles in California; Jacksonville or Miami in Florida; New York City, New York; Norfolk, Virginia; Charleston, South Carolina; Wilmington, Delaware and Baltimore, Maryland.
Car owners not living near a terminal generally contract with the overseas shipper or a local auto mover to transport the car to an overseas shipping location. Depending on the distance from home to a shipping dock, the price can start at $100 for a few miles and climb up to $900 from a Midwest state.
Vehicles are either driven onto the ship or into auto containers which measure 7x7x19-feet long. Large or oversized vehicles will cost $150 -$250 more to ship from a state to a terminal along with an additional surcharge aboard ship.
Paperwork needed to ship a vehicle includes two copies of a notarized title, a Shipper Export Declaration form and a Declaration of Dangerous Goods form. Both may be downloaded for free. Notaries charge about $10 per signature.

Additional costs:
Autos must meet the safety standards of the destination country, according to Watzmann.net. Also, be aware that repair and replacement parts for a US manufactured vehicle may be pricey or difficult to come by.
Shipping insurance for the vehicle runs 1.5 %-2.5% of the estimated value, or about $300 -$500 for a car valued at $20,000. Some individual auto policies cover transport.
Ask the shipper about port of entry taxes in Europe that may cost about 150 euros or around $200 USD.

Non-operational vehicles will be charged extra for loading and unloading difficulties.

Discounts:
Some auto movers offer a discount if more than one car is shipped.

Shopping for shipping a car overseas:
International Movers.com has an online locator for overseas auto shippers.

http://www.costhelper.com/cost/home-garden...r-overseas.html

What the website doesn't cover is the Import Tax... I believe it's gets applied once the value of what you import reaches the threshold (I think it's anything over 1000 dollars)...

Anchor
Post #32

Pm me. Uncle does this for a living, i can give you his number.

Jerry

LUXPSI
Post #33

Yes you can make money by importing cars from the US to Aust then selling it.

For examle, I got a few quotes done for getting a H2 imported and converted. The initial purchase of the H2 would be around 25k-30k for a top of the range one.

Import costs, tax, duty and container was around 10k.

Cost of the conversion was going to be around the 25k mark for a mirror conversion.

There was some other stuff but that I probably forgot to mention, but yeah..profit can be made.

It all added up to around 90k

And companys like Performax International do the same thing and sell them off for around the 140k-150k mark.

nferno
Post #34

Its all a pipe dream bro, pretty sure if you import a wreck these days you can never re-register it. Its basiclly how 80% of late model cars use to come into the country

stroked-vh
Post #35

Under the legislation, you cannot import a vehicle that is deemed to have, or have had in the past (whether repaired or not), any structural damage. Obviously what is considered structural damage is subjective to a degree, but that's the legislation in a nutshell.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x