Help With Qld P's Turbo Exemption?  

S15 silvia
  • S15 silvia
  • Site Newbie
  • Member No.: 264,670
Post #1 post 4th September 2013 - 09:54 PM
Does anyone have any successful experience on being accepted? If so how did you do it?

Cheers
alpharx7
Post #3

copy pasta from another thread.

New QLD P-Plate Laws. 125kw/tonne

Alrighty, I don't want any hate, but I just want this to be some information out there for people who want to know and also an area to post up anything you know.

The new laws state that you can have a "Mildly Turbocharged vehicle"
Which means you can have a car that has no more than 125kw/tonne.
In saying this, you still NEED to apply for an exemption.

To figure out your kw/tonne, You divide your MAX "kw" performance as specified by the manufacturer by your vehicles curb weight. You then multiply by 1000.

For example, the S13 turbo:
curb weight: 1224kg
SR20DET: 151kw

151kw/1224kg x 1000 = 123kw/tonne = P PLATE LEGAL

I did calculations, the s14 turbo and s15 turbo are both out of the game

I have a thing for r32's. So I did some calculations.
RB20DET = LEGAL!
123.4kw/tonne.

So guys, looks like the government are actually using their heads now...Kind of.

So I put it to you, If you can think of any other cars which might fall under the 125kw/tonne category, do the calculations and post it up here. It would be interesting to see what qualifies for an exemption.

REMEMBER, Just because it comes under 125kw/tonne, DOES NOT MEAN that you can drive it on the streets straight away. You MUST apply for an exemption and be ACCEPTED!

KGO!

alpharx7
Post #4

click this link for the forms

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Gettin...e-vehicles.aspx

High-powered (performance) vehicle restriction

Print
Email
High-powered (performance) vehicle restrictions apply to P1 and P2 licence holders under the age of 25 years.

These restrictions also apply to probationary licence holders who return from a disqualification to a P1 or P2 probationary licence, when at the time of the offence they were under 25 years of age. These restrictions apply for the duration of the probationary period regardless of age.

High-powered (performance) vehicles include those with:
•eight or more cylinders
•a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
•an engine that has a power output of more than 210kW as per the manufacturer's specifications
•a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications
•a modified engine that must be approved under section 13 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010.

The following vehicles are exempt and can be driven:
•Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 657-698cc (1992-1997)
•Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible Turbo 4 659cc (2003 or later)
•Smart Fortwo Coupe 2D Turbo 3 698cc (2000 or later)
•Smart Fortwo Cabriolet Turbo 3 2D 698cc (2000 or later)
•Smart Roadster Turbo 3 2D 698cc (2000 or later)
•Toyota Landcruiser

Check if a vehicle is a high-powered (performance) vehicle*.

Certificate of exemption for driving a high-powered (performance) vehicle

If you hold a P1 or P2 licence you may be eligible for a certificate of exemption to enable you to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle. Please read the Certificate of Exemption high-powered vehicle Information Sheet (form S4478) for further information.

You are eligible to apply for an exemption to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle if you can prove that one of the following circumstances applies to you.

1. Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicle

You may apply for a certificate of exemption if the vehicle you wish to drive meets all of the following:
•has a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
•has a power-to-weight ratio of not more than 125kW/t
•does not have any other features of a high-powered vehicle as outlined above.

The power-to-weight ratio means the ratio (expressed in kilowatts per tonne) calculated by dividing the car’s maximum engine power in kilowatts by the kerb weight and multiplying the product of the division by 1000. For example, the power to weight ratio of a vehicle that has a maximum engine power of 195kW and a kerb weight of 1667kg would be calculated as follows: (195÷1667) × 1000 = 117kW/tonne

Check if your vehicle is a moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicle*.

2. Personal circumstances and severe hardship

You may apply for a certificate of exemption if you meet the following three criteria (as outlined in A, B and C) below:

A. You need to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle in at least one of the following circumstances:
•to, or from, your place of employment
•in the course of your employment
•to, or from, the education institution you attend
•to get medical treatment for yourself or a family member.

OR

The only car reasonably available for you to drive is a high-powered (performance) vehicle and at least one of the following circumstances applies:

it was owned by you on 30 June 2007 and is still owned by you

it is owned or leased by a member of your immediate family

it is in the possession of an immediate family member provided under an employment or salary package.

AND

B. There is no other transport reasonably available to you.

AND

C. Refusal to issue the certificate of exemption will cause severe hardship.

Your traffic history will also be taken into consideration if you are applying for an exemption on this basis.

For the purposes of a high-powered (performance) vehicle exemption an immediate family member is your spouse (includes a defacto partner), your parent or step parent, your grandparent or spouse of a grandparent, or your approved carer or guardian.

Further details of the definition of an immediate family member can be found in section 71 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Driver Licensing) Regulation 2010.

To apply for an exemption you must:

complete and submit a Certificate of exemption for driving a high-powered vehicle application (form F4467)

provide appropriate supporting documentation

pay the application fee.

Penalties

Failing to comply with the high-powered (performance) restrictions will lead to a fine and demerit points.
Drivers of high-powered (performance) vehicles that hold a certificate of exemption must produce this certificate when asked to by a police officer.

astorey
Post #5

if the car falls under the 125kw/tonne rule you'll 100% get it, it's just their process of determining car power as they don't have it on hand, it's not like the other ones where hardship/situation is taken into account.

Got one for 32 4 door last year when i was on P's. Sent my info in, 2 weeks later got it back.

KrisP
Post #6

The 125kw/tonne rule seems pointless to me.
its based on manufacturers spec, so if i was on my Ps i could buy an S13.. get an exemption... upgrade the turbo, header pipe and exhaust, stick on a front mount, ECU... suddenly i'm waaaaaay above 125kw/tonne and there's no process to check this.

NuckingFuts
Post #7

Until you crash it and your insurance is void.

S15 silvia
Post #8

QUOTE (astorey @ Sep 4 2013, 11:55 PM) *
if the car falls under the 125kw/tonne rule you'll 100% get it, it's just their process of determining car power as they don't have it on hand, it's not like the other ones where hardship/situation is taken into account.

Got one for 32 4 door last year when i was on P's. Sent my info in, 2 weeks later got it back.

what reason did you give them on your application? did you have to supply them with anything?

S15 silvia
Post #9

QUOTE (alpharx7 @ Sep 4 2013, 11:07 PM) *

Thankyou for the information, I have already read this was after what I should put on the form though so I can guarantee being accepted. But is a good reply and may help anyone else who is interested in doing the same thing as me. Cheers

S15 silvia
Post #10

QUOTE (KrisP @ Sep 5 2013, 07:41 AM) *
its based on manufacturers spec, so if i was on my Ps i could buy an S13.. get an exemption... upgrade the turbo, header pipe and exhaust, stick on a front mount, ECU... suddenly i'm waaaaaay above 125kw/tonne and there's no process to check this.

The modification law for P's still comes into effect and that is 'no aftermarket modifications that increase power'

QUOTE (KrisP @ Sep 5 2013, 07:41 AM) *

The modification law for P's still comes into effect and that is 'no aftermarket modifications that increase power'

S15 silvia
Post #11

QUOTE (alpharx7 @ Sep 4 2013, 11:03 PM) *
copy pasta from another thread.

You can get the S15 as long as its the Aus delivered "GT" as it only has 147kw

astorey
Post #12

QUOTE (S15 silvia @ Sep 5 2013, 09:41 AM) *
what reason did you give them on your application? did you have to supply them with anything?

You don't fill that out, skip all the hardship crap, you have to supply them with vehicle weight (either from manufacturer or weigh bridge) and engine output (same again)

I couldn't find either (weighbridge or manufacturer) so i printed out like 7 sources from the net of engine output/weight.

All i did was ticked the moderately powered stuff, skipped all the work/education crap.

The people at the desk that don't have a clue asked me why i didn't fill it out, had to tell them you don't need to.

S15 silvia
Post #13

ok, the stupid young guy told me I had to, If I doesn't get accepted I will put in another one again and hope for the best. I wrote on the form that the vehicle weighs 1240kg and has an output of 147kw. But I don't want to buy one until it gets accepted.

astorey
Post #14

You need to list vin and rego to get one so you can't get an exemption without those, you will get it 100% if it falls within the guidelines. Don't listen to the people at QT, call QT up and ask to speak to the exemptions people, they are the people that handle them.

S15 silvia
Post #15

So just one from a random car that's for sale? What about if the car that I use isn't the one im going to buy? Yeah I think I will be doing that if it fails.

mark1414
Post #16

Seriously, is it that hard? You have to get an exemption for the car you intend to buy ie DO NOT put down a random vin number from a s15 for sale because it will be granted to you to drive that car and that car only. Not another s15, only the s15 with that vin number.

astorey
Post #17

If it's under the 125kw/tonne rule it will get approved, don't worry about it i thought the same thing before i bought my 32. Call them up and ask for exemptions and they'll tell you what you need to.

and yes, the regi/vin/engine number is listed on the exemption letter you get.

S15 silvia
Post #18

So should I buy the car 1st? I don't want to own a car and not be approved to drive it.

S15 silvia
Post #19

I didn't put a reg or vin down for anything, just them make of the car. Hopefully they approve it anyway

mark1414
Post #20

No obviously dont buy the car first but when you have looked and found one you want put a deposit down and then get that exact car approved. I dont see how you will get it if you dont list a vin and rego (although admittidly I have not done it, just read about 100000 threads on here about it)

Locksta
Post #21

Any advice for if a car is just over the limit, I mean like 125.98 kW/t

Jdavi322
Post #22

QUOTE (Locksta @ Feb 25 2016, 08:21 PM) *
Any advice for if a car is just over the limit, I mean like 125.98 kW/t

im interested aswell im looking at an exemption for 125.5kw/t

paul.d.hogan101
Post #23

hi everyone

Sillytoe
Post #24

Lol just here to see if I can get an exemption to boost a 25 year old rav4

Curious to know how that s13 went tho

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x