Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
Marshwa
  • Marshwa
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 61,696
Post #1 post 5th June 2008 - 08:27 PM
Hey all

Just looking into buying a sierra as my next car, heard there great little 4x4s although they do lack a bit in power.

Bigger tyres and a lift will be a must, as i will wanna take it off road a bit and treat it like a zook. Although will have to drive it as a dialy as well, so was just wondering according to peoples personal preference/experiences what, are there any models better then the other. Some basic mods aside from engine conversions that would give it a bit more power and there cost. And if anyones has had it done the cost of a vintara conversion, or similar engine.

Bit of a late add in question. I was just wondering i am under the new p plate laws in queensland, think i can now go for the green ones dunno.gif , and have come to understand that u are not aloud to have a mod plate whilst under the restriction. Question is however does this include mod plates regard lift heights, wheels, seat rails etc? anyone who has delt with this already or knows something i don't, and feed back is good.

Cheers in advance
Max

This post has been edited by Marshwa: Jul 21 2008, 03:11 AM
wasfishing
Post #2

Dont think u can g past a zook as a value for money fourby, some things u mite want to do, ungrade the suspention as they are a old car now so the shock n springs are more than likley stuffed, to make them go faster 32/36 weber and a full exaust will make it abit better but its always goin to be slow. a set of decent tyres and u should b fairly unstopable.

Marshwa
Post #3

cheers mate, and yeh always here good thing about them, thanks

neil_se
Post #4

The wide track (1989-1995) leaf sprung models are the pick of the bunch. They've got the widest aftermarket parts and spares availability. If you put on larger tyres then transfer reduction gears help a lot in retaining driveability by reducing high range back to stock revs and slowing things down for offroad.

Marshwa
Post #5

The wide track (1989-1995) leaf sprung models are the pick of the bunch. They've got the widest aftermarket parts and spares availability. If you put on larger tyres then transfer reduction gears help a lot in retaining driveability by reducing high range back to stock revs and slowing things down for offroad.

Thanks mate, kind of feedbak i was after, have heard from some of my mates and various articals that the 96 onward are the way to go cause of the coil suspension, but great to get a different perspective. And yeh if its gonna be driven hard would want there to be alot of spares around, so will keep what u said in mind, thanks man

Max

Devildriver666
Post #6

My mate has a little zook and he's spent thousands of $$$ and hours into his,his has Lux diffs,three link coiled rear,corrolla 1.3 with nissan fuel injection(and all that shit),seris 3 rockhopper gears,2"Body lift,2"sus,2" wheel spacers,arb lockers front and rear,exo cage,35's,and a heap of ohter stuff,and it is unstoppable,Ive never seen him return for a climb or step unsucsessful and it shows up my lux(arb lockers front and rear,big lift,36's and well 12 g worth of stuff done to it)..
Its a crazy little zook...Im gunna sell my lux and buy one drool.gif

neil_se
Post #7

Jump on the outerlimits or auszookers forums and you won't find much support for the coil models if any. With Patrols and Cruisers coily is the pick, but in Sierras they're very difficult to get aftermarket parts for. Definitely opt for the wide track leafy if you want to do real 4WDing.

Marshwa
Post #8

yeh tru, thanks alot man

noddy4570
Post #9

just go with big hilux diff with a v6 in them then they go fast

neil_se
Post #10

And it would also defeat the point of buying a light nimble Sierra rolleyes.gif

spec_ops_pootrol
Post #11

i have seen zooks get many places they are insane big wheels n luift n they are near unstoppable, u could even get a gti motor for em

patts
Post #12

my mate put in a suzi swift gti motor.gives it heaps moe powa for a 1.3. he got 2 inch body 3 spring and 33. tuff and goes anywere

Marshwa
Post #13

my mate put in a suzi swift gti motor.gives it heaps moe powa for a 1.3. he got 2 inch body 3 spring and 33. tuff and goes anywere

Yeh wat i was keen to do but a mate just told me, mod plates arn't aloowed on the new p plate laws meaning no engine conversions, so i guess i'll just have to have some fun with the stock engines for a while and see wat can be done to it. Does anyone no, with that law nnot allowing mod plates does that include lift kits and new seat rails and so forth? Not complaining just curious

patts
Post #14

um im in SA so i dont have to deal with that crap. he got vs seats put in it. set back a lil bit so more leg room heaps comfy

DEADZOOK
Post #15

i'v had 6 of them and have built several others with coils, leafs, engine conversions, diff conversions...ect and in my experience the more mod'd out you get them the more dramas you have when shit does go wrong- you cant buy a straight replacment part for a custom part...
like i said i'v built some wild shit and found if you want everyday reliability but still want a rig that will be a mountain goat you cant co past a leaf sprung zook with a spring over conversion, front locker, rock hopper gears and 31's. thats all you need to be a bad bastard. to a certain degree, you can only go so big before you start going backwards. eg you can have to best zook in the world and still be out driven by a stocker. start out small(ish biggrin.gif ) then if your keen to go apeshit then go all out.
one of mine

another

one i built for trev on 35's

these 4bs are awsome fun and cheap to own and mod. good luck with it bud.

Marshwa
Post #16

i'v had 6 of them and have built several others with coils, leafs, engine conversions, diff conversions...ect and in my experience the more mod'd out you get them the more dramas you have when shit does go wrong- you cant buy a straight replacment part for a custom part...
like i said i'v built some wild shit and found if you want everyday reliability but still want a rig that will be a mountain goat you cant co past a leaf sprung zook with a spring over conversion, front locker, rock hopper gears and 31's. thats all you need to be a bad bastard. to a certain degree, you can only go so big before you start going backwards. eg you can have to best zook in the world and still be out driven by a stocker. start out small(ish ) then if your keen to go apeshit then go all out.

Thanks bud ur a ledgend, yeh don't wanna go crazy ay just want a descent thrasher/daily driver that i can take anywhere and looks tough. Love the look of all ur zooks man, just keen on something like ur last one there but only like u said only 31's. Keen to have a go a spraying it in something easily repaired like a matt black and just slowly learn how to hit the tracks and not worry to much bout blimishes.

Cheers man, max

DEADZOOK
Post #17

a convertible is the go.... you tip it over it dont matter so much cause everything bolts on ( windscreen- on leafspring models-, taxi hoop, doors) where as hard top your fuk'd- bin there. you can pic up a good reliable one anywhere from 1000 bucks to 3000. i wouldnt spend too much more if your not gonna be scared of giving it some battle scares. the worlds easiest car to drive and repair... you'll have shit loads of fun. i do....

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Marshwa
Post #18

hahaha nice, thanks again mate. just another question u don't find them hard or annoying for town driving without having power steering and big wheels and such? or they go fine?

DEADZOOK
Post #19

na they are real light in the steering on the road. they only really get heavy when you lock(weld) the front diff- but you do get used to it and dont really notice it after a few bush trips, and it makes them climb shit like a mountain goat. they are a little gutless with the factory donk on the road but in the bush you wont have any complaints about power and they chew fuck all fuel- my old one with the factory donk used to get around 450 k's from 40 litres flogging the living fuk out of it, dunno what i would have got driving normally cause i couldnt help my self biggrin.gif .

Marshwa
Post #20

Oh thats alright then, thanks alot mate, have to fix my car up and sell it off then i'll be straight onto one biggrin.gif . Thanks for everything bud helped out alot!

Cheers Max

Chipp
Post #21

i heard a corolla engine will bolt straight in might up the power abit

Marshwa
Post #22

oh true, have heard of someone with one in a vintara and was said to go hard. Although found out the other day not aloud engine conversions on with the new p plate scheme, so i've be living with the stocko enigne for a while

DEADZOOK
Post #23

QUOTE(Chipp @ Jun 11 2008, 08:24 PM) [snapback]1282460176[/snapback]

i heard a corolla engine will bolt straight in might up the power abit

na they dont they are completely different. probably the most simple conversion i know of is the carbi vitara or the fwd baleno engine which will give you a little more power, but wont kick your ass into the seat. they do go good with 1.6 bottom end and the 1.3 head with a webber. the injected donk is real good and relatively simple to get into the car if you have a bit of an idea about cars, but you'll have to use the 1.3 gear box cause the vitara box dont fit in the tunnel and the transfer case set up is different.
by far the most apeshit conversion i have had is the 100kw 4age and t50 sprinter box combo. i have ripped injected 5 litre commodores burnout.gif up to about 130k's then the diff ratio's let it down a bit. bit fukn scary in a lifted zook, but shitloads of fun. i was gonna turbo it, but it already is a bit hairy cause of the power... call me a skirt, but i prefer not to be going so fast next time i roll one. garentee'd fun whenever it gets driven tho.

Marshwa
Post #24

Hahaha cheers mate,sounds like a bit of fun indeed, well now gotta sell off me FTO and i'll be in the market for a zook, cheers for all the help people

Dj KoniX
Post #25

Yeah i've got a zook with a gti donk, love scaring commo drivers with the snorkel induction smile.gif have yet to do any serious 4wd'n but its very capable

Marshwa
Post #26

bahahah thats tops bro, have too look into the gti conversion if i ever blew an engine heard from a few people there pretty awesome

WICKED
Post #27

not sure where ya are but I'd say coily zook! Bit more coin but more legal when modded.

tas corolla
Post #28

the only issue with coil zooks is you need to think about the mods a bit more and do a bit more your self
but it would be a nicer ride and all that

WICKED
Post #29

QUOTE(tas corolla @ Jul 2 2008, 08:30 AM) [snapback]1282553854[/snapback]

the only issue with coil zooks is you need to think about the mods a bit more and do a bit more your self

How so?
There is HEAPS of after market stuff here and in the States for them!

Marshwa
Post #30

not sure where ya are but I'd say coily zook! Bit more coin but more legal when modded.

yeh one of my mates swears on coilys, reakins there the only way to go, just so much nicer ride and way better flex. But then again DEADZOOK swears otherwise and he sounds to have had a fuk load of experience wtih zooks, guess it comes down to personal preference and cost maybe. not to sure

WICKED
Post #31

You can Leagally mod a Coil easier and more legally.

neil_se
Post #32

Mods are much harder to come by for coil models as the US didn't get coily Samurais. Aftermarket suspension and driveline parts are more limited. The standard coil setup is harder to get flex out of, you need to do major mods to make it work well.

Marshwa
Post #33

Mods are much harder to come by for coil models as the US didn't get coily Samurais. Aftermarket suspension and driveline parts are more limited. The standard coil setup is harder to get flex out of, you need to do major mods to make it work well

SOunds fair enough, but still don't get why the coil would be harder to get the flex out of? can understand the importance of having bulk more parts thought as it will be fairly thrashed like most zooks are

neil_se
Post #34

Weak, short arms, poor geometry, weaker axles, etc. The coily Sierras just weren't built for offroad like the leafs.

DEADZOOK
Post #35

gti donks are good for on road, but shit for off cause you got fuck all tourq before 4 grand, so the slow shit is a bit against it- but dont get me wrong, its still worth it. the 1.6 injected vitara donk is the business and is relativly stiaght forward, where as the gti you have a few issues such as the dizzy being married to the firewall and the fucking round with getting the cooling system to run good cause none of that shit is staight forward.
as for the coily vs leaf.... is personal pref, i would never have another coily. both are bumpy as fuck to drive ( no difference at all), both have HEAPS of after market mods available. how ever there are more options for the leafys, easyer to build big and shit loads cheaper to lift, for eg.to lift a coily say....4 inchs in the suspension your looking at round 1000- 1500 if you do it right- fixing your caster on the front diff so the shit steers proper and geting coils and shocks ect. on a leaf i can spring it over and get 5-6 inch's for about a hundred bucks ( including making the purchs, new brake lines and a set if mec steering arms to give it hi steer, to an engineerable standard) and get enough flex to put one wheel on a 33 inch tire- about double what you can expect from a coily with the same lift ( remeber 1000-1500 is not going to get you progressive rate springs or coilovers that are pupose built). unless you go expensive aftermarket coils that are progressive rate you will never get the flex that a spungover leafy has. could argue the point all day back and forward, but til you investigate what it is you are after, what are gonna do with it and how much money you wanna spend you 'll bounce round undecided. it just comes down to what suits you... dry.gif
i tent to build em as to what they get driven. spring lift it, if its not big enough, spring it over- if it becomes too under powered give it a new heart....ect then you dont waste money on shit you dont need. i dont go toooo over board cause mine get DRIVEN HARD and rolled pretty regulary, but they never die. each to their own tho.....

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 2
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x